OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 08:11:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LORD OF THE ROAC  (Read 6624 times) Average Rating: 0
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2003, 01:02:59 PM »

Well, I still have not seen the third film. I loved the first two, but, since ania is bringing up disappointments, my biggest is that Tom Bombadil and his wife Goldberry were left out.

However, I realize Jackson could not really be entirely faithful to the books without producing a 30 or 40-hour film.

Tis a pity, though.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2003, 02:37:11 PM »

Well, I still have not seen the third film. I loved the first two, but, since ania is bringing up disappointments, my biggest is that Tom Bombadil and his wife Goldberry were left out.

I agree--would've liked to have seen Tom and Goldberry.  Also, I wish he would have filmed the "Scouring of the Shire".  Oh well.  Jackson still did an outstanding job.  Smiley

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2003, 02:39:48 PM »

One day, I'll read the whole book into a mic, and sell it for profit.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2003, 02:49:12 PM »

However, I realize Jackson could not really be entirely faithful to the books without producing a 30 or 40-hour film.

Tis a pity, though.

While I too lament the ommission of Tom Bombadil, Jackson made a good point when asked why he didn't film it.  Tom Bombadil is very much a literary character, one that sticks in the head while the rest of the story is being read.  However, on film, he would largely be forgotten and the whole scene would be reduced to, "What the heck was that guy doing traipsing through the woods singing?"

Plus, since Tom handles the Ring and is unaffected by it, it would defeat Jackson's showcasing that everyone who handles the Ring is somehow affected by it, even though in the books Tom and Faramir escape its influence.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2003, 02:52:18 PM »

Maybe, but I still think it's too bad he left Tom out.

Robin Williams would have been good in the part.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2003, 03:01:35 PM »

Plus, since Tom handles the Ring and is unaffected by it, it would defeat Jackson's showcasing that everyone who handles the Ring is somehow affected by it, even though in the books Tom and Faramir escape its influence.

Good point--I was telling my wife the same thing about Tom and how he was able to see Frodo when he put on the ring.

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2003, 03:02:11 PM »

That would have been funny.  Wink

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2003, 03:07:17 PM »

That would have been funny.  Wink

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY...A PERFECT TOM!!!

Yeah, remember Robin Williams in the early portion of Jumanji?

When I saw that I thought, "Tom Bombadil!"

- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2003, 02:31:53 AM »

Well, I've read the trilogy, multiple times, & I know in the end it tells about all that happens to everyone, which is why i was a bit disapointed that it only focused on the hobbits, rather than say what happened to Aragon, Gimli, etc...  Also it didn't say that Sam, toward the end of his life, also went to the Elves.  

Actually there isn't that much in the books that wasn't in the movie.  In the book it just mentions that Gimli & Legolas were to travel together, and there is nothing more with Aragorn after they leave for the Shire.  Everything that you are remembering(including Sam going to the Grey Havens) is from the Appendix, not the novel itself.  Of course, Jackson did choose to bring a few things from the appendix into the body of the story(most of the Parts with Arwen) and it would have been nice to have included these things.  Perhaps a few will be on the extended DVD.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2003, 10:27:43 AM »

There is a rumor on THEONERING.net that the Extended verstion of ROTK will be 4 hours and 50 minutes long!   Shocked   Apparently this is based on comments that both Peter Jackson and Ian McKellen have made.

Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2003, 01:39:01 PM »

Tis a pity, though.

Tom and Goldie - while interesting and fun were not necessary to the story line, hence they were the first to go.  Tolkein himself said that they were an aside within the story.  I need to re-read the books no after having watched all three movies. Smiley I'm sure they will be fresh and new now Smiley.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2003, 03:41:34 PM »

I really want to learn Elvish.  Anyone know of any classes offered anywhere?  

(I'm glad my wife is not here right now -- she'd call me a big DORK!)

Here you go, I thought I could find something:

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/qcourse.htm

An on-line down loadable course in Quenya.  I found it and alot more here at "Ardalambion" "Of the tongues of Arda":

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/

Ebor (geeking all the way.)

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2003, 03:45:20 PM »

I'd like to see a good Dune movie or a good version of the Chroniles of Narnia or even one of Anne McCafferys books done into a movie. Smiley

From the New Zealand news service, an article about the up coming movie of "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe":

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,2761539a1870,00.html

Ebor

Added those pesky url tags.   John
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 09:03:55 AM by prodromos » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2003, 05:30:07 PM »

COOL!!  I hope that he does a good job!  Nothing worse than a bad version of a good story.  ei: Dune.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: