OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 08:45:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 60630 times) Average Rating: 0
ms.hoorah
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2010, 05:57:59 PM »

I use soy or rice milk, less fat and no cholesterol, two big reasons for me.

There are other options too, such as rice or almond milk; which might actually be healthier if one needed to be careful with soy.
Do you have to shop at a health food store to buy almond milk? I have never seen it for sale. Is it in the refrigerated section or is it in a can? Does it taste sour or does it taste like real milk? 

I have an awesome dessert recipe that uses coconut milk poured over the top of the cake.  Coconut milk is soooo tasty, but it has about 500 calories/cup. Shocked
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

Do you  have to shop at a health food store to buy almond milk? I have never seen it for sale. Is it in the refrigerated section or is it in a can? Does it taste sour or does it taste like real milk?

I can't remember if I've ever seen it at the grocery store, but it is usually available at most health food stores, in the approx 1 quart (?) boxes. It's very delicious; an Orthodox friend gave me this tip a few years ago.  I wonder if you shouldn't avoid it if you have allergies to nuts though?

I love coconut milk too. This same friend gave me a lenten banana pancake recipe-mash up a banana and add coconut milk and some flour-something like that anyhow.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 06:10:00 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2010, 12:46:23 AM »

I use soy or rice milk, less fat and no cholesterol, two big reasons for me.

There are other options too, such as rice or almond milk; which might actually be healthier if one needed to be careful with soy.

Soy is very estrogenic ( so if your boobs get tender...) as well as having several other problems.

http://www.westonaprice.org/Soy-Alert/

By several theories drinking coconut milk would be better than Soy Milk. It's fat content will satiet you far better if you are looking for something to replace Dairy during the Fast.

There is also Coconut Milk based Ice Cream, several brands.. it's awesome.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 12:49:32 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2010, 01:10:16 AM »

Well, no one wants you to drink something that is "pathogen infected".
Yes...there is someone on this forum hawking raw milk....and it is you.

Fresh Raw Milk has  mechanisms that actally kill pathogens, unlike the neutered Boiled Milk.

http://www.realmilk.com/documents/PathogensinRawMilk.pdf

"That fresh raw milk has the properties to kill pathogens is

no urban legend; it is proven science"
I just posted 17 or 18 scientific studies showing that people became severely ill from drinking raw milk.
Ted Beals, MS, MD, is retired from the University

of Michigan Medical School and Veterans Administration

Health Administration. A pathologist

with personal interest in dairy testing and safety

of milk, he has been presenting testimony on

dairy safety in North America for the last several

years. He and his wife Peggy Beals are members

of the Michigan Fresh Unprocessed Whole Milk

Workgroup

Although you and Dr. Beals may be Salmonella Sams (those immune to Salmonella and other pathogens found in raw milk and are now carriers capable of spreading it to others), that doesn’t mean that promoting raw milk is a responsible thing to do.  There are members on this forum receiving chemotherapy. There are members are this forum that are diabetic.   There are members on this forum that have recently undergone surgery.  There are elderly members on this forum.  There are members who have small children on this forum.  All of these members or their children could be sickened or killed by drinking unpasteurized milk.  Do your research outside of those charging you enormous fees for a gallon of raw milk. What are you paying for a gallon a pathogen-rich raw milk?  $15-$30/gallon   (Hmmm...no wonder the raw milk vendors are vigorously advertising.)

(Hmmm...no wonder the raw milk vendors are vigorously advertising.)

Wow ! Are you ever barking up the wrong tree! I buy my Milk from the Amish, the Zook family to be exact, along with the rest of my buying club. Maybe the Zooks are gouging us so they can buy new straw hats Smiley

As for the rest of your little diatribe, it is patently false, misleading and scare mongering. Foisting devitalized food upon "Little Children" is the real crime. Childhood obesity and diabetes and the early onset of Heart Disease can all be traced back to a Diet centered upon cheap refined food.

If those little children had plenty of fresh unprocessed Milk they would grow up more robust  and healthy. Maybe in your next post you can put pictures of little puppies  being poisoned. If simple logic and facts wont work, try vapid emotional appeals I guess.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:20:33 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2010, 03:10:54 AM »

Maybe in your next post you can put pictures of little puppies  being poisoned. If simple logic and facts wont work, try vapid emotional appeals I guess.

Great suggestion.  Do not feed puppies raw milk. If your puppy has unfortunately consumed raw milk, induce vomiting immediately.  

Here is an article describing food poisoning in dogs.  Notice that it says animal manure (which is found in raw milk) and unpasteurized milk can cause food poisoning in dogs.  Please reread my posts r/t teat cups falling into manure, cows rolling and wading in manure water, and the list of the 17 articles discussing individual cases of diseases and epidemics caused by unpasteurized milk.

“Food poisoning is common, as dogs are notorious scavengers and come into contact with carrion, decomposing foods, animal manure and other noxious substances (some of which are listed in DIGESTIVE SYSTEM: Common Causes of Diarrhea). Signs of poisoning begin with vomiting and pain in the abdomen; they are followed in severe cases by diarrhea (often bloody) in two to six hours. If the problem is complicated by bacterial infection, shock may develop.”
http://www.doctordog.com/dogbook/dogpoison.html

http://courses.washington.edu/envh311/Readings/Food_Diseases.pdf
---------------------------------------------

“How are the bacteria (Campylobacteriosis) spread?
The bacteria are spread by eating or drinking food or water that is contaminated by the feces of the infected or from contact with an infected pet.  Improperly cooked poultry, untreated water, and unpasteurized milk are the main sources of infection.”

"Most farm animals and meat sources can carry the organism."
http://health.utah.gov/epi/fact_sheets/campy.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:15:17 AM by ms.hoorah » Logged
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »

Maybe in your next post you can put pictures of little puppies  being poisoned. If simple logic and facts wont work, try vapid emotional appeals I guess.

Great suggestion.  Do not feed puppies raw milk. If your puppy has unfortunately consumed raw milk, induce vomiting immediately.  

Here is an article describing food poisoning in dogs.  Notice that it says animal manure (which is found in raw milk) and unpasteurized milk can cause food poisoning in dogs.  Please reread my posts r/t teat cups falling into manure, cows rolling and wading in manure water, and the list of the 17 articles discussing individual cases of diseases and epidemics caused by unpasteurized milk.

“Food poisoning is common, as dogs are notorious scavengers and come into contact with carrion, decomposing foods, animal manure and other noxious substances (some of which are listed in DIGESTIVE SYSTEM: Common Causes of Diarrhea). Signs of poisoning begin with vomiting and pain in the abdomen; they are followed in severe cases by diarrhea (often bloody) in two to six hours. If the problem is complicated by bacterial infection, shock may develop.”
http://www.doctordog.com/dogbook/dogpoison.html

http://courses.washington.edu/envh311/Readings/Food_Diseases.pdf
---------------------------------------------

“How are the bacteria (Campylobacteriosis) spread?
The bacteria are spread by eating or drinking food or water that is contaminated by the feces of the infected or from contact with an infected pet.  Improperly cooked poultry, untreated water, and unpasteurized milk are the main sources of infection.”

"Most farm animals and meat sources can carry the organism."
http://health.utah.gov/epi/fact_sheets/campy.html

Awww. Poor puppy, to be abused in death to further a charade.. Makes me weepy.

You clearly have not been reading along.

Let's review:

The Milk you are trying to convince people is safer than Unprocessed Milk is from Cows raised in Factory Farms and fed an unnatural diet of grain and sometimes meat ( ground up downer Cows) is very very dangerous. That is why it must be boiled. The manure is full of bacteria. The Cows are never let out of very small pens, they cant even turn around. They live knee deep in manure their entire life.

These Cows are constantly ill from infection mostly in their legs and more important they get mastitis ( infection of the teat). As they get sicker and sicker, they are pumped full of Antibiotics to keep them going a bit longer. As the Cows get increasingly resistant to Antibiotics, their mastitis lasts longer and is more severe.

We have gotten to the point that Factory Cows produce so much puss from their infected  teats that it discolors the Milk. Many Factory Farms now must ad an extra step in processing to try and remove all the infected Puss from the Milk... Yummy !

When the Antibiotics can't do the trick anymore and the Cow collapses for good. It is dragged out and put in the Chipper, ground up and then added back into the feed of the remaining Cows. These poor creatures don't live past two years at best. Normally, Pastured Cows will live fourteen or fifteen years.

This is the Milk Ms. Horrah thinks is fine to drink..

On the other hand, Cows that are allowed to eat a natural Diet of grass and hay  in a Pasture are not living knee deep in their own waste. More important is that manure from grass fed Cows is antiseptic. Not only is it free from harmful bacteria but it actually can kill harmful bacteria if you apply it to something for that purpose. In India, it is used for cooking and as bricks for houses. Once again Manure from Grass fed Cows is antiseptic , which means it is perfectly safe if some gets into contact with the Milk.

Grass fed Cows do not get the infections Factory Cows get at anything remotely the same rate. There is no problem with Puss in the Milk. The Milk that they produce is a wonder of nature. It is one of the most healthful foods you can eat, bar none. When left unprocessed, it is remarkably resistant to contamination. That is why the rate of illness caused by Raw Milk is so low. Milk from grass fed Cows is E-coli free. Even Cows that are confined and fed crap become 80% e-coli free  when they are allowed to Pasture for just 20% of the time, that is how cleansing and powerful a natural Diet is to Cows.

If Raw Milk were really dangerous, then people would be getting sick from it. Deli-meat causes more illness than Raw Milk. If you are not afraid to feed you child a baloney sandwich, then you should not be afraid to feed him Raw Milk.

The Amish would not Pasteurize their Milk if you put a gun to their heads, yet, they are one of the most robust  and healthy communities in the World. Where are the vast outbreaks if Ms. Horrahs fears are correct? So bottom line, Raw Milk does not in fact cause illness at a rate above any other food you regularly eat. So why all the hysteria?

As for our poor puppy, he is in far more danger from Pasteurized Milk than he is from Natural milk. Boiled Milk has had all of it's natural composition altered. When it goes bad, left out too long for example, it goes rancid. Real Milk does not do that, it simply goes sour. If Fido drinks Rancid Pasteurized Milk, its off to the Vet you go. If he gets into soured Natural Milk, he will have a nice healthy meal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qWFhDvURLg
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:12:51 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »

Ran across this posted on another site...

Food expenditures by families and individuals as a share of disposable personal income

Thoughts?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2010, 02:17:14 PM »

^^ Again, Marc, we're not interested in what you're selling. Please don't call us again.

On to more important issues. I often have trouble during the fasts of feeling like I've had enough to eat, which causes more snacking. Are there certain foods that help with satiation (and I swear, Marc, if you mention raw milk again, I will cyber-slap you), so that we're better able to eat less during the fast?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:17:31 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2010, 04:58:18 PM »

^^ Again, Marc, we're not interested in what you're selling. Please don't call us again.

On to more important issues. I often have trouble during the fasts of feeling like I've had enough to eat, which causes more snacking. Are there certain foods that help with satiation (and I swear, Marc, if you mention raw milk again, I will cyber-slap you), so that we're better able to eat less during the fast?

Are you aware that Milk is not a fasting food..? It sounds like you just want to be snarky. If so, please just go kick you dog or something and stop dumping on me if your bored.

Why must you continue to make this personal ?

Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »

When the wife and I were drinking raw milk (now moot thanks to my wife's recently discovered lactose intolerance), our dog would enjoy some raw milk every now and then and suffered no ill effects.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2010, 05:19:17 PM »

Try not eating or drinking anything sweet (even artificial sweeteners). I found out by accident that avoiding anything that tastes sweet helps with satiation. I often experiment with my diet (I'm weird that way) and a few years ago I decided not to eat or drink anything sweet just to see what it was like. I found that I had dramatically reduced my caloric intake simply because I didn't feel as hungry. When I asked a nutritionist about this, she explained that there is a kind of "Pavlov's Dog" reaction to the taste of sweet which causes an increase in insulin simply because our bodies associate sweet taste with simple sugars, and so the pancreas releases more insulin which makes us feel hungry.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2010, 07:49:31 PM »

I'm not trying to be cont.entious, but isn't it a part of the discipline that we not feel satiated?  Most every work I've read on fasting in an Orthodox context recommends eating to a point far before satiety, basically just enough so we don't cause physical infirmity due to reduced caloric intake.  Perhaps its the Roman Catholic in me who grew up with forms of bodily mortification (such as fasting in the literal sense) that almost looks forward to feeling hungry during Lent so I can better understand what it's like for people who are poor and simply cannot eat one meal a day, let alone three.  I know I can certainly feel for the person who asks me for a dollar outside the McDonald's across the street from my office so he can go get something to eat. 

Again, I'm not trying to be snarky, but being hungry goes hand-in-hand with fasting in my experience and how I've been taught to fast.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2010, 11:06:30 PM »

What works for me, may not work for you so I am not recommending anything, but just giving my humble observation that drinking a lot of water which has been enhanced by a small amount of baking soda (1/4 t or less per cup) helps with the hunger problem in my personal case. And this supposedly helps with the ph factor, which is controversial and I don't know if what I read about the beneficial effect of this  is  a scam or not.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2010, 11:21:14 PM »

I often have trouble during the fasts of feeling like I've had enough to eat, which causes more snacking. Are there certain foods that help with satiation

I've heard that certain foods make you feel fuller for longer than others. Perhaps beginning a meal with certain foods, or snacking on them, or having them in a seperate meal, could help. Some that I remember that would be ok for the fast are potatoes and beans. Perhaps other posters know of more...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:21:37 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

wynd
High Elder

Transfiguration

« Reply #194 on: February 17, 2010, 02:55:18 AM »

I've heard that certain foods make you feel fuller for longer than others. Perhaps beginning a meal with certain foods, or snacking on them, or having them in a seperate meal, could help. Some that I remember that would be ok for the fast are potatoes and beans. Perhaps other posters know of more...

Usually fatty foods are the ones that keep you sated longer. Keeping the Fast rules out any animal fat or olive oil, so I try to eat lots of avocados and nuts. I'd love other ideas though.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »

When the wife and I were drinking raw milk (now moot thanks to my wife's recently discovered lactose intolerance), our dog would enjoy some raw milk every now and then and suffered no ill effects.

There are several States in the U.S. where Unprocessed Milk is approved only for pet food.  You can go to places like Whole Foods Grocery and buy it there. However, people simply buy it for themselves, it just has a stamp on the carton that says for animal consumption only...

In California, there are no restrictions and you can just buy it like any other food. The advantage in California is that there is enough demand to support a Certified Dairy in the State ( "Alta Dena Dairy").

When pasteurization first started it was only meant as a temporary solution to the horrible conditions in Urban Dairies. Whisky makers discovered that they could feed the left over swill from wiskey making to Cows, so they began Dairies right in the Distilleries. The conditions were unsanitary to say the least
 ( read: "The Untold Story of Milk"). So two solutions arose side by side. One was the Certified Dairy Movement and the other promoted Pasteurization .

Certified Dairies are "certified" as clean. They are inspected daily and the Milk is tested continueally. If Milk comes from a Clean Dairy, it does not have to be boiled. Unfortunately, the Dairy Industry changed over the years and decided that they wanted to keep the cheapest possible conditions in the Dairy's and then just boiled the Milk. Certified Dairy's are of course more expensive to operate and so now there are only two left.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2010, 01:07:14 PM »

Try not eating or drinking anything sweet (even artificial sweeteners). I found out by accident that avoiding anything that tastes sweet helps with satiation. I often experiment with my diet (I'm weird that way) and a few years ago I decided not to eat or drink anything sweet just to see what it was like. I found that I had dramatically reduced my caloric intake simply because I didn't feel as hungry. When I asked a nutritionist about this, she explained that there is a kind of "Pavlov's Dog" reaction to the taste of sweet which causes an increase in insulin simply because our bodies associate sweet taste with simple sugars, and so the pancreas releases more insulin which makes us feel hungry.

Thanks for this post! I'm stealing your idea, lol. I have a descriptive essay due later today, which is supposed to involve the usage of the five senses, and preferrably be related to my major. This will do nicely.  angel

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »

Thanks for this post! I'm stealing your idea, lol. I have a descriptive essay due later today, which is supposed to involve the usage of the five senses, and preferrably be related to my major. This will do nicely.  angel
Very interesting. Thank you; I'll keep that advice in mind.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2010, 01:35:37 PM »

Are you aware that Milk is not a fasting food..?
Oh, it isn't? Well, then we should stop talking about it until after Pascha.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2010, 03:21:01 PM »

I think I am able to post whatever I like within the board rules. Please feel free to skip any of my posts if they are upsetting you..

Thanks

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2010, 04:30:32 PM »

I often have trouble during the fasts of feeling like I've had enough to eat, which causes more snacking. Are there certain foods that help with satiation

Popcorn, fiber cereals, oatmeal, nut and granola bars, melons
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #201 on: February 17, 2010, 04:54:42 PM »

I think I am able to post whatever I like within the board rules. Please feel free to skip any of my posts if they are upsetting you..

Thanks
And please feel free to follow your own advice.

Thanks
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2010, 12:57:02 AM »

Any favorite healthy desserts? Mine are rather simple, often just a piece of fruit. Sometimes I get some frozen raspberries and put half the bag out to thaw a few hours before I eat. Another thing that I'll eat is sugar-free Jello. The Jello was really helpful when the diabetes educator asked me to be on a certain diet and I only had a few carbs to work with for snacks (though I didn't stick with the diet in the end). A perhaps less healthy dessert for me would be a couple chocolate/vanilla pudding cups. And then there are cheat foods... but I asked about healthy desserts  angel

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2010, 01:56:43 AM »

^http://www.recipe-recipes.net/toppings/sugar-free-chocolate-syrup.htm
Sugar-free chocolate syrup to put on your fruit....yum.  My daughter likes to eat all of her fruit frozen.  She says it is like eating
hard ice cream.  Frozen blueberries are the best.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »

Anyone? I thought it was rather interesting, but wanted to get some other opinions before I was too confident in any conclusion(s), because I'm sure there are factors I'm not considering.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2010, 06:17:31 PM »

I did end up stealing your idea and did an essay for school on it, lol. But I did it on how pretty much any food, or smelling or seeing it for that matter, can have an effect on us. Interestingly, my nutrition teacher brought the same thing about the pancreas/insulin up on Monday. She also said that it was one reason that drinking sugary-tasting diet soda might not be as good for you as people assume, because it can have indirect consequences that we might not have considered.

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »

Any favorite healthy desserts? Mine are rather simple, often just a piece of fruit. Sometimes I get some frozen raspberries and put half the bag out to thaw a few hours before I eat. Another thing that I'll eat is sugar-free Jello. The Jello was really helpful when the diabetes educator asked me to be on a certain diet and I only had a few carbs to work with for snacks (though I didn't stick with the diet in the end). A perhaps less healthy dessert for me would be a couple chocolate/vanilla pudding cups. And then there are cheat foods... but I asked about healthy desserts  angel

I generally enjoy eating Oatmeal with some mixed berries added to it.  It fills you up fast, and has adequate amounts of protein and carbohydrate.

And before I get flamed from the health nuts, fructose isn't bad for you; only when consumed to excess and eaten with a typically high-fat American diet.

Regards.

ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2010, 06:47:49 PM »

Anyone? I thought it was rather interesting, but wanted to get some other opinions before I was too confident in any conclusion(s), because I'm sure there are factors I'm not considering.

My thoughts..... The cost of food has risen slower than the cost of inflation. AND Increased labor force participation has increased food expenditures out of the home because people are too tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiired (yawn) to prepare meals at home.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2010, 07:49:45 PM »

And before I get flamed from the health nuts, fructose isn't bad for you; only when consumed to excess and eaten with a typically high-fat American diet.
According to the following article, high fructose corn syrup has been shown to increase osteoporosis, tooth decay, anemia, osteoarthritis and more.
http://www.naturalnews.com/024466.html
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2010, 12:14:26 AM »

According to the following article, high fructose corn syrup has been shown to increase osteoporosis, tooth decay, anemia, osteoarthritis and more.
http://www.naturalnews.com/024466.html

Basic organic chemistry, friend.  High Fructose corn syrup is markedly different than natural fructose.

Think about it this way: is eating a raspberry the same as drinking a pop?
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2010, 03:31:27 AM »

Of course it is not the same. I was only referring to an article which outlined problems with high fructose corn syrup.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2010, 03:31:39 PM »

Of course it is not the same. I was only referring to an article which outlined problems with high fructose corn syrup.

One thing that is driving our hunger in an unusual way is that High Fructose Corn Syrup is in so many things we eat these days. Our diet is much sweeter than it was only a few short years ago. And compared to the food Orthodox ate many years ago before the advent of highly refined foods, tansfats and the demonetization of saturated fat, our food is much different. Even the nutritional value of things like tomatoes, which today are factory processed and gassed to look red before it is really ripe is not the same.

So it's important to eat as much "Whole Foods" as we can. The more white bread type things and foods containing High Fructose Corn Syrup that we eat, the hungrier we will be and in a way that is not usual for Orthodox Fasting in the past I would think.

Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #212 on: March 21, 2010, 01:11:57 PM »

Are you aware that Milk is not a fasting food..? It sounds like you just want to be snarky. If so, please just go kick you dog or something and stop dumping on me if your bored.

I SHALL KICK BOTH OF YOUR BUTTS!
Cheesy

-------

I recommend (as a future nutritionist!) that you stop drinking soda or other sugary drinks, after Pascha use REAL butter and NOT MARGARINE, after all margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic, and our bodies don't know how to digest it.
I seriously lost majority of my weight when I stopped drinking soda, and after I got out of my depression I stopped eating 8 bowls of ramen a day. That made all the difference hahaha

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #213 on: March 21, 2010, 05:00:39 PM »

I SHALL KICK BOTH OF YOUR BUTTS!
Cheesy

-------

I recommend (as a future nutritionist!) that you stop drinking soda or other sugary drinks, after Pascha use REAL butter and NOT MARGARINE, after all margarine is only one molecule away from being plastic, and our bodies don't know how to digest it.
I seriously lost majority of my weight when I stopped drinking soda, and after I got out of my depression I stopped eating 8 bowls of ramen a day. That made all the difference hahaha

Sounds smart to me.

As for Butter, I have been known to ask at restaurants if they are serving real butter or not. Usually it's a greasy margarine spread that is unspeakably bad for you. I have even brought a little container of real butter with me.

During the fast I have used a bit of margarine, but it scares me no end.

Butter is health food... Go figure !

xuxana
babygirl

Faith: Russian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

i♡ΙΧΘΥΣ!

« Reply #214 on: March 21, 2010, 07:48:47 PM »

a lady @ my parish has been vegan for 22 years said that if you follow a strict lenten diet all year long, you will lose over 40 pounds after 12 months. she swears by it.  i cant imagine not eating eggs and daily for a year tho. but that lady looks amazing and she's in her late 50's and is a size 4 dress at 5'8.

Ephesians 6:10-18
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2010, 08:10:59 PM »

"We're"?  You don't speak for me, muchacho.  Marc, I've actually learned quite a bit about raw milk from your posts.  I won't say that I believe all of it, but I don't believe half the stuff I read here.  Soooo, please feel free to continue to post at your leisure.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #216 on: March 21, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »

"We're"?  You don't speak for me, muchacho.  Marc, I've actually learned quite a bit about raw milk from your posts.  I won't say that I believe all of it, but I don't believe half the stuff I read here.  Soooo, please feel free to continue to post at your leisure.  Smiley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJMqUKblVgA&NR=1&feature=fvwp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1hnwvWhbJw&feature=related

Thanks

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #217 on: March 22, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »

Does anyone know if there is a good way to alter one's diet in order to facilitate better sleep?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #218 on: March 22, 2010, 03:20:40 PM »

Does anyone know if there is a good way to alter one's diet in order to facilitate better sleep?
Cut out all caffeine and drink warm milk before retiring?
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #219 on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:57 PM »

I actually  am one of those people that caffine has the opposite effect on. But the warm milk sounds like a plan.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #220 on: March 22, 2010, 06:49:58 PM »

The only thing I could think of was the tryptophan in turkey making you drowsy thing, but I think that's a myth. I'll try to think of something other than what's already been said, though, because I'm sure those type of tips/ideas could come in handy for many people.

Lauren_Elisse
Elder

Faith: Antiochian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: United States

« Reply #221 on: March 22, 2010, 07:32:59 PM »

I actually  am one of those people that caffine has the opposite effect on. But the warm milk sounds like a plan.
No caffiene past noon Cheesy
And try to avoid light in your room, because it makes your body think that it is still day time.
I noticed that I started sleeping better when I began drinking more water.

Psalms 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #222 on: March 22, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »

I actually  am one of those people that caffine has the opposite effect on. But the warm milk sounds like a plan.
And try to avoid light in your room, because it makes your body think that it is still day time.

I was going to say the same thing about light in your room. Keep it as dark as possible. Even a night light can hurt your sleep if you are having trouble.

I would also take fish oil every day. It is anti-inflamitory and will take care of anything flaring up in you system that you may not even be aware of. It will also increase your serotonin levels ( feel good chemical).

l  
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 09:32:47 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #223 on: March 22, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »

I actually  am one of those people that caffine has the opposite effect on. But the warm milk sounds like a plan.

I was going to say the same thing about light in your room. Keep it as dark as possible. Even a night light can hurt your sleep if you are having trouble.

I would also take fish oil every day. It is anti-inflamitory and will take care of anything flaring up in you system that you may not even be aware of. It will also increase your serotonin levels ( feel good chemical).

l  

I've heard nothing but good about fish oil ('cept it doesn't taste too good.  Tongue)... You might also take the TV out of your room, if you have one there.  I also use a sleep mask.  Looks funny, but it sure helps keep ALL light out.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #224 on: March 22, 2010, 11:25:44 PM »

l  

I've heard nothing but good about fish oil ('cept it doesn't taste too good.  Tongue)... You might also take the TV out of your room, if you have one there.  I also use a sleep mask.  Looks funny, but it sure helps keep ALL light out.

oh and one more thing... Move all electronics away from where you lay your head. Alarm clocks, radio, cell phone etc.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: