OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:24:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is an Alleluiarion  (Read 856 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« on: December 16, 2009, 03:03:50 PM »

Finally, I'm going to be able to participate in the Vesperal Liturgy of St. Basil the Great on Christmas Eve.  The parish I attended never did it, for whatever reasons.  Going over the rubrics, before the Gospel begins, the Typicon indicates that an Alleluiarion is to be chanted in tone 8 with this text--

The Lord said unto my Lord:  Sit thou at my right hand until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
Verse:  A scepter of power shall the Lord send to thee out of Zion
Verse:  From the womb before the morning star I have begotten thee.

So, is the word Alleluia chanted at all?  Or do we chant "The Lord said unto my Lord..." after each of the verses. 

I don't think I've done anything quite like this before, well maybe at the Vesperal Liturgy of St. Basil on HOly Saturday.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 03:37:47 PM »

Well, to answer the thread title, the "Alleluarion" is the singing of the Alleluia in one of the modes.

The only time that I can recall "Alleluia" being replaced is your aforementioned Holy Saturday Paschal Vespers.  So "the Lord said..." would likely be the first verse to be sung with Alleluia in Plagal of the 4th Mode.  Then "A scepter..." with Alleluia, and then the final one.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »

This is actually what the typikon calls to be done before every gospel reading in the Liturgy. Most people think of the Alleluia as the ending of the Epistle reading because the verses for the Alleluia are found at the end of the Epistle reading but the Alleluia is an introit for the Gospel.

As Fr. George stated an "Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia" is done between each verse with a more majestic one after the last verse.

Also expanding on Fr. George's post, the replacement of Alleluia on Holy Saturday is the refrain "Arise O God..."

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: