OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 12:00:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Veni Veni Emmanuel  (Read 1751 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: December 10, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »

I wanted to share the Latin version of this beloved hymn (O Come, O Come Emmanuel):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4&feature=player_embedded

We sing the hymn at our parish every week as we go up to receive the blessed bread during the Nativity fast.

"O come, Thou Day-star, come and cheer

Our spirits by Thine advent here"
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 10:00:12 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:10:09 PM »

One of my favorite Advent hymns :-) Very beautiful, thank you for sharing!
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:11:57 PM »

Absolutely beautiful!

Oh how I do love Latin!

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 10:25:31 PM »

I learnt this hymn in primary school and it was sung every Christmas at the Catholic Church I used to attend. It's a truly beautiful hymn. Thanks for posting.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:32:05 PM »

Beautiful hymn.  It is has always been one of my favourites, behind Gaudete though.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »

Beautiful.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 04:06:16 PM »

As a Latin scholar, Veni Emmanuel is one of the great gems of Christian poetics of the Latin West.  It ranks up there with Coelius Sedulius' "A solis ortus cardine" and Ambrose's "Conditur alme siderum".

As an Eastern Christian, I am saddened that I do not hear these hymns liturgically at this time of year.  Oh, well.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Vlad
Elder

Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 12:24:02 AM »

As a Latin scholar, Veni Emmanuel is one of the great gems of Christian poetics of the Latin West.  It ranks up there with Coelius Sedulius' "A solis ortus cardine" and Ambrose's "Conditur alme siderum".

As an Eastern Christian, I am saddened that I do not hear these hymns liturgically at this time of year.  Oh, well.

Your not missing much. the last time I was at Mass during the Christmas season we did Feliz Navidad. The Catholic Church dropped most of these hymns from its list since Vatican II now all they do are sappy songs. My last Catholic Priest hated anything to do with Latin.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:26:07 AM by Vlad » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:27:19 PM »

As a Latin scholar, Veni Emmanuel is one of the great gems of Christian poetics of the Latin West.  It ranks up there with Coelius Sedulius' "A solis ortus cardine" and Ambrose's "Conditur alme siderum".

As an Eastern Christian, I am saddened that I do not hear these hymns liturgically at this time of year.  Oh, well.
We sing "Veni Emanuel" after Nativity Liturgy is finished, while the people are receiving a blessing from the priest, and "Come All Ye Faithful" as a pre-Communion hymn. It's about as close as we can get.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 05:00:23 PM »

As a Latin scholar, Veni Emmanuel is one of the great gems of Christian poetics of the Latin West.  It ranks up there with Coelius Sedulius' "A solis ortus cardine" and Ambrose's "Conditur alme siderum".

As an Eastern Christian, I am saddened that I do not hear these hymns liturgically at this time of year.  Oh, well.

Your not missing much. the last time I was at Mass during the Christmas season we did Feliz Navidad. The Catholic Church dropped most of these hymns from its list since Vatican II now all they do are sappy songs. My last Catholic Priest hated anything to do with Latin.
Not the case at my Parish. For midnight mass the priest celebrates ad orientum, with latin and other traditional Catholic music. Its absolutely sublime.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 05:09:15 PM »

We sing "Veni Emanuel" after Nativity Liturgy is finished, while the people are receiving a blessing from the priest, and "Come All Ye Faithful" as a pre-Communion hymn. It's about as close as we can get.

That is the first time I've heard of a Christmas Carol being sung before Communion in the Orthodox Church.   Huh
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 05:35:59 PM »

In my parish we sing "Silent Night" as the pre-communion hymn and "O Come All Ye Faithful" as people venerate the cross when they depart. Our bells are also programmed to play "Silent Night" before Liturgy begins.

Hearing church bells play "Silent Night" really is quite lovely. Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Christianus
Elder

Faith: ¿esse an non esse Orthodoxus?

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 03:30:42 AM »

I wanted to share the Latin version of this beloved hymn (O Come, O Come Emmanuel):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4&feature=player_embedded

We sing the hymn at our parish every week as we go up to receive the blessed bread during the Nativity fast.

"O come, Thou Day-star, come and cheer

Our spirits by Thine advent here"
I love this hymn.

I was such a huge traditional protestant, but these Latin hymns converted me to true christianity, like Mozart's requiem, Gregorian chants,  traditional hymns like Veni veni Emmanuel, one of my most favorite hymns ever.
And when I finally went to a roman catholic church I felt so betrayed , because they didn't even use Latin in the services, and then I went to another church, where they did sing a few Latin hymns,later I tried talking to the priest in Latin which he didn't even know, and asked him what he thought about orthodoxy, of which he told me he had no opinion.
but the orthodox church still had these beautiful hymns as the standard.... but in Greek........
Hopefully one day there'll be a Latin speaking orthodox church again, if there be one, I definitively would become orthodox.

Pray for me fratres in Christo, that I have the strength to learn another classical language after Latin (i.e. Greek), so I could enjoy in the great Greek hymns like I would have in the roman catholic churches.
Jake C
Catechumen

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 03:51:50 AM »

The English version has always been my favorite Christmas carol. I remember being utterly spellbound by it the first time I heard it in my aunt's Presbyterian church as a kid. This Latin version is absolutely otherworldly. Cheers to the OP.

In Christ,

Jake

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, teach me Thy statutes.
Tags: nativity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: