OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:10:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 60591 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #900 on: June 14, 2012, 11:49:22 PM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

You blurt out "Japanese eat no diary". I provide data that per capita diary consumption is over 200 lbs per year and you just say , "oh". Not "I was wrong", not "I am making this up as I go along", but "oh".

Yes. thank you for catching me on a a couple of  detail's  God bless you.

But I think my main arguments have stood up pretty well. If you don't think so then I will try to live with that disappointment.

I think you should review your understanding of the term "detail."

Okay thanks.. I will try to do that

Maybe the level of Milk consumption in Japan is on the tip of everyone else's tongue but I think that qualifies as something fairly obscure.

It amazes me how angry you folks are getting over a fairly benign topic..

I've reference my idea's pretty thoroughly. You can read or watch what is behind the things that I have talked about. It you don't agree, go your way in Peace. How angry do you get over something really controversial I wonder?   

Anyway, you cant stop me from expressing my opinion. Try to stay calm.

What makes you think I was angry?  Projection perhaps?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Sauron
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #901 on: June 14, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

You blurt out "Japanese eat no diary". I provide data that per capita diary consumption is over 200 lbs per year and you just say , "oh". Not "I was wrong", not "I am making this up as I go along", but "oh".

But I think my main arguments have stood up pretty well. If you don't think so then I will try to live with that disappointment.

Maybe the level of Milk consumption in Japan is on the tip of everyone else's tongue but I think that qualifies as something fairly obscure.

I've reference my idea's pretty thoroughly. You can read or watch what is behind the things that I have talked about. It you don't agree, go your way in Peace. How angry do you get over something really controversial I wonder?   

The Standard American Diet (SAD lol) has poisoned your emotions. Twinkies make you lash out in rage. Try some grass-red bison.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #902 on: June 14, 2012, 11:53:29 PM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

The Standard American Diet (SAD lol) has poisoned your emotions. Twinkies make you lash out in rage. Try some grass-red bison.

I have seen the True Light...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #903 on: June 14, 2012, 11:55:42 PM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

According to you, a demonstrably false statement such as "Japanese eat no diary" is an insignificant detail? If that is true, there is no such thing as a significant fact.

And yet, your argument failed.. Imagine that..

Which argument would that be? That Japanese eat a boatload of dairy, wheat, and sugar?

"They eat tons"  

I just read that they eat half the sugar we do..  I guess you forgot that part.

Go look in the fridge again.

Anyway..Going to the beach in the morning.. So fight among yourselves while I'm gone

See my earlier post. youve been answered..

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #904 on: June 14, 2012, 11:59:38 PM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

Oh good..I was pretty sure you and Sauron and Norm were angry

I must be delusional.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #905 on: June 15, 2012, 12:11:28 AM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

I must be delusional.

I have no idea about Sauron, but I am most certainly far from angry, and I'd wager Orthonorm is not angry.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #906 on: June 15, 2012, 12:22:17 AM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

Well, when you push this "fairly benign topic" so persistently, refuse to cite any sources outside of those four or five you keep pushing even when others keep questioning them, and strive always to have the last word in any dispute, I can see why people find your rant irritating. Wink What you're doing is called pontificating, which gets old pretty quickly.
Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #907 on: June 15, 2012, 09:10:36 AM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

Well, when you push this "fairly benign topic" so persistently, refuse to cite any sources outside of those four or five you keep pushing even when others keep questioning them, and strive always to have the last word in any dispute, I can see why people find your rant irritating. Wink What you're doing is called pontificating, which gets old pretty quickly.

You should watch some Gary Taubes videos. They will really blow your hair back.

Sauron
High Elder

« Reply #908 on: June 15, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

According to you, a demonstrably false statement such as "Japanese eat no diary" is an insignificant detail? If that is true, there is no such thing as a significant fact.

And yet, your argument failed.. Imagine that..

Which argument would that be? That Japanese eat a boatload of dairy, wheat, and sugar?

"They eat tons"  

I just read that they eat half the sugar we do..  I guess you forgot that part.

Go look in the fridge again.

Anyway..Going to the beach in the morning.. So fight among yourselves while I'm gone

See my earlier post. youve been answered..

Who eats tons of what? What are you quoting?

How can I forget what you read? You are the one reading it, not me. In any event, I am pleased to see that Joe YouTube is finally reading.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #909 on: June 18, 2012, 10:52:26 AM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

I must be delusional.

I have no idea about Sauron, but I am most certainly far from angry, and I'd wager Orthonorm is not angry.

Good. glad to hear it. I thought you were.

perhaps you can dial back your tone a bit and simply comment on the material by adding additional information, personal experiences or links and references.

I've been at the beach so I'm nice and mellow right now Smiley

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #910 on: June 18, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »

I dont think you can reasonably use the example of the Japanese Diet as evidence of a population violating the core principles of Paleo and Weston Price type diets and yet are still slim and live a long life.

It turns out that the Japanese don't eat sugar at anywhere near the level that we do in the USA. Their per capita consumption is about half of ours.

In fact by the measure of Paleo and Weston Price theories they are eating much better than in the West so it's no wonder they are healthier.

Let's apply what we know about how they eat and pretend people in the USA suddenly take it up too. Then ask yourself if the Obesity Epidemic here would subside.

If people in the US at half the sugar they do now wouldn't that alone greatly improve the rate of Obesity?

If we did not vilify saturated fat and in fact had a taste for very fatty meat, wouldn't that also improve out health greatly? ( by the theories of Paleo/Weston Price)

If we increased our consumption of fish to the same levels as the Japanese, wouldn't that greatly help us?

If we understood as the Japanese do that grains make you fat and cut back on them when we get chunky would that help? This is as opposed to the US where grains are supposed to be the very basis of a good diet according to the Government.

So rather than demonstrate the Paleo and Weston Price theories are being violated whole sale and yet the Japanese are still healthy we can see quite the opposite is really the case.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:11:42 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #911 on: June 18, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

If I am not mistaken I have cited more sources 10 fold than anyone else. I have even provided a book list for crying out loud. I have linked to lectures and scientific articles and web pages with long lists of peer reviewed articles. Have you?

Would you have me change my position on Nutrition and Diet to provide a bit a variety for you? I think this thread is pretty specific. You really should not be taken aback by specific and consistent recommendations on such a narrow subject. I'm sorry if you're tired of the topic. Maybe you can tag out and get another moderator to take over who is fresher and less irritated.

What I think is really going on is that people hold how they eat very very dear to them and take it personally. A Mother's Milk sort of thing. When they hear about something that is very different to their own idea's about eating and good health, especially if the ideas are anti-establishment, they can get very defensive. There are also people here whose style of debate is very aggressive. So that makes for a volatile combination.

PS I think you should note that this thread lays fallow for long periods. When someone starts up the conversation again, that is usually when I jump back in. I have rarely restarted the thread on my own.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #912 on: June 18, 2012, 02:25:21 PM »

Let's review:

Yes, let's review+

You should watch some Gary Taubes videos. They will really blow your hair back.

You know it's a pretty mundane topic.. What books or lectures would you suggest?

I have been reading Taube's book "Why we get fat" that cites some studies that I will post about later which answer a few questions about meat eating that have been posted here.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #913 on: June 18, 2012, 02:43:13 PM »

There's alot of studies/science behind why the "Mediterrenean Diet" works the best for weight loss and in fact it is the diabetic diet. I quote that because there are things in my own diet that I change that doesn't exemplify that sort of eating philosophy.

Well I'll give you a rough week outline that isn't based on the Orthodox fasts. Granted this is a small sampler of all the food I eat during the year and I like to change it up as much as I can.

Breakfast: 1/2 cup Nonfat yogurt w/ no added sugar and a cup of Multi-Grain Cheerios
Lunch: 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich with Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard and Smoked Turkey Breast and veggies. A piece of fruit on the side. Every other day its Peanut Butter and Jelly. OR leftovers from the previous night dinner or incorporating ingridents from the night into the actual sandwich.

Dinner: Before the fast I had IIRC Fettucine Alfredo w/ Shrimp and Broccoli. Roasted Salmon and Corn Relish, Lentil Chili and Salad w/ Tomato Chive dressing, Blackened Redfish w/ dirty rice and Maple sweetened collard greens, Asian Peanut Chicken w/ noodles, BBQ Chicken Pizza.

Results: Pretty signifcant in terms of my energy, weight reduction, and overall "mental" health. Without excercising like normal when I started this diet I shaved off about 2 lbs a week, with excercise it was alot more.

Thanks for the post. I am trying to understand the "Medertaranian Diet" better. I was also confused by the statement from the article I posted about it that called it "Mythical".

I have been reading up and I think I now know why. It turns out that Dr. Keys did not correctly understand what people in the Mediterranean region were actually eating.

He was there at a time when they were not doing well economically. He was also poor at that time. So what he ate and saw people eating was not really  the Traditional Mediterranean Diet at all. When he visited again years later he lamented that the people had moved away from what he thought was their Traditional Diet and were now eating fatty foods and lots of meat. In fact, that really was their Traditional Diet. When he observed them earlier they had moved away from their Traditional Diets because of scarcity. When he returned, he was richer and so were they and had resumed eating sasaueges and fatty meats etc.

In other words, Ancel Keys got it all wrong. The low rate of heart disease has nothing at all to do with the Diet he took up. It was an anomaly. The Mediterranean Diet as practiced today is unrealted to a Traditional Mediterranean Diet.

I would like to see the studies you mentioned about helping heart health and diabetes..

Thanks

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #914 on: June 18, 2012, 03:35:03 PM »

Pretty signifcant in terms of my energy, weight reduction, and overall "mental" health. Without excercising like normal when I started this diet I shaved off about 2 lbs a week, with excercise it was alot more.

I'd like to ask, compared to what? How were you eating before this?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 03:35:32 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #915 on: June 18, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »

To increase health and vitality, you might try eating Goji berries:
"The most well documented case of longevity in 'modern' times is the life of Li
Qing Yuen who lived to the age of 252. Li Qing Yuen was born in the year 1678
and died in 1930. He gave a lecture at the University of Beijing at the age of
200. He consumed Goji berries daily as his primary food and was married 14 times
and had 11 generations of posterity when he died in 1930."
http://gojiberryintl.com/anti-aging.htm
The local health food store sells the juice but not the berry.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #916 on: June 18, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »

To increase health and vitality, you might try eating Goji berries:
"The most well documented case of longevity in 'modern' times is the life of Li
Qing Yuen who lived to the age of 252. Li Qing Yuen was born in the year 1678
and died in 1930. He gave a lecture at the University of Beijing at the age of
200. He consumed Goji berries daily as his primary food and was married 14 times
and had 11 generations of posterity when he died in 1930."
http://gojiberryintl.com/anti-aging.htm
The local health food store sells the juice but not the berry.

This post fits perfectly in this thread.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #917 on: June 18, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »

I need to lose some weight and turn my fat into muscle. Right now I'm about 5-15 pounds overweight and I have no muscle really at all. I'd like to lose some of this excess weight, build up some muscle and then maintain. How should I go about doing this? My only workout equipment is one treadmill and as for diet/food, I'm at the mercy of whatever my parents serve me.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #918 on: June 18, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »

The biggest treadmill in the world is outside.

Until you can make it to a gym, there is something to be said for the variety of calisthenics you can do (pullups, pushups, crazy 8s, monkey f*#kres, mountain climbers, saturday nights, etc).

I'm going to need this.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #919 on: June 18, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »

I need to lose some weight and turn my fat into muscle. Right now I'm about 5-15 pounds overweight and I have no muscle really at all. I'd like to lose some of this excess weight, build up some muscle and then maintain. How should I go about doing this? My only workout equipment is one treadmill and as for diet/food, I'm at the mercy of whatever my parents serve me.

See here for lots of bodyweight exercises, which should help when combined with sensible eating (a slight reduction in calories in your case).

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #920 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:22 PM »

These clips are really cute. I don't know if you have seen them before.

Number two is about exercise so i put it first but go one watch #1 and #3 if you care to.

#2 Exercise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGXep32_qiI

#1 Food:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFZoqmKf5M

#3 Sunshine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv1naIENqcE

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #921 on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:53 PM »

I would suggest following the British Army training programme, which is aimed for getting one fit to enlist, and it is all(besides one) non weight exercises.

The one that DOES sue weight, you may fill a box with books or the sort, and use that for the exercise(which it tells you to do).
http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/Fitnes_LowRes.pdf

SCREW BON JOVI!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #922 on: June 18, 2012, 11:01:51 PM »

Marc, I haven't ignored your post but haven't had the time to write anything of substance. Give me a few days, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:02:26 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #923 on: June 18, 2012, 11:09:41 PM »

Marc, I haven't ignored your post but haven't had the time to write anything of substance. Give me a few days, thanks.

No problem at all.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #924 on: June 19, 2012, 09:39:52 PM »

Here is what I think is a very informative video . There is something in this for everyone pro or con the Paleo Diet.

The Science Behind the Paleolithic Diet: Interview with Matt LaLaond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmL0gKEz00Q&feature=related

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #925 on: June 20, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »

I would suggest following the British Army training programme, which is aimed for getting one fit to enlist, and it is all(besides one) non weight exercises.

The one that DOES sue weight, you may fill a box with books or the sort, and use that for the exercise(which it tells you to do).

Numerous military units have guides.  The Foreign Legion looks to be one of the more strenuous ones.

James, this is one of the cheapest activities you will ever do.  Basically, walking, push ups, sit ups, running, jumping jacks, etc. are all free.  Getting a couple weights is pretty cheap as well, or just make your own.  As for eating the right things, eat what your parents give you...just eat less of it.  Discipline yourself and eat until you feel 80% full (it takes time to figure this out).  If you are still hungry 20 minutes later get a small snack, but once you get to gauging it properly you probably won't be hungry anymore after 20 minutes.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #926 on: June 20, 2012, 05:22:14 PM »

Numerous military units have guides.  The Foreign Legion looks to be one of the more strenuous ones.

James, this is one of the cheapest activities you will ever do.  Basically, walking, push ups, sit ups, running, jumping jacks, etc. are all free.  Getting a couple weights is pretty cheap as well, or just make your own.  As for eating the right things, eat what your parents give you...just eat less of it.  Discipline yourself and eat until you feel 80% full (it takes time to figure this out).  If you are still hungry 20 minutes later get a small snack, but once you get to gauging it properly you probably won't be hungry anymore after 20 minutes.

Or not Smiley

Why the Calorie Restriction Diet Makes Zero Sense

The calorie restriction diet is based on a flawed interpretation of the laws of thermodynamics, as science writer Gary Taubes has pointed out.

When the body takes in more energy than it burns off, that energy must be stored somewhere, or the laws of thermodynamics would be violated. Obviously, energy can’t just disappear. But obesity researchers have twisted this logic to push a flawed theory about what makes people fat and what leads to weight loss. Authorities insist that overeating and indolence cause weight gain and that calorie restriction and exercise cause weight loss.

Why the Calorie Restriction Diet is Premised on Nonsensical Logic

A calorie is merely a unit of energy. All the time, the body takes in calories from non-food sources. Consider these original, theoretical examples:

entire article:

http://suite101.com/article/why-the-calorie-restriction-diet-makes-zero-sense-a228711

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #927 on: June 20, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »

Marc, serious question:

How many rings have you won?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 05:26:38 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #928 on: June 20, 2012, 05:50:11 PM »

Or not Smiley

The calorie restriction diet is based on a flawed interpretation of the laws of thermodynamics, as science writer Gary Taubes has pointed out.

When the body takes in more energy than it burns off, that energy must be stored somewhere, or the laws of thermodynamics would be violated. Obviously, energy can’t just disappear. But obesity researchers have twisted this logic to push a flawed theory about what makes people fat and what leads to weight loss. Authorities insist that overeating and indolence cause weight gain and that calorie restriction and exercise cause weight loss.

A calorie is merely a unit of energy. All the time, the body takes in calories from non-food sources. Consider these original, theoretical examples:

entire article:

http://suite101.com/article/why-the-calorie-restriction-diet-makes-zero-sense-a228711

So, theoretically speaking, if someone were fat and were starved, would they die or loose weight first?  The body will burn a certain amount of energy just to stay alive.  Won't it start burning a portion of the fat reserves before going on to muscles and organs?
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #929 on: June 20, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »

Marc, serious question:

How many rings have you won?

What are you talking about?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #930 on: June 20, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »

Or not Smiley

entire article:

So, theoretically speaking, if someone were fat and were starved, would they die or loose weight first?  The body will burn a certain amount of energy just to stay alive.  Won't it start burning a portion of the fat reserves before going on to muscles and organs?

The interesting anomaly is that people living is scarcity become obese. In fact obesity is strongly correlated with poverty.

Yes, at starvation levels the body will cannibalize itself using fat and muscle until you waste away.

But the reason we become fat under normal circumstances isnt because of a calorie imbalance. It is because of a hormonal imbalance, too much insulin. Insulin is what causes the body to hold on to fat. Reduce the insulin and the body will release the fat. Carbs drive insulin. Reduce carbs = reduced insulin = lose weight. No mean feat Smiley

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #931 on: June 20, 2012, 07:08:17 PM »

Or not Smiley

entire article:

The interesting anomaly is that people living is scarcity become obese. In fact obesity is strongly correlated with poverty.

Yes, at starvation levels the body will cannibalize itself using fat and muscle until you waste away.

But the reason we become fat under normal circumstances isnt because of a calorie imbalance. It is because of a hormonal imbalance, too much insulin. Insulin is what causes the body to hold on to fat. Reduce the insulin and the body will release the fat. Carbs drive insulin. Reduce carbs = reduced insulin = lose weight. No mean feat Smiley

Perhaps obesity correlates with poverty in the US since McDonalds is cheaper than most health foods, but I would hazard the guess that there ain't a lot of fat folks in Somalia!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #932 on: June 20, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »

Numerous military units have guides.  The Foreign Legion looks to be one of the more strenuous ones.

James, this is one of the cheapest activities you will ever do.  Basically, walking, push ups, sit ups, running, jumping jacks, etc. are all free.  Getting a couple weights is pretty cheap as well, or just make your own.  As for eating the right things, eat what your parents give you...just eat less of it.  Discipline yourself and eat until you feel 80% full (it takes time to figure this out).  If you are still hungry 20 minutes later get a small snack, but once you get to gauging it properly you probably won't be hungry anymore after 20 minutes.

Or not Smiley

entire article:

So, theoretically speaking, if someone were fat and were starved, would they die or loose weight first?  The body will burn a certain amount of energy just to stay alive.  Won't it start burning a portion of the fat reserves before going on to muscles and organs?

Perhaps obesity correlates with poverty in the US since McDonalds is cheaper than most health foods, but I would hazard the guess that there ain't a lot of fat folks in Somalia!

That is a logical assumption that turns out not to be true. There is a term for it called "Toxic Culture". As you described too much McDonald's and TV etc. which leads poor Americans into Obesity. However Gary Taubes whom I have  already referred to gives example after example of people living in grinding poverty and have high obesity rates and who don't live within this so called toxic culture. Right here in this country there was considerable obesity during the Great Depression long before anyone choked back the first big mac.

You should get his book "Why we get fat" for more such examples. Here is a  an interview with him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR3FVvEJ-Nk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myyOD1W1DPg&feature=endscreen&NR=1  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=4HxLeGvFVsM&feature=endscreen

PS. In Somolia they eat meat at every meal, 3 times per day including meat for breakfast

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:12:28 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #933 on: June 20, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »

Don't know about all that, all I know is that when I go to McDonalds I don't get out of that place without paying $8-10. That's like a day's worth of food for me in one meal. Not exactly what I'd call cheap. But my pigishness probably has to be factored in.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #934 on: June 21, 2012, 09:52:05 PM »

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2009/12/the-minnesota-starvation-experiment/

Written by Zoë Harcombe on December 3, 2009 -
Categories: Obesity

This is a blog about quite possibly the most important obesity experiment ever conducted. Please let me know if you come across a dietician who has ever heard of it, let alone studied it…

...Surely we have just observed the pre-requisite for an obesity epidemic? Eat less, get hungry, slow the metabolism, increase the desire to consume energy, reduce the desire to expend energy, put on weight, try to eat less and so on. We have certainly just described the Western World, since we started our obsession with calorie counting.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:52:52 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #935 on: June 22, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »

Marc, why are you obsessed with weight loss?   
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #936 on: June 22, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »

In the US it is something worth worrying about!
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #937 on: June 22, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »

I'm not. My main interest is nutrition. The wrong path we have gone down actually has the potential to sink the nation. We are getting sicker and sicker and people are living with great suffering.Have you ever been around someone who has had a heart by pass or similar? I had a dear friend drop dead about a month ago. Sixty two years old. Massive coronary. Dropped him like a sack of potato's.

My professional interest is Long Term Care. Don't look at the numbers because you may not sleep for a week. The rates of dementia, diabetes, cancer, muscular skeletal problems and heart disease as the baby boomers age has the potential to overwhelm us....... no exaggeration. 

So many things come back to nutrition, what we eat and how our food is produced and raised. This is not even to mention environmental sustainability. If we remain dependent on growing wheat and corn our topsoil will  be gone in about 50 years.
Then what?

If you fix the Nutrition problem you concurrently fix a very long list of national problems not even to mention alleviating human suffering.

I also dont like being scammed by entrenched, well money establishment forces . But that's just my personal sensibility.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #938 on: June 22, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »

All the dread..costly.. diseases follow closely along with Obesity. Sixty present of our population is overweight or obese. That is a shocking and scary number. The same for England. Unfortunately as our way of eating has spread around the World this Obesity epidemic is fast becoming a Global Pandemic. It's the modern equivalent to the Black Death of the middle ages.

I was at the beach last week and I like to sit on the boardwalk and people watch. But I was noticing all the obese people, one after another walk by. This is not a good thing.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #939 on: June 22, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »

One more point. Up until around the late 1960's, obesity used to be understood as a symptom of "Mal-Nutrition".

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #940 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »

In United States, you lose weight. In Soviet Union, weight LOSES YOU!

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #941 on: June 22, 2012, 01:21:59 PM »

In the Soviet Union they had very effective dieting practices.  it was called the Atkins-Holodomor diet.  Helped millions loose weight in just a couple years.  The Germans tried something similar but that anti-fad-diet folks put an end to it.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #942 on: June 22, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »

In the Soviet Union they had very effective dieting practices.  it was called the Atkins-Holodomor diet.  Helped millions loose weight in just a couple years.  The Germans tried something similar but that anti-fad-diet folks put an end to it.

Actually, that is why the Minnesota Starvation Experiment is so interesting. The body gets real defensive when you significantly short it on calories. I sounds something like what happens when you freeze, the body reacts to save itself in some pretty clever ways.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:30:04 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #943 on: June 22, 2012, 11:15:02 PM »

Unfortunately as our way of eating has spread around the World this Obesity epidemic is fast becoming a Global Pandemic.

The old fashioned global pandemic of starvation was pretty lousy too though.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #944 on: June 22, 2012, 11:51:19 PM »

Unfortunately as our way of eating has spread around the World this Obesity epidemic is fast becoming a Global Pandemic.

The old fashioned global pandemic of starvation was pretty lousy too though.

The interesting thing is that Obesity is a sign of malnutrition. Very poor populations exhibit both ends of spectrum. Very skinny and malnourished children along side of their obese mothers.

Here is another Taubes lecture. In the first half he talks about this in depth and cites many examples of dirt poor populations with significant rates of obesity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vpFV6Wkl4

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: