OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 06:28:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do Orthodox fast before the Eucharist when even the Apostles didn't?  (Read 3617 times) Average Rating: 0
Kaste
Site Supporter

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: member of the Invisible Church

« on: December 11, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »

Just after their supper with Jesus, Jesus turned the wine and bread into His true body, and the Apostles ate Him. 

Should then Orthodox fast before the Eucharist?

K
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 12:47:18 AM »

Well Christ did say you don't fast while the Bridegroom is present but when he is not you will.

And most of us are not deified like the Apostles were. So fasting is of utmost importance for us to prepare ourselves.

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Kaste
Site Supporter

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 01:02:44 AM »

Thank you Fr. Anastasios.

We can close this one out.

K
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:47:09 AM »

And most of us are not deified like the Apostles were. So fasting is of utmost importance for us to prepare ourselves.

How were the apostles deified even before Pentecost?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 02:00:18 AM »

How were the apostles deified even before Pentecost?

The OT prophets were in deification, at least according to Met Hierotheos of Nafpaktos in The Mind of the Orthodox Church. Remember, though, that deification is not a 24/7 experience in this limited, imperfect world; people can be in illumination all the time and will have "bouts" of deification but deification is not permanent in this world for those who are granted it. So I could see a situation where the Apostles were enlightened and then fell back then were more enlightened at Pentecost; in fact, we sing on Holy Thursday, "when the Apostles were enlightened at the washing of the feet, then Judas the ungodly one..."

But, I was speaking more along the lines of Early Church practice, not the Last Supper per se.  The Last Supper would fall under the "you don't fast while the Bridegroom is present" injunction, though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:02:04 AM by Fr. Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 07:04:27 AM »

Read what St. Paul said about what was going on at Corinth by those not fasting before communion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 09:36:39 AM »

I'd like to sieze upon this opportunity to ask two questions related to this topic:
1) What's the earliest explicit record of fasting before the Eucharist?

2) How does this not violate the prohibition against fasting on Sundays?

These are honest questions I've had and I look forward to hearing the answers!
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »

The prohibition against fasting on Sundays, is a prohibition against fasting from the Eucharist on Sundays, not other kinds of fasting.
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:32:18 AM »

Actually the prohibition is for the Sabbath or Saturday, The Orthodox fast is loosened by allowing wine and cheese on Saturdays in the Greek tradition.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:49:20 AM »

Just after their supper with Jesus, Jesus turned the wine and bread into His true body, and the Apostles ate Him. 

Should then Orthodox fast before the Eucharist?

K
You really like to get people going don't you.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Kaste
Site Supporter

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »

Just a moment, is there a contradiction here with canon 66 of the Apostolic Canons?

http://www.voskrese.info/spl/aposcanon.html

K
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »

Just a moment, is there a contradiction here with canon 66 of the Apostolic Canons?

http://www.voskrese.info/spl/aposcanon.html

K

No, we don't fast on Sundays. Even during Lent, we have wine and olive oil on Sundays. We also are not refraining from eating until the 9th hour.

Please Buy My Book!

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »

The Orthodox fast is loosened by allowing wine and cheese on Saturdays in the Greek tradition.

Cheese is not permitted on Saturdays. Oil and wine are.
Kaste
Site Supporter

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 05:21:35 PM »

No, we don't fast on Sundays.

Something seems out of place.  Are or aren't Orthodox taught to fast before the Eucharist, which is on Sunday? 

K
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2009, 05:26:27 PM »

Something seems out of place.  Are or aren't Orthodox taught to fast before the Eucharist, which is on Sunday? 

K

Why do you care?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 05:32:01 PM »

K

We are not fasting because it is Sunday, we are fasting to receive communion, and we are not fasting all day, and we are not fasting from wine and olive oil that day.

Besides, fasting before communing is a universal practice; it is practiced by the Eastern Orthodox, Non Chalcedonians, Assyrians, and Roman Catholics. That is powerful proof that it is an ancient tradition.

Please Buy My Book!

GregoryLA
Elder

Faith: Moving toward Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Western Japan

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 07:14:25 PM »

K

We are not fasting because it is Sunday, we are fasting to receive communion, and we are not fasting all day, and we are not fasting from wine and olive oil that day.

Besides, fasting before communing is a universal practice; it is practiced by the Eastern Orthodox, Non Chalcedonians, Assyrians, and Roman Catholics. That is powerful proof that it is an ancient tradition.

Thank you for this post, Fr. Anastasios! It's very helpful to know that all the "ancient" churches hold this practice. Surely it can't be wrong then- not unless one believes that the gates of Hell can conquer the Church.

Also, in answer to my own questions as to when this practice started I looked it up and it seems to have become widespread after the 4th century.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 07:25:18 PM »

and we are not fasting from wine and olive oil that day.
Does that mean I can have wine for breakfast before Communion? Cheesy
Seriously though, our Church holds the Communion Fast to be a strict fast. In our monastery Church, we break our fast straight after Communion in the narthex with wine and Antidoron then return to the nave for the dismissal. It's the custom of some Athonite monasteries.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 08:06:20 PM »

Seriously though, our Church holds the Communion Fast to be a strict fast. In our monastery Church, we break our fast straight after Communion in the narthex with wine and Antidoron then return to the nave for the dismissal. It's the custom of some Athonite monasteries.

It's the custom in Poland. Not in every Parish antidorion is received by those, who did not participate in Eucharist, but in each Parish it is taken by those, who did.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 07:12:43 AM »

This is the custom of most Orthodox parishes I have been to. Ours breaks the fast with only Antidoron, and not wine, but our parish is an exception, from what I've seen. I find the Antidoron to be very helpful in regaining strength after such a long time without eating (for us, usually from about 8 pm until about noon the next day).

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 08:39:59 AM »

I've seen it in a few OCA parishes/monasteries, too.  And why not?  They do gladden and strengthen man's heart after all! Smiley

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 08:02:27 AM »

This is the custom of most Orthodox parishes I have been to. Ours breaks the fast with only Antidoron, and not wine, but our parish is an exception, from what I've seen. I find the Antidoron to be very helpful in regaining strength after such a long time without eating (for us, usually from about 8 pm until about noon the next day).

I've never been to a parish that breaks the fast in the Narthex, as the Athonites do. Sure, some Slavic parishes serve half-harm-water/half-wine up near the front of the Nave, but that's different.

The Athonite monasteries preserve some of the older customs that properly separate certain actions into distinct liturgical spaces (e.g. Great Blessing of Holy Water outside in the courtyard's fountain; reading of the hours or Small Compline in the Narthex or Exo-Narthex, etc.).

After Communion, one processes to the Narthex itself, which is the space for "liturgical eating". If you didn't receive the Holy Gifts, then you have some Holy Water and antidoron. Sometimes, the Fathers serve wine, as ozgeorge mentioned. You also have wine and atroklesia in the Narthex at the proper time during the All-Night Vigil.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Tags: communion fasting 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: