OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 07:54:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing to Be Orthodox After Infant Baptism?  (Read 824 times) Average Rating: 0
NewOrtho

Faith: Catholic (SLOWLY going towards Orthodoxy)

« on: December 10, 2009, 12:02:41 AM »

In the West, as I'm sure you are all aware of, there is the separation of the sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation, where an infant is baptized, then is confirmed later in life.  Tied with this practice is the belief that the person is making, in theory, a conscious decision in having faith in Jesus Christ, being Catholic, etc. 

How is this seen in Orthodoxy (or even Eastern Catholicism), where Baptism and Chrismation occur together for the infant?  Is there a time when they formally choose to be Orthodox?  Or is it seen as a natural progression in a process started at infancy, with the faith of the parents/godparents substituting, then moving to the actual person (am I making sense?)?
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 12:06:16 AM »

AFAIK, there isn't a specific time when the child grows up when they are required to affirm their faith in the Church in a public manner.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:07:13 AM by Ortho_cat » Logged
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 12:06:55 AM »

Or is it seen as a natural progression in a process started at infancy, with the faith of the parents/godparents substituting, then moving to the actual person (am I making sense?)?

This is how i've understood it to be.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 12:39:51 AM »

Or is it seen as a natural progression in a process started at infancy, with the faith of the parents/godparents substituting, then moving to the actual person (am I making sense?)?

You got it! Smiley

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
NewOrtho

Faith: Catholic (SLOWLY going towards Orthodoxy)

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 01:03:47 AM »

Thanks for the quick help!
Tags: infant baptism baptism Chrismation 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: