OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:16:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on the role of saints in our lives...  (Read 1255 times) Average Rating: 0
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 13, 2009, 03:16:15 PM »

Greetings!
I am hoping to further understand, appreciate, and recognize the workings of the Saints in my life, but based on my religious background I fear that I am blind to most, if not all of it.  I have spent my life in Stone-Campbell Restoration Movement churches (Church of Christ/Christian churches) and as full of lovely people as they are, there is so much about the kingdom of God that I don't have a grasp of that I sincerely would like to understand.  Things that I accept as true and right without yet having the skills of recognition.  Coming from a tradition that doesn't recognize saints in any fashion I don't fully know what to do with them or how to approach them.  I have been spending time reading lives of saints and have been finding great encouragement in their stories and I fully believe that they intercede on our behalf, but I am left with the nagging suspicion that there is much more to it.  I kind of feel like I am suppose to be looking for something that I don't know exists.  This last week I came across St Nilus of Sora (also known as Nil Sorsky) and there is so much about his life and work that resonates with me and seems to parallel the transformation that God has been working in my life.  Part of me wants to believe that somehow St Nilus has been involved with this, but I also know that "feelings" are often poor sources of conviction.  I wish I could ask a more specific question, but as I don't really quite know what I am asking this will have to do for now.  Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 01:25:19 AM »

Don't worry, and don't look too hard.  Like most things, it will be revealed to you at the proper time.  For some of us, the Saints are an example.  For some, they are as real and as present as those around us in the flesh.  I have experienced both in my life.  Keep reading their lives, and read their services.  Sing their hymns.  That is the beauty of the Orthodox Church.  We are all one, the living and those reposed.  That it is even in your heart to ask this question is good.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:30:59 AM »

I agree with Punch, don't force it. You are making your own connections with St Nilus of Sora.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »

Thank you both for that measure of wisdom.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 02:04:13 AM »

Hi KBN1,

I was raised in the Campbellite Church of Christ but left it almost 20 years ago from Holy Orthodoxy. From that perspective I would say that in a sense, yes, you are missing something. But it's not something doctrinal. Right now, you are at the stage where you are just becoming acquainted with the saints. And like any other new acquaintance, there's a lot of potential depth which you have just started to scratch the surface of. But also like any other relationship, it's not something to force. Follow Punch's advice and over time you will find some of those acquaintances deepening into strong relationships.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 02:16:06 AM »

I have a great love and veneration for Saint Nil Sorsky and wanted so much, when I was a young monk, to be a monk in his mould.   But God decided otherwise.

I don't know if your journey has progressed to the stage where you are comfortable praying to Saints but if you have, here is this Akathist which you can read.   It will increase your knowledge of him and your  "connection"  with him to stand in his presence while praying his Akathist.  Here is the link

http://web.archive.org/web/20010710002342/www.saintnilus.org/akathist.html

Holy Father Nil pray for us
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 11:08:40 AM »

Hi KBN1,

I was raised in the Campbellite Church of Christ but left it almost 20 years ago from Holy Orthodoxy. From that perspective I would say that in a sense, yes, you are missing something. But it's not something doctrinal. Right now, you are at the stage where you are just becoming acquainted with the saints. And like any other new acquaintance, there's a lot of potential depth which you have just started to scratch the surface of. But also like any other relationship, it's not something to force. Follow Punch's advice and over time you will find some of those acquaintances deepening into strong relationships.

Yeah, I suppose in my excitement about finding Orthodoxy I am behaving like a starved man at a buffet; shoving as much stuff in as I can while savoring none of it.  Smiley

Also, thank you Irish Hermit.
Punch
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 12:58:48 PM »

Yeah, I suppose in my excitement about finding Orthodoxy I am behaving like a starved man at a buffet; shoving as much stuff in as I can while savoring none of it.  Smiley

Also, thank you Irish Hermit.

That is a pretty accurate way to put it.  I can certainly say that is how I felt 15 years ago.  Once I realized that I would never understand ALL of what the Church had to offer, I was able to enjoy the few things that I understood that much more.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
KBN1
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 01:07:34 PM »

That is a pretty accurate way to put it.  I can certainly say that is how I felt 15 years ago.  Once I realized that I would never understand ALL of what the Church had to offer, I was able to enjoy the few things that I understood that much more.

I suppose I need to be more present with eternity.
Tags: saints 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: