OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:52:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crossing yourself at vespers and liturgy  (Read 3364 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »

Yep, we bow then cross. Same way we venerate icons (metania then cross).

Right, the mediterranean practice is to bow then cross, the slavic to cross then sweep/bow.  Is ok one way or the other

Father, i'm not sure what you mean by "sweep" is that what is done after the sign of the cross, or is that referring to the sign itself?
Azul
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Român Ortodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 04:28:27 PM »

Yep, we bow then cross. Same way we venerate icons (metania then cross).

Right, the mediterranean practice is to bow then cross, the slavic to cross then sweep/bow.  Is ok one way or the other

We cross than bow.Or cross than kiss.

Every formula of every religion has in this age of reason, to submit to the acid test of reason and universal assent.
Mahatma Gandhi
vasily
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox church in america

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »

I am rather surprised that someone actually approached you about this.  I would, if they do so again, remind them that during the liturgy our focus is supposed to be on our prayer, instead of those around us.  Also, while many people do practice this, it is far from a requirement.  I don't believe either of the priests at my parish cross themselves at every petition, and it seems that most of the people who cross themselves at each petition don't even cross themselves at each petition (evidently, the crops aren't really that important...)

You took the words right out of my mouth. Are these individuals praying, following the service, or watching what everyone else is or isn't doing?
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: