OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:27:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Patron Saint of Animals?  (Read 3650 times) Average Rating: 0
Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Midwest Diocese

Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!

« on: December 12, 2009, 11:56:50 PM »

Hi guys!

I've been doing a lot of research on this for a month or so and keep getting flustered, mostly out of uncertainty but here's my query.

I'm trying to get thoughts about an icon corner together, and the thing of it is is that we all have certain saints we like to pray to for special reasons.  Well, I'm looking for an Orthodox saint that is a patron over animals (or cats if I can get specific), like Francis of Assisi is in RC.  Reason being is that I'd like to have a saint keep watch and protect my kitty (who has been a blessing for me--I'd be a lot more down if I didn't have her).

I've found one:  St. Gertrude of Nivelles, but I am not 100% sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrude_of_Nivelles :  this link shows she is venerated in both Orthodoxy and RC.

http://www.saintspreserved.com/gertrude.htm :  this has some more information on her.

--------------------

I am wondering what peoples' thoughts on her are, and if are any other possible saints that might be able to fit the bill.  Any help and assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much.  God Bless!

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 12:03:41 AM »

She died before the 1054 schism, so it's perfectly acceptable to venerate her. Here are some Orthodox saints for animals:

For Animals & Livestock
* St. George: cattle & herds
* St. Modestus of Jerusalem
* Holy Martyr Mamas
* St. Parthenius of Radovysdius: cattle
* SS. Spevsippus, Elesippus & Melevsippus: horses
*St. Tryphon: geese

I have also heard some asking for the intercessions of St. Seraphim of Sarov for their animals.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Tags: saints animals 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: