OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:58:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rite of Illyricum and Pannonia (Noricum too, perhaps?)  (Read 1026 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« on: December 08, 2009, 04:07:04 AM »

Is anybody familiar with the rites used in Illyricum and Pannonia before the advent of the Slavs and of the  Hungarians and before the consolidation of their religious identities?
I was reading in a study published by a Romanian Greek-Catholic, that there are still a couple of sacramentaries-one of Salzburg, I think- that witness the existence of a hybrid gallo-romano-constantinopolitan rite in these areas.For instance the Great Blessing of the Waters on Theophany was basically, the Latin translation of the one done in Constantinople.
I'd be interested in it, since this would shed some light as to the rite used by a part, at least, of the proto-Romanians, before the full import of the Constantinopolitan rite through the Bulgarian Church (IX-XII centuries).
So, is anybody aware of any materials on the subject, especially on the Salzburg sacramentary?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:07:30 AM by augustin717 » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:04:11 AM »

Would that be at all related to the rite of the church of Thessaloniki?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:16:54 AM »

Is anybody familiar with the rites used in Illyricum and Pannonia before the advent of the Slavs and of the  Hungarians and before the consolidation of their religious identities?
I was reading in a study published by a Romanian Greek-Catholic, that there are still a couple of sacramentaries-one of Salzburg, I think- that witness the existence of a hybrid gallo-romano-constantinopolitan rite in these areas.For instance the Great Blessing of the Waters on Theophany was basically, the Latin translation of the one done in Constantinople.
I'd be interested in it, since this would shed some light as to the rite used by a part, at least, of the proto-Romanians, before the full import of the Constantinopolitan rite through the Bulgarian Church (IX-XII centuries).
So, is anybody aware of any materials on the subject, especially on the Salzburg sacramentary?

The Romanians were already using the Constantinople rite, as the Scythian monks quote the DL of St. Basil.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:03:18 PM »

That might be true for the extra-carpathian territories, but I really doubt that such was the case in the West and N-W.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: