OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:25:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Metal Music  (Read 17395 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2009, 05:02:36 AM »

If we're talking Christian black metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJqTrfkx5E

But Antestor isn't corny enough for this thread. Tongue

Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2009, 05:03:08 AM »

I adore metal and have a massive death, black and thrash metal collection. Among the many anti-Christian albums in my collection I have one called 'Dechristianize' by a band called Vital Remains which has songs with titles such as 'At War With God,' 'Hammer Down The Nails,' and 'Saviour To None, Failure To All.' My favourite song by the Swedish thrash/death metal band At The Gates is 'Raped By The Light Of Christ,' which has some beautiful guitar melodies and is really well composed. I also have a huge collection of nihilistic black metal such as Gorgoroth, who have songs such as 'Twilight Of The Idols.' One of my favourite bands, Amon Amarth, have a song which describes (and glorifies) a party of Vikings pillaging a Christian village, raping the women and burning the church to the ground. It's an awesome song, too. I can practice artistic distancing when I listen to music - I don't have to agree with the message of the lyrics to appreciate it musically, from a compositional and instrumental standpoint. I have to admire the existential consciousness of the lyrics, though.

Friend, this is gonna be something you don't want to hear; It's not meant to be judgmental towards you, but it's gonna be harsh and it's something that needs to be said.  What you've described is not only Satanic, but absolutely detrimental.  If you think you can truly listen to this Satanic music and not have it affect your nous, you not only lack discernment but you lack even a basic understanding of your faith.  As your friend and fellow brother-in-Christ, I urge you to please reconsider.

I agree 100%, and I agree with the spirit of love and compassion in which Gabe's exhortation was made.

Philippians 4:8 is a good verse to consider in this discussion.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2009, 05:09:55 AM »

If we're talking Christian black metal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJqTrfkx5E

But Antestor isn't corny enough for this thread. Tongue

I decided to click on this one, just out of curiosity to listen to "Christian black metal."

It sounds like a man being tortured incomprehensibly asking for Christ's salvation.  Why do they have to scream like that?  That is not singing.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2009, 05:12:48 AM »

I wonder what the incidence between heavy metal singers and some type of throat cancer would be.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2009, 05:14:44 AM »

I caution people to stay away from a lot of this material.  I hope I'm not causing people grief by posting this stuff.

Makes no sense whatsoever to caution people to stay away from something and then turn around and give access to or display it.  And if I were a mod, I would lock this extremely disturbing and satanic thread;  having videos being posted of extremely anti-Christian blasphemy is unacceptable!!!! 

Agreed!

Please people, feel free to tell us why you like this type of music without promoting it by displaying demonic lyrics and posting links to these disturbing songs and videos.

Rosehip, don't even entertain this stuff!

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
DaveInCSA

Faith: Anglican with Orthodox leanings
Jurisdiction: Dixie

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »

I'm a guitar player who still likes to put everything on 11 and wail away with my AXE!!

But there's no reason for a person following Christ, who desires to grow in Christ to listen to that garbage. It will effect you. Whether the band believes the drivel they are singing about or not, it will effect you.

Back in the 80's my favorite band was Iron Maiden. I was under the influence of something but I honestly saw this. As they came out and started to play, something like a wave moved from the front of the stage over the floor and then went up the side section seating. As this wave went through the crowd, people went absolutely crazy. Just nuts. I can still see it in my head as I'm typing this.

Eph 2:2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 02:16:11 PM by DaveInCSA » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »

I'm a guitar player who still likes to put everything on 11 and wail away with my AXE!!

But there's no reason for a person following Christ, who desires to grow in Christ to listen to that garbage. It will effect you. Whether the band believes the drivel they are singing about or not, it will effect you.

Back in the 80's my favorite band was Iron Maiden. I was under the influence of something but I honestly saw this. As they came out and started to play, something like a wave moved from the front of the stage over the floor and then went up the side section seating. As this wave went through the crowd, people went absolutely crazy. Just nuts. I can still see it in my head as I'm typing this.

Eph 2:2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,  

So, what you're saying here is that your story isn't worth the pixels on my screen, so to speak.  I do not deny that you saw something, but by your own admission you already had demons playing with your mind. 

Maiden is still my favorite band.  The only wave I ever see at their concerts is a wave of euphoria at hearing some great music played well. Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
DaveInCSA

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2009, 02:50:58 PM »

So, what you're saying here is that your story isn't worth the pixels on my screen, so to speak.  I do not deny that you saw something, but by your own admission you already had demons playing with your mind. 

Maiden is still my favorite band.  The only wave I ever see at their concerts is a wave of euphoria at hearing some great music played well. Smiley

I'm only conveying what I saw. You can disregard if you like.

I no longer own any of their stuff but have watched a few YouTube clips of concert footage. They are still going strong!
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2009, 02:56:53 PM »

Indeed, they are.  What "dinosaur rock band" plays their new album in its entirety in concert nowadays?  All w/o any radio airplay whatsoever? 

No one.

Except the mighty Maiden, that is!

Up the Irons! Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Rosehip
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2009, 03:24:23 PM »

I think I can safely say it isn't even a temptation. I find the stuff sinister, lacking in beauty and refinement, and the ability to create in a person the desire for holiness-not to speak of boring. I think it's pretty much a no-brainer.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:25:11 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »

Everybody needs to calm down!  Metal can be dangerous, but there is also such a thing as assigning something power.  The more horrified you act, the more powerful it becomes.

Anyway, there's nothing inherently wrong with the style.  Plenty of bands aren't Satanic.  Many just deal with dark themes, which obviously the Bible is comfortable with, if that's your concern.

So everybody can stop ragging on the style.  If you don't like some lyrical themes then fine, but the genre itself is just an acquired taste.  I hate reggae but I'm not going to throw a fit about it.  I was posting things to give examples, but I'll stop.  Just stop bringing up pop bands in a death metal thread!
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2009, 09:34:46 PM »

Mine, too. Up the irons!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Feanor

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2009, 01:40:13 AM »

The reason why I enjoy heavy metal so much, particularly styles such as death metal and black metal, is because not only do I find it uplifting, empowering and enjoyable on an entertainment level, but I also find it incredibly beautiful in many forms. The music posted and discussed here so far has not been beautiful, mainly because I was having some fun scaring the other members of this board - as was Alveus, I'm sure. :p

The melodies in many death metal and black metal songs are sublime. The riffs and the rhythm of the drums are powerful and energetic, but the actual melodies are often beautiful as well. Sometimes such beauty is only subtle, such as a single guitar melody hidden beneath the louder riffs of the rhythm guitar, which you notice amongst the mix and are instantly smacked in the face with reverence and awe of such beauty. In other cases choirs and symphonic elements provide that subtle beauty, like in Virgin Black's recent albums which are all accompanied by the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra. Emperor's classic black metal album, 'In The Nightside Eclipse' makes use of beautiful choirs which sing incredible melodies that soar above the cacophony of drums and guitar and the brutal vocals. The juxtaposition of such powerful, brutal force and such clear, soft beauty is simply breathtaking. This beauty is found in death/black metal without the use of symphonic arrangements, too. Insomnium, At The Gates and Dark Tranquility, for example, incorporate beautiful guitar melodies into their music, which form complex arrangements which are not only sublime to listen to but are also intellectually stimulating. Unlike pop music which usually consists of the same melody repeated (except for the chorus, and 'bridge'), metal songs consist of many different melodies interwoven, changing, shifting, taking the listener on a journey. In black metal these melodies are usually very simple and repetitive, but that is because black metal seeks to create an atmosphere, whereas death metal (which features complex and intricate melodies) seeks to create stimulating music which is also powerful and uplifting.

The distorted guitar sound is an extremely powerful sound. It is brutal, but in its brutality there is honesty - it is hard to explain, but in many ways it is like the poetry of W.H Auden, creating sublime beauty from something which is meant to be ugly, telling the truth. Distorted guitar noise usually is not pretty, but when done correctly it is fantastic. There is so much intensity and energy in it that it is hard to sit still while listening to a truly epic metal guitar riff.  It fills you with that feeling. The powerful throb of the drums has the same effect.

Art is meant to paint a truthful picture of reality and metal music does this so well. It reflects aspects of the human condition which are usually neglected by pop or rock music. The anti-Christian, 'Satanic' death/black metal bands are overrepresented. Metal lyrics are usually about the darker side of the human condition. The messages are often very existentialist and deal with themes of loss, bereavement, love, moratlity, the unknown, inevitability, internal conflict and torment, betrayal, sorrow, madness, hidden demons, etc. A lot of theselyrics are very reflective on the nature of humanity and the human condition as a whole, expressing sorrow, doubt or fear for the human race and the bleak state of the world. Black metal has similar themes, but themes dealing with nature - and great reverence of the natural world, of mountains, forests, the cosmos, the wilderness - are very common in black metal as well. Death/black metal lyrics are usually quite deep and profound, using beautiful creative language, metaphors and imagery. I'll post some examples below:

Insomnium's Mortal Share:
For the part of man
Is to take the sombre path
Stumble in the dark
Stray amidst the dust and ash

Like forgotten ghosts
Drifting in the driving wind
Dashing towards the void
Whirling blindly through the night

Like water flung from the highest cliff
We fall,
lunge,
swirl,
dissolve,
and fade away
Down into the unknown

Agalloch - I Am The Wooden Doors
When the heart is a grave filled with blood
And the soul is a cold and haunted shall of lost hope
When the voice of pride has been silenced
And dignity's fires are but cinders
. . .their grandeur shall remain untainted

It is this grandeur that protects the spirit within
From the plight of this broken world, from the wounds in her song
I wish to die with my will and spirit intact
The will that inspired me to write these words
Seek not the fallen to unlock these wooden doors

Dark Tranquility - The Mundane And The Magic
Seen through these dreamless eyes
Blind buildings stark to the sky
Silhouettes as dividing walls
Guarding the eternal secret
Where is the flame to haunt you
Who do you answer to
My lies are always wishes
Lies that make me
See beyond the rationale
Accept the fate that nothing is meant to be
Be the least connected
Stay true to the last original

In latter days as time will find you
Memories will never let you get closer
The silent sighs in useless company
Wish for darkness and death again
In the face of ignorance and fear
I cast it right back
Some things were never there to begin with
Objectivity is truth denied

Many of these bands also have lyrics which deal with the ways of the ancients - many Scandinavian bands sing about their heritage: Viking mythology and history. Amon Amarth are as example of such a band already discussed in this thread. There are lots of Eastern European death/black metal bands whose lyrics cover themes of paganism and the ancient stories and spirituality of their forefathers, and these bands often make use of folk instruments in their music, such as bagpipes and violins.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2009, 01:43:45 AM »

If you like Insomnium, I've heard that the new Swallow the Sun CD is really good.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2009, 03:59:13 AM »

Well, risking accusations of being judgmental, etc... here goes:

Things like this bring out the Rasta spirit in me, which compels me to figuratively burn wickedness, foolery, and evil. The Rastaman often simply proclaims "More Fire!" when he sights devilish works. So, in regards to all of this "death metal," "black metal," etc., I gotta say: "MORE FIRE!" I burn the works of the devil without apology. So deal with that however you want to deal with it.

And for those of you who want to cleanse your mind from the evil philosophies and devil music promoted on this thread, please check out these positive and righteous vibrations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfyvSM-6c14&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB8mZMEo_6k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPvMm5wXo5A&feature=youtube_gdata

Yeah man, no devil workers can bring me down!!!

Selam
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:04:30 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2009, 04:31:38 AM »

Feanor,

It seems to me you show a lot of maturity and discernment with the art of the music itself.  With that I say bravo, and I'm proud of you and I wish more people would think like you.

One thing though.  And this is not just your music, but also hip hop, some pop, some of the recent R&B, modern Reggae, Rock, all great music, and yet some of the music is associated with something provocative.  And yet you have teens going out and buying this stuff, and on top of that it seems to control them and perhaps even allow them to act like some of this stuff is okay in a meme cultural sense.  And what's worse are the artists that exploit that for their own business, and they don't care if they set bad examples, rather than focus on trying to keep the beauty of the music itself with beautiful poetry about human nature.

Do you see what I'm saying?  I think a lot of people might be worried about them.  What do you think about that?  I'm sure this exploitation also occur in Black Metal and Death Metal, No?

God bless.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 04:32:26 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Feanor

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2009, 07:48:46 AM »

Death metal is not the work of the devil, Gebre. This is a particularly beautiful death metal song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBXBnpiMuqA

It has some great lyrics:

The night has a thousand eyes,
And the day but one;
Yet the light of the bright world dies
With the dying sun

The mind has a thousand eyes,
And the heart but one:
Yet the light of a whole life dies
When love is done

One thing though.  And this is not just your music, but also hip hop, some pop, some of the recent R&B, modern Reggae, Rock, all great music, and yet some of the music is associated with something provocative.  And yet you have teens going out and buying this stuff, and on top of that it seems to control them and perhaps even allow them to act like some of this stuff is okay in a meme cultural sense.  And what's worse are the artists that exploit that for their own business, and they don't care if they set bad examples, rather than focus on trying to keep the beauty of the music itself with beautiful poetry about human nature.

Do you see what I'm saying?  I think a lot of people might be worried about them.  What do you think about that?  I'm sure this exploitation also occur in Black Metal and Death Metal, No?

God bless.

I think the primary reason for the massive popularity of deviant, provocative and rebellious material in modern music is the fact that the youth of today's society strongly feel the need to rebel. Their social values are very different from those of the older, more conservative generations, and so they challenge the status quo.

Nonetheless I think that stuff like promoting gang violence and drug use in hip hop falls outside this entirely, and is just capitalizing on a very stupid concept which has become 'cool' amongst the kiddies for some reason. I can't for the life of me understand the appeal of 'gangsta' culture, but it seems to succeed commercially amongst today's youth. I don't understand that at all.

It certainly happens in metal as well... many of the artists who promote 'Satanic' ideals are simply doing it for attention and money.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 07:50:28 AM by Feanor » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »

Metallica?  Megadeth?  I thought this conversation was about death metal!  Posers!  Tongue

Doh! I totally forgot when I last posted that this thread was about death metal. I was posting as though it was just about metal generally.  angel

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
DaveInCSA

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2009, 10:34:33 AM »

I'm actually more of a Prog Metal guy myself.

I'm a big Dream Theater fan. Their 'Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory' CD is probably the most amazing prog-metal achievement EVER! Sadly their later stuff has been so so.

I'm also like Killswitch Engage. Not sure where they get classified.
Feanor

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »

I agree about DT - their have dropped significantly in quality over the last few years. Stuff like Images and Words, Metr. Part II, Six Degrees, Train of Thought... those are all great albums. DT were my favourite band for a long time, but that was years ago.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2009, 02:00:15 PM »

Mine, too. Up the irons!
Get the Led out. Cheesy

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2009, 02:12:44 PM »

The reason why I enjoy heavy metal so much, particularly styles such as death metal and black metal, is because not only do I find it uplifting, empowering and enjoyable on an entertainment level, but I also find it incredibly beautiful in many forms.

Agalloch - I Am The Wooden Doors
When the heart is a grave filled with blood
And the soul is a cold and haunted shall of lost hope
When the voice of pride has been silenced
And dignity's fires are but cinders
. . .their grandeur shall remain untainted

It is this grandeur that protects the spirit within
From the plight of this broken world, from the wounds in her song
I wish to die with my will and spirit intact
The will that inspired me to write these words
Seek not the fallen to unlock these wooden doors

Many of these bands also have lyrics which deal with the ways of the ancients - many Scandinavian bands sing about their heritage: Viking mythology and history. Amon Amarth are as example of such a band already discussed in this thread. There are lots of Eastern European death/black metal bands whose lyrics cover themes of paganism and the ancient stories and spirituality of their forefathers, and these bands often make use of folk instruments in their music, such as bagpipes and violins.

Ah, I think I understand all this death metal now. It's a recognition of what the Buddhists call 'dukkha', what the Christians call 'the fallenness of the cosmos', often in the context of ancient Germanic-Slavic culture; the heroic life is constant struggle in the face of imminent defeat -- one's victory is not of this world. Perhaps one might recognize similar themes in the novels of Cormac McCarthy, like "No Country for Old Men".
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 02:13:40 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »

Taranchula is by far the best band death metal has ever spawned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-Ha1vaG1EA

And here's something by the chaps who made them up (it looks like they're crosswiring genres: Taranchula is more a thrash metal act with a facade of death and doom, and a vocalist who sounds like he's lampooning James Hetfield):

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail141.html
http://www.hrwiki.org/wiki/death_metal

SamB
High Elder

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2009, 09:32:32 PM »

With me, Bay-area thrash, British New Wave, and classic metal (prog and neo-classical had their place as well) always took precedence over genres like death metal.  But what little interest I had in it would have leaned more towards the more sophisticated and technical sub-branches like technical and Gothenburg melodic death.  Unfortunately, death metal shall always be plagued with this absurd fetish for 'bleaaaaergh' cookie-monster vocals.  Technicality and playing proficiency (and the voice is no less an instrument) make for great music, and this genre would have been much better off remaining a purely instrumental one.

Here's my contribution--from early Amorphis, also Finnish, and with a habit of using the Kalevala for lyrical material:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VCd84i6TiU

Say, if everyone is 'psyched' over this topic, should I not be surprised that few contributed to this thread dealing with Tim Schafer's tribute to metal music (yet a lousy one to good gameplay mechanics):

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,21679.0.html

« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 09:46:46 PM by SamB » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2009, 11:13:59 PM »

Let's all chill and have a bana nah nah nah!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »

Yall need to get saucy with Jelly Roll Morton and maybe then a glass of Suav Blanc with la' mome Piaf.
Who needs Death Metal when you can hear the music of Bourbon Street Brothels?? Shocked Wink

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2009, 11:53:51 PM »

Maiden is still my favorite band.  The only wave I ever see at their concerts is a wave of euphoria at hearing some great music played well. Smiley

Mine, too. Up the irons!
Get the Led out. Cheesy

Please.  Best metal band of all TIME was Wyld Stallyns!

Most excellent.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 11:55:12 PM by FormerReformer » Logged

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2009, 01:35:51 AM »

Please the best metal of all time is...

...platinum, because that's just too shiny and more expensive than gold...

Ya...wassup...I mean rock on!

SamB
High Elder

« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2009, 02:48:09 PM »

Maiden is still my favorite band.  The only wave I ever see at their concerts is a wave of euphoria at hearing some great music played well. Smiley

Mine, too. Up the irons!
Get the Led out. Cheesy

Please.  Best metal band of all TIME was Wyld Stallyns!

Most excellent.

You've been out of touch with the latest slew of mock bands, haven't you?  Limozeen, dude!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4vxd1FHCOY

Leading the vanguards of cheesy hair metal against the putrid hordes of grunge and indie rock darkspawn, like these guys doing a cover of that last song with their dirty guitars.

And of course, here's the field marshall himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtjSHm3ZH0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvvjiE4AdUI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCd7_pp0xnY

errr....  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7jpz_55EdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bead5YUZzw

Finally, an article for the veterans and to the heart by someone who should be leading armies:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/britton2.html

Should add this, a Dio interview in the same vein as that article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFSBWFZMyS4
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:06:21 PM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2009, 03:01:04 PM »

Mine, too. Up the irons!
Get the Led out. Cheesy

Done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Imx1U6Wsrs

And here's something from the hard rock days by two of the godfathers Dio and Blackmore.  Had something in mind from the first's Vivian Campbell years, but Youtube has been playing copyright police with the song I had in mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SedQcg-65a8

In line with what Dio has said about Europe in that interview, I can attest for a fact that in one of the isolated mountain villages in Bulgaria, you will find at least one of the villagers there in his 50's who cannot speak a word of English but yet will swear by Rainbow.

Знаш Рембо?  Хубаво!  Хубаво!  Аз много обичам Рембо!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:28:05 PM by SamB » Logged
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »

You've been out of touch with the latest slew of mock bands, haven't you?  Limozeen, dude!  

Wrong link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsArcMMqbhw
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2009, 04:15:54 PM »

Yeah. Maybe these guys should leave the parodies to Weird Al Yankovic...

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »

Yeah. Maybe these guys should leave the parodies to Weird Al Yankovic...

Sure.

http://sendables.jibjab.com/view/K9jgdZVy2H0Lx5uH
SamB
High Elder

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2009, 08:54:07 PM »

In anticipation of Christmas, something of a chortle with this.  Ronnie James Dio and Tony Iommi give you God rest you merry gentlemen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONJFL4ABSmo
Thegra

Faith: Unknown
Jurisdiction: Unknown

« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »

That's one of my favorite Christmas songs. Only Ronnie James Dio could make it better.

As an aside, Feanor, you have excellent taste in music. But I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Opeth so far. They're pretty much the top for 'beautiful death metal'.
AlexanderOfBergamo
High Elder

Faith: Traditionalist Christian
Jurisdiction: The Original First Millennium Church

« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »

I am very used to listen to various genres, from rock'n'roll (Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee lewis...), to rock (Queen, Beatles, Arrows, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath), and power metal (Sonata Arctica, Nightwish). One can derive a teaching from any song. You don't have to support the CONTENTS of these songs, but sometimes they can be useful in a way or another.
When I first listened to 666-The Number of the Beast (being Italian, I'm not so used to hearing it in my country), I began thinking it to be good. When in the end of the song the singer happens to fall under the power of the Devil, I was initially disgusted. Finally, that song made me think three things:
1) The Devil can be incredibly convincing
2) Since we're all weak, I must trust God and ask Him to help me keep far from the Devil
3) That's how Satan works and how I can recognize his mindset to defeat it in my life.
Knowing evil doesn't mean embracing it. When an army prepares to battle, the generals study their enemies in depth. They want to know how the others think and work, because this way you can prepare for their attacks and use their weaknesses against them. I think that a Christian CAN listen to these songs precisely to understand how Satan's ways work, and keep ready for the "good battle".
A similar case I experienced was with Iron Man by Black Sabbath. The character is definitely a hero which is driven mad by the nonsense of the world he was trying to save. On one side, Iron Man teaches how man can be pure ingratitude and emargination; on the other side, I learned how the subtle burden from good to evil can be easily passed through, so that we must strengthen our sense of justice despite the world might ignore it, refuse it, or even judge it as insane.
Every single rock and metal song can somehow teach us something. Taking the position of an intrinsically evil character can make us reason over the depths of evil. That's maybe why novels work well when the evil character is well fashioned by the author. An example may be Lord Vold... pardon, You-Know-Who in the Harry Potter series: He is so evil (and in a certain sense, he is so recognizable as an evil character) that understanding his plans somehow justifies all reactions from the main characters.

We live in a world where evil penetrates every level of society, yet we can't see it as a whole: it's untouchable and invisible. If we can see the world from the Evil's side, we can realize why and how he penetrates the world and how to defeat him.

I hope this might give a new perspective to the thread.

In Christ

"Also in the Catholic Church itself we take great care that we hold that which has been believed everywhere, always, by all. For that is truly and properly Catholic" (St. Vincent of Lérins, "The Commonitory")
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »

I've been thinking about this issue for... well... years. But I've been thinking more and more about it over the last month or so. And I think I've changed my mind about listening to this kind of music. After going over what the Bible and Tradition say about music, I think it best to try and modify my listening habits.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2009, 04:35:40 PM »

I've been thinking about this issue for... well... years. But I've been thinking more and more about it over the last month or so. And I think I've changed my mind about listening to this kind of music. After going over what the Bible and Tradition say about music, I think it best to try and modify my listening habits.

Glory to God. We all need to examine our lives and our habits, and be willing to jettison certain things that have the potential to affect us in negative ways. I would be interested to know if your mood, thoughts, and actions are noticably different after having abstained from this type of music for some time. Please keep us informed.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

mersch

Faith: converting to orthodoxy, seems to be on hold

« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2009, 05:40:15 PM »

Let me get this out of the way: I HATE death metal, period, weather it's christian or not! Why do kids like it? same reason I loved the music I did (it was the devils music, I heard more than once from my parents and the like-Rod Stewart, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, banned from listening to it-at least when my parents were around- when they weren't- I listened and played it loud till they would walk in the house, LOL the memories of growing up   Grin), but I also listened to motown, country, blues and etc growing up. Now that I have that out of the way, I do attend death metals concerts or shows, (hating it all the while) at the rate of about 2 a month, my youngest is in a death metal band, -he's 22. Some of the lyrics I have read(can't understand them when they are playing thankfully), are horrible. I let them know what I think of their lyrics, privately and when the subject comes up. I do more talking to God when I attend than actually listening to what's being played, otherwise I couldn't do it!!! I recently recieved a very nice note from one of the band members thanking me for showing up, how much they appreciate it-while knowing how I feel about their style and lyrics. He slso stated that my son has mentioned on occasion that he loves it when I show up, even though he knows I usually am talking to God the whole time!  LOL  The band, and their devotees have now started calling me "da mama". Will I let them practice at my house?  NO WAY- as some of their lyrics are offensive to me, and I feel are anti-religous, anti God so to speak, so not in my house!  The thing that amazes me is that they did book their first gig, after that, they haven't had to do any of their own promotions, the venues they play have been contacting them, promoters are contacting them- I don't understand that, LOL, (I come from a long line of musicians, some who had real jobs to support their music so they wouldn't be "starving musicians" at times).
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2010, 12:52:39 PM »

There was a time where I listened to pretty much nothing but black metal, death metal, and doom metal. While I still listen to a handful of these bands, I have nothing to do with the ones with Satanic or generally anti-Christian themes. One of my favorite bands is Summoning which, despite the occult-sounding name, is purely based on themes from Tolkien's books. But I avoid bands like Emperor, Darkthrone, Deicide, Mercyful Fate, or Gorgoroth. I try to avoid referencing these bands in even a joking/ ironic way, as some people do. I think it's very naive to think that, simply because we don't intellectually assent to its lyrical content, that Satanic music does not affect us negatively.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:53:06 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Pilgrim
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer
Jurisdiction: Holy Orthodoxy

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »

I'm really into folk and power metal: Within Temptation, Nightwish, Equilibrium, Elvenking, Eluvietie, Sonata Arctica...a bit of Amon Amarth. Also black metal (Rammstein....I shall see them live one day). Anyone into Ska? Streetlight Manifesto was the first band that exposed me to it and its pretty awsome.

Oh and two words: Avenged Sevenfold.

Metal isn't for everyone, but to quote an earlier poster: "Why should the devil have all the good music"?

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2010, 02:40:09 PM »

I caution people to stay away from a lot of this material.  I hope I'm not causing people grief by posting this stuff.

Makes no sense whatsoever to caution people to stay away from something and then turn around and give access to or display it.  And if I were a mod, I would lock this extremely disturbing and satanic thread;  having videos being posted of extremely anti-Christian blasphemy is unacceptable!!!! 

Agreed!

Please people, feel free to tell us why you like this type of music without promoting it by displaying demonic lyrics and posting links to these disturbing songs and videos.

Selam

Had you been living in the 18th century this would be directed toward Mozart and Beethoven, with their foul late enlightenment romanticist and sometimes nationalistic music.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth help us to walk the way of Life, which is Christ Jesus.

St. Cyril, St. Leo, and St. Severus pray that the Church may be united and one, Eastern and Oriental.St. Issac the Syrian, pray that Assyria would return to the Holy Church. St. Gregory, pray for Rom
Pilgrim
Elder

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2010, 02:48:02 PM »

I'm quite surprised that many people on this forum (I'm assuming they are christians) seem to like death metal music. I was always taught that this was not suitable music for the christian, and seeing some of the images recently posted in another thread, I can appreciate why it was forbidden in my former faith. So, I would like to ask those of you who seem to like and listen to this genre why you enjoy this and why you feel it is acceptable for a christian to listen to something with such horrific and psychologically traumatizing imagery. Thanks.

I'm with you Rosehip. I too am surprised by the prevalence of Orthodox Christians on this forum that seem to like this genre of music. I try not to be a fundamentalist about artistic tastes, but certain artistic expressions are purely demonic and should be avoided and condemned IMHO. I'm not going to crusade against "death metal," but I will point out that it's not redemptive and is full of negative energy, negative emotion, and negative thoughts. In this glorious world with so much beauty and so many uplifting forms of music and song, I do have to wonder why a professed Christian would be drawn towards such darkness. That may sound judgmental, but it really does cause me to wonder.

Good question Rosehip!

Selam

Its true what you say and there are many many songs of this genre singing about more beautiful things life (Wind beneath my wings by Sonata Arctica, sings about friendship and supporting each other through hard times). But I would also point out that the darker side of the human spirit deserves musical expression as well, and it will of course be much harder, harsher, and darker.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »

Also black metal (Rammstein....I shall see them live one day).

Not to be snotty, but Rammstein isn't black metal... not even close.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2010, 03:00:27 PM »

Agreed!

Selam

Had you been living in the 18th century this would be directed toward Mozart and Beethoven, with their foul late enlightenment romanticist and sometimes nationalistic music.

If you can find some overtly Satanic/ anti-Christian material in either of these composers, then your comparison would be valid.

Tags: music 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: