OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 05:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 60712 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2011, 09:33:24 PM »

orthonorm what does your daily diet consist of?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2011, 09:51:25 PM »

Just an interesting tidbit about the terms being used... here in Pennsylvania (I don't know how it is elsewhere) the term nutritionist is not regulated. My 5 year old daughter could call herself a nutritionist. Dietitian (certified and/or licensed), dietetic technician, dietary manager, etc. are all regulated, but not the most common term and the one that the public knows best: nutritionist. According to my nutrition teacher (ha) it had to do with certain groups lobbying for it to stay that way when the government was writing the regulations.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #317 on: March 03, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »

Well I was obese through puberty, and I feel my doctors are all . . . . wait this is a Christian forum so maybe I better not say...lol!

BTW are you a nutritionist? Sorry if that's a stupid question, just curious....

I meant to get back to this. The fasting thread where people are fretting over being "paleo" reminded me.

Please look up the requirements to be a nutritionist at most schools. Then never see one for any help with your diet.

I could give you tons of reasons why this paleo stuff utter nonsense for the most part. Certainly the theory, the idea it helps everyone lose weight and is better for you, etc. But since it is a religion, it won't matter.

BTW Marc, I was hitting ketosis and eating what you would consider "paleo" before you ever heard the names Devany, Cordain, Weston Price, and Taubes and the rest of the wackos or nutritionist Scholastics. This is nothing new, these knowledges and their realistic application have been around for centuries.

I am not a nutritionist. I've been a highly competitive athlete in many sports where dietary discipline was of the utmost importance and have ran in circles with others in the same spot.

Also because of that, I've read and know many real folks who help people lose weight successfully and sanely with a high level of success.

As I have maybe mentioned, just last year among three of the people who asked my help they have lost in total over 200 pounds.

The "hormonal argument" has legitimacy and is one of the reasons why you pretty much are never going to look much thinner than you were as you exited puberty. If a woman and put on excessive weight, you also will not "bounce back". Also if treated for a long time on high dose hormonal therapy can also create changes in your body composition which may be irreversible.

You've lost a lot of weight. Those last "pounds" are going to be difficult and nearly impossible to keep off because of the excess fat CELLS you created during puberty. Someone like me can blow up 75 pounds and unless under some incredible hormonal change, I will EDIT: not create any significant amount of new fat cells. Losing that weight will just require discipline on my part.

Sometimes a diet high in fat (not high in protein) is a life saver for type II diabetes folks, folks with epilepsy, people trying to offset the hormonal problems of SERIOUS hormonal therapy, and some folks just find it easier to find satiety on fewer calories. It can also help alter the slight hormonal effect the proverbial "beer belly" has on the body, but that is venturing into calories on a head of rice cake land.

I feel for the kids whose parents allowed them to overeat during puberty and are saddled the rest of theirs lives looking unlike the magazines say you should.

The good news is that your fat is probably relatively evenly distributed (I've never seen you) and has almost no correlation with high rates of morbidity. In fact, God forbid you suffer from a wasting disease or have to get chemo, you are in better shape to survive than I am.

People like my father who were athletes and in shape in their 20's then put on the enormous guy are the ones who have the unhealthy correlation.

Take your "true waist" to hip ratio. As a guy if you are around EDIT DUE TIREDNESS .9 (or even 1.0), you are great.

Until nutrition science gets to the point where they are able to tailor your diet to your genes (there is a little bit of this going on already), people will thrive on high fat, low fat, junk food, vegan, etc.

We are robust creatures which have needed to survice and thrive in many conditions.

People who fret over food and whether the grass their hamburger ate was organic are probably are going to have worse health due to stress than if they just ate Chicken McNuggets.

One last word: stress. If food is always a comfort, then one should probably get some help with the anxiety in their lives.

Best of Luck Northern. I truly do feel for people who get judged by their "weight" in a culture that becomes more and more obsessed with food and health and yet seems to grow more and more unhealthy and obese.

Again congratulations on your weight loss! That much weight to lose is no mean feat!

The only person who seems stressed out over this topic is you my friend. I wonder why this makes you so angry..

And no one is "fretting" about anything, certainly not over minutia like if grass is organic. When people learn how our beef is raised, how inhumane it is and how unhealthy the finished product is for them and their family, they often discover that grass fed beef is far better. That is hardly "fretting" over "Organic grass"

It is not just a matter of weight gain or loss . People want to stay healthy and avoid cancer, heart disease and diabetes. They also dont want to lose their youthful engery and keep the lead in their pencil...so to speak.

If you don't care , then don't. Many people find the topic of nutrition and health interesting and helpful. Go figure.

If you would like to learn something about Grass Fed Beef, this blog seems to be a good one:

http://www.johnrobbins.info/blog/grass-fed-beef/

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #318 on: March 03, 2011, 02:17:52 AM »

Not angry just one more way people obsessing over food without cause. Not too mention it would fly completely in the face of the Gospel. It is an untenable diet for the entire planet and extremely resource intensive.

As mentioned above:

My bread is a material problem, my brother's a spiritual one.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #319 on: March 03, 2011, 02:20:09 AM »

orthonorm what does your daily diet consist of?

Already answered this:

Food.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2011, 02:27:09 AM »

And no one is "fretting" about anything, certainly not over minutia like if grass is organic.

You all don't get hyperbole, but . . .

Denial ain't just a river that God parted so that the Hebrewa could walk through it and then drown the entire Egyptian army in . . .

I say with all the love in my heart. Maybe you don't worry, but your posts sure suggest so. Re-read them.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #321 on: March 03, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »

Not angry just one more way people obsessing over food without cause. Not too mention it would fly completely in the face of the Gospel. It is an untenable diet for the entire planet and extremely resource intensive.

As mentioned above:

My bread is a material problem, my brother's a spiritual one.

None of that is true. No one is obsessing except you. Nothing in the gospel directs you to eat junk and get sick. The Lord ate meat. Hitler was a vegetarian btw.

We have addressed the matter of resources before. If people were far less sick, if we were able to get rid of diabetes, most cancer and most heart disease, we would have tremendous savings. If people ate a natural human diet made up of nutrient dense foods, they would eat far less calories and therefore there would be a great savings or at least a break even on land, animal feed, water  etc.

A healthier population would be more productive, work hader and longer and be more prosperous and thereby able to share more in the tax burden

Just wait till the  73 million baby boomers get elderly. Most will be very sick with chronic diseases thanks to the profit motivated diet that has been foisted on us. Where will they all live when they need to be taken care of? Where are the resources?  

Here is a friendly observation. i think you may associate diet and weight loss with a lot of stress based on your personal experience. it is causing you to project your stress onto a valid and healthy (mentally and physically) interest by many of us in Nutrition and Health,  
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:26:40 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #322 on: March 03, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »

And no one is "fretting" about anything, certainly not over minutia like if grass is organic.

Denial ain't just a river that God parted so that the Hebrewa could walk through it and then drown the entire Egyptian army in . . .

I say with all the love in my heart. Maybe you don't worry, but your posts sure suggest so. Re-read them.

You're projecting.. I take great pleasure in reading about Nutrition. I enjoy eating "Paleo" very much. I love that kind of food and I have seen marked improvement in my health and especially in my energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFZoqmKf5M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEYcoPH7VNU&feature=related

It is on a par with other interests like reading and learning about the Civil War or current events. There is pleasure involved, not worry or stress.

I am p.o.ed about how we have been lied to and manipulated by Agribusiness. But that is a political issue like being unhappy about an unjust war or our national debt.

Maybe you could move on and simply ask questions or propose alternatives in a friendly way.  thanks   

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #323 on: March 03, 2011, 01:58:55 PM »

You're projecting.. I take great pleasure in reading about Nutrition. I enjoy eating "Paleo" very much. I love that kind of food and I have seen marked improvement in my health and especially in my energy.

It is on a par with other interests like reading and learning about the Civil War or current events. There is pleasure involved, not worry or stress.

I am p.o.ed about how we have been lied to and manipulated by Agribusiness. But that is a political issue like being unhappy about an unjust war or our national debt.

Maybe you could move on and simply ask questions or propose alternatives in a friendly way.  thanks   

There are no questions I need answers to about "paleo". As noted above, this stuff is old news for folks who actually have to be keen about their diet for performance. After a decade or two you see these fad come and go. If you do any reading, you see this has been going on for forever. The facts against the legend behind paleo are myriad.

As for alternatives. Moderation. Big deal.

If I had to choose one person for someone who would like to really nerd out on all this, here is your guy:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

He PWNs all the nonsense. Thankfully, unless you are a competitive athlete, you can basically follow granny's advice.

One half of my family is basically genetically programmed to die before 50 of heart disease, the other not to so much. My grandmother not on the time bomb side is thin, active, and healthy at 80. She eats those terrible grains and all the non-paleo foods. Thing is she eats small portions, three times a day. Big deal.

It is amount of calories in the end that matter. Longevity is more closely associated with fewer calories, then greater amount of physical activity.

Again Lyle does not suffer fools lightly and will give you well documented and substantiated sources info, something none of the paleo gurus have yet to do.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #324 on: March 03, 2011, 03:48:35 PM »

Maybe you could move on and simply ask questions or propose alternatives in a friendly way.  thanks  

There are no questions I need answers to about "paleo". As noted above, this stuff is old news for folks who actually have to be keen about their diet for performance. After a decade or two you see these fad come and go. If you do any reading, you see this has been going on for forever. The facts against the legend behind paleo are myriad.

If I had to choose one person for someone who would like to really nerd out on all this, here is your guy:

He PWNs all the nonsense. Thankfully, unless you are a competitive athlete, you can basically follow granny's advice.

One half of my family is basically genetically programmed to die before 50 of heart disease, the other not to so much. My grandmother not on the time bomb side is thin, active, and healthy at 80. She eats those terrible grains and all the non-paleo foods. Thing is she eats small portions, three times a day. Big deal.

It is amount of calories in the end that matter. Longevity is more closely associated with fewer calories, then greater amount of physical activity.

Again Lyle does not suffer fools lightly and will give you well documented and substantiated sources info, something none of the paleo gurus have yet to do.

No one has said this is brand new. Just the opposite. The idea is at least to go back to what your grandparents ate. Far less sugar and lots of saturated fat.

Once again, the only issue is not weight loss. Moderation is a good thing. But if you include stuff that is anathema to your natural make up, you will hurt yourself.

Dogs and people have a similar digestion system. Go feed your dog junk food and a grain based diet "in moderation" as see how long he lives.

What are your questions about the Paleo Diet?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:50:35 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #325 on: March 03, 2011, 04:34:30 PM »

Maybe you could move on and simply ask questions or propose alternatives in a friendly way.  thanks  

No one has said this is brand new. Just the opposite. The idea is at least to go back to what your grandparents ate. Far less sugar and lots of saturated fat.

Once again, the only issue is not weight loss. Moderation is a good thing. But if you include stuff that is anathema to your natural make up, you will hurt yourself.

Dogs and people have a similar digestion system. Go feed your dog junk food and a grain based diet "in moderation" as see how long he lives.

What are your questions about the Paleo Diet?

I said I have no questions. Because "paleo" isn't an answer to anything. It just a buzz word fad. Grains are not an anathema to your "natural" make up.

Lulz at your dog comp.

The paleolithic was not monolithic.

I am not going to convince you, because you approach this like religion. Like I said there are rationals within the Paleo BS, like there are rationals within backwater Baptists, but for the most part it is nonsense.

Just pointing out the nonsense so that others don't buy into it as a panacea.

I need to make no defense, as I said paleo has been laughed at from the get go by those who been around. The link above, you will find Lyle takes a reasonable and rational approach to weight development, including peer reviewed studies involving paleo / early neolithic patterns of eating (which vary wildly).

But if it works for you, good on you. But pretty much any diet with the appropriate amount of calories would.

You really should check out Lyle's stuff especially the forum. You have to remember cuisine is function of environment and what might be fine for small tight knit communities which starve at times, engage in difficult work, have low chronic stress punctuated by extreme high bouts of stress, might not fit into a world of alienated, sedentary, chronically stressed people.

Paleo sure ain't Lenten nor Civil War kosher, but wth . . .

Enjoy!

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #326 on: March 03, 2011, 05:51:00 PM »

I said I have no questions. Because "paleo" isn't an answer to anything. It just a buzz word fad. Grains are not an anathema to your "natural" make up.

Every person who lived in the Paleolithic Era hunted and gathered for their food without exception. The era after agriculture began is called the Neolithic Era.

Therefore, Paleolithic people were confined to what they could kill or gather up. If they ate any grain at all it would have to be gathered, since there was no cultivation. The amount of energy required to gather small wild grains would exclude it as a regular food source. Too much energy out-go for too little energy consumption.

Anthropologists also know with high certainty that Paleolithic man ate lots of meat from examination of bones. If you don't eat meat, your bones are thin and pock marked. If you ate meat, your bones are thick and strong and have no cavities or holes.

The Neolithic Era is very very recent. In terms of evolutionary time it has not been long enough to alter our basic genetic disposition for the foods of the Paleo Era. The Paleo Era lasted about 2.6 million years. The Neolithic has only been for 10,000. We have not yet adapted well to these new agricultural foods, so the theory goes.

I am not going to convince you, because you approach this like religion. Like I said there are rationals within the Paleo BS, like there are rationals within backwater Baptists, but for the most part it is nonsense.

Oh okay... If you say so.

Adding one or two facts would help also. So far all you have done is make snide remarks

But if it works for you, good on you. But pretty much any diet with the appropriate amount of calories would.

Once again, you seem to be hyper focused on weight loss and not Health. If you feed someone 1000 calories of sugar and 1000 calories worth of meat, vegetables and fruit, do you really think you would have the same health outcome? It matters what you eat, not just the amount of calories. Some foods don't digest well and some cause internal  inflammation that lead to heart disease and other nasty aliments...  Some foods are carcinogenic and some mess with your hormones like Soy.

You really should check out Lyle's stuff especially the forum. You have to remember cuisine is function of environment and what might be fine for small tight knit communities which starve at times, engage in difficult work, have low chronic stress punctuated by extreme high bouts of stress, might not fit into a world of alienated, sedentary, chronically stressed people.

I shall, but you should know that this type of criticism has been debunked. The picture of starving hunter gatherers always on the run turns out not to be very accurate. For example, American Indians needed only about 3 hours per day to get food and do chores. They liked to sleep late abd warfare was a rather civil affair ( Coup counting etc.)..Not always and not everywhere of course. Certainly Primitive people had many hardships to over come. But by in large, your image has more to do with Hollywood movies than accurate history.

Really?? Why is that? Just cut out the meat for 60 days... there is nothing more Lenten about sugar and pasta and soda.Lots of vegetables, fruits and nuts is perfectly Lenten.............Right?

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:55:43 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #327 on: March 03, 2011, 06:10:29 PM »

Really?? Why is that? Just cut out the meat for 60 days... there is nothing more Lenten about sugar and pasta and soda.Lots of vegetables, fruits and nuts is perfectly Lenten.............Right?

Sorry nothing but a half loaf of bread here, a pinch of salt, and 12 oz. of water for the entire season.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #328 on: March 03, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »

Every person who lived in the Paleolithic Era hunted and gathered for their food without exception. The era after agriculture began is called the Neolithic Era.

Therefore, Paleolithic people were confined to what they could kill or gather up. If they ate any grain at all it would have to be gathered, since there was no cultivation. The amount of energy required to gather small wild grains would exclude it as a regular food source. Too much energy out-go for too little energy consumption.

Anthropologists also know with high certainty that Paleolithic man ate lots of meat from examination of bones. If you don't eat meat, your bones are thin and pock marked. If you ate meat, your bones are thick and strong and have no cavities or holes.

The Neolithic Era is very very recent. In terms of evolutionary time it has not been long enough to alter our basic genetic disposition for the foods of the Paleo Era. The Paleo Era lasted about 2.6 million years. The Neolithic has only been for 10,000. We have not yet adapted well to these new agricultural foods, so the theory goes.

Oh okay... If you say so.

Adding one or two facts would help also. So far all you have done is make snide remarks

Once again, you seem to be hyper focused on weight loss and not Health. If you feed someone 1000 calories of sugar and 1000 calories worth of meat, vegetables and fruit, do you really think you would have the same health outcome? It matters what you eat, not just the amount of calories. Some foods don't digest well and some cause internal  inflammation that lead to heart disease and other nasty aliments...  Some foods are carcinogenic and some mess with your hormones like Soy.

I shall, but you should know that this type of criticism has been debunked. The picture of starving hunter gatherers always on the run turns out not to be very accurate. For example, American Indians needed only about 3 hours per day to get food and do chores. They liked to sleep late abd warfare was a rather civil affair ( Coup counting etc.)..Not always and not everywhere of course. Certainly Primitive people had many hardships to over come. But by in large, your image has more to do with Hollywood movies than accurate history.

As I said, cherry-picking and legends. If it works for you good. I don't have to offer any "facts". It's nonsense to anyone who looks beneath the sale-pitch.

Not that it is without merit. Again check out Lyle.

But I am talking health as well. What "health" is, is another subject.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 06:17:31 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #329 on: March 04, 2011, 04:37:30 PM »

Mmm snow crab dipped in butter.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #330 on: March 04, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »

See other thread. You keep the crab and I'll eat the butter. Fresh butter I can eat by the spoonful.

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #331 on: March 04, 2011, 05:24:35 PM »

Any advice on Lenten fasting combined with a somewhat ill timed (roughly corresponding), somewhat rigorous physical training regimen would be appreciated. 

Obviously, my primary concern is with protein/amino acids.  I know the "protein rich" veggies and such are helpful, but they're nowhere near as complete as animal based proteins.  My guess is lots of the spineless ones.

Thanks in advance.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #332 on: March 04, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »

See other thread. You keep the crab and I'll eat the butter. Fresh butter I can eat by the spoonful.

Which thread?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #333 on: March 05, 2011, 12:17:31 AM »

Which thread?

I just had mentioned I am allergic to shellfish.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #334 on: March 05, 2011, 12:22:39 AM »

That's alright, most seafood is overrated anyway.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #335 on: March 05, 2011, 12:40:46 AM »

Sorry nothing but a half loaf of bread here, a pinch of salt, and 12 oz. of water for the entire season.

You must be very proud of yourself.

Never the less, you said eating vegetables, fruits and nuts, etc. were not Lenten. Of course they are.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #336 on: March 05, 2011, 12:43:45 AM »

Never the less, you said eating vegetables, fruits and nuts, etc. were not Lenten. Of course they are.

For the weaker brethren.

For myself, but a crumb of bread a day, a sip of water, and a grain of salt.

for someone with coco as an avatar your ironemeter is way off.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #337 on: March 05, 2011, 12:50:36 AM »

For the weaker brethren.

Maybe you can run a contest to see who can fast with the least food?   The winner gets to join the Pharisee's

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #338 on: March 05, 2011, 12:53:07 AM »

ortho, was that a subtle reference to St Anthony? I got the joke, but just curious.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2011, 12:56:18 AM »

For the weaker brethren.

Maybe you can run a contest to see who can fast with the least food?   The winner gets to join the Pharisee's

Scoring doesn't go by what you eat, but by what you can catch everyone else eating and not get caught eating.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #340 on: March 05, 2011, 12:57:27 AM »

For the weaker brethren.

Really, I am not sure how I will not whither away to about 135 without about 3500 calories a day.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #341 on: March 05, 2011, 12:59:01 AM »

For the weaker brethren.

Scoring doesn't go by what you eat, but by what you can catch everyone else eating and not get caught eating.

I've already purchased a girdle to make clear my spiritual superiority. I am think about having a few of those pesky lower ribs removed. Maybe I'll get a wife or two in exchange.

Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #342 on: March 05, 2011, 01:00:59 AM »

For the weaker brethren.

I've already purchased a girdle to make clear my spiritual superiority. I am think about having a few of those pesky lower ribs removed. Maybe I'll get a wife or two in exchange.

Good point. You have to at least "look" like you're starving yourself.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #343 on: March 05, 2011, 10:04:55 AM »

Perhaps we should call a time out for Forgiveness Sunday  Smiley

Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #344 on: March 05, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »

Perhaps we should call a time out for Forgiveness Sunday  Smiley

Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face;

18That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.

I have to wash as well?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »

Colon cleansing health benefits debunked

Colon cleansing can supposedly help you lose weight, eliminate toxins and enhance well-being. But a review of scientific research shows that claims of health benefits from such procedures may be a steaming pile of nonsense.

Ranit Mishori at Georgetown University in Washington DC and colleagues reviewed 20 studies on colon cleansing published in medical literature over the past decade. The reports showed little evidence of benefit but plenty of negative side effects, including vomiting, electrolyte imbalance and kidney failure...

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »

Colon cleansing can supposedly help you lose weight, eliminate toxins and enhance well-being. But a review of scientific research shows that claims of health benefits from such procedures may be a steaming pile of nonsense.

Ranit Mishori at Georgetown University in Washington DC and colleagues reviewed 20 studies on colon cleansing published in medical literature over the past decade. The reports showed little evidence of benefit but plenty of negative side effects, including vomiting, electrolyte imbalance and kidney failure...

I cudda told you is was a load of      years ago.

Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »

I was a meat eater, many years ago. Not red meat as much (though I did eat it)...mostly fried chicken, chicken parm, fish and chips, things like that. And my weight ballooned up to over 300 lbs.

Once I made the decision (not for health reasons, necessarily, but for other reasons) to become a vegetarian, and began exercising too, I dropped 130 lbs. This was over 10 years ago, and mostly all of it has stayed away except for about 15 lbs, which didn't go on until I hit menopause (I continue to work out 5 days per week, and use my bike for transportation too.) I don't miss meat at all; in fact I never cared for it. I ate it mostly because meat dishes were easier to get, esp. when traveling, and vegetarian, esp. vegan food was very hard to find years ago.

Unfortunately I've developed a knee injury due to overuse (too much exercise), but I feel the best I have in many years, not only since losing the weight, but because I "eat clean" now (my term for it). I suffer from IBS-D, which is a GI ailment made much worse by high fat foods, including red meat. I have not had even one attack since becoming vegan, a fact I find very interesting (before, when I was a meat eater and a fried food eater, it was not uncommon to get an attack every other day which drained me emotionally and physically). It took me a while to figure out that FAT was what was triggering it. I avoid eating too much fat, and the IBS-D attacks stay away. The meds I used to take for it all expired. Smiley

Anyway, that's my experience with food (needless to say, being vegan makes it very easy to fast in Orthodoxy!)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:47:26 PM by Xenia1918 » Logged

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2011, 05:09:49 PM »

Well....Sometimes it's just nice to get a fresh start.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2011, 08:27:45 PM »

Really? I find it surprising that there is the possibility of kidney failure if you cleanse your colon? Doctors advise enemas before certain surgery, so I guess they would delay the surgery if your kidney failed after a colon cleansing.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #350 on: August 03, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »

Once I made the decision (not for health reasons, necessarily, but for other reasons) to become a vegetarian, and began exercising too, I dropped 130 lbs. This was over 10 years ago, and mostly all of it has stayed away except for about 15 lbs, which didn't go on until I hit menopause (I continue to work out 5 days per week, and use my bike for transportation too.)

Good on you Smiley

celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #351 on: August 03, 2011, 11:28:50 PM »

I eat: Steak, salad, more steak, more salad, even more steak, fruit, still more steak, cheese, fish, crawfish, and yet more steak.

I have to eat all that protein to keep my muscles fed for the sports.

Forgive my sins.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #352 on: September 18, 2011, 09:10:39 PM »

Read this;

http://www.westonaprice.org/vitamins-and-minerals/sulfur-deficiency

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #353 on: September 18, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »

Sulfur deficiency may be linked to depression.  It's also well known that more sunlight helps with depression too because it increases vitamin D which has links to other deficiencies and helps prevent depression.

People who live in parts of the World where there is high sulfur content in the soil have much lower rates of both depression and obesity and have longer lifespans.

In addition many things we use contain high levels of Aluminum which gets into the brain and accelerates depression and memory loss. Aluminum can be found in high doses in Antiperspirants ( not Anti-deodorants which are different). They are also found in high levels in many vaccinations including your annual flu shot.

Here is a you tube by the same researcher who wrote the article above, Dr Stephanie Seneff. It's a bit long and gets too wonky in parts but if you have some patience she unwonks after awhile and the info. is very interesting.  

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/17/stephanie-seneff-on-sulfur.aspx?e_cid=20110917_DNL_art_1

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:04:19 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #354 on: September 18, 2011, 10:06:27 PM »

I need to get my nutrition back on track... I've been stuck at about 204 lbs. for a couple months now...

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #355 on: September 18, 2011, 10:08:36 PM »

I need to get my nutrition back on track... I've been stuck at about 204 lbs. for a couple months now...

Are there certain foods that you crave that keep the weight on?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #356 on: September 18, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »

Sulfur deficiency may be linked to depression.  It's also well known that more sunlight helps with depression too because it increases vitamin D which has links to other deficiencies and helps prevent depression.

People who live in parts of the World where there is high sulfur content in the soil have much lower rates of both depression and obesity and have longer lifespans.

In addition many things we use contain high levels of Aluminum which gets into the brain and accelerates depression and memory loss. Aluminum can be found in high doses in Antiperspirants ( not Anti-deodorants which are different). They are also found in high levels in many vaccinations including your annual flu shot.

Here is a you tube by the same researcher who wrote the article above, Dr Stephanie Seneff. It's a bit long and gets too wonky in parts but if you have some patience she unwonks after awhile and the info. is very interesting.  

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/09/17/stephanie-seneff-on-sulfur.aspx?e_cid=20110917_DNL_art_1

Somehow, the thought of wearing an anti-deodorant scares me. I don't want to wear anything that actually works to make me stink. Tongue
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #357 on: September 18, 2011, 10:20:56 PM »

Not sure, I think my food choices currently have more to do with budget than craving specific foods. I switched to diet soda, partly because of my diabetes and just wanting less carbs/sugar, but I've heard that just because it's diet that doesn't mean it's good for weight loss. That's about the only product that I'm hooked on. I've tried alternatives to soda but can't stick with any. Otherwise, I do eat quite a bit of processed and crap foods, somewhat because of convenience and somewhat because of budget issues. I don't eat 18¢ Ramen noodles and 88¢ Banquet TV dinners constantly, but let's just say that they're not uncommon either. I've read lots of books on this and that idea about food/nutrition, and even taken nutrition and cooking classes... now if only I could put some of the stuff into practice  Grin

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #358 on: September 18, 2011, 10:41:58 PM »

Somehow, the thought of wearing an anti-deodorant scares me. I don't want to wear anything that actually works to make me stink. Tongue

I cant catch a break Smiley

IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #359 on: September 18, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »

Not sure, I think my food choices currently have more to do with budget than craving specific foods. I switched to diet soda, partly because of my diabetes and just wanting less carbs/sugar, but I've heard that just because it's diet that doesn't mean it's good for weight loss. That's about the only product that I'm hooked on. I've tried alternatives to soda but can't stick with any. Otherwise, I do eat quite a bit of processed and crap foods, somewhat because of convenience and somewhat because of budget issues. I don't eat 18¢ Ramen noodles and 88¢ Banquet TV dinners constantly, but let's just say that they're not uncommon either. I've read lots of books on this and that idea about food/nutrition, and even taken nutrition and cooking classes... now if only I could put some of the stuff into practice  Grin
You're studying at a local college, right? Do you have access to their dining hall or some sort of meal plan? I used to have the junky food in my room and I would get a take out box with salad, vegetables, and fruit to supplement that.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: