OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 08:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 58523 times) Average Rating: 0
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1350 on: September 20, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »

I really wish all Popeye's were consistent with food quality.

I'm telling you their commercials look so mouth watery and when you get the food it tastes nothing like what's on TV.

Except there have been a few timed when its extremely good.

Shouldn't happen. Chains are supposed to have things regularized, so that it should taste the same from day to day, or from state to state for that matter.

But then Popeye always was a hard one to understand.
Chains do regularize, but the people and managment make or break the place.  Doesn't matter what restaurant.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1351 on: September 20, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

I guess Marc never read my post.

But yeah his diet worked pretty well. Now I'm rail thin, instead of just being skinny

What post?
I think it was a thread. I'll have to get it later.

I lost 15 lbs so far.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1352 on: September 20, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

Actually pizzerias on top of each other

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1353 on: September 20, 2013, 02:28:29 PM »

But yeah his diet worked pretty well. Now I'm rail thin, instead of just being skinny

What post?

I lost 15 lbs so far.

Being too thin is not a great idea, either.  If you get sick, especially with a wasting disease, you will vanish far more quickly than a chubby hobbit.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #1354 on: September 20, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »

Actually pizzerias on top of each other

Wow!!  Got pics?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1355 on: September 20, 2013, 02:30:13 PM »

A methamphetamine diet works to get that sexy anorexic ballerina look that so many people admire.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1356 on: September 20, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »

A methamphetamine diet works to get that sexy anorexic ballerina look that so many people admire.

Is that paleo-meth or neo-meth?

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1357 on: September 20, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »

Next stop, the tutu!

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1358 on: September 20, 2013, 03:12:19 PM »

Next stop, the tutu!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1359 on: September 20, 2013, 03:48:43 PM »

Next stop, the tutu!

Despite rooting for the wrong church and spouting nonsense from time to time, he looks quite svelte.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1360 on: September 20, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »

Next stop, the tutu!

Despite rooting for the wrong church and spouting nonsense from time to time, he looks quite svelte.

Well, he's not a hobbit, you know  Roll Eyes.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1361 on: September 20, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »

I'm sure he uses appropriately sized doors.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1362 on: September 20, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »

I'm sure he uses appropriately sized doors.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1363 on: September 20, 2013, 04:46:39 PM »

What post?

I lost 15 lbs so far.

Being too thin is not a great idea, either.  If you get sick, especially with a wasting disease, you will vanish far more quickly than a chubby hobbit.
Well I am naturally thin. Howvmever my consumption of carbs ballooned my gut weight and facial weight, it was just unhealthy. I was sort of skinny fat.

Marcs diet was really fast weight reduction but I have integrated other things in my diet that it lacks now.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #1364 on: September 20, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »

What post?

I lost 15 lbs so far.

Try eating.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1365 on: September 20, 2013, 09:25:30 PM »

What post?

I lost 15 lbs so far.

Well I am naturally thin. Howvmever my consumption of carbs ballooned my gut weight and facial weight, it was just unhealthy. I was sort of skinny fat.

Marcs diet was really fast weight reduction but I have integrated other things in my diet that it lacks now.

You lost water. Period.

That's it. Maybe a little fat and lean tissue. Probably more of the latter than the former.

Been doing this longer than marc been yammering about it and know people who've been doing it for longer than he has been alive.

The amount of water weight you carry on a carb heavy diet can seem staggering to those who have never cut for real before.

marc is arguably the worst advocate I've have ever heard for eating this way "permanently" ever. Then again, most places where I discussed this with other, the folks had knowledge and experience about physical change. They weren't concerned about the vanities of a "wheat belly".

marc you ever squatted 2.5 times your body weight? Then went out and ran an easy sub 18 minute 5k and wrestled a few men into the dirt before having your first cigarette of the day?

Then we'll talk about how paleo you are then. Till then, keep at the make believe.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1366 on: September 20, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »

What post?

I lost 15 lbs so far.

Try eating.

He wants to be the smaller and more popular version of you. The grassfed beef is always greener . . .
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:27:04 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1367 on: September 21, 2013, 05:51:53 AM »

What post?

I lost 15 lbs so far.

Try eating.
I don't eat on the weekends.

My lunch consists now of just a sandwich, apple sauce or a fruit cup and chips.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1368 on: September 21, 2013, 05:51:53 AM »

ortho, this guy is your hero:

He eats almost nothing but Big Macs, except on Sundays, when his wife cooks and he sits down to a family dinner.

Interestingly enough, Rosenlof actually eats 700 calories fewer than the average American man on a typical day, and doesn't have high cholesterol.

He's a man of habits; on Monday he eats one Big Mac, two on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, two on Thursday, one or two on Friday and two on Saturday. That's about 10 Big Macs every week.

Dennis Rosenlof, 64-Year-Old Man, Has Eaten 12,000 Big Macs
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/dennis-rosenlof_n_3942184.html

He's actually healthy and no issues.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1369 on: September 21, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »

ortho, this guy is your hero:

He eats almost nothing but Big Macs, except on Sundays, when his wife cooks and he sits down to a family dinner.

Interestingly enough, Rosenlof actually eats 700 calories fewer than the average American man on a typical day, and doesn't have high cholesterol.

He's a man of habits; on Monday he eats one Big Mac, two on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, two on Thursday, one or two on Friday and two on Saturday. That's about 10 Big Macs every week.

Dennis Rosenlof, 64-Year-Old Man, Has Eaten 12,000 Big Macs
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/dennis-rosenlof_n_3942184.html

He's actually healthy and no issues.
He also never eats any of the fries or the other products.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1370 on: September 21, 2013, 11:44:45 AM »

What post?

I lost 15 lbs so far.

Try eating.

Are you trying to eat like a first grader to get to the size of one?

What adult eats a "fruit cup'?

Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1371 on: September 21, 2013, 02:12:06 PM »

Most all diets begin with loss of water weight. However on a Low Carb High Fat Diet you can easily tell when you are past that point. You can test for the presence of Ketones in your system with a simple keto stick that you can by at any pharmacy that you urinate on. It turns dark if ketones are present.

The theory is this. You either have a metabolism that burns sugar ( glucose) for energy or you have a fat burning metabolism that burns the fat you eat and the fat you have stored for energy. A fat burning metabolism is more natural and far healthier.

Eating too many cheap carbs and sugary foods which is usual in the Standard American Diet ( S.A.D.) you have a sugar burning metabolism. if you cut the carbs way down you eventually switch to fat burning, using the ketones produced as your primary source of fuel.. Your body will like burning ketones and nearly every function will improve. 

Here is a terrific lecture by Nora Gedgaudas

— The 'Holy Grail' of Primal Health: Benefits of a Fat-Based Caloric Intake for Body and Brain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qamxC3fV870

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1372 on: September 21, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »

Lol this adult.

It's cheap and tastes good. I like the left over juice.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1373 on: September 21, 2013, 02:25:18 PM »

Ah, high fat diets. Telling people what they want to hear. And resulting in thousands of heart attacks every year. Because as all the reputable doctors say, get really fat!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1374 on: September 21, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »

Ah, high fat diets. Telling people what they want to hear. And resulting in thousands of heart attacks every year. Because as all the reputable doctors say, get really fat!

Considering Atkins died of a heart attack himself, I'm amazed anyone still follows his model.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1375 on: September 21, 2013, 04:05:26 PM »

Considering Atkins died of a heart attack himself, I'm amazed anyone still follows his model.
A low fiber diet has its own problems.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1376 on: September 21, 2013, 04:18:02 PM »

Actually it was because of an infection which had nothing to do with his diet.

Ask his cardiologist. He had a healthy cardiovascular system even in his 70s.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1377 on: September 21, 2013, 04:30:49 PM »

A low fiber diet has its own problems.

Low/no-carb diets tend to be low fibre as well.

If we were to go really primitive, we would eat anything that didn't run away faster than we could follow. Including plants. They may not have had bread in the Stone Age, but I bet there was no rationing of fruits, when they were available. We are omnivores by nature. Our teeth prove it.

William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1378 on: September 21, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

What post?

I lost 15 lbs so far.

Try eating.

Dang bro. How much do you weigh? 120?

I try and eat something with a chicken breast every lunch and dinner and add other stuff that looks high in protein (beans, pizzas, chilis, hamburgers, etc.). I'm still at 145ish though because I'm not dedicated enough to it.

I should take advantage of the fact that I know a Papa John's guy who gives me anything I want for free, but I just hate their food.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1379 on: September 21, 2013, 04:53:24 PM »

I'm hovering around 144-ish? Maybe less now I haven't weighed since I went to the doc for my ear.

Chicken breast sounds pretty good, I like cooking it in olive oil and salt the hell out of it.

We pretty much weigh the same then, unless of course you are taller than me which you would have a 85% of being.

I don't go to Papa John's because the owner is an ******* to his own employees and the healthcare thing really magnified it.

But I do love their garlic dipping sauce for the pizza.

But since I'm in Pittsburgh, I got every pizza you could ever want.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1380 on: September 21, 2013, 05:29:28 PM »

That's what his cardiologist said, but are the diagnoses by cardiologists always correct?
William
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1381 on: September 21, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »

I'm hovering around 144-ish? Maybe less now I haven't weighed since I went to the doc for my ear.

Chicken breast sounds pretty good, I like cooking it in olive oil and salt the hell out of it.

We pretty much weigh the same then, unless of course you are taller than me which you would have a 85% of being.

I don't go to Papa John's because the owner is an ******* to his own employees and the healthcare thing really magnified it.

John Schnatter has done more for my community than you will ever do for anyone's.

It's a shame his pizza just tastes so bad.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1382 on: September 21, 2013, 06:05:01 PM »

That's what his cardiologist said, but are the diagnoses by cardiologists always correct?

It doesn't matter.

I'm not saying everyone should get on the Atkins diet. I'm just saying that Atkins dying the most fit and healthy 120 year old wouldn't prove his ideas right, and him dying from 27 problems that can be linked to diet wouldn't disprove his ideas.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:05:53 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1383 on: September 21, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »

It doesn't matter.

I'm not saying everyone should get on the Atkins diet. I'm just saying that Atkins dying the most fit and healthy 120 year old wouldn't prove his ideas right, and him dying from 27 problems that can be linked to diet wouldn't disprove his ideas.
I don't see it. If heart disease can be linked to a high fat low fiber diet, then why doesn't it matter?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #1384 on: September 21, 2013, 07:19:58 PM »

I don't see it. If heart disease can be linked to a high fat low fiber diet, then why doesn't it matter?

What demonstrates this link? Certainly not what happens to a single individual. Bring out a study that tracks thousands or hundreds of thousands of people --
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:45:56 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1385 on: September 21, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »

What demonstrates this link? Certainly not what happens to a single individual. Bring out a study that tracks thousands or hundreds of thousands of people --
What are the diseases associated with a low fiber diet?
http://www.sharecare.com/health/nutrition-diet/diseases-associated-low-fiber-diet
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1386 on: September 22, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »

John Schnatter has done more for my community than you will ever do for anyone's.

What has he done?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #1387 on: September 22, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »

Dude you can say that about anything.

But what information did the cardiologist not have where he/she made the wrong diagnosis?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Marc1152
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1388 on: September 22, 2013, 05:11:09 PM »

Actually the biggest and longest running randomized studies like the Framingham Heart Study found no link what so ever between dietary fat and heart disease. The lead researcher said fear of fat is a "persistent myth"..

The Science that first indicated fat caused heart disease was never very solid. Today we have study after study that overturns this false idea.

For example, the study that got the whole thing started was the "Six Nation  Study" done by the Famous Bio-Chemnist Ansel Keys ( K Rations in WW 2 were named after him..)=

His study showed a direct correlation between high fat consumption in Six Countries and increased heart disease. The graph was almost straight up. The more people that ate a high fat diet, the higher the rate of heat disease.. This study was really central to what is called the "Heart Lipid Theory" of heart disease..

Just one little problem.... He faked the results. Dr. Keys didnt have data on just six countires, he studied 22 countries, and guess what. In some places the population ate lots of fat and had high heart disease but in other places they also ate lots of fat but had low rates of heart disease. In other countries people ate low fat diets but still had high rates of heart disease and in other place the reverse. LOL

So Keys simply threw out the data that didnt fit his agenda and only published the data from the six countries that did..

Recently researchers revisited the same countries and the data reconfirmed that there is absolutely no data correlating high fat consumption and heart disease..of any kind.

Funny stuff

Here is a cute video about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1389 on: September 22, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »

What has he done?

If you emptied the average American's trash can into the middle of my street, you will have done a lot for my community.

Thanks.

Papa John's is the worst. Almost as bad as Scotland.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1390 on: September 22, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »

But what information did the cardiologist not have where he/she made the wrong diagnosis?

No, you cannot say that about anything. Take for example, the Pythagorean theorem. Once the theorem has been diagnosed as proven, it is always correct. It is never false in Euclidean geometry.
In this particular case, the cardiologist said his death was due to an infection. But I thought that cardiologists were experts in diagnosing heart problems, not infections. I heard that there have  been cases when doctors gave incorrect diagnoses when working outside of their field of expertise.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1391 on: September 22, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »

No, you cannot say that about anything. Take for example, the Pythagorean theorem. Once the theorem has been diagnosed as proven, it is always correct. It is never false in Euclidean geometry.
In this particular case, the cardiologist said his death was due to an infection. But I thought that cardiologists were experts in diagnosing heart problems, not infections. I heard that there have  been cases when doctors gave incorrect diagnoses when working outside of their field of expertise.

This post shows you don't understand much about either geometry, cardiovascular disease, or American.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1392 on: September 22, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »

Actually the biggest and longest running randomized studies like the Framingham Heart Study found no link what so ever between dietary fat and heart disease. The lead researcher said fear of fat is a "persistent myth"..

The Science that first indicated fat caused heart disease was never very solid. Today we have study after study that overturns this false idea.

For example, the study that got the whole thing started was the "Six Nation  Study" done by the Famous Bio-Chemnist Ansel Keys ( K Rations in WW 2 were named after him..)=

His study showed a direct correlation between high fat consumption in Six Countries and increased heart disease. The graph was almost straight up. The more people that ate a high fat diet, the higher the rate of heat disease.. This study was really central to what is called the "Heart Lipid Theory" of heart disease..

Just one little problem.... He faked the results. Dr. Keys didnt have data on just six countires, he studied 22 countries, and guess what. In some places the population ate lots of fat and had high heart disease but in other places they also ate lots of fat but had low rates of heart disease. In other countries people ate low fat diets but still had high rates of heart disease and in other place the reverse. LOL

So Keys simply threw out the data that didnt fit his agenda and only published the data from the six countries that did..

Recently researchers revisited the same countries and the data reconfirmed that there is absolutely no data correlating high fat consumption and heart disease..of any kind.

Funny stuff

Here is a cute video about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8WA5wcaHp4
Here is an abstract from a recent journal article on fats and heart disease:
J Intern Med. 2012 Jul;272(1):13-24. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2796.2012.02553.x.

Dietary fats and coronary heart disease.

Willett WC.

Source

Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA. walter.willett@channing.harvard.edu

Abstract

The relation of dietary fat to risk of coronary heart disease (CHD) has been studied extensively using many approaches, including controlled feeding studies with surrogate end-points such as plasma lipids, limited randomized trials and large cohort studies. All lines of evidence indicate that specific dietary fatty acids play important roles in the cause and the prevention of CHD, but total fat as a percent of energy is unimportant. Trans fatty acids from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils have clear adverse effects and should be eliminated. Modest reductions in CHD rates by further decreases in saturated fat are possible if saturated fat is replaced by a combination of poly- and mono-unsaturated fat, and the benefits of polyunsaturated fat appear strongest. However, little or no benefit is likely if saturated fat is replaced by carbohydrate, but this will in part depend on the form of carbohydrate. Because both N-6 and N-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids are essential and reduce risk of heart disease, the ratio of N-6 to N-3 is not useful and can be misleading. In practice, reducing red meat and dairy products in a food supply and increasing intakes of nuts, fish, soy products and nonhydrogenated vegetable oils will improve the mix of fatty acids and have a markedly beneficial effect on rates of CHD.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1393 on: September 22, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »

This post shows you don't understand much about either geometry, cardiovascular disease, or American.
It may be true that you have a whole lot better understanding of these things than I do. However, it is also true that many American doctors have given diagnoses that later on prove to be deficient in one way or another. 
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #1394 on: September 22, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

It may be true that you have a whole lot better understanding of these things than I do. However, it is also true that many American doctors have given diagnoses that later on prove to be deficient in one way or another. 

Once I took a drink of coffee and spat it out cause it was orange juice. But just for a second, it was in fact coffee.

Draw your own conclusions.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: