OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 59886 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1260 on: August 28, 2013, 12:27:18 PM »

And........no one is going to tell my wife I posted that picture...Right??

I won't.  Why?  Is she like my wife where horses can not be eaten under any circumstances?

Yup..Pretty much.. She rides the damn things and seems to like them very much.

I intend to try goat meat after the Dormition Fast ends tomorrow. The problem is that the only place I know to get it is at the local Muslim butcher..

Sprinkle liberally with holy water, smoke with incense, broil one hour.

Why is that a problem?

The terrorists win...haven't you heard?  This is pretty much the case, except independent butchers.  Regular/Kosher/Halal should all be able to get goat readily.  Besides incense (smoked meat Grin) how are you going to prepare it?  Goat fricaseed is good.

The terrorists win Huh Roll Eyes Shocked  Okay...silly me. Cool

Moroccan earwax goes especially well with fricasseed goat--even better than with horse.  Better than almost any other kind, as far as my experience informs me.

Don't disregard Tunisian earwax, my friend.  But if we go with the oenological approach of terroir it's important to match the ingredients (or the dish style) with the earwax.  So, say the goat is going to be prepared in a Jamaican-style goat curry; it's important to get Jamaican earwax to complement the dish.  Same as you wouldn't put Italian extra virgin olive oil in New England clam chowder or soy sauce in a bouillabaisse.  Any Caribbean earwax could work, but Jamaican (organic and gently fracked from virgin ears goes without saying) would be best for this example.

Your title of "O Waxy One" is justly deserved.  My jaw drops yet again in awe of your unparalleled waxiness.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:27:45 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1261 on: August 28, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »

I won't.  Why?  Is she like my wife where horses can not be eaten under any circumstances?

I intend to try goat meat after the Dormition Fast ends tomorrow. The problem is that the only place I know to get it is at the local Muslim butcher..

Why is that a problem?

The terrorists win...haven't you heard?  This is pretty much the case, except independent butchers.  Regular/Kosher/Halal should all be able to get goat readily.  Besides incense (smoked meat Grin) how are you going to prepare it?  Goat fricaseed is good.

The terrorists win Huh Roll Eyes Shocked  Okay...silly me. Cool

Moroccan earwax goes especially well with fricasseed goat--even better than with horse.  Better than almost any other kind, as far as my experience informs me.

Don't disregard Tunisian earwax, my friend.  But if we go with the oenological approach of terroir it's important to match the ingredients (or the dish style) with the earwax.  So, say the goat is going to be prepared in a Jamaican-style goat curry; it's important to get Jamaican earwax to complement the dish.  Same as you wouldn't put Italian extra virgin olive oil in New England clam chowder or soy sauce in a bouillabaisse.  Any Caribbean earwax could work, but Jamaican (organic and gently fracked from virgin ears goes without saying) would be best for this example.

Your title of "O Waxy One" is justly deserved.  My jaw drops yet again in awe of your unparalleled waxiness.

I must ear the title rightly, my brother.  It is a heavy cross I must bear justly and true.  As the famous theologian John H. Miller said as he was dying on a bridge in France:  "Earn this.  Earn it."  I must stay the course.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1262 on: August 28, 2013, 03:21:11 PM »

Why is that a problem?

Muslim butchers around here are "Halal", "Kosher" for Islam.. Certain prayers are said over it..

Would you eat food taken from a Hindu alter that was offred to Vishnu first?

I dunno

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1263 on: August 28, 2013, 03:22:34 PM »

I don't know how to cook goat.. Will google I guess.

If you have a suggestion then that would be helpful.

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #1264 on: August 28, 2013, 03:30:56 PM »

Why is that a problem?

Muslim butchers around here are "Halal", "Kosher" for Islam.. Certain prayers are said over it..

I dunno

I dunno, either.  I also can't see that that's very likely to happen. 

If you're seriously interested in goat meat, you could try these folks: http://www.goatmeats.com/ or...http://getyourgoatmeat.com/

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1265 on: August 28, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »

Not likely to happen. Food offerings in Hinduism are meant to be consumed by the priesthood or given back to the offerer.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1266 on: August 28, 2013, 06:00:49 PM »

Why is that a problem?

I dunno
I have eaten kosher meat many times and never thought about it. Would that be a sin, if the prayers offered over it are by people who definitively reject Christ? Generally, then is it a sin in the Orthodox Church to eat kosher meat blessed by a rabbi or kosher food, halal food, or hindu blessed food? Does this sin have to be confessed according to Orthodox Church teaching? Also, I ate halal lamb on one occasion. Was that a sin? How serious a sin is that according to your belief?
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1267 on: August 28, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »

St Paul covered that in Romans 14.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1268 on: August 29, 2013, 12:44:36 AM »

So why are people here making a big deal about eating meat blessed by a Hindu?
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1269 on: August 29, 2013, 12:48:37 AM »

Weren't those guys mostly vegetarian?

Maybe because eating such consecrated foods comes with the territory of attending Hare Krshna ceremonies & banquets.

There's also Acts 15:28-29: "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things."

Btw, do you know the story about St. Theodore Tyro's kolyva?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 01:03:32 AM by Romaios » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1270 on: August 29, 2013, 03:19:36 AM »

Weren't those guys mostly vegetarian?

Maybe because eating such consecrated foods comes with the territory of attending Hare Krshna ceremonies & banquets.

There's also Acts 15:28-29: "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things."

Btw, do you know the story about St. Theodore Tyro's kolyva?
I just bought at Costco some Hebrew National frankfurts, which I guess are kosher. Is it OK if I eat them?
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1271 on: August 29, 2013, 03:27:31 AM »

I just bought at Costco some Hebrew National frankfurts, which I guess are kosher. Is it OK if I eat them?

Unless kosher is synonymous with "sacrificed to idols" for you, I guess so.

As far as I know, such foods are certified by rabbis to be in accordance with the Mosaic dietary standards, i.e. animals should be sacrificed in such a way that most blood is drained, etc. Nobody prays over them... Not until they're actually on the table, that is.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:49:52 AM by Romaios » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1272 on: August 29, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »

Halal--

Halal is an Arabic word meaning "lawful" or "permissible." The term covers not only food and drink, but also all matters of daily life. Halal foods are foods that Muslims are allowed to eat or drink under Islamic Shariʻah. The criteria specify both what foods are allowed, and how the food must be prepared. The foods addressed are mostly types of meat and animal tissue.

The most common example of non-halal (or haraam) food is pork. While pork is the only meat that cannot be eaten by Muslims at all (due to perceived hygienic concerns), foods other than pork can also be haraam. The criteria for non-pork items include its source, the cause of the animal's death, and how it was processed.

The food must come from a supplier that uses halal practices. Specifically, the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of Allah") and then three times "Allahu akbar" (God is the greatest). Then, the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck (while the animal is conscious), causing the animal’s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halal

Others here more knowledgeable than I might be able to comment as to whether, on the basis of the above, the meat has been "sacrificed to idols".

As we pray to God before our meals that He "bless the food and drink of thy servants", might this not override any previous blessing by heretics/schismatics/etc.?

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1273 on: August 29, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »

Sounds suspiciously kosher.
Among other features, shechita slaughter severs the jugular vein, carotid artery, esophagus, and trachea in a single continuous cutting movement with an unserrated, sharp knife.... As much blood as possible must be removed (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher#Kosher_slaughter)
Halal--

Halal is an Arabic word meaning "lawful" or "permissible." The term covers not only food and drink, but also all matters of daily life. Halal foods are foods that Muslims are allowed to eat or drink under Islamic Shariʻah. The criteria specify both what foods are allowed, and how the food must be prepared. The foods addressed are mostly types of meat and animal tissue.

The most common example of non-halal (or haraam) food is pork. While pork is the only meat that cannot be eaten by Muslims at all (due to perceived hygienic concerns), foods other than pork can also be haraam. The criteria for non-pork items include its source, the cause of the animal's death, and how it was processed.

The food must come from a supplier that uses halal practices. Specifically, the slaughter must be performed by a Muslim, who must precede the slaughter by invoking the name of Allah, most commonly by saying "Bismillah" ("In the name of Allah") and then three times "Allahu akbar" (God is the greatest). Then, the animal must be slaughtered with a sharp knife by cutting the throat, windpipe and the blood vessels in the neck (while the animal is conscious), causing the animal’s death without cutting the spinal cord. Lastly, the blood from the veins must be drained.

Others here more knowledgeable than I might be able to comment as to whether, on the basis of the above, the meat has been "sacrificed to idols".

As we pray to God before our meals that He "bless the food and drink of thy servants", might this not override any previous blessing by heretics/schismatics/etc.?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1274 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »

Why is that a problem?

I dunno

I dunno, either.  I also can't see that that's very likely to happen. 

If you're seriously interested in goat meat, you could try these folks: http://www.goatmeats.com/ or...http://getyourgoatmeat.com/

Hindu's push sanctified food on gringo's because they beleive it will plant a karmic seed within your life-stream. Havent you ever run into Hare Krishna's? They are very anxious to feed you "Prashadem" sanctified food.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1275 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »

Why is that a problem?

I dunno
I have eaten kosher meat many times and never thought about it. Would that be a sin, if the prayers offered over it are by people who definitively reject Christ? Generally, then is it a sin in the Orthodox Church to eat kosher meat blessed by a rabbi or kosher food, halal food, or hindu blessed food? Does this sin have to be confessed according to Orthodox Church teaching? Also, I ate halal lamb on one occasion Was that a sin? How serious a sin is that according to your belief?

Kosher is fine. Witness how often Manashevitz wine is used in Church .

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1276 on: August 29, 2013, 10:44:48 AM »

Yes.  They are amazingly similar.  Well, not so amazing, really.  But...my questions remain unanswered.

Among other features, shechita slaughter severs the jugular vein, carotid artery, esophagus, and trachea in a single continuous cutting movement with an unserrated, sharp knife.... As much blood as possible must be removed (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosher#Kosher_slaughter)
Halal--

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1277 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:30 AM »

Yes.  They are amazingly similar.  Well, not so amazing, really.  But...my questions remain unanswered.

Halal--

Here is my ruling:  I do not claim to be knowledgeable.

As to your question, in my opinion, halal meat is not being sacrificed to idols, but, if in fear, make sure you pray before your meal.  If Christ trampled death by death, can He not save you from food?

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1278 on: August 29, 2013, 11:59:04 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, the butcher's prayers dedicate their task to their deity. The meat doesn't change in any way - I don't believe in talismans.

The sharing of food does create bonds (cultural, if not spiritual) between people, so participating in a seder or iftar is something to think about, but I couldn't care less if what I'm buying for my own and my family's use conforms to kosher/halal rules or not.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1279 on: August 29, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, the butcher's prayers dedicate their task to their deity. The meat doesn't change in any way - I don't believe in talismans.

The sharing of food does create bonds (cultural, if not spiritual) between people, so participating in a seder or iftar is something to think about, but I couldn't care less if what I'm buying for my own and my family's use conforms to kosher/halal rules or not.

I think that's an important aspect to consider.  The butcher is not sacrificing the animal to their god, merely killing it for consumption.

If the only place I can buy goat meat is at a halal butcher, then so be it.  It's hard enough to get a fresh whole suckling pig from a butcher nowadays.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1280 on: August 29, 2013, 12:15:12 PM »

+1 
Thank you!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1281 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »

I think that's an important aspect to consider.  The butcher is not sacrificing the animal to their god, merely killing it for consumption.

If the only place I can buy goat meat is at a halal butcher, then so be it.  It's hard enough to get a fresh whole suckling pig from a butcher nowadays.

That's pretty much what I thought. 

Thanks!

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1282 on: August 29, 2013, 12:34:01 PM »

Halal--

Here is my ruling:  I do not claim to be knowledgeable.

As to your question, in my opinion, halal meat is not being sacrificed to idols, but, if in fear, make sure you pray before your meal.  If Christ trampled death by death, can He not save you from food?

Slippery slope.. That is like doing as you please because you know you can go to confession later.

God can wipe away the taint of food being offered to idols or a false God of course.. However, we should still avoid eating such things.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1283 on: August 29, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

I don't know how to cook goat.. Will google I guess.

If you have a suggestion then that would be helpful.

Here you go, some recipes:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Spiced-Goat-Rice-Pilaf
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/spinach-cappellacci-with-goat-ragu
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Goat-Curry
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Melt-in-the-Mouth-Kid-Goat-Kebabs
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Birria-Goat-or-Lamb-with-Sauce
I've eaten plenty of goat, but never have cooked it.  My suggestion, having cooked random things many times, go with the ragu and cook it slow.  Don't worry about making your own pasta (unless you are adept at that).  For most goat recipes, low and slow is the key.  Disclaimer:  I have not tried these recipes, but I have done several recipes from Saveur magazine (nice mag filled with food porn, but I'm not willing to pay for a subscription) and have never disappinted myself or my guests.  I guess that counts for something.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1284 on: August 29, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »

Slippery slope.. That is like doing as you please because you know you can go to confession later.

God can wipe away the taint of food being offered to idols or a false God of course. However, we should still avoid eating such things.

Not really.  If we look at the Scriptures, Daniel and his friends refused food cooked and prepared for the Babylonian gods.  Here's the key.  The food was prepared for the idols as if the idols themselves would/could partake of it and be pleased.  A portion of this was taken for the king's household.  Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but the king was a god himself, worthy of worship.  As a god, he was going to give his household his food.

This is different from the Kosher board subscribing to dietary laws in the Torah or the local Muslim butcher praying before he slays an animal.

Avoid if it will lead you to sin.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1285 on: August 29, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »

Island Pride Jamaican Restaurant directly across the main road where I live has curry goat.

There is also a new Chinese restaurant that has all kinds of organ meat dishes, "pork innards soup" etc.. Couldn't try during the Fast but I can now..

Does curry goat and pork innards soup go well to together?

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1286 on: August 29, 2013, 12:44:34 PM »

If you ever visit Athens, the central meat market is the place to find mageiritsa year-round. Wink

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1287 on: August 29, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »

God can wipe away the taint of food being offered to idols or a false God of course. However, we should still avoid eating such things.

Not really.  If we look at the Scriptures, Daniel and his friends refused food cooked and prepared for the Babylonian gods.  Here's the key.  The food was prepared for the idols as if the idols themselves would/could partake of it and be pleased.  A portion of this was taken for the king's household.  Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but the king was a god himself, worthy of worship.  As a god, he was going to give his household his food.

This is different from the Kosher board subscribing to dietary laws in the Torah or the local Muslim butcher praying before he slays an animal.

I understand that eating sacrificial food like from Hindu's is definitely out. However, it may be problematic eating food that was given a blessing via a false God.

To make an extreme example what if a Satanist blessed some food via  a Satanic invocation...?

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1288 on: August 29, 2013, 12:51:10 PM »

I understand that eating sacrificial food like from Hindu's is definitely out. However, it may be problematic eating food that was given a blessing via a false God.

To make an extreme example what if a Satanist blessed some food via  a Satanic invocation...?

If you know, don't take it. If you don't know, they'll probably be disappointed when it fails to give you whatever cooties they planned. Cheesy

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1289 on: August 29, 2013, 01:26:56 PM »

That is extreme.  I don't know any Satanists.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1290 on: August 29, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »

Island Pride Jamaican Restaurant directly across the main road where I live has curry goat.

There is also a new Chinese restaurant that has all kinds of organ meat dishes, "pork innards soup" etc.. Couldn't try during the Fast but I can now..

Does curry goat and pork innards soup go well to together?
You mean like blended in a smoothie?  Or eaten at the same time?  Why not?  I would.  Also, if the owners are willing, ask for recipes or tips on how to prepare the goat.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1291 on: August 29, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »

So what. Suppose a Satanist in San Francisco has invoked Satan and has placed a Satanic curse on all grass fed beef in North America. Would that stop you from eating grass fed beef? How would you know about it anyway? Maybe he already did so. Are we supposed to worry about it?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1292 on: August 29, 2013, 09:38:41 PM »

Do you know any Muslim butchers?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1293 on: August 29, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »

So what. Suppose a Satanist in San Francisco has invoked Satan and has placed a Satanic curse on all grass fed beef in North America. Would that stop you from eating grass fed beef? How would you know about it anyway? Maybe he already did so. Are we supposed to worry about it?

Nice stretch... If someone with a noxious or openly evil religion "blesses" the food you are about to eat would you eat it?

You apparently wouldn't mind. Thanks for weighing in.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1294 on: August 30, 2013, 03:18:17 AM »

Nice stretch... If someone with a noxious or openly evil religion "blesses" the food you are about to eat would you eat it?
The stretch is yours with Satanists invoking curses on the food you eat. Why is it not possible for a Satanist somewhere on earth to invoke Satan and curse all the grass fed meat in the world. Should we worry about it? How would it affect the grass fed beef in any way?
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1295 on: August 30, 2013, 05:56:27 AM »

How would someone else 'bless' the food I am about to eat? Do waiters do that in your neck of the woods? Or perhaps the colleague sitting next to me in the office break room would start chanting hexes over my sandwiches?

You apparently wouldn't mind. Thanks for weighing in.

I definitely don't believe their mumbo jumbo trumps 'Bless us, O Lord, and these thy gifts of which we are about to partake'.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1296 on: August 30, 2013, 06:34:31 AM »

On a personal level, no.  I have bought meat and other sundry items from Muslim butchers.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1297 on: August 30, 2013, 09:06:55 AM »

On a personal level, no.  I have bought meat and other sundry items from Muslim butchers.

As have I.  The majority of shop owners, butchers, fish-mongers, and kebab stand owners and workers where we lived in England were Muslim.  We frequented their businesses regularly.  As far as I am able to discern, neither I nor my wife have suffered any ill effect from that.  (That's not to say that someone with powers of discernment far better and greater than ours wouldn't find something, though  Grin.)

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1298 on: August 30, 2013, 09:21:22 AM »

The stretch is yours with Satanists invoking curses on the food you eat. Why is it not possible for a Satanist somewhere on earth to invoke Satan and curse all the grass fed meat in the world. Should we worry about it? How would it affect the grass fed beef in any way?

Or maybe Aliens from the planet Alderone ..Could happen.

I gave an extreme example to illustrate the dilemma..You took things even further not to clarify but to confound. You would rather detour the conversation to the nature of the example than deal with the actual question.

Here is the question once again. If someone from a Pagan or Muslim religion "Blessed" your food, would you be comfortable still eating it?

I think that is a judgement call. You seem not to be concerned. Thanks for your vote.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:22:20 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1299 on: August 30, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »

I gave an extreme example to illustrate the dilemma..You took things even further not to clarify but to confound. You would rather detour the conversation to the nature of the example than deal with the actual question.

Here is the question once again. If someone from a Pagan or Muslim religion "Blessed" your food, would you be comfortable still eating it?

I think that is a judgement call. You seem not to be concerned. Thanks for your vote.

If some amorphous ill defined evil person put a general curse on all the foods I prefer to eat ( like grass fed beef) I probably would not care.

If I went to a Halal butcher who blessed the very food I was about to eat, I would care and pay some attention to the situation. My Priest has mentioned in passing not to eat Halal meat, so I am pretty sure there is a divided opinion among Orthodox concerning food "Blessed" by Muslims. I would expect that food offered on a Hindu Altar, like what the Hare Krishna's serve, would be strictly off limits.

That's my vote
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:30:00 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1300 on: August 30, 2013, 09:50:29 AM »

If some amorphous ill defined evil person put a general curse on all the foods I prefer to eat ( like grass fed beef) I probably would not care.

If I went to a Halal butcher who blessed the very food I was about to eat, I would care and pay some attention to the situation. My Priest has mentioned in passing not to eat Halal meat, so I am pretty sure there is a divided opinion among Orthodox concerning food "Blessed" by Muslims. I would expect that food offered on a Hindu Altar, like what the Hare Krishna's serve, would be strictly off limits.

That's my vote

Then listen to what your priest says.  It's a pastoral issue, not a dogmatic one.  Worry about what comes out of your mouth rather than what goes in.  Your extreme examples are just that...extreme.  Realistically, if I knew someone place a curse on food I was about to purchase, no big deal, I wouldn't purchase it.  If I unknowingly consume food that has been "cursed," I trust God will protect me.  If not, then that is His will.  I've eaten at Turkish restarants, eaten halal chicken and beef, and have been in Muslim households. In the last example, I was served halal food and I ate it. It would have been an insult and an affront to the hospitality provided to me to refuse because maybe prayers to Allah were made during the preparation of the food.

A different example, I was in a Vietnamese household.  Traditionally, food and incense is placed before the statue of Buddha.  In this case, I would not eat of that food, because it was offered specifically for the Buddha as an offering.  Which goes back to my example of Daniel in the Bible.  There's a difference in what you are saying and what happens in the daily goings-on in a Muslim butcher shop or restaurant.  Even an Indian restaurant.  

Do you go to Chinese restaurants?  More often than not, there is a Buddha.  Do you eat food prepared there?  By your logic, you shouldn't.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 09:51:58 AM by hecma925 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1301 on: August 30, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »

That's my vote

Then listen to what your priest says.  It's a pastoral issue, not a dogmatic one.  Worry about what comes out of your mouth rather than what goes in.  Your extreme examples are just that...extreme.  Realistically, if I knew someone place a curse on food I was about to purchase, no big deal, I wouldn't purchase it.  If I unknowingly consume food that has been "cursed," I trust God will protect me.  If not, then that is His will.  I've eaten at Turkish restarants, eaten halal chicken and beef, and have been in Muslim households. In the last example, I was served halal food and I ate it. It would have been an insult and an affront to the hospitality provided to me to refuse because maybe prayers to Allah were made during the preparation of the food.

A different example, I was in a Vietnamese household.  Traditionally, food and incense is placed before the statue of Buddha.  In this case, I would not eat of that food, because it was offered specifically for the Buddha as an offering.  Which goes back to my example of Daniel in the Bible.  There's a difference in what you are saying and what happens in the daily goings-on in a Muslim butcher shop or restaurant.  Even an Indian restaurant.  

Do you go to Chinese restaurants?  More often than not, there is a Buddha.  Do you eat food prepared there?  By your logic, you shouldn't.

Did you miss the part where I wrote "It's a judgement call" ?

My son's old Karate Dojo had a Kami Dan on the wall. It "Houses" various Japanese demi-Gods and the like. It made me uncomfortable. i mentioned it to the teacher who happened to be Greek Orthodox of all things.. He listened but never did anything about it. I did not pull my kid from the class....

I think reasonableness rules the day. It    is   a    judgement    call     in my opinion. There is no blanket rule for many of these situations which are rather gray. If you think it never matters or doesn't matter much, then good luck to you.   

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1302 on: August 30, 2013, 10:54:57 AM »

Yes, it is a judgment call as are many things in life, such as the example at the dojo.  And you are right that there is no blanket rule.  That statement can be the blanket answer to every thread on every forum that has a (non)controversial topic.  I think we can both agree that when you wrote that it is a problem that the only source for goat meat is a Muslim butcher, it's because we don't really know why it can be a problem.  We can only go with our conscience and some guidance (hopefully) from a spiritual guide.  I never wrote that it doesn't matter at all, but clarification for your concern was warranted.

Good luck, wherever you are able to get goat meat.  There may be some online delivery sources too.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1303 on: August 30, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »

Yes, it is a judgment call as are many things in life, such as the example at the dojo.  And you are right that there is no blanket rule.  That statement can be the blanket answer to every thread on every forum that has a (non)controversial topic.  I think we can both agree that when you wrote that it is a problem that the only source for goat meat is a Muslim butcher, it's because we don't really know why it can be a problem.  We can only go with our conscience and some guidance (hopefully) from a spiritual guide.  I never wrote that it doesn't matter at all, but clarification for your concern was warranted.

Good luck, wherever you are able to get goat meat.  There may be some online delivery sources too.

The Jamaican restaurant across the street has curry goat.. I assume they don't pray over it before serving.

Cant do meant today but maybe tomorrow

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1304 on: August 30, 2013, 12:38:13 PM »

I thought they prayed to Jah? Grin While incensing the meat with primo ganja...

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: