OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 09:01:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nutrition and Diet  (Read 60303 times) Average Rating: 0
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #1305 on: August 30, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »

I thought they prayed to Jah? Grin While incensing the meat with primo ganja...

One cannot be too careful.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1306 on: August 30, 2013, 12:46:49 PM »

Yeah, better to just join in with the "censing."  Grin

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #1307 on: August 30, 2013, 01:23:46 PM »

Anyone here ever actually, in full awareness, eaten dog meat?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1308 on: August 30, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »

I haven't, but I have my suspicions.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1309 on: August 30, 2013, 01:35:42 PM »

Yeah, I know what you mean!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1310 on: August 30, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

Although, if I was presented with it, I probably would.  In some places, dogs are like any livestock.  As long as I knew it wasn't some person's pet, then I think I'd be ok with it.  Weirded out, but ok.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1311 on: August 30, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »

Although, if I was presented with it, I probably would.  In some places, dogs are like any livestock.  As long as I knew it wasn't some person's pet, then I think I'd be ok with it.  Weirded out, but ok.

I'm sure if it was accompanied by some Northwestern Mongolian earwax, any reservations would rapidly melt away.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1312 on: August 30, 2013, 02:13:51 PM »

I'm sure if it was accompanied by some Northwestern Mongolian earwax, any reservations would rapidly melt away.

Oh, please describe the flavor of this ear wax.  Any noticeable bouquet?  Color, clarity?  These details must be known before I put my order in to my broker.

Also from the Mongolian cuisine wikipedia page, which delighted me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_cuisine

Horse meat is eaten in Mongolia and can be found in most grocery stores.

and
Vodka is the most popular alcoholic beverage; Chinggis vodka (named for Genghis Khan) is the most popular brand, making up 30% of the distilled spirits market.

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1313 on: August 30, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »

Vodka is the most popular alcoholic beverage; Chinggis vodka (named for Genghis Khan) is the most popular brand, making up 30% of the distilled spirits market.

Airag should be more fun.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:20:43 PM by Romaios » Logged
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1314 on: August 30, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »

Oh, please describe the flavor of this ear wax.  Any noticeable bouquet?  Color, clarity?  These details must be known before I put my order in to my broker.
I've only heard the vaguest reports about it, as, apparently it is quite rare and difficult to obtain--not to mention expensive.  These same vague reports claim though that it is well worth the effort (and danger) involved.  Words such as whiskey-like, and spice, and pungent, and intoxicating have been floated about concerning it.  Please, if your broker is able to obtain some, P.M. me!

Also from the Mongolian cuisine wikipedia page, which delighted me:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_cuisine

Horse meat is eaten in Mongolia and can be found in most grocery stores.

and

LOL!  Excellent!!  I'll have to call my travel agent immediately!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1315 on: August 30, 2013, 02:26:46 PM »

Romaios, you are a veritable and impressive fount of knowledge and important information.  Thank you for this.  God bless you!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1316 on: August 30, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »

But only up to 2% alcohol.  Where's the fun in that?  Although, I wouldn't mind trying that. Ayran took getting used to, but it's delicious.  Acquiring tastes for different things take time, although my battle has been olives.  Try and try again does not work.  I hate them.

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1317 on: August 30, 2013, 02:31:17 PM »

But only up to 2% alcohol.  Where's the fun in that?  

Mare's milk! Caballine nectar...  Wink
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1318 on: August 30, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »

laugh

I'm going to try to use that phrase in my next important conversation. laugh

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1319 on: August 30, 2013, 02:38:49 PM »

laugh

I know...why not start an important thread about it?? Grin

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1320 on: August 30, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »

laugh

I know...why not start an important thread about it?? Grin

Done. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,53433.0.html

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1321 on: September 19, 2013, 08:53:01 PM »

Isn't the paleo diet pagan? I mean, it says that mankind is not supposed to eat bread, which obviously contradicts some extremely fundamental aspects of the Christian faith. I mean obviously you can follow the diet and still be a Christian but the philosophy that would make the diet effective directly contradicts Christianity. It's kind of like evolution in that regard. Maybe practically useful but theoretically it would not be compatible with Christianity.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #1322 on: September 20, 2013, 02:04:50 AM »

The stretch is yours with Satanists invoking curses on the food you eat. Why is it not possible for a Satanist somewhere on earth to invoke Satan and curse all the grass fed meat in the world. Should we worry about it? How would it affect the grass fed beef in any way?

Or maybe Aliens from the planet Alderone ..Could happen.

I gave an extreme example to illustrate the dilemma..You took things even further not to clarify but to confound. You would rather detour the conversation to the nature of the example than deal with the actual question.

Here is the question once again. If someone from a Pagan or Muslim religion "Blessed" your food, would you be comfortable still eating it?

I think that is a judgement call. You seem not to be concerned. Thanks for your vote.

If some amorphous ill defined evil person put a general curse on all the foods I prefer to eat ( like grass fed beef) I probably would not care.

If I went to a Halal butcher who blessed the very food I was about to eat, I would care and pay some attention to the situation. My Priest has mentioned in passing not to eat Halal meat, so I am pretty sure there is a divided opinion among Orthodox concerning food "Blessed" by Muslims. I would expect that food offered on a Hindu Altar, like what the Hare Krishna's serve, would be strictly off limits.

That's my vote
I haven't seen any evidence of aliens, but I understand that there were thousands of witches burned at the stake in Europe, and that there has been established a "church" of Satan in San Francisco.
Anyway, as far as eating meat blessed by a non-Christian, there was an article recently in the news, according to which Jewish rabbis hold a chicken over a sinner's head and swing it around and above his head so that the sins of the sinner will go to the chicken, who then has his throat slit by the rabbi. Now it was also reported that these dead chickens with slit throats are donated to a food mission for poor people, who then eat them. But is it OK to eat a chicken upon which has been transferred a whole lot of ugly sins? If the ugly sins of the repentant sinners are now in the dead chicken, will they come into your body if you eat them?
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1323 on: September 20, 2013, 07:02:15 AM »

Isn't the paleo diet pagan? I mean, it says that mankind is not supposed to eat bread, which obviously contradicts some extremely fundamental aspects of the Christian faith. I mean obviously you can follow the diet and still be a Christian but the philosophy that would make the diet effective directly contradicts Christianity. It's kind of like evolution in that regard. Maybe practically useful but theoretically it would not be compatible with Christianity.

No, the paleo diet isn't pagan.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1324 on: September 20, 2013, 07:08:06 AM »

Anyway, as far as eating meat blessed by a non-Christian, there was an article recently in the news, according to which Jewish rabbis hold a chicken over a sinner's head and swing it around and above his head so that the sins of the sinner will go to the chicken, who then has his throat slit by the rabbi. Now it was also reported that these dead chickens with slit throats are donated to a food mission for poor people, who then eat them. But is it OK to eat a chicken upon which has been transferred a whole lot of ugly sins? If the ugly sins of the repentant sinners are now in the dead chicken, will they come into your body if you eat them?

That's just one expression of scapegoatism. Many tribal cultures have something similar or other, and it's just superstition in all its forms.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1325 on: September 20, 2013, 07:14:05 AM »

I haven't seen any evidence of aliens, but I understand that there were thousands of witches burned at the stake in Europe, and that there has been established a "church" of Satan in San Francisco.
Link to article about rabbis, please.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1326 on: September 20, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »

Link to article about rabbis, please.
http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-jewish-chicken-ritual-20130912,0,7269968.story
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1327 on: September 20, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »

At first, I thought this was a one-off thing.  But now that I think about it, I believe that all the chickens that are killed with Jewish sins scapegoated(scapechickened?) onto them are simply sent to Popeye's.  Believe my, my brethren, Popeye's chicken is sinful.....ly delicious.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1328 on: September 20, 2013, 09:15:14 AM »

I first discovered Popeye's on a late night road trip from Chicago to St Louis maybe three years ago.  It was fried chicken θεωρία.  Wonderful! 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1329 on: September 20, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »

Late night encounters with Popeye's chicken is always a mystical experience.  Daytime, still good, but not the same.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 09:19:53 AM by hecma925 » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1330 on: September 20, 2013, 09:45:21 AM »

Late night encounters with Popeye's chicken is always a mystical experience.  Daytime, still good, but not the same.

Sinful........ly delicious encounters that are cloaked in the shroud of nighttime darkness are always perceived as being far more mystical than the same activity done in the light of the sun's rays.  That's just the way it is  Cool.

stanley123
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1331 on: September 20, 2013, 11:24:42 AM »

At first, I thought this was a one-off thing.  But now that I think about it, I believe that all the chickens that are killed with Jewish sins scapegoated(scapechickened?) onto them are simply sent to Popeye's.  Believe my, my brethren, Popeye's chicken is sinful.....ly delicious.
But if you eat and digest all those sins and they are now in your body, then what?
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1332 on: September 20, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »

But if you eat and digest all those sins and they are now in your body, then what?

There are no nutrients in sins. Do we really have to spell out the mechanics of the final stage of digestion?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1333 on: September 20, 2013, 11:45:53 AM »

At first, I thought this was a one-off thing.  But now that I think about it, I believe that all the chickens that are killed with Jewish sins scapegoated(scapechickened?) onto them are simply sent to Popeye's.  Believe my, my brethren, Popeye's chicken is sinful.....ly delicious.

There are no nutrients in sins. Do we really have to spell out the mechanics of the final stage of digestion?

Precisely what I was going to say.  Thank you!

But, chicken on the other hand....
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:46:28 AM by J Michael » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1334 on: September 20, 2013, 11:49:12 AM »

At first, I thought this was a one-off thing.  But now that I think about it, I believe that all the chickens that are killed with Jewish sins scapegoated(scapechickened?) onto them are simply sent to Popeye's.  Believe my, my brethren, Popeye's chicken is sinful.....ly delicious.

Unfortunately, 'no nutrients' is not a synonym for 'no calories'... Cheesy

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1335 on: September 20, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

Sins have no calories.  Deep-fried chicken, unfortunately, does.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:53:11 AM by hecma925 » Logged

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #1336 on: September 20, 2013, 11:57:49 AM »

The modern wheat plant is not the same as what was used to make bread in biblical times. We have hybridized it a thousand times to withstand wind and cold and to be short stalked and yield more and be resistant to diseases and bugs.

We have made the a naturally addictive properties of wheat even more powerful and it's ability to spike hunger, all genetically modified by humans... The bread we eat today is a far cry from ancient times.

Traditional people usually ferment grains to get the bad stuff out. If you want to eat bread, sourdough is the best option and if you can get an Ancient form of the grain ( still can be had online) even better.

Google on: Wheat Belly

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1337 on: September 20, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »

The modern wheat plant is not the same as what was used to make bread in biblical times. We have hybridized it a thousand times to withstand wind and cold and to be short stalked and yield more and be resistant to diseases and bugs.

We have made the a naturally addictive properties of wheat even more powerful and it's ability to spike hunger, all genetically modified by humans... The bread we eat today is a far cry from ancient times.

Traditional people usually ferment grains to get the bad stuff out. If you want to eat bread, sourdough is the best option and if you can get an Ancient form of the grain ( still can be had online) even better.

Google on: Wheat Belly
An even better option would be a sprouted grain bread.  Sourdough is good though. 

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1338 on: September 20, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »

Calories can be your friends.  Without enough of them, you die.  Simple.  Too many of them, well....how many is too many?

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1339 on: September 20, 2013, 12:28:10 PM »

Calories can be your friends.  Without enough of them, you die.  Simple.  Too many of them, well....how many is too many?

The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom... for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough.

In this case, I'd say having to negotiate doorways sideways is definitely a 'more than enough' sign.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1340 on: September 20, 2013, 12:38:39 PM »

The road to excess leads to the palace of wisdom... for we never know what is enough until we know what is more than enough.

In this case, I'd say having to negotiate doorways sideways is definitely a 'more than enough' sign.

Wisdom, let us Attend!  Let us hear of the divine providence of our beloved matriarch!

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #1341 on: September 20, 2013, 01:21:39 PM »

Wisdom, let us Attend!  Let us hear of the divine providence of our beloved matriarch!

Not so fast, my friend!!  Taking nothing away from the otherwise wonderful wisdom of our beloved matriarch, one must always take into consideration the width of the doorway and for whom it was designed.  Those designed for Hobbits are not necessarily the same as those designed for Dwarves or Orcs, much less Elves, and those of us humans who live under rocks.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1342 on: September 20, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »

True, but let's not try to extrapolate so much from a single phrase like our friends, the solascriptists.  If a Hobbit, living in a hobbit home, with Hobbit doors can't get through it, then he has had more than enough.  An Orc does not live in a Hobbit home, nor does a Hobbit live in an Orc home.  It would be like me travelling to your rock and finding I can't fit, because I'm too fat.  But, lo, I go to my own home and I merely have to grease my sides with Crisco and I enter a room easily enough.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1343 on: September 20, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »

I guess Marc never read my post.

But yeah his diet worked pretty well. Now I'm rail thin, instead of just being skinny

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1344 on: September 20, 2013, 01:40:32 PM »

I first discovered Popeye's on a late night road trip from Chicago to St Louis maybe three years ago.  It was fried chicken θεωρία.  Wonderful! 
I really wish all Popeye's were consistent with food quality.

I'm telling you their commercials look so mouth watery and when you get the food it tastes nothing like what's on TV.

Except there have been a few timed when its extremely good.

I don't really have one near me.

I live in an area where there are multiple pizza shops next to each other on one block.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1345 on: September 20, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »

Then you are blessed.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #1346 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »

But yeah his diet worked pretty well. Now I'm rail thin, instead of just being skinny

So many postings.  What kind of diet?  Also, I agree with you on Popeye's.  That's why when you find a good location, you tattoo the address to your hand.  That way, in the event of Memento-style amnesia, you can start off each adventurous day with a box of Popeye's and biscuits.  And honey.  Gotta have the honey for the biscuits.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 01:57:59 PM by hecma925 » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1347 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:49 PM »

I'm telling you their commercials look so mouth watery and when you get the food it tastes nothing like what's on TV.

Except there have been a few timed when its extremely good.

Shouldn't happen. Chains are supposed to have things regularized, so that it should taste the same from day to day, or from state to state for that matter.

But then Popeye always was a hard one to understand.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1348 on: September 20, 2013, 02:05:18 PM »

What post?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1349 on: September 20, 2013, 02:07:42 PM »

Yeah, but most fast food places are like this, sadly.  

I don't really have one near me.

I live in an area where there are multiple pizza shops next to each other on one block.

I feel for you, I don't have one near me either.  There's just one KFC.  There are more pizzerias and Chinese places.  But also a good variety of other types of food.  

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: