Author Topic: Two year college, tips?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
Two year college, tips?
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:15:07 AM »
After much soul searching I've made the decision not to enter into the monastic life. That's a post for another time.

I am interested in going to college for I can get a good paying job. One that I would enjoy going to everyday. I am interested in Radiologic Technology (x-rays).

I didn't do all that well in high school but I did graduate. I wasn't ever really good at math. I am worried I'll be a failure and be stuck with huge loans. The prerequisites scare me, the idea of College Algebra and Trigonometry makes me want to hide under my bed (even though I am 29 years old). But I know this is something I need to do if I want to live with a career instead of pay check to pay check.

Do any of you have any tips on surviving and thriving in college? How to study, how to spend my time. Basically how to pass?

I appreciate the advice. This is a new world for me. I've never been to college because I am terrified of the idea that I might not secede.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Άγιος κέιθ ο Υμνογράφος και Μελωδός, να μας σώσει!
    • Blog
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
Re: Two year college, tips?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
Study more than you think and never be afraid to ask teachers for help.  I bombed several classes in college for not doing either of those things.  Retaking classes is no fun.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Radical Revolutionary Nutbar
  • Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »
I'd rather be a monastic than have to survive in College...

Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (5/30/2015)

I am scaling back posting because the crack in my computer screen makes it harder and harder to type.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
College can be a great experience.  I would not want to be a monastic.  In comparison, college is very easy.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • 1951-2015 Memory Eternal Uncle Roy--40 Days of Mourning.
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »
Major in English and you can meet your math requirement with psychology, at least over here strangely. Just maintain a positive outlook and remember that if kids who get drunk all the time still manage to pass, certainly someone with more time and less alcohol impairment could pass as well.
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Offline Pravoslavac

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »
After much soul searching I've made the decision not to enter into the monastic life. That's a post for another time.

I am interested in going to college for I can get a good paying job. One that I would enjoy going to everyday. I am interested in Radiologic Technology (x-rays).

I didn't do all that well in high school but I did graduate. I wasn't ever really good at math. I am worried I'll be a failure and be stuck with huge loans. The prerequisites scare me, the idea of College Algebra and Trigonometry makes me want to hide under my bed (even though I am 29 years old). But I know this is something I need to do if I want to live with a career instead of pay check to pay check.

Do any of you have any tips on surviving and thriving in college? How to study, how to spend my time. Basically how to pass?

I appreciate the advice. This is a new world for me. I've never been to college because I am terrified of the idea that I might not secede.

If you are afraid of mathematics, don't study collage that has mathematics. We at Orthodox seminary have a saying, we don't know or need mathematics, because priests always keep the change.
You pushed away the severe storm!
You made us believe comrade Kim Jong Il!
We are unable to live without you
Our country is unable to survive without you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yne-IsHzne4

Offline nothing

• High Elder
  • College kids ain't ****
  • Jurisdiction: Jornada del Muerto
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »
Lol Peacemaker I read your post as if it was a letter I had written to myself nearly 10 years ago. We seem to have shared similar concerns and dealing with an insecurity on academic success. Worse for me is I am too hard on myself, very self-critical but also competitive. My goal is to perform better than than my peers, but knowing I was going to university and be around others that were much more smarter than I was gave me some lack of confidence.

Couple things, are you currently employed? If not, try staying like that. I found that working only weekends greatly benefited my academic success, although I didn't graduate. I had a lot more time to talk to professors, study and turn in papers I was proud of. Honestly college was a breath of fresh air for me because I wasn't so consumed with constantly writing for the honors and AP classes I had taken in high school (terrible mistake to take those classes anyway), then trying to juggle some extracurriculars.

I don't know how people can work a fulltime job (or more) and still be a fulltime student. That's more self-discipline than I will ever have, but I still think the quality of your studying (and education) takes a backseat IMO. I'm probably wrong on this point, but if you can go to school and not work I think that is the most advantageous.

The best way to feel more confident is to work really hard at getting good grades. When I started getting good marks with some of the papers I was turning in, I developed more confidence, felt good about myself, its encouraging.

Math is far from my strongsuit, and at my age I'd probably have to take a remedial math course. I think I'd be much more interested now in learning than I did when I was in public school.

Like I said, I found high school more challenging and rigorous than the courses I took in college. I'm not sure if that is due to the kind of classes I took (which were more specialized), maturity, my interest, the type of proffesors, or all of it. I didn't feel I needed to spend that much time studying, but I was fortunate enough to not squeeze in studying when I didn't feel like it (unlike those that juggle a full-time job, kids, etc.). I guess it is "easier" in some respects. Maybe you can get more involved with getting enmeshed with other students with clubs, or what have you. That's the only thing I regret is not being more involved with others, meeting new people, etc. I usually just went to classes then went back home, eventhough I was very happy at the time, I could have gotten more out of my time in college.

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:23:12 PM by nothing »
This is born alone die alone, so my dialogue's dastardly
Life's a tragedy generator operating at max capacity

“I’ve lived to bury my desires,
And see my dreams corrode with rust;
Now all that’s left are fruitless fires
That burn my empty heart to dust.”
― Alexander Pushkin

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »
Don't mix your alcohols.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »
I would second what nothing said. When I began college, I was terrified. Literally terrified, like staying up until 6:00AM at night insomnia as my first day approached closer, vomiting due to anxiety, etc. But when I began, it wasn't nearly as bad or difficult as I anticipated. I guarantee after your first week or two when it becomes a routine part of your life, you will feel a lot better and more confident. My number one tip, which is something that has helped me, is to be mindful of your mind. You'd be surprised at what a difference your attitude makes. Try to view studying not as a chore or burden, but as an integral part of your life--as fun, even. And remember that quality matters more than quantity, and sometimes pacing around the room for 5-10 minutes and fixing another cup of coffee can help you grasp the material more easily than if you just sat on a desk for hours at a time with no breaks. As nothing said, my only regret so far is similar to his: I don't socialize at all. I go to class then go home and study more than I need to just to be prepared. Fortunately there's still time for me to make a change and maybe socialize more, but for now this works for me.

Really, I don't know what your high school experience was like, but I did Independent Study for my last 2 years and am now discovering that contrary to the popular belief that homeschooling impairs your ability to achieve, the experience was actually more similar to what I am experiencing now in college than my experience in regular high school was. I learned how to manage my time independently and take responsibility, which is really what college is about. And in retrospect I am really thankful I had that experience, and would even encourage high school students to consider transferring to Independent Study for their last 1 or 2 years since it will really help prepare them for college like it did me.
Until I see the resurrection of the dead and the life of the world to come, I will not believe.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 08:12:03 PM »
I would second what nothing said. When I began college, I was terrified. Literally terrified, like staying up until 6:00AM at night insomnia as my first day approached closer...

Bro, 6am is the morning. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 08:16:24 PM »
I would second what nothing said. When I began college, I was terrified. Literally terrified, like staying up until 6:00AM at night insomnia as my first day approached closer...

Bro, 6am is the morning.

Exactly. I was hardly getting any sleep. Regardless, I prefer afternoon or night classes. I am not a morning person. And that brings me onto my next piece of advice:

Surprisingly the hardest thing about college for me starting out was available parking and finding my classes on time. I don't know about your campus, but mornings are usually the worst for parking. If you'd prefer an easier, less busy environment, consider taking evening classes as much as possible.

Offline Alxandra

• ☦ ICXCNIKA ☦
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 08:28:18 PM »
Try to attend all the classes and understand the lessons. I also create overview notes in a separate notebook for studying.

Find a friend that you can study together and help each other with notes and understanding. Someone who has similar values as you though so you can enjoy studying together and going for coffee , but won't pressure you to go out and be part of things your not interested in.
I hope God's will is done and He helps you take the right program :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:29:03 PM by Alxandra »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Blog http://a-nastacia.tumblr.com/

Offline kelly

• UNSUBSCRIBED
  • Archon
  • My icon of St. Olga Nikolaevna
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Alpaca ministries
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:56:03 PM »
My advice is to not get advice from this forum.
She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. - Proverbs 31:13

This user posts here but probably shouldn't.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαυμά!
  • OC.net guru
  • Πρώτο ο Θεός
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 08:57:34 PM »
My advice is to not get advice from this forum.
I advise you to follow this advice.
'Η ἐλπίς μου ὁ Πατήρ, καταφυγή μου ὁ Υἱός, σκέπη μου τὸ Πνεῦμα τὸ Ἅγιον· Τριὰς Ἁγία, δόξα Σοι.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
    • Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 09:04:03 PM »
Don't mix your alcohols.

Don't listen to Ms. Vodka.

• Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »
College can be a great experience.  I would not want to be a monastic.  In comparison, college is very easy.

College has no purpose, monasticism does.
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (5/30/2015)

I am scaling back posting because the crack in my computer screen makes it harder and harder to type.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »

Not entirely true. The mind can serve God. And college can help to sharpen the mind. For example, I would say that my newfound knowledge of English so far has helped me to better understand the Bible.

• Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »

Not entirely true. The mind can serve God. And college can help to sharpen the mind. For example, I would say that my newfound knowledge of English so far has helped me to better understand the Bible.

Well, I guess it's relative.

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 09:52:11 PM »
The monastic life has it's place and so does living in the world. Remember that God blessed both ways of life.

The short of it, is that the Abbot of the monastery I was going to join told me, "I think it's a good idea for you to explore the possibility of going to college and finding a girlfriend/wife. Above all, no matter what you do, stay close to the Church and the sacraments." My priest agrees and so that's what I'll do. *cough* Hey Alxandra, I'm single :p *cough*

Looking back on high school I wish I studied more because I know I can do well if I put my mind to it. I've been out of high school for 11 years so I am a tad rusty. Years ago I was in a three week class to get hired on at Boeing and people came from all over. It was a very strict class, if you failed one test (they had written and hands on) you were out and you couldn't get hired at that time (had to try again later in the year). I made it a habit of enjoying what I was learning and to take lots of notes, notes notes notes on everything! Needless to say, I passed.

I think that's the mind set I need to be in. I'll have to take pre-reqs no matter what and if I feel like I might do bad at math I'll just ask for help from the teacher after class, buy math for dummies, do whatever it takes.

I am just going to go to a community college but that's okay. I don't really know the pros and cons between community college vs a university. All I know is that I'll love the job after I graduate and I'll make good money for once so I'll be happy.

I'll make sure I have a social life because that's part of the career anyway (I would be taking x-rays of people) plus a good conversation does a lot for a person. I'll just have to put things like video games and entertainment on a back burner - or have them be a reward for the weekends only.

Currently I work a full time job but thankfully I talked to my parents and they agreed for me to live with them for free while I am going to college. That'll allow me to get a simple part time job at a comic book store or whatever so I can have extra money for gas, food, phone bill, stuff like that.

Currently I am trying to learn about student loans and grants. I hear that grants are money you don't have to pay back, so I want to look into those more.

I have one of those "give it my all or don't do it" attitude which I am hoping will benefit me.

Thanks for all your tips and encouragements

Offline nothing

• High Elder
  • College kids ain't ****
  • Jurisdiction: Jornada del Muerto
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:56 PM »

LOL ok.
This is born alone die alone, so my dialogue's dastardly
Life's a tragedy generator operating at max capacity

“I’ve lived to bury my desires,
And see my dreams corrode with rust;
Now all that’s left are fruitless fires
That burn my empty heart to dust.”
― Alexander Pushkin

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Archon
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 10:01:13 PM »
I am worried I'll be a failure and be stuck with huge loans.
Assuming you stick with a two-year college and don't take out more than tuition, you'll be OK. Associates degrees from a public school are relatively cheap. The community college in my town (which is partnered with a four-year university for those who want to continue after graduation) charges a flat $1,175 for full-time students and $117 per credit hour for part-time students. That's a freakin' bargain.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
    • Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »

LOL ok.

Funny how monasticism created centers of learning.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:01:51 PM by hecma925 »

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 10:19:14 PM »

LOL ok.

And that was their downfall. All these lazy monks, thinking thoughts and asking questions. God loves the ignorant and the simple-minded, you should know that by now.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
    • Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 12:12:08 AM »

LOL ok.

And that was their downfall. All these lazy monks, thinking thoughts and asking questions. God loves the ignorant and the simple-minded, you should know that by now.

You're right.  I hate reading and writing.

• Taxiarches
  • #FeelTheBern
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 12:23:53 AM »

LOL ok.

Anathema.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • "I’m da mo’ freakin’ top madam"
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 12:43:02 AM »
To survive in College, just study hard and don't leave everything to the last minute. Also, ask lecturers questions if you don't know. They are obligated to answer you no matter how awkward things get.

Also, don't do drugs and smoke weed. Try getting a part time job.

My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
    • Blog
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 01:15:02 AM »

LOL ok.

Anathema.

Yawn.

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
I currently have a full time job. Should I find out when class times are before looking for a part time job or get the part time job and then look into the classes? I hear that some classes are only given in the mornings and I don't want a job to conflict with class times.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 10:05:53 PM »
OP does your college offer a Summer Session? You may consider starting not full time in the spring or fall, but starting this Summer Session and taking 1 or 2 classes at the most since the learning is more condensed, and better yet, do the courses online if your college offers them. It's much less stressful that way since you'll feel like you're easing into college gradually opposed to jumping in full time. And perhaps you can use this session to fulfill your mathematics proficiency requirement (which is usually 1 math class). That way, you can focus solely on knocking out your problem area and maybe even get tutoring if you need it.