OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 11:41:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Germans not thrilled with women bishops may convert to Orthodoxy  (Read 821 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: December 18, 2009, 04:36:02 PM »

I've never heard of the Association of Orthodox Experts but I'm very suspect that the Orthodox church will receive many converts in Germany, despite the election of a woman bishop of the EDK.

Moscow, December 17, Interfax – Discontent the Lutherans feel about election of Margot Kaessmann head of the Evangelical Church in Germany can result in outflow of their parishioners to more traditional Christian Churches, the Association of Orthodox Experts believes.

“Degradation of Protestant communities expressed in women bishops is a chance for Orthodox witness in Europe. All clearheaded Lutherans will turn to Orthodoxy as a leader of the World Council of Churches former pastor Karl Felmy did. He became an Orthodox Christian and theologian,” the Association said in its statement conveyed to Interfax-Religion on Thursday.

According to experts, Protestants are more likely to turn to Orthodoxy than to Catholicism, as “the stumbling block between Lutherans and Catholics is a dogma of papal impeccability.”

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=6747

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:48:50 PM »

A couple of problems I see with this article:

1.  I'm not aware that the Catholic Church has ever preached a dogma of papal impeccability, which means the pope is not capable of sinning.  The dogma to which so many non-Catholics object is papal infallibility.

2.  I'm not aware that joining the Russian Orthodox Church automatically makes one a Russophile.  (Follow the link to read the whole article, since scamandrius only posted enough of an excerpt to pique our curiosity.)  What about those who join the Russian Church just to become Orthodox?  Must they also embrace a love for all things Russian?  I didn't think that Orthodox and Russian were necessarily synonymous.

Overall, I'm not complaining at all about the circumstances in Germany and how this may drive many away from Lutheranism and toward more traditional churches, such as the Orthodox Church.  I'm complaining only about the Interfax article to which scamandrius posted a link, an article that I think could have been written much better.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:52:38 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:59:24 PM »

1.  I'm not aware that the Catholic Church has ever preached a dogma of papal impeccability, which means the pope is not capable of sinning.  The dogma to which so many non-Catholics object is papal infallibility.

Interfax sometimes has some wonky English translations. Most likely someone just got lost in the translation.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 06:48:17 PM »

PtA,

Yes, I balked at "impeccability" myself so I figured it was someone who wasn't well-versed in the particulars of the English Language.  I didn't post the article because of its factual content, but moreso because I don't know where they are getting the idea that German Lutherans will start coming over to the Orthodox Church, when a woman bishop, in German Lutheran theological thinking, is not such a firebrand issue.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: