OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 04:02:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Hebrew  (Read 1457 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: December 10, 2009, 02:34:21 PM »

Everyone knows that the Jews do not say the Name of God but, instead, substitute "Adonai" in its place.  We often see this written as LORD in our English language Bibles.  The Name of God is, as we know, a statement, and a very basic one, at that.

What did the ancient Hebrews (and Jews today, for that matter who speak Hebrew) use in place of of "I am..." when speaking about themselves, or does this phrase structure structure simply not exist in Hebrew?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
theoforos

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »

Everyone knows that the Jews do not say the Name of God but, instead, substitute "Adonai" in its place.  We often see this written as LORD in our English language Bibles.  The Name of God is, as we know, a statement, and a very basic one, at that.

What did the ancient Hebrews (and Jews today, for that matter who speak Hebrew) use in place of of "I am..." when speaking about themselves, or does this phrase structure structure simply not exist in Hebrew?

The ancient way of pronouncing 'I am' in Hebrew was 'yahveh'. This pronunciation disappeared, and according to some, the reason was the reluctance to pronounce the name of God. So, the pronunciation changed from 'yahveh' to 'yihyeh'. 
believer74

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:16:16 AM »

What is Orthodox (Christian) teaching or custom on pronouncing God's proper name?  I always liked the Jewish custom of not saying God's proper name. 
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »

It doesn't exist in Hebrew: you just say "I -" e.g. I am Hebrew would be "ani/anokhi (there are two words for "I") 'ivri"

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »

What is Orthodox (Christian) teaching or custom on pronouncing God's proper name?  I always liked the Jewish custom of not saying God's proper name. 
God's proper name is Jesus, because only in the incarnation does He properly have a name:the whole idea behind saying "I AM."

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 11:39:53 AM »

This link http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/hopko/how_we_speak_of_god_part_1 is the first in a series of podcasts that Fr Thomas Hopko gives about God's name. I found the series fascinating and helpful.
believer74

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »

Thanks!
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 12:13:06 AM »

I heard or read somewhere that the LXX uses the word "Lord" as well, and Jews made that translation.

I read or heard that the reason why the New Testament uses the word "Lord" was because it was following the tradition found in the LXX family of texts.

ICXC NIKA

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
Rafa999
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 12:52:12 AM »

No, the LXX used God's name in GREEK letters, the "Lord" (Kurios) thing crept in later. This is big for one of my friends, he couldn't as a Jew believe in parts of the NT for a long time because of the Kurios thing. Aramaic has "MarYah" which is the abreviated form of the sacrd name of God (the exact pronunciation has been lost, I personally believe YAHVEH is the proper pronounciation because of the "Yah" part in MarYah and because the samaritans wrote the Holy name with this pronunciation).

Jesus= Eshua (Aramaic) = Yeshua (Hebrew)

"Yeshua" means "YHWH Saves". His name contains his divine function and mission.

I am NOT a representative of the ACOE. Ignore my posts
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: