OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 07:42:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 1133 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: December 16, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »

Avatar. Yeah. I don't care about this movie. So I figure, I leave it alone, it'll leave me alone. But no. It has to infiltrate one of the few TV shows that I watch (Bones) and make them do this entire subplot about some of the characters going to the movie. Admittedly, they did something like this before (with the Stewie/Family Guy thing)...  Angry Smiley

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 04:51:09 PM »

Avatar. Yeah. I don't care about this movie. So I figure, I leave it alone, it'll leave me alone. But no. It has to infiltrate one of the few TV shows that I watch (Bones) and make them do this entire subplot about some of the characters going to the movie. Admittedly, they did something like this before (with the Stewie/Family Guy thing)...  Angry Smiley

You must be entertained, citizen!   laugh  It's like Twilight; the more you try to ignore it the more people try to convert you to Team Edward.   Roll Eyes

That said, Mr. Y and I are going to see Avatar this weekend.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:53:13 PM by EofK » Logged

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 05:44:59 PM »

That said, Mr. Y and I are going to see Avatar this weekend.

Make sure to bring a barf bag.  There were several reports of people becoming nauseous and disoriented because of the 3D.  Grin

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »

I absolutely loved the show, when it was on. We had T.V. back than and I allowed my daughter to watch it. It was one of the more harmless shows on Nick. I love the whole "element bending" idea. Plus I'm a sucker for anything Martial Arts and Anime. Too many Kung Fu Theatres as a kid! Tongue

The character detail, tribal warfare, notions of ancient texts, astronomy, wierd animals etc...It's just too good!

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 05:59:12 PM »

I absolutely loved the show, when it was on. We had T.V. back than and I allowed my daughter to watch it. It was one of the more harmless shows on Nick. I love the whole "element bending" idea. Plus I'm a sucker for anything Martial Arts and Anime. Too many Kung Fu Theatres as a kid! Tongue

The character detail, tribal warfare, notions of ancient texts, astronomy, wierd animals etc...It's just too good!

Not the same story, unfortunately. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:13:41 PM »

How many Avatar's are there? I seem to remember Lego doing sets a few years ago based on... a cartoon (I think)?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 06:39:37 PM »

How many Avatar's are there? I seem to remember Lego doing sets a few years ago based on... a cartoon (I think)?

Avatar: The Last Airbender is the cartoon simplygermain was talking about.  
Avatar: The Last Airbender (also known as Avatar: The Legend of Aang)[1] is an American animated television series that aired for three seasons on Nickelodeon and the Nicktoons Network. The series was created and produced by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, who served as executive producers along with Aaron Ehasz. Avatar is set in an Asian-influenced world[2] of martial arts and elemental manipulation.

This Avatar movie is a whole other world, quite literally:
Avatar, also known as James Cameron's Avatar, is an American 3-D science fiction epic film written and directed by James Cameron, and was released on December 16, 2009[1] by 20th Century Fox. The film is co-produced by Lightstorm Entertainment, and focuses on an epic conflict on Pandora, an inhabited Earth-sized satellite of Polyphemus, one of three fictional gas giants orbiting Alpha Centauri A. On Pandora, human colonists and the sentient humanoid indigenous inhabitants of Pandora, the Na'vi, engage in a war over the planet's resources and the latter's continued existence.[5
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:40:39 PM by EofK » Logged

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »

Sorry guys! I guess I missed it last year when they finally released it (the movie ) ! Cheesy I meant the Last Airbender. If you haven't seen it, check it out. I'm going to rent that movie as soon as I can find it.

As for the Avatar movie out now, mmmeh. Undecided

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:21:07 PM »

simplygermain

I also enjoyed Avatar: The Last Airbender.  I kind of wish they would make a prequel, focusing on the life of Aang at the Air Temples as well as the life of the monks in general since they already completed the earth, water, and fire books.  Overall a great series to follow.
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 06:41:17 AM »

Has anyone seen "Avatar: The Last Airbender", the movie?

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 07:03:55 AM »

I wasn't all that thrilled at first, but what got me excited to see it is the technical aspects. This is the first film I'm aware of that actually uses facial motion capture. Up to this point, bodily movements were motion captured, but faces were animated a la Pixar in post-production. This process was one that really annoyed me about movies that used CGI animation (which is more and more Hollywood films these days): you couldn't see the acting ability of the cast (but maybe that was a good thing...). With facial motion capture, we should be able to see the dramatic effect of the actors, even when CGI is applied. I'm not one to believe hype, but this technique actually does hold great promise, if it's done correctly.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 10:52:54 AM »

I'm interested in the invented language in the movie.  (Nerd alert)

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: