OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 05:04:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Archbishop Hilarion protects female parishioners in trousers  (Read 15056 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« on: December 14, 2009, 08:16:03 PM »

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=6736

14 December 2009, 16:14

Archbishop Hilarion protects female parishioners in trousers

Moscow, December 14, Interfax – Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk urges to be more tolerant of the way parishioners are dressed.

Sometimes casual dressed young men and girls in trousers came to the Church "to find support and understanding, but were subjected to insults and humiliation," the Archbishop told the Church and World program (the Vesti TV).

He considers such attitude "a disease we should fight against," the DECR website reported on Monday.

Archbishop Hilarion points out that women's trouser suits have been produced in Russia and in the West for over 80 years, thus we cannot consider trousers men's clothing only. "The Lord looks at a person's heart, not at his or her cloths," he stressed.

==================

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:20:45 PM »

Good of Abp Hilarion, that he said that.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:27:46 PM »

I don't think Heaven is concerned about fashions. Good on the Archbishop.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 08:43:09 PM »

I don't suppose Heaven is bothered about clothes? But please don't come naked to church!

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 06:34:33 PM »

I wish he was there with me when an ROC priest chewed me out for wearing shorts in his church  (I wasn't even "officially" attending the service, just dropped by to take some pictures of the church when they were open during a vigil service).

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 07:43:23 PM »

Men and women should come to Church to worship and pray, not to make a fashion statement. Women should dress in a manner that will draw as little attention to themselves as possible. As a man, I am at Church to gaze at the icons and focus on the Lord, not to ogle seductively dressed women. Persoanlly, the more covered a woman is and the looser her clothes are, the more I respect her and see her as a God-fearing woman. If women want to "look pretty" or "be sexy," there are plenty of places in this world for that. Church should not be one of them. Women: please consider the spritual welfare of your Christian brethren when you dress for Church.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 09:41:46 PM »

http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=6736

14 December 2009, 16:14

Archbishop Hilarion protects female parishioners in trousers

Moscow, December 14, Interfax – Head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations Archbishop Hilarion of Volokolamsk urges to be more tolerant of the way parishioners are dressed.

Sometimes casual dressed young men and girls in trousers came to the Church "to find support and understanding, but were subjected to insults and humiliation," the Archbishop told the Church and World program (the Vesti TV).

He considers such attitude "a disease we should fight against," the DECR website reported on Monday.

Archbishop Hilarion points out that women's trouser suits have been produced in Russia and in the West for over 80 years, thus we cannot consider trousers men's clothing only. "The Lord looks at a person's heart, not at his or her cloths," he stressed.

==================

Orthodoc

Awesome!

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 09:44:57 PM »

Men and women should come to Church to worship and pray, not to make a fashion statement. Women should dress in a manner that will draw as little attention to themselves as possible. As a man, I am at Church to gaze at the icons and focus on the Lord, not to ogle seductively dressed women. Persoanlly, the more covered a woman is and the looser her clothes are, the more I respect her and see her as a God-fearing woman. If women want to "look pretty" or "be sexy," there are plenty of places in this world for that. Church should not be one of them. Women: please consider the spritual welfare of your Christian brethren when you dress for Church.

Selam

Plenty of women where pants simply as a casual form of dress, not really having anything to do with fashion or seduction.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »

Selam

I agree. And men should dress in a manner that will draw as little attention to themselves as possible, too! In fact, why not have them put a bag over their heads in the process. I remember being in Church with my daughter once. The Liturgy had started and I was following along as one does. Daughter happened to turn around as a young Greek god glides into Church. Being the pious lady I am, I didn't notice. Tongue So daughter elbows me and with a jerk of her head in his direction draws my attention to the newly arrived "deity"!

Ok, ok... I repented!

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »

Selam

Plenty of women where pants simply as a casual form of dress, not really having anything to do with fashion or seduction.

What is important is that we dress modestly and respectfully and that to some extent is dictated by the culture we live in. What is considered respectful in modern America may not have been respectful a hundred years ago and may not be in modern day Romania or Tanzania. Sensibilities change in time and place.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 10:15:30 PM »

Selam

Many women find a man dressed in a well-fitting suit with a white shirt and tie most alluring. Does this mean men should stop wearing such clothes to church for fear it may distract the ladies?
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 10:19:06 PM »

Selam

Many women find a man dressed in a well-fitting suit with a white shirt and tie most alluring. Does this mean men should stop wearing such clothes to church for fear it may distract the ladies?

Yes, perhaps we (male and female) should all wear burkas?  angel

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »

I wish he was there with me when an ROC priest chewed me out for wearing shorts in his church  (I wasn't even "officially" attending the service, just dropped by to take some pictures of the church when they were open during a vigil service).

When I was in Greece I used to have a pair of pants in my bag, which I would put on when I passed a Church and go in (I went into any Church that was open).  I wasn't even crazy about my sons wearing shorts when they were younger.  When a Church is consecrated, it is set aside, and not like any other place.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »

I think in that context the issue is not pants.  There is an overall problem of people coming to the Church, not knowing what to do, and getting scolded easily by priests.   
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 11:40:11 PM »

I've seen middle-age women scolded for wearing very tasteful and modest pant-suits in a ROCOR parish. I guess there "pious dress" was determined c. 19th cent. In cases like that it seems to me that modesty is not the issue, but preservation of certain cultural norms disguised as "modesty".

On the flip side I've seen girls/young women in skin tight jeans and t-shirts in Moscow parishes who took the time to cover their heads!

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »

Selam

I anticipated such reactionary responses to my simple and plain comments. But I will indulge you guys anyway. If men are dressing specifically to draw attention to themselves or to look sexy, then that is not an appropriate approach in considering Church attire. Modesty and respect are of equal importance for both genders. Someone can always attack modesty by gradually inching the bar lower and lower. But I know what that game is all about, and I don't even pay it any mind. Whether you are a man or a woman, if you love God and love your fellow man then you will err on the side caution. You will adorn yourself in such a way as to give God the glory rather than yourself.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »

Selam

I anticipated such reactionary responses to my simple and plain comments. But I will indulge you guys anyway. If men are dressing specifically to draw attention to themselves or to look sexy, then that is not an appropriate approach in considering Church attire. Modesty and respect are of equal importance for both genders. Someone can always attack modesty by gradually inching the bar lower and lower. But I know what that game is all about, and I don't even pay it any mind. Whether you are a man or a woman, if you love God and love your fellow man then you will err on the side caution. You will adorn yourself in such a way as to give God the glory rather than yourself.

Selam

But if we are made in the image of God should we not reflect his glory through, for example, a designer suit that makes us look great?  Wink

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 12:55:43 AM »

I know I'm not a Bishop, nor do I pretend to be. But in my honest opinion, this is one of the things that the Church should allow to change with time, that is dress code.

If someone comes into a church in trousers, jeans or even sweatpants, I don't believe there is anything wrong with it... How can we know if that's all that person has to wear? Who then, are we to scold them?

The only occurrences I can think of where someone's dress should be corrected, is if it is too revealing of their anatomy. If a woman wears a low cut shirt, or a skirt or shorts that are too high, or a man who is wearing shorts that are too high, or a shirt that is too transparent... You get the picture...

It's up to the Bishops and the Priests, but our dress code should not be stuck in the 19th Century...
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 01:09:17 AM »

Although I can see where you might want to have exceptions, and in many circumstances leniency might be a good policy, still, generally, I think that women should wear modest dresses to Church because according to:
Deuteronomy 22:5
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
The fact that it is mentioned that it is an abomination for women to wear that which pertaineth to a man (and vice versa) means that the Lord has strong opinions on the issue.
Further, it is clear that trousers pertain to men's dress, because if you have to go to the toilet and you see a door with a human figure wearing trousers, you know that it is the men's restroom.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 01:11:30 AM »

If we all just wore togas, this wouldn't be an issue. Just sayin'.

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 01:16:23 AM »

Although I can see where you might want to have exceptions, and in many circumstances leniency might be a good policy, still, generally, I think that women should wear modest dresses to Church because according to:
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
The fact that it is mentioned that it is an abomination for women to wear that which pertaineth to a man (and vice versa) means that the Lord has strong opinions on the issue.
Further, it is clear that trousers pertain to men's dress, because if you have to go to the toilet and you see a door with a human figure wearing trousers, you know that it is the men's restroom.

You are being too logical and too biblical my friend. Expect a barage of tirades against your anachronistic and unenlightened opinion. You have to realize that some of these posters take a Jeffersonian approach to the Holy Scriptures; i.e. they desire to cut out any and all biblical texts that don't align with their own myopic worldview. Eventually, the only Scripture they will affirm as valid for today is the word "me."

But I'm with you 100%. Wink

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 01:17:36 AM »

Yes, considering that both male and female attire consisted of tunics or different lengths when Deuteronomy was written. Wasn't the idea of trousers borrowed from the Persians?

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 02:31:46 AM »

A-MEN! (to Abp. HILARION)

More to this:
I believe there are several different perspectives regarding dress.  On one end, there is the Russian 18th century perspective that says that women must wear full length clothing (dresses or skirts) and men long sleeve shirts and pants, with both looking rather peasant-like.  On the other end, there is the Protestant-"dress your Sunday best" attitude.  Well, both styles seem to have conflict with both modern dress and the actual intent of what "ought" to be.  From my perspective, a woman coming in wearing a skirt, but some even slightly revealing top is AS distracting as some guy coming to church in some fancy suit - they're both just incredibly pretentious.  MODEST is something that covers the flesh, but is not pretentious or fancy.  Saying a woman is "cross-dressing" or wearing men's clothes by wearing some form of pants is just rubbish (I love this British word) - its not even debateble and anyone who says otherwise should not even be acknowledged unless it is to educate the ignorant. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:46:05 AM by Elisha » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:46 AM »

There are certainly no female trousers in the God-fearing Zarist churches.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 02:49:03 AM »

Depends on the variety of toga Wink
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 03:17:20 AM »

Saying a woman is "cross-dressing" or wearing men's clothes by wearing some form of pants is just rubbish (I love this British word) - its not even debateble and anyone who says otherwise should not even be acknowledged unless it is to educate the ignorant. 

My favourite British word for such claims is "codswallop".  laugh

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 04:01:03 AM »

More to this:
I believe there are several different perspectives regarding dress.  On one end, there is the Russian 18th century perspective that says that women must wear full length clothing (dresses or skirts) and men long sleeve shirts and pants, with both looking rather peasant-like.  On the other end, there is the Protestant-"dress your Sunday best" attitude.  Well, both styles seem to have conflict with both modern dress and the actual intent of what "ought" to be.  From my perspective, a woman coming in wearing a skirt, but some even slightly revealing top is AS distracting as some guy coming to church in some fancy suit - they're both just incredibly pretentious.  MODEST is something that covers the flesh, but is not pretentious or fancy.  Saying a woman is "cross-dressing" or wearing men's clothes by wearing some form of pants is just rubbish (I love this British word) - its not even debateble and anyone who says otherwise should not even be acknowledged unless it is to educate the ignorant. 

Just to clarify so as not to be misunderstood: I have never advocated that women should not wear pants in Church. Read my posts and you will see that I never mentioned pants, but rather emphasized modesty. (Just don't want others to think you are talking about me here.)

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 04:04:51 AM »

The title of this thread made me imagine His Holiness shielding trouser-clad women from the wrath of an angry traditionalist Russian Orthodox mob.
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 04:21:54 AM »

The title of this thread made me imagine His Holiness shielding trouser-clad women from the wrath of an angry traditionalist Russian Orthodox mob.

That's some imagination you have, there!  laugh

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 04:25:05 AM »

Selam

I agree. And men should dress in a manner that will draw as little attention to themselves as possible, too! In fact, why not have them put a bag over their heads in the process. I remember being in Church with my daughter once. The Liturgy had started and I was following along as one does. Daughter happened to turn around as a young Greek god glides into Church. Being the pious lady I am, I didn't notice. Tongue So daughter elbows me and with a jerk of her head in his direction draws my attention to the newly arrived "deity"!

Ok, ok... I repented!

Grin

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 04:25:56 AM »

Selam

What is important is that we dress modestly and respectfully and that to some extent is dictated by the culture we live in. What is considered respectful in modern America may not have been respectful a hundred years ago and may not be in modern day Romania or Tanzania. Sensibilities change in time and place.

Good point!

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 04:27:51 AM »

Selam

Don't forget that people are also distracted by the good looks of others of their same gender.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:29:26 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 04:30:53 AM »

When I was in Greece I used to have a pair of pants in my bag, which I would put on when I passed a Church and go in (I went into any Church that was open).  I wasn't even crazy about my sons wearing shorts when they were younger.  When a Church is consecrated, it is set aside, and not like any other place.

I would think there would be more important ways of recognizing the other-worldly nature of the Church.

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 04:33:08 AM »

Selam

Don't forget that people are also distracted by the good looks of others of their same gender.

Ok, so it's burkas all round, then?  angel

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 04:33:22 AM »

On the flip side I've seen girls/young women in skin tight jeans and t-shirts

Honestly, tight jeans and t-shirts is significantly more modest than the sorts of things I've seen in my local Greek parish.  Sad

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 04:33:49 AM »

Selam

Or everybody could just chill out.  Wink

Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 04:35:34 AM »

Selam

Or everybody could just chill out.  Wink

Well, that might be too much to hope for!

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 04:37:00 AM »

Selam

Selam

But if we are made in the image of God should we not reflect his glory through, for example, a designer suit that makes us look great?  Wink

Actually, the primary problem with that sort of thing would probably be in it drawing away from more important ways of expressing piety, such as a prayerful attitude or almsgiving.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 04:38:50 AM »

or a man who is wearing shorts that are too high,

LOL. Guys wearing short-shorts in church? I've never seen this.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2010, 04:39:46 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

SRSLY?

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2010, 04:41:14 AM »

You have to realize that some of these posters take a Jeffersonian approach to the Holy Scriptures; i.e. they desire to cut out any and all biblical texts that don't align with their own myopic worldview. Eventually, the only Scripture they will affirm as valid for today is the word "me."

Comparing people here to Jefferson? That's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:41:40 AM by deusveritasest » Logged

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2010, 04:52:50 AM »

You have to realize that some of these posters take a Jeffersonian approach to the Holy Scriptures; i.e. they desire to cut out any and all biblical texts that don't align with their own myopic worldview. Eventually, the only Scripture they will affirm as valid for today is the word "me."

You're right. At least Jefferson believed in God; but we have atheists who feel the need to propagate their anti-God views on this forum.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2010, 04:55:49 AM »

You're right. At least Jefferson believed in God; but we have atheists who feel the need to propagate their anti-God views on this forum.

Ok, now this is the second time that this type of claim has been made in the last few days. Apart from GiC, who isn't even posting right now, who here is an atheist? Isn't bearing false witness a sin or something? Something about it in the Ten Suggestions of the Old Testament?

"I haven't done anything wrong, and I won't be hounded by you and your soulless minions of orthodoxy! I haven't broken any laws... except perhaps the laws of nature." - Dr. Elias Giger
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2010, 04:58:01 AM »

Selam

I haven't seen anything of that sort in this thread.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2010, 05:09:58 AM »

Selam

I haven't seen anything of that sort in this thread.

No. But the Jeffersonian spirit is rampant throughout this thread, evidenced by the subjective opinions indicating that modesty is passe, culturally relavant, and superfluous in today's world. But then again, I'm sure some of these people consider this a compliment.

Selam

Selam, +GMK+
Tags: proper behavior 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: