OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 18, 2014, 05:59:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When to Put up Christmas Decorations  (Read 1551 times) Average Rating: 0
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« on: December 16, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »

Hi folks!

I have a question concerning putting up decorations for Christmas.  Our church always has a tree, greenery, wreaths, etc.

We celebrate January 7th.

The kids' parents requested that the tree go up this coming Sunday after Liturgy, after St. Nicholas visits (Dec. 20).  Most parishioners wouldn't see it until the next Sunday.  The following Sunday would be the 27th, and since many children are out of school that week, the families will be off on vacation, skiing, etc.  Since the children wanted to participate in preparing the church, this leaves me with a dilemma.

Is it proper or even acceptable to have the tree up a few weeks before the Nativity Celebration? 

I figured we might just put the tree up with the kids, and leave the rest of the lights, greenery, etc for a later date.

When I mentioned this, a few individuals in the church were aghast and upset.  I was accused of collaborating with American society and supporting "Latin" Christmas by decorating before December 25th.  It's not proper to have any decorations up during Lent, etc.

I completely understand.  However, is it truly wrong to put up just the tree?

What about a couple wreaths on the outside gates?  If I were the people living across the street from the church, I would think that those Orthodox don't even celebrate Christmas.  Everything all around is lit up, but, we don't even display a wreath, yet.

I would truly appreciate your opinions on this matter.

Please, don't tell me to go and ask the priest.  I don't want him to get stuck in the middle of it.  We have some very opinionated parishioners and I don't want his name tarnished in any of their discussions.

Thanks for your help.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 05:30:33 PM »

I think it would be appropriate to put up decorations in time for the Sunday of the Forefathers and leave them up till the Apodosis of Theophany.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »

Was it Christmas Tree in 19th century Russia?! IS OUTRAGE!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 11:42:32 AM »

Thanks, Cymbyz!  Sunday of the Forefathers falls on the 27th for us, which will be perfect!

Ukiemeister, Russia has nothing to do with this.  It's a Ukrainian church!   Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:54:14 PM »

We have some very opinionated parishioners

Opinionated parishoners? In a Ukrainian parish?! *SHOCKING!!!!* Tongue laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:56:05 PM »

Hard to believe, isn't it?

Grin

—St. Isaac of Syria
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 02:02:24 PM »

LO!!! Cheesy

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »

Liza, put up decorations when you want to, and take them down when you want to. You don't live in a monastery, so decorate your own house how you see fit. Perhaps this is not what is done in Ukraine, but you're not in Ukraine. Here we put up decorations at the beginning of Advent and take them down after Christmas. Since that is our tradition, you're just fine if you participate in our custom.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Michael L
Priest Michael

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:10:27 PM »

My goal is to usually have the Christmas Tree up by St. Nicholas Day and down by Theophany, but that is more in line with my American upbringing (when I was a kid mom had it up right after Thanksgiving). I don't necessarily think that this is playing into the New Calendar Christmas Conspiracy. LOL!

Also, like many other converts to Orthodoxy, my family and friends celebrate Christmas on the New Calendar and I feel it is important to celebrate with them (my fast is put to the test).  However, I know it is the Ukrainian, Russian, and coincidentally Polish (albeit new calendar) custom to put the Christmas Tree up on Christmas Eve. So if you where going to put the tree up a couple of weeks early I don't see why Dec. 20th would be any worse then the 27th. I know it is important to be sensitive to Old Country customs but I don't see anything wrong with having the tree up by Dec. 6/Dec. 19 for St. Nicholas day.

Either way I hope that you and your parish remember that what is truly important is that we a prepare for the coming of our Lord Jesus!
basilthefool

Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodox Metropolis of Boston (HOCNA)

htfulcher@comcast.net
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 10:28:39 PM »

Before my dear wife fell asleep in the Lord, we usually set up the decorations on the evening of the Sunday before Nativity (Sunday night). We kept them up until after Liturgy on the Feast of Theophany.
Tags: Decorations  Christmas  Julian Calendar 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: