OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 09:05:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Death Metal Music  (Read 17326 times) Average Rating: 0
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #135 on: March 08, 2011, 10:41:17 PM »

Most of you guys should watch a documentary film called "They sold their souls for rock and roll" from fight the good fight ministries.  There is a 10 hour version that is absolutely jaw dropping.  Most people don't know how deep and Satanic almost all main stream music is. 

I can personally attest to this.  I was VERY Orthodox as a child.  The heavy music led me away from the church.  I got into bands like Pantera & Slayer eventually which was the darkest 1 year of my life that I still regret to this day.

Please consider what you listen to.  The rhythms beat the message into your mind... You begin to live the lifestyle of what you hear.

Today at my home we listen to virtually nothing except Orthodox praise.

PLEASE watch that documentary.  It will change your life.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #136 on: March 08, 2011, 11:01:42 PM »

I have always struggled with music.

After my born again experience, I heard a lot of fellow church members talking about how all mainstream music was wrong, satanic, and just not good for the soul. I deleted all of the secular songs from my computer and my IPod, which, looking back on it, wasn't a bad move. A lot of songs reminded me of moments in my past that I shouldn't have been recalling on a daily basis.

However, over the years, I began to explore international music as a part of my language study. I listened to Arabic, Russian, Ukrainian, Israeli music. Very slowly, I began adding some secular groups back to my library.

Around this time, I was honestly a bit tired of CCM. No offense to any CCM artists, but for the most part, they are repetitive and many of them sound like cheap copies of famous secular bands or singers. (Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy several CCM singers, but this is my opinion about the genre in general.) I was also a bit disgusted with how some artists churned out worship CDs, special edition CDs, etc., several times a year, presumably just for the money.

I began going back to my old music, picking and choosing a few songs that were not good for my spirit and deleting those completely. I was relieved to use the elliptical while listening to Ace of Base (hey, I have a weakness for 90s Europop!) again.

At this time, I met my now husband, who is a BIG metal fan. I never liked metal, but I began liking some of the symphonic metal (aka wimpy metal  Tongue) bands, sort of a dark opera/pop style. I went through their lyrics before downloading the songs. Now, most of them aren't Christian at all (although some of the bands are!), but they mainly sing about pagan themes or vaguely reference God.

I made sure that I wasn't listening to anything that was really dark (I can't stand screaming or growling) and I generally don't have a feeling like I do when my husband plays some of his music. (I have this feeling like I can't breathe, like I'm suffocating. It's weird to explain. Thankfully, he doesn't listen those bands any more.)

Now, I'm not going to lie. Some of the lyrics are really not great, and I feel ashamed when I catch myself singing them out loud. I don't buy into their religious or political views, but I do admire the artistry and well-written lyrics. It's something I struggle with pretty often. God's working on me, I guess.

I don't go to concerts or follow bands, so music isn't such a big issue with me. I mean, I DO read books written by non-believers and I can admire the writing style of authors who are not Christian. I do have to be constantly mindful of what I read. I view this as a similar issue.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 11:02:53 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
neon_knights
High Elder

Faith: Christian

My political hero.

« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2011, 10:20:40 PM »

I love death metal. It isnt my favorite metal type but I still love it. I can't bring myself to listen to the Satanic stuff though, and I hate black metal. ALL black metal.

There are some really beautiful death metal lyrics, though.

Extol for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXF4P0-mHU

And there is much musically beautiful death metal as well, like In Flames and Opeth.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »

Im actually kind of shocked nobody brought up the "devil's note" or the evils of the triple tone yet.....utter nonsense, that.

As for Metal, it is what you make of it. I played metal in my younger days (I've been a musician for quite a long time). I just find it now to be repetitive, non-creative, and generally ridiculous.

The only thing that I can even say I listen to remotely related to metal is prog (ie. Dream Theater, etc).

In the end, there's music of all genres with evil connotations, and music that isnt. I dont think any genre is inherently evil per se.

However, rap should be used to torture people........

primuspilus

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
HabteSelassie
Ises and I-ity
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2011, 04:46:07 PM »

Greetings in that divine and most precious Name of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!

I have always struggled with music.

After my born again experience, I heard a lot of fellow church members talking about how all mainstream music was wrong, satanic, and just not good for the soul. I deleted all of the secular songs from my computer and my IPod, which, looking back on it, wasn't a bad move. A lot of songs reminded me of moments in my past that I shouldn't have been recalling on a daily basis.

However, over the years, I began to explore international music as a part of my language study. I listened to Arabic, Russian, Ukrainian, Israeli music. Very slowly, I began adding some secular groups back to my library.

Around this time, I was honestly a bit tired of CCM. No offense to any CCM artists, but for the most part, they are repetitive and many of them sound like cheap copies of famous secular bands or singers. (Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy several CCM singers, but this is my opinion about the genre in general.) I was also a bit disgusted with how some artists churned out worship CDs, special edition CDs, etc., several times a year, presumably just for the money.

I began going back to my old music, picking and choosing a few songs that were not good for my spirit and deleting those completely. I was relieved to use the elliptical while listening to Ace of Base (hey, I have a weakness for 90s Europop!) again.

At this time, I met my now husband, who is a BIG metal fan. I never liked metal, but I began liking some of the symphonic metal (aka wimpy metal  Tongue) bands, sort of a dark opera/pop style. I went through their lyrics before downloading the songs. Now, most of them aren't Christian at all (although some of the bands are!), but they mainly sing about pagan themes or vaguely reference God.

I made sure that I wasn't listening to anything that was really dark (I can't stand screaming or growling) and I generally don't have a feeling like I do when my husband plays some of his music. (I have this feeling like I can't breathe, like I'm suffocating. It's weird to explain. Thankfully, he doesn't listen those bands any more.)

Now, I'm not going to lie. Some of the lyrics are really not great, and I feel ashamed when I catch myself singing them out loud. I don't buy into their religious or political views, but I do admire the artistry and well-written lyrics. It's something I struggle with pretty often. God's working on me, I guess.

I don't go to concerts or follow bands, so music isn't such a big issue with me. I mean, I DO read books written by non-believers and I can admire the writing style of authors who are not Christian. I do have to be constantly mindful of what I read. I view this as a similar issue.

This is a delightful testimony.  God has given us the plurality of free-will precisely in order that we may dive into the depth and profundity of the complications and contradictions of our flawed human condition.  Those who follow a vain asceticism and avoid all forms of "distraction" fail to realize that their very avoidance can become a source of pride and distraction.  The outside of the cup may be sparkling, whereas the inside is rapacious.  Personally, I never bought into throwing out my "secular" music, even some of the darker, nihilistic, or blatantly negative music, because these are equally part of the human experience as my praises, hymns, and conscious musics.  We must embrace all aspects of our humanity in order to heal all our wounds.  If we simply neglect or ignore certain aspects of ourselves, it will only fester and erupt later in life as it always does. 

So if we feel an affinity or connection to any kind of art, we should not necessarily afraid of it, so long as we approach it like Christians.  If we do not let ourselves become possessed by such arts, then we can actually grow in our Faith.  Even blatantly negative music offers us the opportunity to pose those deep and profound questions which our soul harbors in its very core.  Music that reminds of depressing or frightening moments of our life help us to recall how we survived them, or help us to uncover our unhealed wounds that remain and work on them through the prayerful effort.  At least that is how I approach less overtly positive art like musics, films, and literature.  In this regard, the Bible is just the same.  Remember the Bible is more so a book of song and poetry rather than facts and histories.  In this, some of the songs are dirges, some are war cries, some are lamentations, some are venting frustrations, and others are praises and prayers for good.  If the Bible even expressed these other aspects of ourselves, surely our iTunes libraries can do the same Wink

It is also hopeless naive to assume that just because we throw out "secular" or even negative art from our collections or influence that the devils will abandon us, because as the Desert Fathers teach us, the devils actually follow us deeper into those spiritual wildernesses and attack as all the more so when we try to escape them of our own force of will. 

When we try to avoid a distraction in life, it actually becomes even more so a distraction, like continually tonguing a sore in our mouths to monitor its healing only to further agrivate the wound.  We sometimes NEED to run the gauntlet and experience the depths of our minds and what is there, even when it can seem unseemly, that we can better know what is there, and pray with God to heal and reconcile our flaws, wounds, and misunderstandings. 

stay blessed,
habte selassie

"Yet stand aloof from stupid questionings and geneologies and strifes and fightings about law, for they are without benefit and vain." Titus 3:10
stpaulphilip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »

Why should the devil have all the drugs?  Why should the devil have all the sex outside of marriage?  Why should the devil have all the ... whatever.  How stupid. 

I'm not bragging, but I am one of the meanest, fastest, double bassiest metal drummers you could ever meet.  I've played in death metal bands (as well as other genres), toured around the US and I've been involved in the recording of 7 albums. 

I'm so glad all that foolishness is behind me now.  It is like a demon that clung to me for years.  The memories of the horrible lyrics I listened to as a younger guy still haunt me.  They pop up in my head during prayer.  I don't see how anyone could practice the Jesus Prayer then go turn on some Cannibal Corpse, or any fake metal junk with "Christian" lyrics.  The anger produced by the obviously very angry music actually effected me physically.  The temptations of the dark clubs and bars I played in are more than I could endure, and any God-seeking Christian should avoid places like that. 

I'm just glad that I'm Orthodox now.  It is like therapy for my horribly sinful soul.  It will take a long time for me to recover.  I just hope my children don't do what I did.  I'm not a fundamentalist or anything, but I would caution all you metal/punk/black metal people to .....  grow up. 

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #141 on: March 01, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »

Why should the devil have all the drugs?  Why should the devil have all the sex outside of marriage?  Why should the devil have all the ... whatever.  How stupid. 

I'm not bragging, but I am one of the meanest, fastest, double bassiest metal drummers you could ever meet.  I've played in death metal bands (as well as other genres), toured around the US and I've been involved in the recording of 7 albums. 

I'm so glad all that foolishness is behind me now.  It is like a demon that clung to me for years.  The memories of the horrible lyrics I listened to as a younger guy still haunt me.  They pop up in my head during prayer.  I don't see how anyone could practice the Jesus Prayer then go turn on some Cannibal Corpse, or any fake metal junk with "Christian" lyrics.  The anger produced by the obviously very angry music actually effected me physically.  The temptations of the dark clubs and bars I played in are more than I could endure, and any God-seeking Christian should avoid places like that. 

I'm just glad that I'm Orthodox now.  It is like therapy for my horribly sinful soul.  It will take a long time for me to recover.  I just hope my children don't do what I did.  I'm not a fundamentalist or anything, but I would caution all you metal/punk/black metal people to .....  grow up. 

See my reply to this same post you made in another thread.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
stpaulphilip

« Reply #142 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

Trust me, the temptation is there.  I miss playing quite often, and I believe that my talent in drumming is a gift from God, but I'm focusing on classical guitar.  Much more soothing.  Like David and his harp.  I doubt that David could have soothed Saul's terrible anger problem by playing him some metal! 

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #143 on: March 01, 2012, 06:28:48 PM »

Trust me, the temptation is there.  I miss playing quite often, and I believe that my talent in drumming is a gift from God, but I'm focusing on classical guitar.  Much more soothing.  Like David and his harp.  I doubt that David could have soothed Saul's terrible anger problem by playing him some metal! 

Burzum might have done it.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #144 on: March 01, 2012, 06:57:03 PM »

I personally prefer conscious hip-hop like Tupac Shakur, KRS 1 and Nas because they spoke about the problems faced in urban youth today and urged people to make a change and try to end poverty, racism and violence. Many people accuse me of this and see it odd, however, many of these people are only judging hip-hop from the exterior. They hear swear words or the mention of guns and violence and they immediately assume it is wrong even though they do not get the deeper message that the artist is really advocating. I do however admit that there are some hip-hop artists who have advocated a pretty immoral lifestyle, like fornicating, getting high or shooting cops. However, I honestly feel that people exaggerate it and it is nothing compared to some of this stuff in black metal. Hip-hop in my opinion represents a lifestyle and a culture; it tells of the sufferings endured by urban youth and the immoral side to it describes what the twisted urban youth wishes to have; which includes women, drugs and the ability to retaliate at the police with no consequences. While I would not advocate this lifestyle and desires, I still feel a bit of sympathy for them being an urban Mexican youth myself. I still however prefer the conscious side that simply describes the pain and struggles, then urges us to make a change. Tupac did this very often. I do however admit, that in the darkest depths of hip-hop, there is some content that is just as disturbing and immoral, if not even worse, than some of this crap in black metal. Ever heard of Big L? He was a rapper back in the 90s who remained somewhat underground and was ahead of his time for his use of multi-syllables, flow, punchlines and freestyle battle abilities. The only thing is, his music is perhaps more violent than any other artist in the history of hip-hop, and for a time he even explicitly advocated a Satanic message such as in his song 'Devils Son' where he describes him and his gang getting possessed by demons, committing gruesome murders and shooting up Heaven etc. While I cannot really listen to this stuff because of my ethics, I still do appreciate his technical skill in terms of hip-hop.

These are some of my favorite songs, they aren't too explicit if you actually listen to the message.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Y9-JlSRXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaJJX8cbIig

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cz_nOpxgCU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbs7wWLXLpw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0Vk0EL-r8g&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh9S4vLDDOI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRWUs0KtB-I&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSgkBF6LjH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An6xqwOUYGU
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 07:27:19 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
stpaulphilip

« Reply #145 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:56 PM »

Foolishness.  A waste of time. 

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2012, 10:04:26 PM »

At one time, if you asked my religion, I would have said Neurosis.

A kindred spirit. For me, the best are Through Silver in Blood and Times of Grace.

Be watchful; there are purple demons afoot.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 10:06:42 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
stpaulphilip

« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

A kindred spirit. For me, the best are Through Silver in Blood and Times of Grace.

Purple demons are foolishness too, as well as metal, death metal, black metal, and the silly people that listen to it and imitate the growling noices and mimic blast beats with their hands, etc.  It is for boys rebelling against their parents while growing their first pubic hairs who have see-through mustaches who haven't had a hair cut in a couple months and brush it off their forehead constantly, and reeeaaally want a tattoo and are considering getting huge holes put in their ears because they inwardly love jungle type paganism and tribal tattoos.  If you have graduated from high school, or are over the age of 17, and still imitate growling voices while you drive home from your job at BK and get shivers when a blast beat happens, you are a looooser. 

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2012, 04:26:30 PM »

Im glad you're the authority.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
stpaulphilip

« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »

Im glad you're the authority.

PP

Thanks for recognizing.  "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!"  Isaiah 5:20

stpaulphilip

« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:44 PM »

From a lecture by Fr. Seraphim.  Please read the whole thing.  It's not that much. 

"The child who has been exposed from his earliest years to good classical music, and has seen his soul being developed by it, will not be nearly as tempted by the crude rhythm and message of rock and other contemporary forms of pseudo-music as someone who has grown up without a musical education. Such a musical education, as several of the Optina Elders have said, refines the soul and prepares it for the reception of spiritual impressions.

The child who has been educated in good literature, drama, and poetry and has felt their effect on his soul -- that is, has really enjoyed them -- will not easily become an addict of contemporary movies and television programs and cheap novels that devastate the soul and take it away from the Christian path.

The child who has learned to see beauty in classical painting and sculpture will not easily be drawn into the perversity of contemporary art or be attracted by the garish products of modern advertising and pornography.

The child who knows something of the history of the world, especially in Christian times, and how other people have lived and thought, what mistakes and pitfalls people have fallen into by departing from God and His commandments, and what glorious and influential lives they have lived when they were faithful to Him, will be discerning about the life and philosophy of our own times and will not be inclined to follow the first new philosophy or way of life he encounters ...

In general, the person who is well acquainted with the best products of secular culture -- which in the West almost always have definite religious and Christian overtones -- has a much better chance of leading a normal, fruitful Orthodox* life than someone who knows only the popular culture of today. One who is converted to Orthodoxy straight from 'rock' culture, and in general anyone who thinks he can combine Orthodoxy with that kind of culture -- has much suffering to go through and a difficult road in life before he can become a truly serious Orthodox Christian who is capable of handing on his faith to others. Without this suffering, without the awareness, Orthodox parents will raise their children to be devoured by the contemporary world."

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2012, 05:39:44 PM »

Whenever subjects like this come up, I am reminded of the verse in 1 Corinthians: All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #152 on: March 02, 2012, 06:21:45 PM »

Purple demons are foolishness too, as well as metal, death metal, black metal, and the silly people that listen to it and imitate the growling noices and mimic blast beats with their hands, etc.  It is for boys rebelling against their parents while growing their first pubic hairs who have see-through mustaches who haven't had a hair cut in a couple months and brush it off their forehead constantly, and reeeaaally want a tattoo and are considering getting huge holes put in their ears because they inwardly love jungle type paganism and tribal tattoos.  If you have graduated from high school, or are over the age of 17, and still imitate growling voices while you drive home from your job at BK and get shivers when a blast beat happens, you are a looooser. 

Yeah, God forbid people should do dumb things to enjoy themselves when they're 17.  Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #153 on: March 02, 2012, 06:25:44 PM »

Yeah, God forbid people should do dumb things to enjoy themselves when they're 17.  Roll Eyes

I do dumb stuff all the time at 29. I've accepted my "loser" status and just go with it, it can be fun at times.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2012, 11:21:56 PM »

I've never seen so much self-hatred in one place. You should maybe stop projecting your hatred of yourself onto other people, especially during Lent, dude. Prayer of St. Ephraim and all of that.
ironchapman
A bull of truth in the china shop of falsehoods.
High Elder

Faith: Serious inquirer into Orthodoxy.

« Reply #155 on: March 03, 2012, 03:03:06 AM »

I like symphonic metal and some heavy metal, but I'm definitely no afficionado. Personally, I'm more a fan of normal rock and roll & pop music. I also like country music.

Oh yes, and I like jpop and jrock--some songs of which have quite beautiful lyrics if you can either understand them or translate them.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." --Bertrand Russell
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #156 on: March 03, 2012, 04:23:20 AM »

I do dumb stuff all the time at 29. I've accepted my "loser" status and just go with it, it can be fun at times.

The Dude abides.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #157 on: March 03, 2012, 07:49:05 AM »

From a lecture by Fr. Seraphim.  Please read the whole thing.  It's not that much.  

"The child who has been exposed from his earliest years to good classical music, and has seen his soul being developed by it, will not be nearly as tempted by the crude rhythm and message of rock and other contemporary forms of pseudo-music as someone who has grown up without a musical education. Such a musical education, as several of the Optina Elders have said, refines the soul and prepares it for the reception of spiritual impressions.

The child who has been educated in good literature, drama, and poetry and has felt their effect on his soul -- that is, has really enjoyed them -- will not easily become an addict of contemporary movies and television programs and cheap novels that devastate the soul and take it away from the Christian path.

The child who has learned to see beauty in classical painting and sculpture will not easily be drawn into the perversity of contemporary art or be attracted by the garish products of modern advertising and pornography.

The child who knows something of the history of the world, especially in Christian times, and how other people have lived and thought, what mistakes and pitfalls people have fallen into by departing from God and His commandments, and what glorious and influential lives they have lived when they were faithful to Him, will be discerning about the life and philosophy of our own times and will not be inclined to follow the first new philosophy or way of life he encounters ...

In general, the person who is well acquainted with the best products of secular culture -- which in the West almost always have definite religious and Christian overtones -- has a much better chance of leading a normal, fruitful Orthodox* life than someone who knows only the popular culture of today. One who is converted to Orthodoxy straight from 'rock' culture, and in general anyone who thinks he can combine Orthodoxy with that kind of culture -- has much suffering to go through and a difficult road in life before he can become a truly serious Orthodox Christian who is capable of handing on his faith to others. Without this suffering, without the awareness, Orthodox parents will raise their children to be devoured by the contemporary world."

Now this is an interesting quote since I find Metal music much more sophisticated and civilized than most of other popular music. Many rather popular Metal bands incorporate various elements from philosophy, history, native cultures, Classical music etc. into their music. Also, here in Finland Tuska festival i.e. the largest Metal festival in Nordic countries is a lot more peaceful than many other Music festivals that are arranged during summers.

So for me it seems that by Fr. Seraphim's standards Metal is a lot more Christian than various not-so-heavy genres of music. Still, for some reason we rarely see anyone arguing against Snoop Dogg and Lady Gaga.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 07:55:00 AM by Alpo » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #158 on: March 03, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »

If I ever find myself in God's country, we'll have to have a smoke and listen to good ol' Neurosis.

Really, I was never into "Death Metal". I always liked what would come to be known as "Sludge Metal" or whatever.

stpaulphilip

« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »

I've never seen so much self-hatred in one place. You should maybe stop projecting your hatred of yourself onto other people, especially during Lent, dude. Prayer of St. Ephraim and all of that.

I have no self hatred.  Are you a self appointed prophet?  How would you know if I have self hatred?  Lent or not, what I wrote is simply the truth, and it really bugs you that I hit the nail on the head.  However, it's a free world and I really don't care what you do or think.  I think death metal, rap, lady gaga and most of popular culture is completely stupid and a tremendous waste of time, so I don't waste my time on it.  That's my opinion.  I just find it really sad that many Orthodox people are materialistic and so involved in the culture of this world.  It's not what I expected from the Orthodox.  It is what I completely expect from protestants. 

peacenprayer

Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #160 on: March 03, 2012, 09:16:55 PM »

Can't say I've rebelled against my parents more then your usual kid, but I've since taken out my talons (ear spacers), I'd like to get my tats removed or covered (removal is as expensive as it is painful), and I've shaved my see through mustache and most of my beard. After nearly a year of bearding I've conceded that I can't grow one. I'm over 17, have never worked at a BK, but I Loves me some Metal. I am more then happy to be a loser.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 09:17:34 PM by peacenprayer » Logged

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
stpaulphilip

« Reply #161 on: March 04, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »

Can't say I've rebelled against my parents more then your usual kid, but I've since taken out my talons (ear spacers), I'd like to get my tats removed or covered (removal is as expensive as it is painful), and I've shaved my see through mustache and most of my beard. After nearly a year of bearding I've conceded that I can't grow one. I'm over 17, have never worked at a BK, but I Loves me some Metal. I am more then happy to be a loser.

One step at a time, I guess.  You're beginning to grow up.  You've removed the jungle pagan ear-hole makers, you have a desire to cover your Sharpie marks, but you still love metal and are more than happy to be a loser.  Why would anyone be happy to be a loser?  Anyway, try to listen to some metal in the confines of an Orthodox temple.  It just doesn't fit.  Or tell your mom how much you love her by growling at her in your best death metal voice.  Imagine metal in heaven; does not compute.  If we are seated with Christ in the heavenly places already, we should be living (or trying to live) with every aspect of our life in that perspective. 

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #162 on: March 04, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »

While I agree with the essence of what (I think) you're trying to say, stpaulphilip, there's a great deal that we do on earth that we presumably won't be doing in the next life. There might be a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water going on here. While I have never been a fan of any kind of metal (and I certainly can't see it fitting in with churches or monasteries), there are a wide variety of things that aren't so immediately polarizing or identifiable as contrary to the faith that might nevertheless be enjoyed by people who still take their spiritual lives very seriously. So I think it is unfair to paint with such a broad brush. If a person who likes heavy metal music past when you yourself got out of that lifestyle is a "loser", then why aren't Orthodox people who like classical music, or historical military battle reenactments, or stamp collecting, or whatever dumb thing also "losers"? I have no reason to doubt that every one of our earthly pursuits is nothing to God, and certainly God should be everything to us, but while we are on our way to maturing spiritually (a far more important sign of "growing up" than taking out some earring, I think), what benefit is it to call those who are going at their own pace "losers"? You can't know where they are by looking at them. Steady and slow (as necessary) wins the race. If I had $1 for every person I knew who made major lifestyle changes that didn't result in their desired progress...well, I could at least pay for peacenprayer to their tattoos removed, and probably have a nice sum left over.

stpaulphilip

« Reply #163 on: March 04, 2012, 01:44:36 AM »

While I agree with the essence of what (I think) you're trying to say, stpaulphilip, there's a great deal that we do on earth that we presumably won't be doing in the next life. There might be a bit of throwing the baby out with the bath water going on here. While I have never been a fan of any kind of metal (and I certainly can't see it fitting in with churches or monasteries), there are a wide variety of things that aren't so immediately polarizing or identifiable as contrary to the faith that might nevertheless be enjoyed by people who still take their spiritual lives very seriously. So I think it is unfair to paint with such a broad brush. If a person who likes heavy metal music past when you yourself got out of that lifestyle is a "loser", then why aren't Orthodox people who like classical music, or historical military battle reenactments, or stamp collecting, or whatever dumb thing also "losers"? I have no reason to doubt that every one of our earthly pursuits is nothing to God, and certainly God should be everything to us, but while we are on our way to maturing spiritually (a far more important sign of "growing up" than taking out some earring, I think), what benefit is it to call those who are going at their own pace "losers"? You can't know where they are by looking at them. Steady and slow (as necessary) wins the race. If I had $1 for every person I knew who made major lifestyle changes that didn't result in their desired progress...well, I could at least pay for peacenprayer to their tattoos removed, and probably have a nice sum left over.

Thank you for your reply, and you are right.  I don't mean to throw the baby out with the bath water.  I came from a death metal background, and for years lived a lifestyle that was according to that culture.  It is very hard for me to try and somehow make it "fit" with my Christianity, so I don't try to make it fit anymore.  Really, it was like chains falling off, letting it go.  It was years ago that I let it go, and so it is increasingly becoming more and more of a past experience, but it still surfaces in me by way of desire, memories, lyrics that are perpetually stuck in my head, as well as other things.  To me it is so foreign to Orthodox Christianity that it is like trying to blend oil and water.  But, I do admit I was too harsh.  I am a loser in many ways, and I apologize for offending others.  I am certainly not righteous and have no place to put down others.  Please forgive me. 

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #164 on: March 04, 2012, 02:32:55 AM »

I have no reason to doubt that every one of our earthly pursuits is nothing to God

This is getting dangerous.

God cares very much about our "earthly" pursuits. There ain't any other pursuits I know of. I mean we have had "lunar" pursuits and the like, but I am including them under "earthly".

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #165 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:06 AM »

I mean in the realm of hobbies and the like, as is the topic of the thread. Sorry, I should have clarified. Of course God cares what we do and how we spend our time, but when it comes to things that are entirely subjective...well, I would hate to not get into heaven for having refused to do the macarena or what have you.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2012, 04:05:40 AM »

This is the single greatest post I have ever read. Well done sir.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »

Anyway, try to listen to some metal in the confines of an Orthodox temple.  It just doesn't fit.

We pray for travelers by land, sea, and air but airplanes and boats don't fit too well in church either.  

Or tell your mom how much you love her by growling at her in your best death metal voice.

Yeah, it's much better to say it in Byzantine chant tone 1.

Imagine metal in heaven; does not compute.  If we are seated with Christ in the heavenly places already, we should be living (or trying to live) with every aspect of our life in that perspective.  

So I assume you'll still be calling people losers on OC.net in heaven?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:19:04 PM by Iconodule » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »

I have no self hatred.  Are you a self appointed prophet?  How would you know if I have self hatred?  Lent or not, what I wrote is simply the truth, and it really bugs you that I hit the nail on the head.  However, it's a free world and I really don't care what you do or think.  I think death metal, rap, lady gaga and most of popular culture is completely stupid and a tremendous waste of time, so I don't waste my time on it.  That's my opinion.  I just find it really sad that many Orthodox people are materialistic and so involved in the culture of this world.  It's not what I expected from the Orthodox.  It is what I completely expect from protestants. 

Ever hear that bit about straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel? Congratulations, you are on the gnat-free diet.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #169 on: March 04, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »

Uh, I like drums.  Huh

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #170 on: March 04, 2012, 02:17:15 PM »

Uh, I like drums.  Huh

Uh oh! Time for confession!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:19:01 PM by Alpo » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

fleem
« Reply #171 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »

Yes, maybe it is.

christian7777
Elder

« Reply #172 on: March 04, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »

I'm not really a fan of regular death metal, but I do like melodic death metal (death metal with classic metal melodies). When I look for extreme metal, I try to find melodic death metal bands that has clean vocals; Scar Symmetry is a good example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdeurUwz66A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVxkNFIxnl4&feature=related

Personally, I'm more of a power metal fan. DragonForce and Sonata Arctica for the win.
stpaulphilip

« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »

Anyway, try to listen to some metal in the confines of an Orthodox temple.  It just doesn't fit.

We pray for travelers by land, sea, and air but airplanes and boats don't fit too well in church either.  

Or tell your mom how much you love her by growling at her in your best death metal voice.

Yeah, it's much better to say it in Byzantine chant tone 1.

Imagine metal in heaven; does not compute.  If we are seated with Christ in the heavenly places already, we should be living (or trying to live) with every aspect of our life in that perspective.  

So I assume you'll still be calling people losers on OC.net in heaven?

Wow.  You should have walked with Plato and Aristotle because the depth of your reply is astounding.  I can't imagine what you'll be able to do when you turn 14. 

stpaulphilip

« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2012, 11:18:39 PM »

Ever hear that bit about straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel? Congratulations, you are on the gnat-free diet.

Your mother should have spanked you more often.  Brat. 

stpaulphilip

« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2012, 11:22:53 PM »

This is the single greatest post I have ever read. Well done sir.

I thank you kind sir. 

christian7777
Elder

« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »

stpaulphilip, what do you think of power metal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i7qZxICwgQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jgrCKhxE1s&feature=relmfu
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2012, 01:51:44 AM »

Wow.  You should have walked with Plato and Aristotle because the depth of your reply is astounding
I don't know which part of this sentence is supposed to be sarcastic.

If I ever find myself in God's country, we'll have to have a smoke and listen to good ol' Neurosis.

Really, I was never into "Death Metal". I always liked what would come to be known as "Sludge Metal" or whatever.
The only metal fans worse than people who argue about subgenres are the people who named them.
I have no reason to doubt that every one of our earthly pursuits is nothing to God

This is getting dangerous.

God cares very much about our "earthly" pursuits. There ain't any other pursuits I know of. I mean we have had "lunar" pursuits and the like, but I am including them under "earthly".

Just don't let Buzz Aldrin hear you say that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:52:49 AM by That person » Logged

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #178 on: March 20, 2012, 08:10:51 PM »

Uh, I like drums.  Huh

White metal drums or black metal ones? The answer to this is crucial!  Grin
stpaulphilip

« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2012, 04:36:07 PM »

I apologize for seeming to be self-righteous, if indeed I did.  I probably did.  I understand youth, and I know that many metal musicians are extremely talented.  Most are far more talented than pop artists and the junk you hear on the radio.  I am only opposed to the aggression it causes psychologically and the way kids like to resemble jungle people (plates in lips and rings around necks are next I tell ya). 

Tags: music 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: