OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:38:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Entrance during the Phos Hilaron  (Read 5981 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: December 11, 2009, 12:42:02 AM »

What's the point of the entrance that takes place in Vespers during the Phos Hilaron?

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 01:10:52 AM »

Excuse the ignorant question, but what's the Phos Hilaron?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 01:15:18 AM »

What's the point of the entrance that takes place in Vespers during the Phos Hilaron?

Well there is no entrance during Vesper, only during Great Vespers and it takes place in this manner...

At the start of the "now and ever..." the presbyter and deacons leave the altar area with the censar and proceed to the solia in the usual manner. At the end of the "now and ever..." hymn the deacon intones "Wisdom, Attend" and "Phos Hilaron" begins. The clergy enter at "Father, Son and Holy Sprint" and the hymn concludes.

Joseph
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 01:16:06 AM »

Gladsome (or Joyous) Light...

Joseph
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 01:20:55 AM »

Well there is no entrance during Vesper, only during Great Vespers and it takes place in this manner...

At the start of the "now and ever..." the presbyter and deacons leave the altar area with the censar and proceed to the solia in the usual manner. At the end of the "now and ever..." hymn the deacon intones "Wisdom, Attend" and "Phos Hilaron" begins. The clergy enter at "Father, Son and Holy Sprint" and the hymn concludes.

I mean Great Vespers...

I know what happens. I've been to Great Vespers many times. I meant, why is there an entrance? The historical reason behind the great entrance during the Divine Liturgy is that the unconsecrated elements used to be housed in a separate room, and the entrance was when they were brought to the altar. So what's the historical reason for the Great Vespers entrance?

arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 02:02:48 AM »

I mean Great Vespers...

I know what happens. I've been to Great Vespers many times. I meant, why is there an entrance? The historical reason behind the great entrance during the Divine Liturgy is that the unconsecrated elements used to be housed in a separate room, and the entrance was when they were brought to the altar. So what's the historical reason for the Great Vespers entrance?
Sorry misunderstood your original question, the entrance is a hold over from the Cathedral Rite Vespers, it is when the Bishop would enter the altar area at that point. Attend a Vesperal Liturgy with a Bishop serving and it will make sense.

Joseph
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:07:35 AM »

Another ignorant question: do Antiochians hold their services in Greek?

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Cymbyz
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 03:07:21 AM »

In America, they use English.  They used to use Greek until the 17th century, when they switched to Arabic after electing their first Arabic Patriarch.

The end of the world
is as near as the day of your death;
watch and pray.

Yahoo! & WLM ID: Owen
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 03:15:07 AM »

Thank you!  Now, how about 'Solia'?  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 03:21:45 AM »

In America, they use English.  They used to use Greek until the 17th century, when they switched to Arabic after electing their first Arabic Patriarch.

Thank you! I thought so, but noticed Samkin refers to "O Gladsome Light" by its Greek title, and so I wondered if perhaps services are in Greek after all.

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 03:27:22 AM »

I like the word "Gladsome" - it it way under utilized and has a nice ring to it.  I surprised to hear during a Kurt Elling song (awesome Jazz singer), to hear him use "Vouchsafe" - another under utilized word.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:54:12 AM »

I don't think there is another name for it, it is the solia. Anyone else think they can take a stab at this?

Joseph
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:10:40 AM »

I don't think there is another name for it, it is the solia. Anyone else think they can take a stab at this?

I Googled it and came up with nada.  Sad

Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 05:27:23 AM »

REPLY #7.  I thought the Patriarchate of Antioch did not elect an Arab as patriarch until the very late 19th century or the very early 20th century. 

Also, the Antiochian Patriarchate retains some Greek in its services, as do many of the parishes in the AOCANA, such as chanting "Holy God..." in Greek.  There are YouTube videos of services in Syria which support this statement.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 08:26:19 AM »

From OrthodoxWiki (from the "Ambon" entry): The entire elevated place in front of the Iconostasis is called the solea.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 12:15:34 PM »

Thanks genisesisone! Smiley

admiralnick
Cardinal, Editor for Photogalleries
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2009, 01:31:09 PM »

I've been told by a few Greek speakers that "Gladsome Light" isn't really that good of a translation for Phos Hilaron..... Most try to describe it as an uncontainable light or a light which casts awe and amazement on those who see it. As far as the entrance for the Great Vespers, it is usually when there is a Gospel reading taking place (which is usually why a Great Vespers is served e.g. saint, major feast, etc.). The entrance during vespers I'm told is akin to the entrance done during divine liturgy before "O Come let us Worship and Fall Down.."

-Nick

The ORIGINAL: "NULL"
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »

As far as the entrance for the Great Vespers, it is usually when there is a Gospel reading taking place (which is usually why a Great Vespers is served e.g. saint, major feast, etc.). The entrance during vespers I'm told is akin to the entrance done during divine liturgy before "O Come let us Worship and Fall Down.."
NO! Wrong! There is not a Gospel reading at Great Vespers, never ever has there been. The only relation it has to the entrance at liturgy is that it is a small entrance and it traces it roots to the bishop entering the altar. The entrance at Great Vespers has nothing to do with the Gospel.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:06:53 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 04:08:56 PM »

As far as the entrance for the Great Vespers, it is usually when there is a Gospel reading taking place (which is usually why a Great Vespers is served e.g. saint, major feast, etc.). The entrance during vespers I'm told is akin to the entrance done during divine liturgy before "O Come let us Worship and Fall Down.."
NO! Wrong! There is not a Gospel reading at Great Vespers, never ever has there been. The only relation it has to the entrance at liturgy is that it is a small entrance and it traces it roots to the bishop entering the altar. The entrance at Great Vespers has nothing to do with the Gospel.

"When the choir begins to sing, Lord, I have called, the deacon, after the priest has blessed the incense, censes the altar on its four sides, the icons, the choirs, and the people, and returns to the sanctuary to the priest. At the Glory, the deacon opens the holy doors. Then the priest, preceded by the deacon with the censer, (or, if the Gospel is to be read, with the Gospel Book), goes around the right side of the altar, and comes out by the north door and stands before the holy doors.
    The deacon, bowing slightly and holding the orarion with the first three fingers of his right hand, says to the priest secretly: Let us pray to the Lord."

http://biserica.org/Publicatii/ServiceBook/Gvespers.htm

-Nick
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:12:53 PM by admiralnick » Logged

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 04:21:34 PM »

The Gospel is read at Vespers on Easter day alone: "Ousis opsias ti imera ekini"
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 04:22:48 PM by augustin717 » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 04:25:55 PM »

The Gospel is read at Vespers on Easter day alone: "Ousis opsias ti imera ekini"

No, it's also read at the Vesperal Liturgy of St. Basil the Great on Nativity Eve and Theophany Eve.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 04:29:01 PM »

But that's not just Vespers, that's a liturgy with a vesperal appendix.
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2009, 04:48:13 PM »

What I've heard:
The entry during Vespers reminds the faithful how the Old Testament righteous, in harmony with the promise of God that was manifest in prototypes and prophecies, expected the coming of the Saviour, and how He appeared in the world for the salvation of the human race. -  Fr. Seraphim Slobodskoy   

Take it or leave it. All of Vespers recalls and represents events of the Old Testament: the creation of the world, the fall into sin of the first human beings, their expulsion from Paradise, their repentance and prayer for salvation, the hope of mankind in accordance with the promise of God for a Saviour and finally, the fulfillment of that promise.
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2009, 06:57:20 PM »

I mean Great Vespers...

Sorry misunderstood your original question, the entrance is a hold over from the Cathedral Rite Vespers, it is when the Bishop would enter the altar area at that point. Attend a Vesperal Liturgy with a Bishop serving and it will make sense.

Like the origin of the other entrances where the deacon was sent to get something, (the Gospel Book and the gifts at Litrugy) and bring it into the Church, at Cathedral Vespers he was sent to get the lamp.

"...the cathedral of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople contiued to retain the ancient usage of bringing in a lamp from outside the church...The service began with the huge cathedral in complete darkness.  At the time appointed for for bringing in the lamp, the archdeacon took the censer and, accompanied by a second deacon along with twelve other deacons, processed from the sanctuary to the narthex, where burning lamps were already prepared and waiting.  The deacons took up the lamps and the archdeaconled them back into the nave of the church.  The archdeacon intoned, "The Light of Christ illumes all men," and ascended the ambo with the other deacons.  Then the cleric designated by the rubrics as the "superior of the lights" likewise took up a lamp and approaching the patriarch in the sancturay, said: "Bless, master."  The patriarch answered: "For Thou art our sanctification, O Christ our God, always, now and ever, and unto ages of ages."  The superior of the lights then lit all the lamps in the sanctuary; the subdeacons and lamplighters did the same throughout the church.  After the deacons standing on the ambo received the blessing of the patriarch, the archdeacon intoned, "Wisdom, let us attend," and they all descended the ambo and entered the sacntuary"(Uspensky Pages 32-33 Evening Worship in the Orthodox Church).

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
samkim
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2009, 07:01:58 PM »

I mean Great Vespers...

Like the origin of the other entrances where the deacon was sent to get something, (the Gospel Book and the gifts at Litrugy) and bring it into the Church, at Cathedral Vespers he was sent to get the lamp.

"...the cathedral of Hagia Sophia in Constantinople contiued to retain the ancient usage of bringing in a lamp from outside the church...The service began with the huge cathedral in complete darkness.  At the time appointed for for bringing in the lamp, the archdeacon took the censer and, accompanied by a second deacon along with twelve other deacons, processed from the sanctuary to the narthex, where burning lamps were already prepared and waiting.  The deacons took up the lamps and the archdeaconled them back into the nave of the church.  The archdeacon intoned, "The Light of Christ illumes all men," and ascended the ambo with the other deacons.  Then the cleric designated by the rubrics as the "superior of the lights" likewise took up a lamp and approaching the patriarch in the sancturay, said: "Bless, master."  The patriarch answered: "For Thou art our sanctification, O Christ our God, always, now and ever, and unto ages of ages."  The superior of the lights then lit all the lamps in the sanctuary; the subdeacons and lamplighters did the same throughout the church.  After the deacons standing on the ambo received the blessing of the patriarch, the archdeacon intoned, "Wisdom, let us attend," and they all descended the ambo and entered the sacntuary"(Uspensky Pages 32-33 Evening Worship in the Orthodox Church).

That's what I thought. Too bad we don't do that anymore (bring in a lamp).

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 07:20:56 PM »

A Gosepl is read at Vespers on Christmas, Theophany, (even if there is no Divine Liturgy appended), Good Friday, and Pascha.  I am unsure of Holy Week outside of Good Friday.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:15:53 AM by arimethea » Logged

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 09:17:49 PM »

^Admin/Mod please fix my goof Tongue

What I meant to say is a Gospel is also called for at Presanctified Mon-Wed  of Holy Week plus Vesperal Liturgy Holy Thursday and Holy Saturday.  I am unsure if the Gospel is still read on these days if just Vespers is served.  My inclination leads me to say yes.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2009, 07:04:08 PM »

The Gospel is also called for on certain feastdays during Great Lent (like the 40 martyrs).

Solia (or Solea) was actually the raised step that used to connect the Sanctuary to the Ambon (pulpit, which was situated in the middle of the Nave, but now is usually offset to the left as you face the altar table or even mounted on a pillar of the Church).  Nowadays, it is generally used to refer to the area (raised or not) in front of the iconostasis that includes the pulpit, Episcopal throne, and frequently the choir/cantor lectern(s) (right and left).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2009, 07:12:49 PM »

They do at New Skete, and in parishes that use the New Skete liturgical books.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2009, 07:30:32 PM »

I've been told by a few Greek speakers that "Gladsome Light" isn't really that good of a translation for Phos Hilaron..... Most try to describe it as an uncontainable light or a light which casts awe and amazement on those who see it.

Would be interested in seeing citations that use ἱλαρὸν in that way. Sounds anachronistic to me. The typical meaning is cheerful, happy, gay -- and, by extension, auspicious.

As to the OP: The original point of the entrance is explained in the hymn we sing during the actual entrance into the altar area. We sing about how God's metaphorical light is even better than the light we just lit.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »

They do at New Skete, and in parishes that use the New Skete liturgical books.

I was told no parishes were allowed to use their revised rites.  Has something changed or do some use them anyways or were some always allowed?

pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 08:58:15 PM »

I was told no parishes were allowed to use their revised rites.  Has something changed or do some use them anyways or were some always allowed?

I imagine that is the official line and probably the current practice. I don't go to OCA parishes much anymore because my wife can't stand the music, but back in the early 90s, my OCA home parish always used the New Skete book for Saturday's Great Vespers.

Deacon Lance
Warned
Archon

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 09:11:19 PM »

I am curious, how did you like their revision compared with standard practice?

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 11:38:40 PM »

Another ignorant question: do Antiochians hold their services in Greek?

We do 95% English, some Arabic, and some Greek.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2009, 02:11:46 AM »

Re. Translation of Gladsome Light

My Greek is not good, especially first millennium Greek, but I would submit "illuminating" as to what "ilaron" conveys.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 10:33:35 AM »

My Greek is not good, especially first millennium Greek, but I would submit "illuminating" as to what "ilaron" conveys.
"ιλαρος" means "cheerful" or "merry" and is where the English word "hilarious" comes from.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BC%B1%CE%BB%CE%B1%CF%81%CF%8C%CF%82

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
admiralnick
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »

I've been told by a few Greek speakers that "Gladsome Light" isn't really that good of a translation for Phos Hilaron..... Most try to describe it as an uncontainable light or a light which casts awe and amazement on those who see it.

Would be interested in seeing citations that use ἱλαρὸν in that way. Sounds anachronistic to me. The typical meaning is cheerful, happy, gay -- and, by extension, auspicious.

As to the OP: The original point of the entrance is explained in the hymn we sing during the actual entrance into the altar area. We sing about how God's metaphorical light is even better than the light we just lit.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was anachronistic, the people that were telling me this were native greek speakers (e.g. born and raised in Greece) with English as their second language and they may not have had the right words for english, but that was simply what I was told and remember to this day.

-Nick

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2009, 02:00:47 PM »

"ιλαρος" means "cheerful"

This is precisely the way it was defined to me when I first asked.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »

To correct my Reply #34 and and confirm "ozgeorge"'s Reply #35, my mother checked a contemporary Greek-American dictionary.  It translates "ilaron" as "merriment."  So "gladsome" is not so bad.  I've seen a recent liturgical translation as "joyous," too.

Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2009, 11:22:21 PM »

'Gladsome" was used in the original English Book of Common Prayer, and is the term still used in the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer.
I assume the English word "hilarious" comes from the Greek "hilarion".

IIRC, the Phos Hilarion marks the time when Sunday begins for the parish where the vespers is being served.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:23:38 PM by Tallitot » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 11:58:42 PM »

The Arabic version follows your translation.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2009, 03:03:34 AM »

I wasn't sure if I should ask this question here, or start a new thread, but here it goes:

How does the entrance work for vesperal liturgy when it's a hierarchical liturgy?  LIke for christmas eve for example.  

I have seen a bishop come out during the phos ilaron, but i'm trying to see if anyone else has seen any variations, and can describe them to me...it would be helpful for a friend of mine who has to deal with this, coming up very soon.  

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2009, 09:02:47 AM »

I wasn't sure if I should ask this question here, or start a new thread, but here it goes:

How does the entrance work for vesperal liturgy when it's a hierarchical liturgy?  LIke for christmas eve for example.   

I have seen a bishop come out during the phos ilaron, but i'm trying to see if anyone else has seen any variations, and can describe them to me...it would be helpful for a friend of mine who has to deal with this, coming up very soon. 

For Vesperal Liturgy, if the hiererarch is serving (and not "presiding from the throne"), then he will be entering at that point, from what I recall.  But I'll double-check my rubrics when I get to work...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:03:10 AM by Fr. George » Logged

---------------------
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »

How does the entrance work for vesperal liturgy when it's a hierarchical liturgy?  LIke for christmas eve for example.   

For Vesperal Liturgy, if the hiererarch is serving (and not "presiding from the throne"), then he will be entering at that point, from what I recall.  But I'll double-check my rubrics when I get to work...

Yah this is what I remember also.  He enters with his mandia though?  or without? 

And, if he's already at the throne, then he would have entered with his mandia before the reading of the psalm right? 

Just trying to make sure...as many details as you can remember (or find) would be most helpful. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2009, 02:07:32 PM »

Yah this is what I remember also.  He enters with his mandia though?  or without? 

And, if he's already at the throne, then he would have entered with his mandia before the reading of the psalm right? 

Just trying to make sure...as many details as you can remember (or find) would be most helpful. 
If it is the Vesperal Liturgy the Bishop is fully vested before the start of Vespers and is outside (in the Greek practice, always at his chair). During the entrance and at "now that we have come" he descends his chair and goes to the middle of the Solea and begins to bless the four corners. At "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" the Bishop enters the sanctuary.

This seems to be common amongst all traditions, after this is where diversion is found. In the Russian practice the Bishop would do the normal censing with the chanting of the Eis-Polla. In the Greek practice the Bishop simply goes to the high place for the prokiemenon and Old Testament readings.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 02:08:29 PM by arimethea » Logged

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: