OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:05:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 60632 times) Average Rating: 0
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #765 on: June 08, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

Oh  I see. It's joke. I get it now. Wow..side splitting

I wonder if the Lord urged people to get vaccinations?

No, but lots of people die without them.

Or can die in spite of a vaccine .....

In a recent announcement on TV news (I do not know which channel as my husband was surfing channels), Feds (CDC) are saying that improperly stored vaccines (in doctor's "home" refrigerators) may be causing an outbreak of whooping cough among infants in Texas and Washington state. Since some doctors are not monitoring their home-type refrigerators, which can wildly vary in temperature, these vaccines are either too hot or subjected to freezing, which can destroy any benefits of receiving such a vaccine. Mention was also made that such refrigerators should be dedicated to vaccine and medicine storage only and should not be used for employee luncheons.

I may have miss heard but I think they found that 75% of the vaccines were rendered useless due to improper storage ( too hot or too cold).
What evidence do you have for this number?

60% of statistics are made up on the spot (with a +/- 5% margin of error).
Statistics can also be taken out of context to make them say something more than is really said. For instance, the article that Marc cited as his evidence for the 75% number states that "Inspectors visited the offices of 45 providers in five states who offered free immunizations as part of the government's Vaccines for Children (VFC) Program." We're talking about providers of free immunizations for low-income children here, NOT the whole vaccination system.

The story is what it is. It demonstrates extreme sloppiness and is a cause for concern that this type of miss handling is widespread.
I suppose it's a cause for concern if you wish to be concerned about it. To me, the sample was drawn from such a restrictive pool (providers of free vaccinations) that I'm not sure what it says about those organizations outside the pool (i.e., those that receive payment for vaccinations).
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #766 on: June 08, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »

The amount of people I see walking around with polio or small pox really shows how ineffective vaccines are.  

Can't tell if sarcastic or not. Hmm. :3

How many cases of small pox or polio are there per year in countries like the US, UK or Canada?  

Polio is no longer present in these populations. it was eradicated years ago. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that anyone would get it, immunized or not. You would need to travel to remote parts of Africa to come into contact with it anymore. Polio immunization at this late date is purely precautionary..

Which is my point - vaccinations work regardless of some anti-establishment crusade.  

I dont think anyone is saying "Vaccines don't work". It's just being pointed out that in a  very recent inspection by the CDC 75% of the vaccines in their sample had gone bad. I personally find that disturbing. Your mileage my vary

So the governmental inspectors identified a problem and I steps are being taking to correct it.  How does that play into some grand anti-establishment theory?

It's evidence of fairly extreme sloppiness that results in harm to people. No?
According to the article, the vaccinations sampled didn't become harmful; they just lost some of their effectiveness.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:10:43 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #767 on: June 08, 2012, 01:16:38 PM »

The story is what it is. It demonstrates extreme sloppiness and is a cause for concern that this type of miss handling is widespread. I don't think anyone thought the all vaccines everywhere offered by everyone were inspected.  it was a sample.., The results were shocking. I dont think anyone is saying that all vaccines or nearly all, at all times, given everywhere, don't really work.

Yes, this is shocking and definitely not a conspiracy theory as some people have been implying.

Patients must educate themselves, ask questions (as recommended by a governmental ad), and above all ask to see the patient insert or bottle to inspect the expiration date. Mistakes happen, and they happen all to frequently.

For instance, when I was hospitalized, the nurse came in to give me some medications. She was not following hospital procedures, so I asked her to double check my hospital ID bracelet with her records. She had the wrong patient, and had I not been awake at 2 AM that morning, she would have given me a drug to which I was allergic, and which had been prescribed to another patient. Since I have been hospitalized three times recently in three different hospitals, it is sad to report that this happened at least three times to me. Not an isolated event.

Patients, therefore, cannot blindly accept whatever treatments doctors and nurses want to administer.

Back on topic .... neither can patients blindly accept the fast foods that hospitals are now serving to patients. Almost all the hospitals in my area serve mass-produced fast foods that are loaded with preservatives, are so overcooked so that it is difficult to cut and chew any meat products, and have little flavor (i.e. they taste like cardboard). Thirty years ago, hospitals had award winning food services who would cater to the public and even provide meals to seniors. Few offer these services today in an effort to cut costs.

How can a patient get well if they are served a substandard diet without fresh fruits and vegetables and so have little nutritional value? Heck, hospitals today are not even following the diets suggested by the American Cancer Society.

Has anyone looked at the menus and diets provided in convalescent hospitals that cater to our elderly population? Pathetic.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:18:36 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #768 on: June 08, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »

Patients must educate themselves, ask questions (as recommended by a governmental ad), and above all ask to see the patient insert or bottle to inspect the expiration date. Mistakes happen, and they happen all to frequently.

I agree entirely.  Ask questions.  Always. 
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #769 on: June 08, 2012, 01:46:43 PM »

The amount of people I see walking around with polio or small pox really shows how ineffective vaccines are.  

How many cases of small pox or polio are there per year in countries like the US, UK or Canada?  

Polio is no longer present in these populations. it was eradicated years ago. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that anyone would get it, immunized or not. You would need to travel to remote parts of Africa to come into contact with it anymore. Polio immunization at this late date is purely precautionary..

Which is my point - vaccinations work regardless of some anti-establishment crusade.  

I dont think anyone is saying "Vaccines don't work". It's just being pointed out that in a  very recent inspection by the CDC 75% of the vaccines in their sample had gone bad. I personally find that disturbing. Your mileage my vary

So the governmental inspectors identified a problem and I steps are being taking to correct it.  How does that play into some grand anti-establishment theory?

According to the article, the vaccinations sampled didn't become harmful; they just lost some of their effectiveness.

And your point is?

Due to sloppiness and neglect 75% of the vaccines surveyed had gone bad either through improper storage or were too old.

Let's say this sample was usually sloppy. Let's give the rest of the country a break and reduce the percent downward to just 50% of vaccines have gone bad. Do you mean to say that it's a 50/50 chance that you are getting a worthless vaccination? How is that okay by anyone?

I got a flu shot last winter and still got the flu. Now I'm wondering if the dose had gone bad.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #770 on: June 08, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »

Flu shots do not protect you against all influenza viruses that are out there. Remember that these viruses also mutate.

The vaccine producers select viruses that they project will be the predominate ones for that season.
Sometimes, these companies are very accurate. Sometimes not.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:05:13 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #771 on: June 08, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »

And young infants, whose parents had so trusted in these vaccines, are now at risk of developing whooping cough, which is currently found in Washington, Texas, and Southern California. Incidentally, Southern California has been battling whooping cough for the past three years. At first they blamed the incidents on parents who have been refusing to immunize their children. Now even vaccinated infants are coming down with serious cases of whooping cough with some deaths.

Kids are dying. That is serious.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #772 on: June 08, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »

And your point is?
My point is that this was a restrictive sample and we shouldn't draw too much from this survey just yet.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #773 on: June 08, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »

From a biologist's stand-point, vaccines don't do very much. Injecting you with a weakened or killed form of a microbe produces much weaker antibodies that would be made from a full scale infection and natural recovery. So they vaccine fades over time.

Forgive my sins.
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #774 on: June 09, 2012, 07:09:20 AM »

Since we talking about sausage and such on the "Polish links" thread, here is a picture of what sausage and such ought to look like.  This is my weekly market purchase (except dairy and staples like flour).  The meats picture are blood sausage (кров'янка), head cheese (зельц) and salo.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 07:09:40 AM by Νεκτάριος » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #775 on: June 09, 2012, 10:20:55 AM »

Flu shots do not protect you against all influenza viruses that are out there. Remember that these viruses also mutate.

The vaccine producers select viruses that they project will be the predominate ones for that season.

That is always the explanation I would think of when me or a family member would get a flu shot but then still get the flu. I would think that the Pharmaceutical Companies simply didn't get the proper strain of flu into the vaccine. And if you were to ask me what percentage of shots had been miss handled and had gone bad ( ineffective) I would have guessed maybe 2%. Not 75% or 50% or 33.333 %.

Now I'm concerned about the three very painful depo provera shots my daughter got a couple of years ago. Were they effective? Was the hassle and pain for nothing? Is she protected from cervical cancer or not?

Not good.  IMHO

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #776 on: June 09, 2012, 10:24:05 AM »

Since we talking about sausage and such on the "Polish links" thread, here is a picture of what sausage and such ought to look like.  This is my weekly market purchase (except dairy and staples like flour).  The meats picture are blood sausage (кров'янка), head cheese (зельц) and salo.

Wow ! Looks great... Truly

Stay away from the Potatoes and it would be optimal in my opinion, but I cant say I could do better.

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #777 on: June 09, 2012, 04:49:28 PM »

If potatoes are the worst food that I eat, I don't see a huge problem. 

There is no dairy picture because I usually buy dairy on a separate trip to the market during the week.  Basically we eat meat on the weekends, dairy during the week.  I love local cheeses and making my own kefir.

I make my own sourdough bread, about 90% whole grain rye, 10% whole wheat.  A couple of slices of that with either cheese, творог (Quark according to wiki) or butter is my typical breakfast.  The other sort of staples I might make once or twice a week are brown rice, buckwheat or less often mamaliga (a Romanian corn porridge).  Pickled herring is a typical side dish a couple of times a week.  The only real luxury imported foods that I use are olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I'd posit that my diet is perfectly healthy and not even close to paleo.         
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #778 on: June 09, 2012, 04:56:14 PM »

That is always the explanation I would think of when me or a family member would get a flu shot but then still get the flu. I would think that the Pharmaceutical Companies simply didn't get the proper strain of flu into the vaccine. And if you were to ask me what percentage of shots had been miss handled and had gone bad ( ineffective) I would have guessed maybe 2%. Not 75% or 50% or 33.333 %.

Now I'm concerned about the three very painful depo provera shots my daughter got a couple of years ago. Were they effective? Was the hassle and pain for nothing? Is she protected from cervical cancer or not?

Not good.  IMHO

Depo Provera is used for birth control purposes. How can it protect from cervical cancer?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #779 on: June 09, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »

There is no dairy picture because I usually buy dairy on a separate trip to the market during the week.  Basically we eat meat on the weekends, dairy during the week.  I love local cheeses and making my own kefir.

I make my own sourdough bread, about 90% whole grain rye, 10% whole wheat.  A couple of slices of that with either cheese, творог (Quark according to wiki) or butter is my typical breakfast.  The other sort of staples I might make once or twice a week are brown rice, buckwheat or less often mamaliga (a Romanian corn porridge).  Pickled herring is a typical side dish a couple of times a week.  The only real luxury imported foods that I use are olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I'd posit that my diet is perfectly healthy and not even close to paleo.         

Marc's comment is nuttier than paleo pre-workout "meal".

I grew up eating a lot of rye with "quark" (we called it topfen).

And anything you could possibly pickle.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #780 on: June 09, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »

I may have miss heard but I think they found that 75% of the vaccines were rendered useless due to improper storage ( too hot or too cold).

Yup..The Medical Establishment can be trusted.. No problem.
You certainly missed something.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #781 on: June 09, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »

There is no dairy picture because I usually buy dairy on a separate trip to the market during the week.  Basically we eat meat on the weekends, dairy during the week.  I love local cheeses and making my own kefir.

I make my own sourdough bread, about 90% whole grain rye, 10% whole wheat.  A couple of slices of that with either cheese, творог (Quark according to wiki) or butter is my typical breakfast.  The other sort of staples I might make once or twice a week are brown rice, buckwheat or less often mamaliga (a Romanian corn porridge).  Pickled herring is a typical side dish a couple of times a week.  The only real luxury imported foods that I use are olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I'd posit that my diet is perfectly healthy and not even close to paleo.        

For lunch today, I made a fresh fruit salad with a yogurt topping. I try to use different colored fruits to maximize Vitamin A, C, and the antioxidants. The luncheon today consisted of: chopped pineapples, pears, and apricots with fresh blueberries. It was delicious.

Next, my husband and I had a couple of slices of brown rice bread smeared with almond butter.

Yum.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:01:54 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #782 on: June 09, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »

I love pickling.  Come winter time that's about the only way to get fruit that isn't from China.  Have you ever had pickled watermelon? 
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #783 on: June 09, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »

There is no dairy picture because I usually buy dairy on a separate trip to the market during the week.  Basically we eat meat on the weekends, dairy during the week.  I love local cheeses and making my own kefir.

I make my own sourdough bread, about 90% whole grain rye, 10% whole wheat.  A couple of slices of that with either cheese, творог (Quark according to wiki) or butter is my typical breakfast.  The other sort of staples I might make once or twice a week are brown rice, buckwheat or less often mamaliga (a Romanian corn porridge).  Pickled herring is a typical side dish a couple of times a week.  The only real luxury imported foods that I use are olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I'd posit that my diet is perfectly healthy and not even close to paleo.        

I love pickling.  Come winter time that's about the only way to get fruit that isn't from China.  Have you ever had pickled watermelon?  

Nope, unless you are talking just the rind, then yes.

Watermelons weren't quite abundant where I grew up and you pretty much had to buy them or have access to "cheap" water, so we didn't buy many. The few we did buy over the summer, we pickled the rinds.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:59:46 PM by orthonorm » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #784 on: June 09, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »

Pickled fruit, I don't think so. Dried fruit, though, is my new favorite thing from the grocery store. I love cherry bites and orange bites.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #785 on: June 09, 2012, 06:41:50 PM »

Pickled fruit, I don't think so. Dried fruit, though, is my new favorite thing from the grocery store. I love cherry bites and orange bites.

Ummm, you don't like "pickles"?

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #786 on: June 10, 2012, 12:59:31 AM »

Pickles are made from cucumbers and those are vegetables.

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #787 on: June 10, 2012, 01:21:09 AM »

Cucumbers are in the same family as melons, pumpkins, and squash. These are all considered to be fruits of the vine. In fact, a great summer fruit is watermelon.

Avocados are mistakenly called a vegetable as they are frequently tossed in with lettuce and tomatoes, but they are tree fruits.

Tomatoes are also considered to be fruits, which are very high in Lycopene, carotenoids, and other antioxidants.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #788 on: June 10, 2012, 01:25:44 AM »

You can make pickles from just about anything, not just cucumbers.   
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #789 on: June 10, 2012, 01:26:29 AM »

Out of curiousity, do Ukrainians drink coffee? I cannot go a day without my coffee and I need the Colombian stuff.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #790 on: June 10, 2012, 01:44:37 AM »

Out of curiousity, do Ukrainians drink coffee? I cannot go a day without my coffee and I need the Colombian stuff.
What brand are you drinking?

I drink the heavy French Roast Nescafe

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #791 on: June 10, 2012, 01:53:16 AM »

You can make pickles from just about anything, not just cucumbers.   

Yes, pickled artichokes and pickled eggs.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #792 on: June 10, 2012, 02:21:21 AM »

This one

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #793 on: June 10, 2012, 02:30:47 AM »

This one
That looks like the definition of strong to me.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #794 on: June 10, 2012, 02:47:33 AM »

Yes you can find coffee in the former USSR, but it is regional.  American style drip coffee isn't popular and coffee makers are silly expensive.  A lot of people who are just looking for a quick drug hit, use nescafe instant, which is disgusting IMO.  At home I make Turkish style coffee.  There is a decent sized Armenian population in my city, so getting all the things you need for decent coffee isn't a problem.  The best coffee in Ukraine comes from L'viv.  The city spent a fair amount of time under the Hapsburgs and picked up a Vienna coffee culture.  When I visit L'viv there is nothing I love more than visiting a good кав'ярня (traditional coffee shop) and enjoying good coffee and a torte.       
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #795 on: June 10, 2012, 02:56:37 AM »

American style drip coffee isn't popular and coffee makers are silly expensive.  A lot of people who are just looking for a quick drug hit, use nescafe instant, which is disgusting IMO.

? No drip coffee makers? Well how do you guys make coffee? The only alternatives I can think of are French press and the nasty Nescafé stuff. Surely, if drip coffee makers are too expensive, then surely you cannot afford a French press. And that Nescafé stuff taste horrible. How do you make coffee?

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #796 on: June 10, 2012, 08:15:02 AM »

The ACT and SAT both have reading comprehension sections.  Wink Grin

I'm going to need this.
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #797 on: June 10, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »

Whey Protein is the stuff man. A smoothie with it every day really gets you ripped (with obvious gym time).

Forgive my sins.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #798 on: June 10, 2012, 11:27:52 PM »

You should probably read one or two of these books before commenting. The picture you posted is well within what they recommend. But you dont know that because you dont really know what they recommend.

I saw meat with lots of fat content, lots of vegetables no refined foods at all, no candy no sugar and some potatoes. They say 85% compliance is just fine. Now you know.

How old are you?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #799 on: June 10, 2012, 11:30:51 PM »

And you ended up mentally impaired. So there ya go.

This insult to orthonorm's mental health is a low blow far below the civility you have demonstrated prior to this point on this thread, and you know better. For this ad hominem you are receiving this warning to last for the next 21 days. If you think this action unfair, feel free to appeal it to me via private message.

- PeterTheAleut

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #800 on: June 10, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »

Whey Protein is the stuff man. A smoothie with it every day really gets you ripped (with obvious gym time).
My friend was so stalky with the protein shakes. Lost it all when joining the Army. Yeah its pretty effective.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #801 on: June 10, 2012, 11:33:48 PM »

Not good.  IMHO

Depo Provera is used for birth control purposes. How can it protect from cervical cancer?

Right you are. Gardasil shots.. Young girls get three spaced out over some time. They are very painful. I'd hate to think they had gone bad and were not really effective. I guess we cant ever know for sure.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #802 on: June 10, 2012, 11:34:12 PM »

All you need is dat dere cell tech.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #803 on: June 11, 2012, 01:04:45 AM »

Cucumbers are in the same family as melons, pumpkins, and squash. These are all considered to be fruits of the vine. In fact, a great summer fruit is watermelon.

Avocados are mistakenly called a vegetable as they are frequently tossed in with lettuce and tomatoes, but they are tree fruits.

Tomatoes are also considered to be fruits, which are very high in Lycopene, carotenoids, and other antioxidants.

Thank you. I learned something!  Smiley

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #804 on: June 11, 2012, 02:35:51 AM »

You should probably read one or two of these books before commenting. The picture you posted is well within what they recommend. But you dont know that because you dont really know what they recommend.

I saw meat with lots of fat content, lots of vegetables no refined foods at all, no candy no sugar and some potatoes. They say 85% compliance is just fine. Now you know.

How old are you?

As I've said before, you've clearly never gathered wild fruit if you believe a basket of fruit is paleo.  Actually everything pictured is the result of agriculture.  Hence I reject the whole paradigm.   

The Russian interwebs are usually pretty decent for finding books to download, but I can't come up with anything from the paleo crowd.  From what I've scanned from google books and amazon, I get the picture. 

I'm 25, btw.   
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #805 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:45 AM »

I saw meat with lots of fat content, lots of vegetables no refined foods at all, no candy no sugar and some potatoes.
This is great except I would get leaner cuts of meat and lose the potatoes. Yams and sweet potatoes are better.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #806 on: June 11, 2012, 02:58:14 AM »

I saw meat with lots of fat content, lots of vegetables no refined foods at all, no candy no sugar and some potatoes.
This is great except I would get leaner cuts of meat and lose the potatoes. Yams and sweet potatoes are better.

I have never understood why people bring up sweet potatoes when someone else mentions potatoes; it makes me wonder whether or not they've had both.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #807 on: June 11, 2012, 03:05:28 AM »

I have never understood why people bring up sweet potatoes when someone else mentions potatoes; it makes me wonder whether or not they've had both.
Because sweet potatoes with brown sugar and melted butter is pretty amazing.

In all honesty yams and sweet potatoes are lower in calories and have 2/3rds more fiber. I just intake the best quality calories and watch the portion size.

That's not to say fresh potatoes is bad, that's not true. I just think people intake too many potatoes and its mostly in the form of greasy french fries and potato chips.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #808 on: June 11, 2012, 03:16:27 AM »

Because sweet potatoes with brown sugar and melted butter is pretty amazing.

In all honesty yams and sweet potatoes are lower in calories and have 2/3rds more fiber. I just intake the best quality calories and watch the portion size.

That's not to say fresh potatoes is bad, that's not true. I just think people intake too many potatoes and its mostly in the form of greasy french fries and potato chips.

You missed my point 100%; I was not objecting to sweet potatoes and yams (I love sweet potato fries), but rather pointing out that it is absurd to bring it up when someone else brings up potatoes.  I mean, if someone was talking about how they eat chicken, would you say "Well I would substitute the chicken with brocolli."  Potatoes and sweet potatoes have very little in common.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #809 on: June 11, 2012, 03:24:42 AM »

Um what? Both potatoes and sweet potatoes are starches. SPs do have more properties though.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: