OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 30, 2015, 10:29:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stinney Was Innocent  (Read 198 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: Fate

« on: December 18, 2014, 02:17:11 AM »

Exonerated After Execution: Judge Tosses Teen's Murder Conviction

Seventy years after South Carolina executed a 14-year-old boy so small he sat on a phone book in the electric chair, a circuit court judge threw out his murder conviction.

On Wednesday morning, Judge Carmen Mullins vacated the decision against George Stinney Jr., a black teen who was convicted of beating two young white girls to death in the small town of Alcolu in 1944...
Mor Ephrem
The Fourteenth Apostle
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"The grace of God has appeared..."

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:10:23 AM »

Justice delayed is justice too late...

"...you could not bear, Master, in the compassion of your mercy to watch the human race being tyrannised by the devil, but you came and saved us. We acknowledge your grace, we proclaim your mercy, we do not conceal your benevolence..."
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox - It's Ethnically Delicious
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America Outside America

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »

Justice delayed is justice too late...

Sadly true.

Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »

As a native South Carolinian, I have known about the Stinney case for years and it always saddened me greatly that my home state had the infamous record of executing the youngest person in United States history, and on top of that, the young man was innocent.  It was just a horrible thing and such an utter travesty of justice.  The more I have researched it, the more depressing it gets.  Not only was Stinney coerced into confessing to a crime he didn't committ, lots of people even then did not believe he did it.  Even the Pope at the time beseeched the governor of South Carolina to grant clemency and not execute this boy, but it was all to no avail.  Even though this decision is 70 years too late, at least Stinney's name has been cleared.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:07:50 PM by Tikhon29605 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: