Author Topic: Stinney Was Innocent  (Read 242 times)

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
Stinney Was Innocent
« on: December 18, 2014, 02:17:11 AM »
Exonerated After Execution: Judge Tosses Teen's Murder Conviction

Seventy years after South Carolina executed a 14-year-old boy so small he sat on a phone book in the electric chair, a circuit court judge threw out his murder conviction.

On Wednesday morning, Judge Carmen Mullins vacated the decision against George Stinney Jr., a black teen who was convicted of beating two young white girls to death in the small town of Alcolu in 1944...
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re: Stinney Was Innocent
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 03:10:23 AM »
Justice delayed is justice too late...
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Justice delayed is justice too late...

Sadly true.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Tikhon29605

• High Elder
  • May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 09:06:34 PM »
As a native South Carolinian, I have known about the Stinney case for years and it always saddened me greatly that my home state had the infamous record of executing the youngest person in United States history, and on top of that, the young man was innocent.  It was just a horrible thing and such an utter travesty of justice.  The more I have researched it, the more depressing it gets.  Not only was Stinney coerced into confessing to a crime he didn't committ, lots of people even then did not believe he did it.  Even the Pope at the time beseeched the governor of South Carolina to grant clemency and not execute this boy, but it was all to no avail.  Even though this decision is 70 years too late, at least Stinney's name has been cleared.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:07:50 PM by Tikhon29605 »