OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:09:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 63465 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #360 on: September 18, 2011, 10:52:14 PM »

Mmm... fruit  Grin  That's like a once-a-week luxury for me, when I can get the strawberries or... ZOMG! ...raspberries!  But no, I commute, and it's just a community college anyway, haven't transferred... yet...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #361 on: September 18, 2011, 10:56:28 PM »

Bummer. My next suggestion is to check out a farmer's market near you -- they might have some cheap produce. But I even got some strawberries at our local grocery store for $2 this week.

I've been there, though. Lotsa ramen and some canned/frozen vegetables so I could spread out finishing them and not have to worry about them going bad so quickly. I just tried to compensate with exercise and water (although I am a soda addict too).

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #362 on: September 18, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »

I need to get my nutrition back on track... I've been stuck at about 204 lbs. for a couple months now...

Are there certain foods that you crave that keep the weight on?

Not sure, I think my food choices currently have more to do with budget than craving specific foods. I switched to diet soda, partly because of my diabetes and just wanting less carbs/sugar, but I've heard that just because it's diet that doesn't mean it's good for weight loss. That's about the only product that I'm hooked on. I've tried alternatives to soda but can't stick with any. Otherwise, I do eat quite a bit of processed and crap foods, somewhat because of convenience and somewhat because of budget issues. I don't eat 18¢ Ramen noodles and 88¢ Banquet TV dinners constantly, but let's just say that they're not uncommon either. I've read lots of books on this and that idea about food/nutrition, and even taken nutrition and cooking classes... now if only I could put some of the stuff into practice  Grin

Got it.

Junk food is loaded with sugar. What has happened is that Fat has been wrongly vilified as leading to heart disease ( turns out not to be true). Fat is what adds flavor to food and also satiates your hunger. It's very profitable for the Food Industry to remove fat and add sugar to replace the lost taste. The added sugar spikes your insulin so you lose control of your appetite. Insulin is a hormone that is as strong as heroin in terms of the boost it gives you and the cravings it produces.

So the idea is to go back to a high fat and high protein diet. It will get your insulin under better control and restore your natural appetite. People with diabetes do well with this type of eating ( of course consult your Doctor).  You are never hungry and you don't have to forcefully reduce calories. You will naturally eat less after a while if you get proper nutrition from animal products ( Meat, Fish, Eggs, butter etc.). Get your carbs from vegetables, nuts and occasionally fruit once your weight is stable.

Here is the formula: About 70% of your daily calories from Animal sources, Meat, Fish Eggs etc. 30% from vegetables fruit and nuts. Vegetables are best undercooked or even raw. Green leafy vegetables are very good. Coconut products and coconut oil has a certain type of fat ( Mid-chain) that is very good for you. Olive oil after that. Use Real Butter and Whole Milk (dont over do Milk if you need to lose weight).

Meat is best if you take the trouble to buy naturally pastured meat and eggs, not from factory farms. They are tremendously more nutritious. Look for "Grass Fed" labels on beef and "Cage Free" eggs. Eat eggs every day.

Just dont eat this way and still eat breads and pasta and high carb junk foods or sugar. Youre just going to trigger certain mechanism in your system which will opt to turn the sugar into stored fat before it gets to the good food. You will crowd out the good stuff with the bad stuff.

Good luck  

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:05:36 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #363 on: September 19, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »

How about take a multivitamin a day and dont worry about your food intake?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #364 on: September 19, 2011, 01:51:29 AM »

I need to get my nutrition back on track... I've been stuck at about 204 lbs. for a couple months now...

I'm 230. Of course I'm only 7-8% body fat...

Forgive my sins.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #365 on: September 19, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »

How about take a multivitamin a day and dont worry about your food intake?

Some supplements are helpful. For example Fish Oil or Cod Liver Oil helps add Omega 3 fats and Cod Liver replaces some A and D. But there is no magic pill that can make a poor diet into a good one. You can add some fat with the above pills but the quantity you would need is much larger than you probably are wiling to swallow in a single day. But more important if you continue to eat a diet with lots of highly refined sugared up food your main problem isnt going to be a vitamin deficiency.

The main problem is that your over-all metabolism is going to love the sugar hit. Your body recognizes sugar and sugared up high carb  food as a quick boost in case of an emergency. It will therefore burn it first and unless you are exercising like a maniac there will be lots of left over energy which it will immediately store as fat.

A more natural diet rich in fats and protein will burn at a steady rate, wont wreck you metabolism or confuse your liver. You will therefore avoid or heal up diabetes, get trimmer and have better more long lasting energy... A multi vitamin cant replace all that though sometimes it's not a bad idea to take one

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #366 on: September 19, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »

Another word or two how to properly get nutrients from your food and how to lower your food bill.

There are all kinds of trace nutrients like selenium and Cholesterol Sulfate and several other things that activate absorption of still other nutrients. For example, it may be very hard to absorb enough Vitamin D from pills without enough Cholesterol Sulfate in your diet. Getting D from the sun is best by far but it's hard to get outside enough to do much good.

Many of these essential nutrients are only found in Meat, Eggs and Seafood. That is why going vegetarian is not a good idea. These nutrients are the very things most helpful is warding off cancer and heart disease.

Foods that are naturally raised, like grass fed beef and natural eggs will contain these nutrients in abundance.

The consumption of organ meats like liver and beef heart, kidneys are most helpful. These foods are very high in the nutrients the body needs to function properly. Eating liver once per week like folks did in the 1950's should still be done.

Also, these cuts of meat are cheap cheap cheap. A large hunk-o-liver is about $1.00. A beef heart big enough to last for several meals is like $2.00. It's practically free food.

Also, tougher cuts are often more nutritious such as pork shoulder. The muscle is used more so there was more blood flow to it, hence better for us to eat. And less expensive by far.  

Also, I belong to a buying club. Several people at my Church belong too. If you cut out the middle man which is the chain grocery stores like Safeway etc. high quality grass fed meats become very affordable. Same with garden vegetables and milk. We order every ten days and pick the stuff up from a member's house. We get all our Eggs, Milk, Butter and much of our Red Meat this way and the reduced cost of buying direct from the farmer ( Amish Farmers in this case) offsets their higher costs of not cutting corners by using hormones or grains as a cheap feed. What appears on my table is what is on the small farmer's table too.

So with a little effort adjusting buying habits you can eat better food for less money and God willing avoid the Doctor bills too.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:51:02 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #367 on: October 17, 2011, 03:47:10 PM »

Experts: Healthy people may not need vitamins after all

Certain people might not benefit from taking daily vitamin supplements and could be doing more harm to themselves than good, two studies released this month suggest.

"For some people in the population, vitamins might really be a necessity," said David Schardt, a nutritionist at the Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington. "But for many others, they get what they need from their diet, and adding supplements may be too much."

Last week, researchers said a study of nearly 40,000 older women found a slightly higher risk of death among those taking dietary supplements, including multivitamins, folic acid, iron and copper. The Iowa Women's Health Study was an observational look and not a rigorous test...

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2012, 08:11:25 PM »

See what I did there?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:20:03 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #369 on: April 07, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »

See what I did there?

If you do follow a natural diet the only two things you may need to supplement is vitamin D and Omega 3 fat.

It is very difficult for modern people to get enough sun to metabolize enough D ( which is really a hormone). So unless you are a Life Guard or have an outdoor job in a hot climate, you need to take a D3 pill, at least 2000 mg.

Most of our meat is factory raised so it is deficient in Omega 3, therefore you need to supplement. If you eat all grass fed meat and lots of seafood you may not need to.  

Adding other vitamins such as B's and C and E may actually disrupt the natural balance of our system and cause problems
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:04:48 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #370 on: April 07, 2012, 10:55:46 PM »

See what I did there?

If you do follow a natural diet the only two things you may need to supplement is vitamin D and Omega 3 fat.

It is very difficult for modern people to get enough sun to metabolize enough D ( which is really a hormone). So unless you are a Life Guard or have an outdoor job in a hot climate, you need to take a D3 pill, at least 2000 mg.

Most of our meat is factory raised so it is deficient in Omega 3, therefore you need to supplement. If you eat all grass fed meat and lots of seafood you may not need to.  

Adding other vitamins such as B's and C and E may actually disrupt the natural balance of our system and cause problems
How so?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #371 on: April 08, 2012, 12:04:11 AM »

Actually my last post was edited. I had put a link to a video refuting the sensationalistic nonsense about sugar being dangerous/toxic. I thought better of it though, not because of the points made, but more because of who was making the points.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #372 on: April 08, 2012, 05:34:30 PM »

Actually my last post was edited. I had put a link to a video refuting the sensationalistic nonsense about sugar being dangerous/toxic. I thought better of it though, not because of the points made, but more because of who was making the points.

I would find that interesting. Could you send it to me via PM?

60 minutes ran a piece last week about how bad sugar is for you. I didnt see it but my mother who is the biggest sugar junkie in the world did and decided to cut back.

Here is a good youtube on sugar by a well respected researcher. I found it to be pretty persuasive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&ob=av3e

IreneOlinyk

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #373 on: April 08, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »

I would find that interesting. Could you send it to me via PM?

60 minutes ran a piece last week about how bad sugar is for you. I didnt see it but my mother who is the biggest sugar junkie in the world did and decided to cut back.

Here is a good youtube on sugar by a well respected researcher. I found it to be pretty persuasive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&ob=av3e
My local newspaper did an article about this past week too.  I was interested to read about hidden sources of sugar in prepared food and sauces even bought spagetti sauce in a jar or can.  PLus way too much sodium and added msg.
IreneOlinyk

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox (EP)

« Reply #374 on: April 08, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »

Mmm... fruit  Grin  That's like a once-a-week luxury for me, when I can get the strawberries or... ZOMG! ...raspberries!  But no, I commute, and it's just a community college anyway, haven't transferred... yet...
What about simple fruits like oranges and bananas?  Not the expensive strawberries and raspberries out of season.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #375 on: April 08, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »

I've started to like dried fruit. I get bags of them.  Smiley
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #376 on: April 08, 2012, 09:35:09 PM »

There is a trend to use old fashion "Natural Sugar" ( table sugar, sucrose) in Soda as if it is better than High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Table Sugar is not "Natural", it does not occur in nature in that form. When nature produces Sugar there is always lots of fiber wrapped around it. Cane Sugar, which table sugar is extracted from is like a tree branch. It would take lots of chewing to get at the sweetness. Same with a Apple or Orange or other fruit. There is no such thing in Nature as a big pile of white sugar.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 09:37:27 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #377 on: April 08, 2012, 09:46:01 PM »

There is a trend to use old fashion "Natural Sugar" ( table sugar, sucrose) in Soda as if it is better than High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Table Sugar is not "Natural", it does not occur in nature in that form. When nature produces Sugar there is always lots of fiber wrapped around it. Cane Sugar, which table sugar is extracted from is like a tree branch. It would take lots of chewing to get at the sweetness. Same with a Apple or Orange or other fruit. There is no such thing in Nature as a big pile of white sugar.

Everything is natural. Just stop it. On this point. Either everything is natural or nothing is.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #378 on: April 08, 2012, 10:00:41 PM »

Everything is natural. Just stop it. On this point. Either everything is natural or nothing is.

You can not encounter table sugar in the wild. It doesn't exist in that form.

Here is the 60 Minutes story:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cREfDcEvY4

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #379 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:06 PM »

I agree. Though it's also all chemical. So when people make the distinction, they're wrong on both counts.

This was one of the main things I meant to include with my "sensationalistic nonsense" remark above.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #380 on: April 08, 2012, 10:25:38 PM »

What is the wild? Where is it?

This is an untenable position to hold. You don't encounter tables in the wild. People in the wild. Whatever. I can make the wild whatever Eden you think we fell from.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #381 on: April 08, 2012, 10:38:30 PM »

This is an untenable position to hold. You don't encounter tables in the wild. People in the wild. Whatever. I can make the wild whatever Eden you think we fell from.

Tables, and sugar are manufactured. Refined sugar was never part of the human diet until we learned to manufacture it very recently. It is discordent with our genetic makeup and we are finding through scientific investigation that it is toxic and a central cause of several deadly diseases.

You can go into a field and find sugar cane. You can not go into a field and find a big pile of white sugar. It does not occur in nature.

Why is this so difficult for you?

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #382 on: April 08, 2012, 10:44:00 PM »

Tables, and sugar are manufactured. Refined sugar was never part of the human diet until we learned to manufacture it very recently. It is discordent with our genetic makeup and we are finding through scientific investigation that it is toxic and a central cause of several deadly diseases.

You can go into a field and find sugar cane. You can not go into a field and find a big pile of white sugar. It does not occur in nature.

Because you are incoherent.

You can't go into a field and find cane sugar. Gonna hop on that plane, boat? Use a map? How are you going to do it?

You are hyper-vigilant about food. Awesome.

You have the means to afford it. Awesome.

But don't call it natural. Don't call those who ain't got the hang-ups or the means to assuage them "unnatural".

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #383 on: April 08, 2012, 10:52:38 PM »

Radically altering your diet and excluding many common food elements on the basis of theories about how man ate thousands of years ago= natural

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #384 on: April 09, 2012, 12:15:08 AM »

Marc's paleo diet sounds so good in reality and would be really beneficial for me when I workout.

But then orthonorm ruins it. Cheesy Tongue

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #385 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:26 AM »

Marc's paleo diet sounds so good in reality and would be really beneficial for me when I workout.

But then orthonorm ruins it. Cheesy Tongue
Why do you let him have so much impact? Huh Wink
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #386 on: April 09, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »

Why is it so difficult for you to resist the urge to argue with orthonorm? Wink
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #387 on: April 09, 2012, 04:28:36 PM »

You can't go into a field and find cane sugar. Gonna hop on that plane, boat? Use a map? How are you going to do it?

But don't call it natural. Don't call those who ain't got the hang-ups or the means to assuage them "unnatural".

I said you cant go out into a field and find white table sugar. It is a manufactured product and does not exist in that form in nature.

I think people are interested because 60 minutes just did a story on the toxicity of sugar.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #388 on: April 09, 2012, 05:11:31 PM »

I said you cant go out into a field and find white table sugar. It is a manufactured product and does not exist in that form in nature.

I think people are interested because 60 minutes just did a story on the toxicity of sugar.

So what?

What is "natural" is what you can find in a field?

I assure you I can find a field that contains "white table sugar". They are called malls.

And anything you alter with your hands and via metaphor your body is manufactured.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #389 on: April 09, 2012, 07:56:36 PM »

So what?

I assure you I can find a field that contains "white table sugar". They are called malls.

And anything you alter with your hands and via metaphor your body is manufactured.

That's  very pithy. Meanwhile, the evidence is mounting that sugar is pretty toxic.

In nature when you encounter Fructose ( Sugar) there is lots of fiber wrapped around it, like an apple or a sugar cane. When you remove the sugar and separate it out you are eating very high levels minus the fiber. That will send your system into a tizzy Smiley Plus, it's addicting.

What's worse is that they can now remove the Fructose from Corn Starch very very cheaply. Now they are able to sweeten up all kinds of things.
As Dr. Lustig said in that report, they vilified fat incorrectly, but when you take out fat you also take out taste. They replaced it with sugar and now very cheaply made high fructose corn syrup which is equally as toxic as sugar.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 07:57:28 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #390 on: April 09, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »

Um, but it tastes good...   Embarrassed
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #391 on: April 09, 2012, 08:02:24 PM »

Did you watch the 60 minutes story? I learned something very interesting. Apparently we have evolved to recognize foods that are poisonous by their bad taste and safe to eat food by sweetness. Therefore, we will gorge on sweet tasting foods given the opportunity. We are genetically predisposed to do that. The problem is that modern people have learned to process sugar in great quantities and put it in everything.  Tongue

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #392 on: April 09, 2012, 08:03:36 PM »

Because it's yummy!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #393 on: April 09, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »

So what?

That's  very pithy. Meanwhile, the evidence is mounting that sugar is pretty toxic.

If I took a walk through your proverbial field I would probably find some things that are pretty toxic, without any refining or manufacturing needed. You can make the case for sugar's toxicity without the specious "it's unnatural" argument.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #394 on: April 09, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »

Well, we're all going to die from something, so...
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #395 on: April 09, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »

Did you watch the 60 minutes story? I learned something very interesting. Apparently we have evolved to recognize foods that are poisonous by their bad taste and safe to eat food by sweetness. Therefore, we will gorge on sweet tasting foods given the opportunity. We are genetically predisposed to do that. The problem is that modern people have learned to process sugar in great quantities and put it in everything.  Tongue

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #396 on: April 09, 2012, 08:17:46 PM »

Glory to God for this contribution. This needs to be said (and heard) in so many other places.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #397 on: April 09, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »

They replaced it with sugar and now very cheaply made high fructose corn syrup which is equally as toxic as sugar.
I thought that high fructose corn syrup was more toxic than beet sugar.
In any event, the fact that something is said to be all natural does not guarantee that it is healthful. For example, aren't xylitol and stevia said to be all natural sugar substitutes?
However, there is a claim that xylitol can cause liver failure and death in dogs. And a claim  that stevia may be either a carcinogen or that it might have a contraceptive effect.
Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #398 on: April 09, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »

Apparently we have evolved to recognize foods that are poisonous by their bad taste and safe to eat food by sweetness. Therefore, we will gorge on sweet tasting foods given the opportunity. We are genetically predisposed to do that. The problem is that modern people have learned to process sugar in great quantities and put it in everything.  Tongue

Maybe gorging, not sugar is the problem?

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #399 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:12 PM »

Those pink frosted donuts from 7-11 were good.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #400 on: April 09, 2012, 09:07:24 PM »

So what?

In nature when you encounter Fructose ( Sugar) there is lots of fiber wrapped around it, like an apple or a sugar cane. When you remove the sugar and separate it out you are eating very high levels minus the fiber. That will send your system into a tizzy Smiley Plus, it's addicting.

What's worse is that they can now remove the Fructose from Corn Starch very very cheaply. Now they are able to sweeten up all kinds of things.
As Dr. Lustig said in that report, they vilified fat incorrectly, but when you take out fat you also take out taste. They replaced it with sugar and now very cheaply made high fructose corn syrup which is equally as toxic as sugar.

You keep saying sugar is toxic, and it's kind of silly.

You NEED sugar. Your body turns sugar (which start as carbs, usually) into its fuel, the form of usable energy: adenosine triphosphate (ATP). Every cell of your body needs and uses ATP: for mitosis, DNA and RNA synthesis, active transport... all kinds of stuff. You take a jog? Your skeletal muscles need ATP. ATP is even used as a neurotransmitter. I could go on.

Table sugar, by the way, is sucrose- a disaccharide. In digestion, your body takes the enzyme sucrase to break sucrose down into a fructose and a glucose. So, yeah, I doubt I'll ever see a Domino tree with little yellow bags of white granulated sugar hanging off of its boughs, but let's not act like eating sucrose is like ingesting arsenic.

If your carb/sugar intake exceeds your body's energy needs, it'll get stored as triglyceride... a.k.a. fat. So it seems to me that as with most things, the key here is moderation.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #401 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:22 PM »

So what?

If I took a walk through your proverbial field I would probably find some things that are pretty toxic, without any refining or manufacturing needed. You can make the case for sugar's toxicity without the specious "it's unnatural" argument.

I am only reacting to the latest advertising fraud that poses white sugar as being natural. I think the soda Sierra Mist tries to palm off sugar as more natural and better for you than HFCS. It's nothing of the kind.

The evolutionary template to determine what is the natural human diet keeps getting verified by things like these latest sugar studies as shown on 60 minutes... Funny, huh?

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #402 on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:59 PM »

I am only reacting to the latest advertising fraud that poses white sugar as being natural. I think the soda Sierra Mist tries to palm off sugar as more natural and better for you than HFCS. It's nothing of the kind.
I don't say that sugar is good for you, but studies have shown that HFCS is worse than cane sugar. For example:
"A Princeton University study showed rats gained significant more weight when consuming HFCS in comparison to table sugar, even when the caloric intake was the same. .... The rats who consumed HFCS gained 48% more weight than their sucrose peers and had significant deposits of abdominal fat and circulating triglycerides. In humans, these are characteristics of obesity, heart disease, diabetes and cancer."
See: High fructose corn syrup and cane sugar - Your body knows the difference
http://www.naturalnews.com/032281_HFCS_sugar.html
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #403 on: April 10, 2012, 12:20:39 AM »

biro's approach is the best. If it tastes good, eat it.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #404 on: April 10, 2012, 05:06:12 AM »

The piece of information I found most interesting in the segment was about addiction and diminishing returns of pleasure from sugar consumption.  Since I've cut out nearly all added sugar to my diet, desserts have begun to taste so much better!  I have desserts pretty much only on holidays now.  On ordinary days an apple of banana tastes amazingly sweet if that is all the sugar you consume.  For me the moral of the story is to eat good, rich foods - just in moderation.   It will both be healthier and more enjoyable. 

As for the naturalness of sugar - try making wine.  It is easy to get over the top dessert wine.  In fact it is easier to make than dry wine. 
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: