OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:48:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 60565 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #720 on: June 04, 2012, 12:12:07 AM »

That Western Diet man, another product of how awful the Enlightment was to us. Agriculture? Pfft.

I kid...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #721 on: June 04, 2012, 12:19:03 AM »

Totally off subject (or is this back on subject?)... It's about diet and nutrition minus eskimo's and whales...

I try and eat about 5 to 6 small meals a day rather than three large meals per day.  Some time back, I wrote about making smoothies with fruits and veggies (such as three mangoes and two handfuls of spinach.  Sounds disgusting but you can't taste the spinach!).  Anyway, after a year of smoothie free living, I started adding protein powder to these smoothies so that now, twice a day (three on fasting days), I get fruits, vegetables and protein in one simple smoothie.  My energy level is increasing, my skin looks great, I'm dropping LB's and my mood has vastly improved.  All you need is a decent blender and a willingness to try something new.  Bah dot bop bop bah, I'm Lovin' It.

What kind of blender are you using and can you give a brotha some recipes?

I've heard alot about smoothies helping your skin.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #722 on: June 04, 2012, 12:27:28 AM »

I would like to make a drive-by post and say I was morbidly obese seven years ago. I lost 110 pounds over 18 months and am now in the normal weight range for my height (and have been stable within 10 pounds since). I drink soda (mostly diet), sugary drinks, processed food, and all that jazz. I do not exercise aside from taking occasional walks around my neighborhood. All I did to lose the weight is limit myself to 1200 calories per day. It apparently worked quite well. Now I eat pretty much whatever, and generally stick around 2000-2500 calories per day.

My blood pressure and all those standard medical measurements are normal and healthy. I don't even have dental cavities. (I haven't had my chakras checked though, so I could be wrong.) This is the "Put It Down, Fatty!" diet. (Find my book on Lulu.com.) (Mike Huckabee also lost 110 pounds, but he's fatter every time I see him on TV, so he's not putting it down.)

But seriously, I think if people would just watch it a bit, didn't stuff their faces with every food they see, they'd get 75% of the way to optimal healthfulness. The last 25% is vanity.

I think people can spend a lot of effort worrying about all this minutae. My aunt does that. She won't use tupperware (it's plastic, full of chemicals and impurities), she's obsessed with natural stuff. So she squeezes another year of life out of it; I don't think it's worth the grief. Judging from the family history, she'll probably have a stroke when she's 75 regardless.

Just my thoughts.

Incidentally, I had some delicious cake (off a styrofoam plate) after Pentecost vespers this evening. Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:34:52 AM by age234 » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #723 on: June 04, 2012, 12:43:46 AM »

Totally off subject (or is this back on subject?)... It's about diet and nutrition minus eskimo's and whales...

I try and eat about 5 to 6 small meals a day rather than three large meals per day.  Some time back, I wrote about making smoothies with fruits and veggies (such as three mangoes and two handfuls of spinach.  Sounds disgusting but you can't taste the spinach!).  Anyway, after a year of smoothie free living, I started adding protein powder to these smoothies so that now, twice a day (three on fasting days), I get fruits, vegetables and protein in one simple smoothie.  My energy level is increasing, my skin looks great, I'm dropping LB's and my mood has vastly improved.  All you need is a decent blender and a willingness to try something new.  Bah dot bop bop bah, I'm Lovin' It.

What kind of blender are you using and can you give a brotha some recipes?

I've heard alot about smoothies helping your skin.

It's just a decent Oster blender.  Just make sure you have a 'liquify' option. 

Recipes:
1.  My fave is the mango/spinach one I mentioned earlier.

2. Another good one is apple/mango/broccoli (although I have to take beano before I consume broccoli or I catch hell from the wife!  Cheesy)

3. Three apples/two carrots/ 1/4 ginger root/ honey.  Mighty fine!

Those are the three I stick to, but the possibilities are endless.  Lemme know what you come up with!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #724 on: June 04, 2012, 12:47:34 AM »

Ah man ginger root is really nice.

Mmm spinach.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #725 on: June 04, 2012, 01:13:58 AM »

Ah man ginger root is really nice.

Mmm spinach.

Dude, you are a "top shelf" man. Nothing beats the Vita-Mix for the most widely available "blender".

Go direct not from a retailer to save $100 or so.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #726 on: June 04, 2012, 01:26:33 AM »

Man that Vita-Mix sure is one serious blender.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #727 on: June 04, 2012, 01:42:28 AM »

Man that Vita-Mix sure is one serious blender.

It will allow you to add a little fiber to your diet with those avocado pits, seeds, rock, or whatever is inside of an avocado.

Really, its basically what most drink places use. It last forever, cleans up nicely, and RELATIVELY quiet for the power you get.

It laughs at ice.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #728 on: June 04, 2012, 02:43:55 AM »

You don't like the taste of spinach!?!  If you're looking for ways to sneak more into your diet in creative ways that don't overly spinachy, try green borsht. 
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #729 on: June 04, 2012, 02:50:19 AM »

I understand what you are saying. But what it comes back to are the two alternate theories. You can buy into the idea that obesity is primarily caused by "An imbalance of calories". You take in more calories than you burn. "Calories in Calories out".. That is the basis of your explanation. People are eating more and are less active, therefore they are getting fat.

The alternate theory I would like you to consider has a different definition of obesity. Rather than a "Calorie Imbalance" it is really a hormonal imbalance, too much insulin. Obesity is defined as your body holding onto too much fat.  The reason you body holds on to too much fat is because insulin causes fat accumulation. Insulin is driven to high levels by consuming carbohydrates, especially from sugar and highly processed foods because there is little to no fiber to buffer the insulin hit.  

Sixty percent of adults in this country are overweight or obese. I don't how things are in the Ukraine.

That'd be interesting if I never saw any fat people in a village.  Their diet consists heavily of eggs, meat and salo.  Rye is the predominate grain (not white flour!).  Sugar is too expensive to be used often.  It is still possible to get fat on such a diet.  Not eating carbs isn't everything.  You still have to have portion control.  BTW, in modern usage it is Ukraine without a definite article. 
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #730 on: June 04, 2012, 04:23:41 AM »

BTW, Marc - how many carbs do you think a person can / should have per day in a healthy, balanced diet and not under extreme situations (i.e not eating only whale blubber)? 
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #731 on: June 04, 2012, 08:58:31 AM »

Zombies are thin because they live off of meat and brains.

I'm going to need this.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #732 on: June 04, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

Is it possible the (allegedly) shortened lifespans are due to the fact that I'm guessing it's hard to get good fruits and vegetables half the year up there?

I'm just wondering. It could be part of it.

They shop at the same supermarkets as the same Canadians who have one of the highest lifespans in the world. According to Marc, this is because whale hunting is so dangerous. Too bad they only take one whale ever other year.

LOL... My witness ?

Q..Do Eskimo's (Inuits)  still hunt whales?

A. Yes they do.

Q. How many each year?

A. About 15 to 17 each year. It's highly regulated. Inuits take about 15 in Alaska every year and one or two in Canada.

Summary:

Inuits live a shorter lifespan than other Canadians. Since we now know that there is less whale meat available to them in Canada than in the USA that could be a contributing cause based on the idea's of the alternative theories ( Paleo, Gary Taubes, Weston Price etc.) that we have been discussing. The lack of whale meat is evidence for their case not against it.

It would be interesting to compare the health of the seven Inuit communities in Alaska that have enough whale meat to the Canadian Inuits.

No one said, certainly not me that THE reason Canadian Eskimo's live a shorter life is solely due to Whale hunting. That is a dishonest stretch of this conversation.

Canadian Eskimo's live in a harsher environment, they are far poorer, they have fewer resources and now thanks to Sauron we know that they are deprived of at least one of their health giving Traditional Foods.

Also, Aboriginal people are hit harder than other populations when Sugar  and grains and junk food is introduced into their diet. The same with alcohol and the same with infectious diseases. So Eskimo's can eat the same foods as English Canadians living in Toronto but be hit harder with diabetes and obesity, which often leads to cancer and heart disease and early death. These diseases were not observed at all in earlier times when Eskimo's lived strictly off their Traditional Diet even though it contained very little or no carbohydrates ( Vegetables, fruits etc). 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #733 on: June 04, 2012, 11:53:12 AM »

Zombies are thin because they live off of meat and brains.
Zombies hunt whales yall

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #734 on: June 06, 2012, 04:53:33 AM »

So much baked chicken, protein smoothies... But I finally have my marble chizzled body. Cheesy

Forgive my sins.
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #735 on: June 06, 2012, 09:21:08 AM »

This guy is a  scientist and has a rather interesting website about nutrition and diet, including the following that explains that with a large population and new diet stressors, we've adapted more quickly to survive on the new diet:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/05/beyond-otzi-european-evolutionary.html#more

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #736 on: June 06, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »

This guy is a  scientist and has a rather interesting website about nutrition and diet, including the following that explains that with a large population and new diet stressors, we've adapted more quickly to survive on the new diet:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/05/beyond-otzi-european-evolutionary.html#more

Here is a little clash between Gary Taubes and Stephen Guyenet. The video quality is  a little poor ( looks hand held). Taubes seemed to have the upper hand by the end IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hzoFgwFeMQ

Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #737 on: June 06, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »

"Give us this day our daily grass-fed bison"

"I am the free-range ribeye steak that came down from heaven"

Best. Verses. Ever.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #738 on: June 06, 2012, 04:50:08 PM »

Best. Verses. Ever.

Soooooooo.. Are you really saying "give us this day our daily bread" is a dietary recommendation?

Is this a command for over 200 carbs per day or less?

« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:51:19 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Sauron
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #739 on: June 06, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »

Best. Verses. Ever.

Soooooooo.. Are you really saying "give us this day our daily bread" is a dietary recommendation?

Is this a command for over 200 carbs per day or less?

No, I think ἐπιούσιον is an eschatological reference. I was merely being humorous.

"We have hear only five loaves and two fish"
"Nay, dispense with ye bread loaves, for they art most fowle in Mine sighte for Mine sheepe havst not yet evolvet to ye agriculturre of Man."
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #740 on: June 06, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »

You know how a joke gets old and tiring. And after the millionth time it gets more funnier than ever?

Sauron just made gold outta this dross.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 05:15:25 PM by orthonorm » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #741 on: June 06, 2012, 05:34:51 PM »

I got a good chuckle out of that as well.  Well played.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #742 on: June 06, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »

Oh  I see. It's joke. I get it now. Wow..side splitting

I wonder if the Lord urged people to get vaccinations?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #743 on: June 06, 2012, 09:34:28 PM »

FYI:

The Temporal Prime Directive was a fundamental Starfleet principle.

All Starfleet personnel are strictly forbidden from directly interfering with historical events and are required to maintain the timeline and prevent history from being altered. It also restricts people from telling too much about the future, so as not to cause paradoxes or alter the timeline.

The Temporal Prime Directive is directly related to the Prime Directive.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Temporal_Prime_Directive

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #744 on: June 07, 2012, 07:51:23 AM »

Dude I'm seriously crying.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #745 on: June 07, 2012, 12:02:43 PM »

No, but lots of people die without them.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #746 on: June 07, 2012, 12:23:16 PM »

Oh  I see. It's joke. I get it now. Wow..side splitting

Or can die in spite of a vaccine .....

In a recent announcement on TV news (I do not know which channel as my husband was surfing channels), Feds (CDC) are saying that improperly stored vaccines (in doctor's "home" refrigerators) may be causing an outbreak of whooping cough among infants in Texas and Washington state. Since some doctors are not monitoring their home-type refrigerators, which can wildly vary in temperature, these vaccines are either too hot or subjected to freezing, which can destroy any benefits of receiving such a vaccine. Mention was also made that such refrigerators should be dedicated to vaccine and medicine storage only and should not be used for employee luncheons.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:25:21 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #747 on: June 07, 2012, 02:36:17 PM »

And you can die from them.

Forgive my sins.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #748 on: June 07, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »

In a recent announcement on TV news (I do not know which channel as my husband was surfing channels), Feds (CDC) are saying that improperly stored vaccines (in doctor's "home" refrigerators) may be causing an outbreak of whooping cough among infants in Texas and Washington state. Since some doctors are not monitoring their home-type refrigerators, which can wildly vary in temperature, these vaccines are either too hot or subjected to freezing, which can destroy any benefits of receiving such a vaccine. Mention was also made that such refrigerators should be dedicated to vaccine and medicine storage only and should not be used for employee luncheons.

I may have miss heard but I think they found that 75% of the vaccines were rendered useless due to improper storage ( too hot or too cold).

Yup..The Medical Establishment can be trusted.. No problem.

Caveat Emptor

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #749 on: June 07, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »

I may have miss heard but I think they found that 75% of the vaccines were rendered useless due to improper storage ( too hot or too cold).

Yup..The Medical Establishment can be trusted.. No problem.

Caveat Emptor

Yes, let the patient beware.

75 Percent of vaccines have expired in that they are no longer effective? Wow.

Could these improperly stored vaccines cause sickness?

And how many doctors are NOT checking their supplies or their refrigerators to insure that the medicines and vaccines are kept within the specified temperature ranges? IOW, how many doctors are NOT in compliance with federal guidelines for the safe handling of drugs/vaccines?

How many infants are now at risk because the vaccinations may not be effective? Or because the vaccines were improperly stored (and became contaminated)?

I guess a lot of parents will be upset when (and if) they are notified by the CDC or other agencies that their babies are now at risk because of improper handling of vaccines.

I hope their infants are receiving proper nutrition so that their bodies can fight off disease.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:49:11 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #750 on: June 08, 2012, 12:05:38 AM »

What evidence do you have for this number?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:34:58 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #751 on: June 08, 2012, 12:51:15 AM »

The amount of people I see walking around with polio or small pox really shows how ineffective vaccines are. 
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #752 on: June 08, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »

The amount of people I see walking around with polio or small pox really shows how ineffective vaccines are. 
Walking around with polio... At least in its more advanced stages, it's kinda like the ridiculous imperative you may have heard from your mother: "If you fall down out of that tree and break both legs, don't come running to me!" Cheesy
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #753 on: June 08, 2012, 01:25:41 AM »

Can't tell if sarcastic or not. Hmm. :3
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:51:26 AM by celticfan1888 » Logged

Forgive my sins.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #754 on: June 08, 2012, 02:55:25 AM »

How many cases of small pox or polio are there per year in countries like the US, UK or Canada?   
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #755 on: June 08, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »

If its the same circumstance of improperly stored vaccines that I'm thinking of, they didn't use them, since they identified the problem.

I'm going to need this.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #756 on: June 08, 2012, 09:26:37 AM »

60% of statistics are made up on the spot (with a +/- 5% margin of error).
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #757 on: June 08, 2012, 10:01:31 AM »

ABC broke the story a couple of days ago. The CDC decided to do an inspection of vaccines and were shocked to discover that 75% of the vaccines they sampled had gone bad. They were either expired or stored improperly and thereby rendered ineffective.

Here is the story including Video from ABC:

http://www.whas11.com/community/By-Kim-Carollo--ABC-News-157498505.html

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #758 on: June 08, 2012, 10:05:48 AM »

How many cases of small pox or polio are there per year in countries like the US, UK or Canada?   

Polio is no longer present in these populations. it was eradicated years ago. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that anyone would get it, immunized or not. You would need to travel to remote parts of Africa to come into contact with it anymore. Polio immunization at this late date is purely precautionary..

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #759 on: June 08, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »

Polio is no longer present in these populations. it was eradicated years ago. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that anyone would get it, immunized or not. You would need to travel to remote parts of Africa to come into contact with it anymore. Polio immunization at this late date is purely precautionary..

Which is my point - vaccinations work regardless of some anti-establishment crusade. 
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #760 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:48 AM »

Which is my point - vaccinations work regardless of some anti-establishment crusade. 

I dont think anyone is saying "Vaccines don't work". It's just being pointed out that in a  very recent inspection by the CDC 75% of the vaccines in their sample had gone bad. I personally find that disturbing. Your mileage my vary

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #761 on: June 08, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »

Statistics can also be taken out of context to make them say something more than is really said. For instance, the article that Marc cited as his evidence for the 75% number states that "Inspectors visited the offices of 45 providers in five states who offered free immunizations as part of the government's Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program." We're talking about providers of free immunizations for low-income children here, NOT the whole vaccination system.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #762 on: June 08, 2012, 10:26:36 AM »

I dont think anyone is saying "Vaccines don't work". It's just being pointed out that in a  very recent inspection by the CDC 75% of the vaccines in their sample had gone bad. I personally find that disturbing. Your mileage my vary

So the governmental inspectors identified a problem and I steps are being taking to correct it.  How does that play into some grand anti-establishment theory?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #763 on: June 08, 2012, 10:30:35 AM »

Statistics can also be taken out of context to make them say something more than is really said. For instance, the article that Marc cited as his evidence for the 75% number states that "Inspectors visited the offices of 45 providers in five states who offered free immunizations as part of the government's Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program." We're talking about providers of free immunizations for low-income children here, NOT the whole vaccination system.

The story is what it is. It demonstrates extreme sloppiness and is a cause for concern that this type of miss handling is widespread. I don't think anyone thought the all vaccines everywhere offered by everyone were inspected.  it was a sample.., The results were shocking. I dont think anyone is saying that all vaccines or nearly all, at all times, given everywhere, don't really work.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #764 on: June 08, 2012, 10:32:04 AM »

So the governmental inspectors identified a problem and I steps are being taking to correct it.  How does that play into some grand anti-establishment theory?

It's evidence of fairly extreme sloppiness that results in harm to people. No?

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: