OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:17:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saint Irene Chrysovalantou monastery in Lykovrisi, Attica, Greece  (Read 4328 times) Average Rating: 0
ma2000
Elder

Faith: ORTHODOX
Jurisdiction: ROMANIAN

Saint Anthony The Great

« on: December 07, 2009, 05:10:35 AM »

Hello!

I have a friend who who loves Saint Irene Chrysovalantou and wants to go to her monastery in Lykovrisi.
She found this article in English: Link , but other than that, the information about the monastery is limited.
She already bought an airplane ticket to Thessaloniki so probably will have to take a bus or train from there.
She would like to know what is the best way to get there. Also, the monastery respects the Old Calendar. Is it under the Patriarch of Constantinopole?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 05:11:22 AM by ma2000 » Logged

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:20:13 AM »

She has to get to Athens.
From Athens, the nearest train station is Kifisia. There is a bus service from Kifisia which passes near the monastery, but I'm not sure of the timetable.
A taxi ride from Kifisia would be about 15 minutes.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ma2000
Elder

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »

Is the monastery canonical?

Asemănându-te obiceiurilor râvnitorului Ilie şi urmând Botezătorului pe drepte cărări, Părinte Antonie, te-ai făcut locuitor pustiului şi ai întărit lumea cu rugăciunile tale. Pentru aceasta, roagă-te lui Hristos Dumnezeu, să mântuiască sufletele noastre.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »

From the Kifisia Subway Station, the neighborhood map is here and in Greek.

Using the Athens Bus Trip Planner, the B9 Bus seems to be the best bet.  They rename streets in Athens so frequently, my 2005/2006 map of Athens is out fo date.  Undecided
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:29:49 PM by SolEX01 » Logged
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 06:26:36 PM »

Is the monastery canonical?

Lets rephrase the question: "Is the monastery in Communion with the Church of Greece and the Ecumenical Patriarchate?"
The answer is "no". The monastery belongs to the Old Calendarist "Genuine Orthodox Church of Greece".

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ma2000
Elder

Saint Anthony The Great

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:42:57 AM »

Thank you all for your replies!

God bless!

stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 04:53:28 AM »

I venerated Saint Irene Chrysovalantou Icon several years back here in Chicago..There use to be a Old calendar Greek Church in Lake view Neighborhood on wave land one block west of south port ,the church was sold to a condo developer ,everybody including the Bishop returned to the
new calender church from what i heard....Holy Saint Irene Chrysovalantou pray for us....

It had the most beautiful written Holy Icons framed all over the Church walls, Loved the Church was sorry to see it go ...while it was still active and when The Holy Icon of Saint Irene Chrysovalantou was there for veneration ,there were many new calendar Greeks there venerating the holy image but also condemning the old calendar greeks and they were very vocal about it....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 05:04:11 AM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Phoenix73
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 06:15:29 AM »

Hi I went there in 2007,

Use public transport to get to Kifisia, then I got to the moastery via taxi, it did not cost much at all, there was not a regular bus service running then.

Smiley

Tags: Saint Irene Chrysovalantou  monastery  Lykovrisi 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: