OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 02:24:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Symeon and Ancestral Sin  (Read 1721 times) Average Rating: 0
StGeorge
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

St. George

« on: December 15, 2009, 10:18:58 PM »

I'm reading St. Symeon the New Theologian's The First-Created Man.  In Homily 37, section 3, he makes some interesting claims concerning "ancestral sin."  He says, among other things, that human nature is sinful from conception and birth, and that even infants who have not performed any sin are sinful by the ancestral sin. 

Can this be understood in an Orthodox way?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:04:32 PM »

I'm reading St. Symeon the New Theologian's The First-Created Man.  In Homily 37, section 3, he makes some interesting claims concerning "ancestral sin."  He says, among other things, that human nature is sinful from conception and birth, and that even infants who have not performed any sin are sinful by the ancestral sin.  

Since St Symeon was a deified, God-bearing Elder and Saint, the statement is an Orthodox statement by nature.  The question is how can we, in our fallen and ignorant way, properly put it in to context and understand it.

I think Psalm 50 makes it clear that we are conceived in iniquity and born in sin.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:06:24 PM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 11:42:32 PM »

I'm reading St. Symeon the New Theologian's The First-Created Man.  In Homily 37, section 3, he makes some interesting claims concerning "ancestral sin."  He says, among other things, that human nature is sinful from conception and birth, and that even infants who have not performed any sin are sinful by the ancestral sin. 

Since St Symeon was a deified, God-bearing Elder and Saint, the statement is an Orthodox statement by nature.  The question is how can we, in our fallen and ignorant way, properly put it in to context and understand it.

I think Psalm 50 makes it clear that we are conceived in iniquity and born in sin.

All right.
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 03:08:30 AM »

Because of ancestral sin, we are born into a fallen Creation, and are prone to sin and subject to death.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:08:19 AM »

Since St Symeon was a deified, God-bearing Elder and Saint, the statement is an Orthodox statement by nature.  The question is how can we, in our fallen and ignorant way, properly put it in to context and understand it.

So it is your contention that saints are... what? infallible?

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:15:28 AM »

No, but I am trying to offer a corrective to the approach that if we find a statement in a saint's writing that seems at odds with what modern theologians have interpreted Orthodox theology as, that we can assume that there was some kind of Western captivity or that the saint was wrong, and it's our job to excise the external influence.  I don't believe that saints are infallible, but I believe we should presume them to be correct unless we can find clear examples from other fathers that contradict them. I thought the way the question was phrased was backwards and I am trying to point that out. But I do recognize that saints can have errors in their writings.

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:35:18 AM »

In keeping with Fr. Anastios' point, if the OP could perhaps expand about what he finds problematic about St. Simeon's use of the term 'ancestral sin', he might get correspondingly more expansive answers. In terms of what he quoted, I didn't see anything you can't find in literally dozens of other Fathers so I wasn't even sure what he was questioning.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 11:41:11 AM »

No, but I am trying to offer a corrective to the approach that if we find a statement in a saint's writing that seems at odds with what modern theologians have interpreted Orthodox theology as, that we can assume that there was some kind of Western captivity or that the saint was wrong, and it's our job to excise the external influence.  I don't believe that saints are infallible, but I believe we should presume them to be correct unless we can find clear examples from other fathers that contradict them. I thought the way the question was phrased was backwards and I am trying to point that out. But I do recognize that saints can have errors in their writings.

Ahh, I understand now, thank you for your response.  Smiley

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 02:27:59 PM »

From what I understand, the OP is wondering whether the quote from St. Symeon is asserting that people inherit the guilt from ancestral sin. Is this correct, StGeorge?
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »

Regardless of what he said, we do inherit the effects of ancestral sin.  Adam sinned, and incurred Death.  Thereafter, all humans incur Death innately, and this drives us to sin, which only incurs Death.  To break this vicious cycle, Christ had to become Man, die, rise, and ascend for us, that we might be fully restored to that which God originally intended us to be.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:44:46 PM by Cymbyz » Logged

The end of the world
watch and pray.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 03:25:11 PM »

^Exactly.  We've inherited the corruption of ancestral sin but not the guilt.  At conception and birth we have been corrupted.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 11:27:21 PM »

From what I understand, the OP is wondering whether the quote from St. Symeon is asserting that people inherit the guilt from ancestral sin. Is this correct, StGeorge?

The passages from St. Symeon begin with the title, "A man is sinful from his very conception."  He states directly that human nature is sinful from conception, and he goes on to say that even those who have not committed any sin are already sinful.

He mentions that we are participants of the Ancestral Sin, although he nowhere mentions "guilt."

By my question, I was not impugning the orthodoxy of St. Symeon's words.  I just hope to understand what he is saying.  I've read and heard about how we share in the effects of Adam's fall, how we suffer corruptibility, suffering, death, but I have not come across mention of us actually being sinful from conception, and I'm wondering what he means by that.         
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:30:14 PM by StGeorge » Logged
StGeorge
High Elder

St. George

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 11:33:20 PM »

^Exactly.  We've inherited the corruption of ancestral sin but not the guilt.  At conception and birth we have been corrupted.

Is St. Symeon saying then, when he writes of being sinful from conception, that we are born with a human nature that bears the consequences of the fall, which lead men towards sin?--and not of an original sin, or a personal responsibility for the sin of Adam?   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 11:34:41 PM by StGeorge » Logged
Cymbyz
Elder

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 11:38:34 PM »

Yes.

The end of the world
watch and pray.

witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 01:04:34 AM »

Is St. Symeon saying then, when he writes of being sinful from conception, that we are born with a human nature that bears the consequences of the fall, which lead men towards sin?--and not of an original sin, or a personal responsibility for the sin of Adam?   

Remember the basic meaning of 'sin'. In Greek, it is 'to miss the mark' i.e., to not be perfect. The effect of Adam's sin is that human nature is separated from God. We are born separated from God. That is why we are subject to death (because we are separated from the ultimate source of Life) and why we are inherently sinful (because we are separated from the ultimate source of goodness). We aren't 'guilty' until we actually sin ourselves, but we are separated from God which by definition means we are sinful.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 02:23:12 AM »

So we then are born sinful, or with sin?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 02:24:02 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Tags: Original Sin saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: