OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:43:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which churches became Orthodox?  (Read 1682 times) Average Rating: 0
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« on: December 12, 2009, 04:21:24 PM »

Greetings one and everyone, Grin

I was curious as to which churches have become Orthodox, whether Eastern or Western? I know some Lutheran and Anglican parishes have become Western Orthodox, but have there been Methodist or Presbyterian as well? Feel free to post your church if yours was former Protestant community.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:28:08 PM »

Greetings one and everyone, Grin

I was curious as to which churches have become Orthodox, whether Eastern or Western? I know some Lutheran and Anglican parishes have become Western Orthodox, but have there been Methodist or Presbyterian as well? Feel free to post your church if yours was former Protestant community.

In Christ,
Andrew

All Saints in Chicago was an independent Protestant group that grew out of a Bible study at Wheaton College.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »

The OCA Exarchate of Mexico was built by a formerly independent catholic parish (near Mexico City airport). They got their original orders from clergy whose orders can be traced to the "National Catholic Church" (a breakaway group created by the Communists during the years of the religious persecution in Mexico, a kind of "Living Church" for Catholics). I must say, however, that this community had no actual relation with the Communist Church.

They were trying to join an Orthodox Church following the steps of other Mexican parishes in Texas and the Southern US who became part of the OCA. However, this was not possible in Mexico as the Antiochians had no interest in expanding their Church to non-Arabs. Joining the OCA predecesor was at that time not possible (as it wasn't recognized by the MP, the Soviet embassy and the pro-Communist government in Mexico would have opposed). However, in the 1970's, once the OCA was recognized by Moscow, the group was received as the Exarchate of Mexico.

I have personally tried to bring some independent churches to real Orthodoxy but many don't really have an intention to be canonical and do things correctly. they're happy to be independent and they don't want to follow the disciplines of the Church.

Michał
['mi:hɑʊ]
High Elder

Faith: Catholic (again!)
Jurisdiction: the Latin Church

"Mother of God, Virgin, by God glorified Mary..."

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »

I was curious as to which churches have become Orthodox, whether Eastern or Western?

Eastern: some Old Belivers' and Assyrian parishes, and many Byzanthine Catholic ones.
Western: some Old Catholic parishes and the whole of UACORO (Union des Associations Cultuelles Orthodoxes de Rite Occidental).
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 08:33:11 AM »

I was curious as to which churches have become Orthodox, whether Eastern or Western?

Eastern: some Old Belivers' and Assyrian parishes, and many Byzanthine Catholic ones.

Were the Assyrians allowed to retain their rite?
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 08:35:27 AM »

Were the Assyrians allowed to retain their rite?

Old Belivers - yes, Assyrians (as far as I know) - not.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:43:18 AM »

Assyrians (as far as I know) - not.

Why?
Michał
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:14:46 AM »

Why?

I guess they were content with going Byzantine rite. I don't think it was unwillingness of the ROCOR (it was the jurisdicion that received them), which seems to have no problem with adopting different rites (currently in regular use: the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom, the pre-Nikonian Liturgy of St John Chrysostom, the Liturgy of St Gregory the Great, the Liturgy of Sarum, and the Liturgy of the English Rite; currently in at least annual use: the Liturgy of St Basil the Great, the Liturgy of St James, and the Liturgy of St Mark; currently not in use but approved: the Liturgy of St Germanus of Paris).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 09:18:31 AM by Michał » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 01:54:13 PM »

Whatever Assyrians became EO, they probably did it for strategic/political reasons, at the onset of the first WW, hoping help from or even annexation into the Russian empire.
I wonder if any of those communities survive, anywhere (Caucasus, more likely)?
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:53:44 PM »

Assyrians that united with the Russian Church used the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom (which is not unlike thier Anaphora of Nestorius)  in Syriac.  I think I remember reading the Russian Church did not have the resources to inspect all their books for heresy so required the Byzantine Rite on them translated into Syriac.  They no longer exist.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: