OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 12:00:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 54197 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #810 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:49 AM »

Um what? Both potatoes and sweet potatoes are starches. SPs do have more properties though.

I suppose.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #811 on: June 11, 2012, 04:29:03 AM »

That's not to say fresh potatoes is bad, that's not true. I just think people intake too many potatoes and its mostly in the form of greasy french fries and potato chips.

Agreed.  Boil, bake or roast potatoes with their skin on rather than frying them.   
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #812 on: June 11, 2012, 04:33:20 AM »

That's not to say fresh potatoes is bad, that's not true. I just think people intake too many potatoes and its mostly in the form of greasy french fries and potato chips.

Agreed.  Boil, bake or roast potatoes with their skin on rather than frying them.   

Baked and roasted potatoes are some of my favorite foods.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #813 on: June 11, 2012, 04:55:24 AM »

Lentil Chili tomorrow, can't wait.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #814 on: June 11, 2012, 11:22:36 AM »

If potatoes are the worst food that I eat, I don't see a huge problem.  

There is no dairy picture because I usually buy dairy on a separate trip to the market during the week.  Basically we eat meat on the weekends, dairy during the week.  I love local cheeses and making my own kefir.

I make my own sourdough bread, about 90% whole grain rye, 10% whole wheat.  A couple of slices of that with either cheese, творог (Quark according to wiki) or butter is my typical breakfast.  The other sort of staples I might make once or twice a week are brown rice, buckwheat or less often mamaliga (a Romanian corn porridge).  Pickled herring is a typical side dish a couple of times a week.  The only real luxury imported foods that I use are olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I'd posit that my diet is perfectly healthy and not even close to paleo.        

You should probably read one or two of these books before commenting. The picture you posted is well within what they recommend. But you dont know that because you dont really know what they recommend.

I saw meat with lots of fat content, lots of vegetables no refined foods at all, no candy no sugar and some potatoes. They say 85% compliance is just fine. Now you know.

How old are you?

As I've said before, you've clearly never gathered wild fruit if you believe a basket of fruit is paleo.  Actually everything pictured is the result of agriculture.  Hence I reject the whole paradigm.  

The Russian interwebs are usually pretty decent for finding books to download, but I can't come up with anything from the paleo crowd.  From what I've scanned from google books and amazon, I get the picture.  

I'm 25, btw.    

I unerstand your confusion. You should read one of the Paleo books so you can feel better about all this. In short, the Paleo diet tries to "MIMIC" the diet of hunter gatherers. You are absolutely right that today fruit and vegetables are grown on farms and not gathered in the wild.
Game meat and certain plants that can be gathered do have some nutritional advantages but not so very much that a Paleo diet cant be mimiced without them and with store bought foods.

If you don't have time to read a book than go to their web page and get better oriented to what we mean by The Paleo Diet.

www.thepaleodiet.com

I asked because at your young age eating poorly is easier to accommodate. Poor eating habits ware down insulin receptors and other things and eventually catch up to you.

However, based on what you posted you are eating well within the recommendations of the Paleo Diet and/or Weston Price.  You just dont seem to know it yet.      
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:23:19 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

\"Why were so many Civil War battles fought in National Parks? \"
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

« Reply #815 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »

Um what? Both potatoes and sweet potatoes are starches. SPs do have more properties though.

lET'S BE REAL UP IN THIS HOUZE, sWEET POTATOES DON'T DESERVE THE NAME sWEET POTATO--THEY AIN'T EITHER OF THOSE THINGS.

I'll bet I look like a goof.

"And since when have Christians become afraid of rain?"
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #816 on: June 11, 2012, 11:49:11 AM »

lET'S BE REAL UP IN THIS HOUZE, sWEET POTATOES DON'T DESERVE THE NAME sWEET POTATO--THEY AIN'T EITHER OF THOSE THINGS.

You have to cook them first!  Grin

I'm going to need this.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #817 on: June 11, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »

This is crazy talk.  What other vegetable (since that is what I assume a tater is) naturally has butter, brown sugar, and possibly marshmallows already on it?  I think you will find the answer to be 'none'.

One day we will talk about why people fetishize children, but for now I'll keep on the side of humanity that doesn't think the height of life is a drinking a juice box and eating a tater tot while defecating in their pants.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #818 on: June 11, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

There is no dairy picture because I usually buy dairy on a separate trip to the market during the week.  Basically we eat meat on the weekends, dairy during the week.  I love local cheeses and making my own kefir.

I make my own sourdough bread, about 90% whole grain rye, 10% whole wheat.  A couple of slices of that with either cheese, творог (Quark according to wiki) or butter is my typical breakfast.  The other sort of staples I might make once or twice a week are brown rice, buckwheat or less often mamaliga (a Romanian corn porridge).  Pickled herring is a typical side dish a couple of times a week.  The only real luxury imported foods that I use are olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I'd posit that my diet is perfectly healthy and not even close to paleo.         

You should probably read one or two of these books before commenting. The picture you posted is well within what they recommend. But you dont know that because you dont really know what they recommend.

I saw meat with lots of fat content, lots of vegetables no refined foods at all, no candy no sugar and some potatoes. They say 85% compliance is just fine. Now you know.

How old are you?

As I've said before, you've clearly never gathered wild fruit if you believe a basket of fruit is paleo.  Actually everything pictured is the result of agriculture.  Hence I reject the whole paradigm.   

The Russian interwebs are usually pretty decent for finding books to download, but I can't come up with anything from the paleo crowd.  From what I've scanned from google books and amazon, I get the picture. 

I'm 25, btw.   

Sadly for you, Marc doesn't consider anyone who is under the age of 30, and with atleast 1 child, an adult.

Forgive my sins.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #819 on: June 11, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »

Yeah..That was news to me. White  potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams are three different things not different versions of the same.

White Potatoes is a  "night shade" and I dont think the other two are.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #820 on: June 11, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »

There is no dairy picture because I usually buy dairy on a separate trip to the market during the week.  Basically we eat meat on the weekends, dairy during the week.  I love local cheeses and making my own kefir.

I make my own sourdough bread, about 90% whole grain rye, 10% whole wheat.  A couple of slices of that with either cheese, творог (Quark according to wiki) or butter is my typical breakfast.  The other sort of staples I might make once or twice a week are brown rice, buckwheat or less often mamaliga (a Romanian corn porridge).  Pickled herring is a typical side dish a couple of times a week.  The only real luxury imported foods that I use are olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I'd posit that my diet is perfectly healthy and not even close to paleo.         

How old are you?

As I've said before, you've clearly never gathered wild fruit if you believe a basket of fruit is paleo.  Actually everything pictured is the result of agriculture.  Hence I reject the whole paradigm.   

The Russian interwebs are usually pretty decent for finding books to download, but I can't come up with anything from the paleo crowd.  From what I've scanned from google books and amazon, I get the picture. 

I'm 25, btw.   

Sadly for you, Marc doesn't consider anyone who is under the age of 30, and with atleast 1 child, an adult.

Oh I dont think the child part comes into consideration all that much. But in this case I was not speaking of juvinality but rather the physical effects of age. 

So for example, you are college age if I recall. You could say that you eat any old thing and it has no bad effects. Well Duh, youre 22. However these things tend to ware you down and only until some time later will you get paunchy, tired and diabetic.

celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #821 on: June 11, 2012, 02:10:25 PM »

How old are you?

I'm 25, btw.   

Oh I dont think the child part comes into consideration all that much. But in this case I was not speaking of juvinality but rather the physical effects of age. 

So for example, you are college age if I recall. You could say that you eat any old thing and it has no bad effects. Well Duh, youre 22. However these things tend to ware you down and only until some time later will you get paunchy, tired and diabetic.

I'm a biology major, but hey I have no idea about biology because I'm a child right. And the fact that I'm an athlete and don't/can't eat much junk food, I guess that doesn't matter either. But hey, you know me better than myself.

Forgive my sins.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #822 on: June 11, 2012, 02:52:32 PM »

Pickles are made from cucumbers and those are vegetables.

Cucumbers are in the same family as melons, pumpkins, and squash. These are all considered to be fruits of the vine. In fact, a great summer fruit is watermelon.

Avocados are mistakenly called a vegetable as they are frequently tossed in with lettuce and tomatoes, but they are tree fruits.

Tomatoes are also considered to be fruits, which are very high in Lycopene, carotenoids, and other antioxidants.

Thank you. I learned something!  Smiley

You are very welcome. I made the same mistake once before.

What really gets me is how doctors can tell people to avoid eating avocados in order to lower their cholesterol. So, I went to a baptismal party, and a bunch of senior citizens looked dismal as they had to avoid most of the food served. What happened was worse. They were so hungry that they pigged out on super sweet and fatty CAKE. Sheesh.

Avocados have the good type of cholesterol. I stay away from those doctors who want to put me on "statins" and tell me to avoid eating avocados when my diet is already too restricted due to allergies. Besides, avocados satisfy my craving for fatty foods, which I do avoid.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #823 on: June 11, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »

How old are you?

I'm 25, btw.   

This is a rather odd view, given reality and all.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #824 on: June 11, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »

I love you.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #825 on: June 11, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »

This is a rather odd view, given reality and all.

The one-liner above is extremely odd.

Reality?

If we were to return to the diet of our ancesters and forget the fast food, we all would be healthier, wiser, and much more calm and reasonable.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #826 on: June 11, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »

I love you.

Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and packed full of nutrients. I was reading somewhere that some monks live almost exclusively on them. It is my opinion that sweet potatoes resemble squash in taste, so I suppose that one could make sweet potato bread, by substituting sweet potatoes for pumpkin.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:34:05 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #827 on: June 11, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »

The attacks on the magnificent potato in this thread is disturbing, and the attempted promotion of sweet potatoes by these hairy-armed dissidents even more so.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 04:36:32 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #828 on: June 11, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »

I love you.

Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet and packed full of nutrients. I was reading somewhere that many monks live almost exclusively on them.
Yeah it's a pretty complex carbohydrate.

I also must agree with you again on the fast food bit. One of the worst parts about it are the portion sizes people eat. The people who would supersize their means would gain 75% more calories than a regular portion. And those hidden costs of heatlh problems from weight gain added about 190% to the overall cost of the meal. The USDA put out an estimate saying if you put added healthcare costs from obesity, it would be $70 billion a year.

You just have to be extremely careful when eating fast food while being healthy. I think that movie Supersize Me was a little dishonest because Morgan ate about 5,000 calories per day, and I've seen people make way more intelligent choices than he did, while eating fast food and lose weight. There's just too many calories at fast food places for me.

I mostly stick to a strict Mediterranean diet and cook food all the time.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #829 on: June 11, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »

The attacks on the magnificent potato in this thread is disturbing, and the attempted promotion of sweet potatoes by these hairy-armed dissidents even more so.

Yes, the magnificent russet and red potatoes. I can enjoy almost any variety (over 200, I have been told).

However, the lowly sweet potato remains illusive, as I am allergic to it.
Nevertheless, hairy monks have been known to survive on them as they are easily grown.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #830 on: June 11, 2012, 06:26:02 PM »

Yes, the magnificent russet and red potatoes. I can enjoy almost any variety (over 200, I have been told).

Finally the schismatic and I agree.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #831 on: June 11, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »

Finally the schismatic and I agree.

I'm going to need this.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #832 on: June 11, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »

Notice how the guy just flips his fingers and a piece of popcorn instantly materializes.

Magic?

Well, the popcorn sold at many establishments is junk food that is loaded with salt, food additives, and trans-fatty acids. Definitely not magic for your heart or body.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #833 on: June 11, 2012, 07:26:52 PM »

Some of you people would try to make even a plate of bbq pork ribs unappetizing. Crazy.  Cool

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #834 on: June 11, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »

Some of you people would try to make even a plate of bbq pork ribs unappetizing. Crazy.  Cool

Well, if pork is improperly handled and not cooked to the proper temperatures, there could be the possibility of E.coli contamination as well as worms. Could make you quite sick.

One must have faith, and not forget the blessing before and after meals.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:30:34 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #835 on: June 11, 2012, 07:31:34 PM »

Some of you people would try to make even a plate of bbq pork ribs unappetizing. Crazy.  Cool

Well, if pork is improperly handled and not cooked to the proper temperatures, there could be the possibility of E.coli contamination as well as worms. Could make you quite sick.

One must have faith, and not forget the blessing before and after meals.

And a stove will burn you. Moral of the story. Don't be retarded.

I'm going to need this.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #836 on: June 11, 2012, 07:36:03 PM »

On the humble potato.

Vitamin and mineral rich with a ton of protein.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #837 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »

On the humble potato.

Vitamin and mineral rich with a ton of protein.

Gonna get some spuds and make them mashed.

I like the French term for potatoes literally translated: "apples of the earth."
Have you ever eaten a raw potato? It does taste somewhat like an apple.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:53:34 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #838 on: June 11, 2012, 07:54:12 PM »

I'm also having potatoes tonight... in my Hungry Man dinner...

What better meal to eat while watching Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef?  Grin

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #839 on: June 11, 2012, 07:57:13 PM »

That looks really good.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #840 on: June 11, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »

What better meal to eat while watching Hell's Kitchen and Master Chef?  Grin

That looks really good.

I am sure that it smells great while cooking. Cough. Cough. Cough.
And that it is loaded with MSG and other flavor enhancing ingredients.

Hey, did you know that Parmesan cheese, because it is aged, is a natural source of MSG?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:31:33 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #841 on: June 11, 2012, 08:11:27 PM »

Wow... I had no idea.  Embarrassed

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #842 on: June 11, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »

That looks really good.

I am sure that it smell great while cooking. Cough. Cough. Cough.

Hey, did you know that Parmesan cheese, because it is aged, is a natural source of MSG?

AWESOME!

Unfortunately, I don't think most Americans are eating much real parm.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #843 on: June 11, 2012, 08:29:32 PM »

That looks really good.

Tastes good as well... I prefer the Stouffers TV dinners, but it's about the same price with about 33% less food, so...  Cool

I am sure that it smell great while cooking. Cough. Cough. Cough.

My food budget works out to about $7.50 a day. There isn't much "real" food that I like that fits into that budget. But I do take donations  Tongue

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 08:29:54 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #844 on: June 11, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »

My lunch costs $.35 a day.

Beat that Asteriktos!

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #845 on: June 11, 2012, 08:54:35 PM »

Beat that Asteriktos!

Ramen?

I'm going to need this.
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

« Reply #846 on: June 11, 2012, 08:55:47 PM »

I don't think I can ... is that good or bad?  Grin  I think the ramen noodles I often eat costs like 22¢, but I also usually have a half dozen crackers with it, which probably pushes it over 35¢.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #847 on: June 11, 2012, 09:10:47 PM »

Beat that Asteriktos!

Ramen?
Actually a sandwich and a piece of fruit.

But most of the time I have leftovers so...
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 09:10:59 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #848 on: June 12, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »

No lie, looks gross. lol

Forgive my sins.
celticfan1888
Archon

« Reply #849 on: June 12, 2012, 01:16:47 AM »

What I am craving:

Forgive my sins.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #850 on: June 12, 2012, 01:17:43 AM »

What I am craving:

Blech! Tongue You can have your stinking lutefisk!
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #851 on: June 12, 2012, 01:20:59 AM »

What I am craving:

What I am craving:

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #852 on: June 12, 2012, 01:47:56 AM »

No lie, looks gross. lol
puke!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

« Reply #853 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59:18 AM »

There is always some one who will post pictures of meat (no matter how gross) on the first day of a fast.
Yes, today is the beginning of the Apostles Fast.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #854 on: June 12, 2012, 03:12:52 AM »

There is always some one who will post pictures of meat (no matter how gross) on the first day of a fast.
Yes, today is the beginning of the Apostles Fast.
However, bulimia is not an acceptable way of fasting.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: