OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 08:30:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 59981 times) Average Rating: 0
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #225 on: March 22, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »

I've found that a whole-grain muffin and a cup of tea have helped me recently.  Unfortunately, my body appears to build up a temporary immunity to sleep remedies.  One will work for a week or two, and then I have to switch it up.  Tongue

oh and one more thing... Move all electronics away from where you lay your head. Alarm clocks, radio, cell phone etc.

Not a techie, eh?  I find the "silent hum" of electronics to be incredibly soothing.  The smell of running electronics too.   Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »

Brothers and sisters, please pray for me. Over the last six months I have pretty much quit smoking cigarettes except on rare social occasions. As a result of this, however, I have gained a considerable amount of weight very slowly, and I am only now realizing that I have really let myself get out of hand. I am totally addicted to soda pop and fatty foods, as well as deserts, and if I do not change very soon, my weight will be beyond the point of being manageable.

Please pray for me, that God would grant me the discipline to begin to live healthily, and that I would truly begin to enjoy fruits and vegetables. I have damaged my ability to enjoy the taste of such foods by being so unhealthy all of these years. I really need a miracle of sorts. This is for my family, so that I can be around for many years to support them and to be there for my child.

Also, please petition St. Euphrosynos the Cook for his powerful prayers in this matter.

St. Euphrosynos, save me by your prayers!

Getting proper nutrition may not involve giving up what you think you have to.

Please step back and take some time to read this book:

A Life Unburdened: Getting Over Weight and Getting ON With My Life
~ Richard Morris (Author)

You can get it on Amazon.com

Also take a look at www.thepaleodiet.com 

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2010, 10:01:48 PM »

Well, does this book provide any sort of dietary guidelines?
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »

Has anyone here read Michael Pollan's Food Rules yet? I read Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food last year. I am looking forward to Food Rules, which supposedly has 64 little rules to help you stay away from "edible food-like substances" etc. Generally, I like Pollan's philosophy of "eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Is the paleodiet the same thing as the cave-man diet thing I saw on the Daily Show?

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #229 on: April 12, 2010, 10:55:28 PM »

Do you have a "game-plan" for how to get healthy?

No game plan, and I really need one.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »

Has anyone here read Michael Pollan's Food Rules yet? I read Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food last year. I am looking forward to Food Rules, which supposedly has 64 little rules to help you stay away from "edible food-like substances" etc. Generally, I like Pollan's philosophy of "eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Is the paleodiet the same thing as the cave-man diet thing I saw on the Daily Show?

Yes, all of these including "An Unburdened Life" are interrelated. They are part of a trend to return to what some people think is a Traditional or Natural Human Diet. It goes against the Low-Fat or vegetarian way of eating.

Very basically, the idea is that diets free of processed food and sugar and high in protein ( Meat and  fish) is what we are genetically programmed for. Wheat, Soy..Pasta breads etc etc, ..are not well suited for humans, though they have had many advantages in terms of feeding hungry populations. We should eat more like Hunter Gatherers or at least like Traditional Peoples ( non-western diets)

So, about 70% meat ( YEA !!) and your carbs come from vegetables and fruit and nuts 30%. It's important to eat GRASS FED meat as much as possible as the nutritional value is far different than grain fed animals from a  factory.

There are a few side issues like the amount of fat vs lean and the role of Dairy. If you would like to get into those, post on our Nutrition and Diet thread.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 11:10:22 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2010, 08:53:52 PM »

Yes, all of these including "An Unburdened Life" are interrelated. They are part of a trend to return to what some people think is a Traditional or Natural Human Diet. It goes against the Low-Fat or vegetarian way of eating.

Very basically, the idea is that diets free of processed food and sugar and high in protein ( Meat and  fish) is what we are genetically programmed for. Wheat, Soy..Pasta breads etc etc, ..are not well suited for humans, though they have had many advantages in terms of feeding hungry populations. We should eat more like Hunter Gatherers or at least like Traditional Peoples ( non-western diets)

So, about 70% meat ( YEA !!) and your carbs come from vegetables and fruit and nuts 30%. It's important to eat GRASS FED meat as much as possible as the nutritional value is far different than grain fed animals from a  factory.

There are a few side issues like the amount of fat vs lean and the role of Dairy. If you would like to get into those, post on our Nutrition and Diet thread.

Eating a 70% meat diet seems horribly irresponsible on a financial level; in terms of ecological impact; and, based on the little I know of the patristic teaching on this subject, on a spiritual level.

So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:37 PM »

Alveus, I have been thinking of you. I wish I had some good advice to offer you, but I don't think I do. I am a person of great determination and discipline if it is for some sad reason urgently required, so all I can say is "discipline yourself!". I have entirely weaned myself off of all animal products and sugars (for health reasons). It's not my choice; I love meat and sugars...but I must avoid them, so I do. For sweetener in tea, I use only stevia. It's a natural product from the healthfood store, and I only put in a tiny, tiny amount into my tea, so as to save money. Discipline yourself not to drink those horrid, sugary drinks. Only drink water and allow yourself a sweet drink for a treat maybe once a week, etc. Don't let yourself eat too many desserts-mostly just fresh fruits. I wish you success and good health!

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2010, 12:22:49 PM »

So, about 70% meat ( YEA !!) and your carbs come from vegetables and fruit and nuts 30%. It's important to eat GRASS FED meat as much as possible as the nutritional value is far different than grain fed animals from a factory.

Eating a 70% meat diet seems horribly irresponsible on a financial level; in terms of ecological impact; and, based on the little I know of the patristic teaching on this subject, on a spiritual level.

Yes, at first glance that was what I assumed too. However, there is more to this than you may think.

For example, eating an unnatural diet ( Lots of grains, low fat, high carb, low quality grain fed meat, full of sweetners like corn syrup, etc.) may be causing all of the the so called Modern Ailments. Obesity, Cancer, Diabetes, Dental problems.. on and on. A sick population sucks up tremendous resources. Right? What if our meat came from animals allowed to pasture, not from factories? The land would be naturally fertilized.

How much does corn destroy the ecosystem? How much fertilizer is needed? How many birds and insects and rodents are killed off?

Here is part of an article by Sally Fallon. Click on link to read the whole thing.

"It takes 15 pounds of feed to get one pound of meat. But if the grain were given directly to people, there’d be enough food to feed the entire planet. In addition, using land for animal agriculture is inefficient in terms of maximizing food production. According to the journal Soil and Water, one acre of land could produce 50,000 pounds of tomatoes, 40,000 pounds of potatoes, 30,000 pounds of carrots or just 250 pounds of beef."

No land anywhere in the world will produce 50,000 pounds of tomatoes, 40,000 pounds of potatoes or 30,000 pounds of carrots per acre year after year after year unless bolstered with fertilizer. Such land rotated with animal grazing will be fertilized naturally; without the manure and urine of animals, synthetics must be applied—synthetics that require large amounts of energy to produce and leave problematic pollutants, such as fluoride compounds, as a by-product. And much of the world’s land—mountainous, hillside, arid and marginal areas—is incapable of producing harvestable crops even with a large fertilizer input. But this land will support animal life very well. Eliminating the animals on this land in order to produce vegetable crops will indeed create famine for the people who live there.

http://www.westonaprice.org/Twenty-Two-Reasons-Not-to-Go-Vegetarian.html

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »

So, about 70% meat ( YEA !!) and your carbs come from vegetables and fruit and nuts 30%. It's important to eat GRASS FED meat as much as possible as the nutritional value is far different than grain fed animals from a factory.

Yes, at first glance that was what I assumed too. However, there is more to this than you may think.

For example, eating an unnatural diet ( Lots of grains, low fat, high carb, low quality grain fed meat, full of sweetners like corn syrup, etc.) may be causing all of the the so called Modern Ailments. Obesity, Cancer, Diabetes, Dental problems.. on and on. A sick population sucks up tremendous resources. Right? What if our meat came from animals allowed to pasture, not from factories? The land would be naturally fertilized.

How much does corn destroy the ecosystem? How much fertilizer is needed? How many birds and insects and rodents are killed off?

Here is part of an article by Sally Fallon. Click on link to read the whole thing.

"It takes 15 pounds of feed to get one pound of meat. But if the grain were given directly to people, there’d be enough food to feed the entire planet. In addition, using land for animal agriculture is inefficient in terms of maximizing food production. According to the journal Soil and Water, one acre of land could produce 50,000 pounds of tomatoes, 40,000 pounds of potatoes, 30,000 pounds of carrots or just 250 pounds of beef."

No land anywhere in the world will produce 50,000 pounds of tomatoes, 40,000 pounds of potatoes or 30,000 pounds of carrots per acre year after year after year unless bolstered with fertilizer. Such land rotated with animal grazing will be fertilized naturally; without the manure and urine of animals, synthetics must be applied—synthetics that require large amounts of energy to produce and leave problematic pollutants, such as fluoride compounds, as a by-product. And much of the world’s land—mountainous, hillside, arid and marginal areas—is incapable of producing harvestable crops even with a large fertilizer input. But this land will support animal life very well. Eliminating the animals on this land in order to produce vegetable crops will indeed create famine for the people who live there.

All well and good, but I still find the jump to 70% problematic. With techniques such as management intensive grazing, animal husbandry can definitely be part of a healthy ecosystem, even repairing damage caused by destructive modern agriculture, etc. I wasn't saying rotating land with animal grazing was bad, but you're still rotating animals with vegetables: you're going to have to eat a lot of vegetables. You can't feed everyone in this world 70% meat.

I'm not arguing for "eating an unnatural diet ( Lots of grains, low fat, high carb, low quality grain fed meat, full of sweetners like corn syrup, etc.)." But the "traditional" diets of the world are actually rather diverse. Some have a lot of meat. Some, almost none.

What if our meat came from animals allowed to pasture, not from factories?

Is there enough acreage in America to naturally graze enough animals to provide 300 million Americans (or however many of us there are now) with a 70% meat diet?

Also, Adam and Eve didn't eat meat. Monks don't eat meat. And we won't eat meat in the age to come. The Church Fathers routinely mention that excess meat inflames the passions and is therefore spiritually detrimental.

I am NOT a vegetarian, by the way.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2010, 10:59:13 PM »

All well and good, but I still find the jump to 70% problematic. With techniques such as management intensive grazing, animal husbandry can definitely be part of a healthy ecosystem, even repairing damage caused by destructive modern agriculture, etc. I wasn't saying rotating land with animal grazing was bad, but you're still rotating animals with vegetables: you're going to have to eat a lot of vegetables. You can't feed everyone in this world 70% meat.

I'm not arguing for "eating an unnatural diet ( Lots of grains, low fat, high carb, low quality grain fed meat, full of sweetners like corn syrup, etc.)." But the "traditional" diets of the world are actually rather diverse. Some have a lot of meat. Some, almost none.

What if our meat came from animals allowed to pasture, not from factories?

Is there enough acreage in America to naturally graze enough animals to provide 300 million Americans (or however many of us there are now) with a 70% meat diet?

Also, Adam and Eve didn't eat meat. Monks don't eat meat. And we won't eat meat in the age to come. The Church Fathers routinely mention that excess meat inflames the passions and is therefore spiritually detrimental.

I am NOT a vegetarian, by the way.

It depends on how you define Traditional Diet. If you mean a hunter gatherer type diet before the advent of agriculture, then it was made up of meat and fish, vegetables, nuts and such the like. If what you mean by Traditional are foods from modern ethnic groups, then yes they are very diverse.

The theory is that humans ate pretty much the same things for a couple of million years so we are genetically predisposed to eating that way. Agricultural products are only about 5,000 years old and we have not adapted so well to them. Yes, population has boomed but our health has declined markedly.

If it is true ( and I really don't know if it is or isn't) that the natural human diet won't allow for such a large population then of course that is something to ponder. However, if you were convinced that you would be far healthier, live longer and have a better quality of life, you still may want to eat that way.

A meat based diet satiates you faster and keeps insulin under control. Therefore, you eat less. In a way you restore you natural appetite , no longer buffeted by ups and downs , cravings and hunger you cant control. People tend to eat less. If affluent people ate 500  calories less each day, then there would be much more food to go around. And if they could avoid cancer and diabetes and such the like, the world would benefit.  

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:01:25 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2010, 11:07:27 PM »

Haven't been following this thread extremely closely, but I would caution against too much meat. Some people genetically can't take too much. I always loved meat and ate a great deal of it-only to develope colon cancer much to my terrible sorrow. Sadly, and too late, I know it contributed to the disease.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #237 on: April 15, 2010, 11:31:04 PM »

Haven't been following this thread extremely closely, but I would caution against too much meat. Some people genetically can't take too much. I always loved meat and ate a great deal of it-only to develope colon cancer much to my terrible sorrow. Sadly, and too late, I know it contributed to the disease.

It may be that eating lots of factory raised meat has all kinds of untoward effects. It is practically a different food than grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free meat. Grass fed animals are elcoli free and the nutritional value and fats are more like game meat, like what hunter gatherers ate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqQVll-MP3I
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 11:32:48 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #238 on: April 16, 2010, 12:58:39 AM »

It may be that eating lots of factory raised meat has all kinds of untoward effects. It is practically a different food than grass fed, hormone and antibiotic free meat. Grass fed animals are elcoli free and the nutritional value and fats are more like game meat, like what hunter gatherers ate.

Perhaps we should start a new thread?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #239 on: April 16, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »

Or post in the existing Diet and Nutrition thread. i would also like to continue the discussion in a different thread.

JLatimer
OC.net guru

« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2010, 03:26:02 PM »

Or post in the existing Diet and Nutrition thread. i would also like to continue the discussion in a different thread.

Okay.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #241 on: April 19, 2010, 06:08:52 AM »

I was using a flax seed supplement... until I found out that it can interfere with diabetes medication. Have to be careful with that stuff Cool

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #242 on: April 19, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »

I was using a flax seed supplement... until I found out that it can interfere with diabetes medication. Have to be careful with that stuff Cool

I also had trouble with flax seed. I think fish oil is still the best way to supplement Omega 3 fats in the diet.

Many people use it for heart health to reduce inflammation. I recently learned that aspirin and fish oil in combination may thin the blood too much for many people and you should use just one or the other for that purpose.

There is also codliver oil in combination with butter oil. It will not only give you Omega 3's but will also give you plenty of vitamin D and A. 

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #243 on: April 19, 2010, 05:03:36 PM »

I've found that a whole-grain muffin and a cup of tea have helped me recently.  Unfortunately, my body appears to build up a temporary immunity to sleep remedies.  One will work for a week or two, and then I have to switch it up.  Tongue

oh and one more thing... Move all electronics away from where you lay your head. Alarm clocks, radio, cell phone etc.

Not a techie, eh?  I find the "silent hum" of electronics to be incredibly soothing.  The smell of running electronics too.   Tongue
There is a Brookstone sleep sound machine, which I like and recommend:
http://www.brookstone.com/sl/product/24879-tranquil-moments-sleep-sound-therapy-system.html
http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Sound-Machine-Brookstone-Clinically/dp/B001BEXEAC

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »

I have stopped taking cholesterol lowering meds ( Satins) because I am convinced that high cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease ( inflammation is, for the most part).

I think the side effects of Statins are far worse than the benefits. The main benefit being that they have an anti-inflammitory effect as well as lowering cholesterol. But you can reduce inflammation with far safer methods than with statins ( fish oil, aspirin etc.).

I realize that is not a widespread opinion. HOWEVER, I just got out of a seminar with a large insurance company. They mentioned that they will no longer use high cholesterol as a way to exclude applicants from the best rate classes. They said that they looked at years and years of their claims and determined that there was absolutely no correlation between high (or low) cholesterol and mortality.

I felt a little vindicated. Smiley

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #245 on: May 01, 2010, 11:59:04 AM »

This is why statins are prescribed. Medical Societies have be hijacked by Big Pharma.

From New York Times:

Editorial
Cleaning Up Medical Advice

Published: April 30, 2010

Professional medical societies play an enormously influential role in determining how medicine is practiced, but their activities and financing are a mystery. Outsiders can’t tell how independent the societies are from the companies that supply much of their financing.

So it was welcome news that the umbrella organization for specialty groups has adopted a new code of conduct that seeks to limit industry’s ability to influence professional judgments. But it was disappointing that it does not make a clean break from industry money.

The new code was adopted by the Council of Medical Specialty Societies, representing more than 30 specialty groups, on April 17. More than a dozen members, including the American College of Cardiology and the American Academy of Pediatrics, have adopted it, but a majority have yet to respond.

The code’s main weakness is the lack of any effort to wean the societies from their dependence on money from the makers of drugs, biological medicines and medical devices. There have been complaints in recent years that some societies conduct educational programs that feel more like marketing sessions for products or issue practice guidelines that push their members to use treatments favored by their industrial benefactors.

Last year, a group of experts proposed that such societies should quickly restrict industry support to no more than 25 percent of their operating budgets and work toward a virtually complete ban on industry money. The new code does not make even a nod to a ban.

Instead, it tries to prevent the industry support from biasing a society’s professional activities and judgments. The code seems strong in decreeing that the top leaders of medical societies and the top editors of their journals have no direct financial relationships with companies during their time in office.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/opinion/01sat3.html?ref=todayspaper

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #246 on: May 06, 2010, 09:36:30 AM »

No more Bottled Water. New film called "Tapped". Here are a couple of trailers for it. Scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MCumz5lq4&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcnNXnllCmE&NR=1

PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »

No more Bottled Water. New film called "Tapped". Here are a couple of trailers for it. Scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72MCumz5lq4&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcnNXnllCmE&NR=1

Hey!  I just hit the send button on the email you sent me about this.  I won't bore everyone else with the details.

You may remember that D and I have been doing Atkins off and on for nearly 8 years.  Okay, its been mostly off lately, but I really do feel better when I'm on it.  Drs. tried to put me on Statins several years ago - I balked and, lo and behold,  became an Orthodox, started fasting and my cholesterol came down closer to normal levels.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 01:16:14 PM by PrincessMommy » Logged
Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #248 on: May 06, 2010, 06:28:16 PM »

CODEX ALIMENTARIUS!

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #249 on: May 24, 2010, 03:12:39 PM »

I started a cooking class for this semester, and one of the first things we did was chop/dice things. The teacher told us if we diced the onion correctly, that we shouldn't cry. I cried. A lot.  Cheesy  Why do I bring this up? I don't know. I just find it funny that I have more food preparation oriented classes than actual nutrition classes as a nutrition major. Seems a little upside down to me. But they're the ones that get to decide who gets the pretty diploma, so I just do what I'm told.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #250 on: May 24, 2010, 11:18:57 PM »

I started a cooking class for this semester, and one of the first things we did was chop/dice things. The teacher told us if we diced the onion correctly, that we shouldn't cry. I cried.
Did anyone in the class not cry?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #251 on: May 24, 2010, 11:22:31 PM »

I'm not sure, we all had seperate kitchens, so I couldn't really see what most of the other people were doing. I did have a lab partner, but while she was chopping I was doing a seperate task on the other side of the room, so I didn't see if she cried.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #252 on: May 24, 2010, 11:33:39 PM »

I'm not sure, we all had seperate kitchens, so I couldn't really see what most of the other people were doing. I did have a lab partner, but while she was chopping I was doing a seperate task on the other side of the room, so I didn't see if she cried.
I don't know. I think that regardless of how you chop an onion, it is inevitable that there will be some eye irritation for a while.
BTW, aren't onions and garlic in the same family? Garlic supposedly has enormous health benefits, such as treating colds and throat irritations, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cancer prevention, and others. I am not sure how much of this will pass over to onions. Are red onions better for you than white onions?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #253 on: May 24, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »

Lol, well I'll ask the teacher tomorrow how often she cries. Smiley  I'll also ask her about onions/garlic, but regarding the question about being in the same family, according to Wiki...

"The true number of Allium species is unknown, and estimates vary widely. Members of the genus include many economically important crops and garden vegetables such as onions (A. cepa), shallots (A. oschaninii), leeks (A. ampeloprasum), scallions (A. ascalonicum) and herbs such as garlic (A. sativum) and chives (A. schoenoprasum)."

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2010, 01:36:13 AM »

I have stopped taking cholesterol lowering meds ( Satins) because I am convinced that high cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease ( inflammation is, for the most part).
I think you may be on to something here.  It seems to me that the root cause of the atherosclerosis that causes coronary artery disease is injury to the artery, most often from the mechanical stress of the heart's constant pumping, and the inflammation that results from this injury.  What if we were to encourage the body to fix the damaged artery in a way that didn't require inflammation or the development of atherosclerotic plaques?
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #255 on: May 29, 2010, 02:25:24 PM »

Does anyone know if the Church fathers made an appeal towards a mostly vegetarian diet? That seems like it would be an interesting topic to discuss. I have heard that most monastics eat a diet that would be close to a vegan/vegetarian life style. Any thoughts?

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #256 on: September 24, 2010, 03:04:25 AM »

So I finally got around to reading 3 of the books by Michael Pollan over the summer... and I've now decided to not major in nutrition. Not that Pollan was the sole source of souring, but he started me down the path...  Cool

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #257 on: September 24, 2010, 03:24:07 AM »

Does anyone know if the Church fathers made an appeal towards a mostly vegetarian diet? That seems like it would be an interesting topic to discuss. I have heard that most monastics eat a diet that would be close to a vegan/vegetarian life style. Any thoughts?
I am interested in a mostly vegetarian diet, but I heard that there might be a problem with getting enough vitamin B.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #258 on: September 24, 2010, 04:04:20 AM »

I am interested in a mostly vegetarian diet, but I heard that there might be a problem with getting enough vitamin B.

It's not true. B12 is only a problem for vegans.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #259 on: September 24, 2010, 04:07:22 AM »

BTW, I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 10 years.

(However I will eat meat when I'm with someone else if I think they are going to put it to waste.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 04:08:19 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #260 on: September 24, 2010, 04:35:21 AM »

Dietary supplements to fill the gaps?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #261 on: September 24, 2010, 05:54:13 AM »

Dietary supplements to fill the gaps?

Dairy provides B12.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #262 on: September 24, 2010, 12:03:42 PM »

There is resistance to a Vegan diet based on what is believed to be the Natural Human Diet. If you look at how our species has eaten over the last two million years or so, in most places and at most times our diet was meat based. The theory goes that our genetic makeup favors the diets that Humans have been eating over this vast expanse of time.

Basically, the anthropological evidence is that 60% to 70% of our diet was animal based until about 10,000 years ago; Meat, Fish Fowl, Eggs, etc. the other 30% to 40%   fruits and vegetables. Plus the types of vegetables our ancestors could find were far more fibrous than most of what we can get now. All grains should be excluded except if they have been carefully fermented. Grains are too new of an addition to the Human Diet and we have not fully adapted to eating them. Same of course goes for sugar and highly refined foods

So the proper and most healthful diet is made up primarily of meat and animal products. However, there is an important factor to remember. Meat that is grain-fed is un-natural. Grass-fed meat and natural feeds for other animals keeps the right nutritional and fat balance in the finished product. It then mimics the wild animals hunted by our ancestors.

here are two good links: www.thepaleodiet.com and www.westonaprice.org  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:07:56 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #263 on: October 29, 2010, 05:07:24 AM »

FDA rejects highly-anticipated diet drug Qnexa

Federal health regulators have decided not to approve an experimental diet pill called Qnexa, which had been touted by many experts as the most promising weight-loss drug in more than a decade.

The drug's maker, Vivus Inc., said in a statement today that the Food and Drug Administration declined to approve the drug in its present form. The agency asked for more study results and additional information on its possible health risks, including major cardiovascular events and risks for women of childbearing potential...

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #264 on: February 08, 2011, 10:23:09 PM »

I recently had an argument with an atheist over my Christian beliefs and he said something on the lines like this, let’s say the consensus is that our species, homo-sapiens has been on the planet for at least 100,000 years. in order to be christian you have to believe that for 98,000 years, our species suffered and died, most of its children dying in childbirth, most other people having a life expectancy of about twenty five, dying of their teeth, famine, struggle, war, bitterness, suffering, misery. All of that for about 98,000 years, heaven watches it with complete indifference, and then 2000 years ago thinks that’s enough of that, it’s time to intervene. The best way to do this would be by condemning someone to a human sacrifice somewhere in the less literate parts of the middle east. Don’t let’s appear to the chinese where people can read and study evidence and have a civilization, let’s go to the desert and have another revelation. He said this was nonsense.

Not sure how to deal with this.

I will just take one part of this. You have painted an inaccurate picture of primitive man.

All the aliments of Modern Man like bad teeth which you mentioned plus things like diabetes, cancer and heart disease did not exist in primitive populations of our species of Human. People were far more robust because they ate a natural human diet. Only now with all the processed foods, grains and sugar in our diet have we suffered like you mentioned.

American Indians generally slept late each morning. The time it took to do chores and hunt food averaged about three hours per day. Doesn't sound too horrible to me.

And people did not die on average when they were 25. Life expectancy was not much less than today. Child birth and the first five years of life was a problem. If you lived past five you would live a long healthy life. Trauma could get you early due to no good medical care.

God was indeed very gracious to our forefathers. Don't think otherwise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCFZoqmKf5M
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 10:25:27 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #265 on: February 08, 2011, 10:52:44 PM »

All the aliments of Modern Man like bad teeth which you mentioned plus things like diabetes, cancer and heart disease did not exist in primitive populations of our species of Human. People were far more robust because they ate a natural human diet. Only now with all the processed foods, grains and sugar in our diet have we suffered like you mentioned.

The first recorded cases of both cancer and diabetes come from roughly 1500 BC in Egypt. These diseases have been around for a long time, although there's no question that our modern processed diet and environment in some ways contribute to the high rates of such diseases.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2011, 10:55:57 PM »

The first recorded cases of both cancer and diabetes come from roughly 1500 BC in Egypt. These diseases have been around for a long time, although there's no question that our modern processed diet and environment in some ways contribute to the high rates of such diseases.

I don't think he was making an absolute statement. Merely saying cancer wasn't the epidemic that it manifests itself as today in the industrialized world.

I'm going to need this.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »

These diseases were rare but started to show up when people switched to a more grain based diet. Hunter gatherer populations probably had no cancer or heart disease at all.  They are a wildfire today. Not many folks die of typhus anymore. Mostly they die from heart attacks, strokes, cancer and diabetes.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:02:36 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »

These diseases were rare but started to show up when people switched to a more grain based diet. Hunter gatherer populations probably had no cancer or heart disease at all.  They are a wildfire today. Not many folks die of typhus anymore. Mostly they die from heart attacks, strokes, cancer and diabetes.

You're probably right.

But things weren't always rosy for primitive man. Haven't you seen Quest For Firelaugh

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »

You're probably right.

But things weren't always rosy for primitive man. Haven't you seen Quest For Firelaugh

Back to the point, we live in a fallen world. There have been different struggles at different times. But to paint the thousands of years that Humans lived a pastoral hunter gatherer life as hellish and absent of God's grace is just wrong. People were healthier in most ways than we are today but had other dangers to worry about that we don't have to the same extent now. I just wanted to say that the premise of the thread is off base.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: