OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 05:48:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why isn't Western Rite Orthodoxy thriving?  (Read 37067 times) Average Rating: 0
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »

I am challenged by the multiplicity of WR usage even within  ROCOR, let alone when you look at Antioch.

The Antiochian Western Rite is pretty uniform actually.  We have one approved missal with which we conduct our services, many parishes serving both liturgies.
Arguably the western theological mindset has had a huge influence of the Antiochian Archdiocese in the USA - clergy wearing western style clericals outside of liturgical worship, beardless bishops and priests ( some), the New Calendar to name a few that stand out.  Some of these I suspect are even barriers to non-Antiochian WR being closer to the Antiochian WR Vicariate.

The level of dispute amongst WR clergy in particular in relation to liturgy i.e. the Western-rite mass is amazing with some labelling Antiochian WR as "Tridentine" because you have a high mass with 6 candles on the altar, which is anathema to ye-olde Sarum purists.

It is common knowledge that the "western" dress and beardlessness of clergy in the Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America is a result of directives issued from and enforced by His Eminence, the Most Reverend Metropolitan PHILIP. See this thread for one example: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=31038.0. The "western theological mindset," whatever that vague generalization means, is not the cause here.
Given that Catholic/Episcopalian style clergy shirts with dog-collars has no Eastern precedent and that beards have both canonical and historical and Biblical reasons for their use in the Church by clergy from Apostolic times to this day, what do you base the decision of His Eminence Metropolitan Phillip (Saliba) to direct his bishops and clergy in such a way on?  Is it about fitting in with US secular society?  Is it about being ecumenical? The Roman Church is trying to undo Vatican II's de-sacralization of churches and modernist Orthodox thinking is not so different - "relevance" with the world.

I appreciate that many in the Self-Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese hold much more traditionalist Orthodox views about such things and that it appears that much depends on the rulings of your chief hierarch.

I do not presume to know the mind of His Eminence. I do not believe that a "western theological mindset" influences him in any way whatsoever. Your alternative suggestions are probably closer to the truth, IMO.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #181 on: January 06, 2011, 12:33:54 PM »

It troubles me how little connection there is in reality between those in the WR - and by that I mean charitable, fraternal sharing.  One group even try and restrict their prayer-book from those outside their group - even canonical Orthodox priests! 

One suspects that a group with such a high level of xenophobia will not be successful and will simply fade away.
seabeau

Faith: Orthodox (Western Rite)
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #182 on: January 06, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »

It is kind of funny (and sad) to hear the discussion on the Western Rite. Have any of you actually attended or even know a Western Rite Orthodox. We are fully Orthodox in our mindset, theology, and community values. Most of what has been said on this thread is of no value

1.We do not commune non Orthodox and if that was to be done we would see it as heresy.
2.We have the same standard beliefs as all are canonical Orthodox brethren.
3.Are rite is Western, but our hearts and minds are completely in union with Orthodox beliefs.
4.Our local church has always participated in any of the pan Orthodox events in the area, and we are always well represented in any Orthodox service or event in our area. The people who know us, know us as brother and sisters in the Orthodox faith.
5.We do not baptize by full emersion --- the reason, our small local church does not have the facility to do so. We would definitely do so if we could

Many of the comments in this thread are highly offensive. I don’t get the whole eat and attack you brother thing. Our faith is much bigger than our small prejudices. The Church was whole for nearly 1000 years, (east and west). Is it not time we strive to make it whole again.

Please find the time to attend a Western Rite church.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #183 on: January 06, 2011, 02:41:41 PM »

5.We do not baptize by full emersion --- the reason, our small local church does not have the facility to do so. We would definitely do so if we could
You mean, your local parish doesn't baptize by full emersion?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Margaret S.

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #184 on: January 06, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »

Personally I think the so-called Byzantine Orthodox liturgy served in ecclesiastical English is culturally very comfortable to me as an Australian and as someone who lived and breathed the Church of England.

But that is, as you wrote, how you feel.  There are others for whom the Byzantine Liturgy is not culturally nor worshipfully "comfortable".  I am one such.

Ebor

It took me five of my seven years to learn to love the eastern liturgy as much as I had loved the western. It's not easy. Some people take to it like the proverbial duck and others nearly drown.

Regards,
Margaret
in Edinburgh
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2011, 06:13:51 AM »

Personally I think the so-called Byzantine Orthodox liturgy served in ecclesiastical English is culturally very comfortable to me as an Australian and as someone who lived and breathed the Church of England.

But that is, as you wrote, how you feel.  There are others for whom the Byzantine Liturgy is not culturally nor worshipfully "comfortable".  I am one such.

Ebor
It took me five of my seven years to learn to love the eastern liturgy as much as I had loved the western. It's not easy. Some people take to it like the proverbial duck and others nearly drown.

Regards,
Margaret
in Edinburgh
Today as I struggled with a straight English baptism service book to keep up with the Serbian of the baptisimal rite sung by a Serbian priest, using Slavonic as "the choir" and reading the Epistle and Creed in English, it struck me that for the Serbian archimandrite who served our Nativity liturgy today and then the baptism, that he recognised the place of English and of Western converts in the big picture of Orthodoxy.  This was profoundly comforting.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:14:57 AM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
Reader KevinAndrew

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Western Rite

« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2011, 02:25:39 PM »

Neither does the OCA's national cathedral in Washington, DC (St. Nicholas). They do for babies but not adults.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 02:26:52 PM by Reader KevinAndrew » Logged
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »

Tongue

Ours doesn't have the facilities either, but we use the river when its warm and built a modest size baptismal font out of an old oil drum, encasing it inside an insulated wooden box to use in the small narthex when it's cold. Cheesy It can be done.

In Christ,
Andrew
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 05:05:59 PM by Shlomlokh » Logged

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #188 on: February 26, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »

Here are a couple of message from Indiana, from 1998 and 2008, which illustrate the difficulty with Western Rite growth.  In October this year there will be a Joint Antiochian-ROCA Conference on Western Rite and I am hoping that mission will be a key topic on the agenda.  Anybody have any thoughts?

Subject:Re: Orthononsense and Alice in Jurisdictionland
On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, ST. PETROC MONASTERY
<stpetrocabbey@TRUMP...... AU> wrote:

>FROM: Fr. Michael, St. Petroc Monastery

> This Monastery has a task from our Archbishop to actively go and bring people into Orthodoxy - I have at present, current enquiries from clergy and people to become Orthodox in six cities. These will of necessity involve new Parishes - can you imagine the howls of clerical pain when these Parishes are erected?<

-oOo-

Reply-To:Orthodox Christianity <orthodox@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU>
Date:Thu, 14 Aug 2008

Dear Father Michael,

We have been listening for 10 years now, awaiting these "howls of clerical pain."

But all has been remarkably quiet and no clerics have been heard howling. :-)

I take it that these six Western Rite parishes in six Australian cities did not eventuate?

Now that you have 10 years of active missionary work under your belt, working to bring the Anglo-Saxon-Celts of Australia to Orthodoxy and have a seasoned and first-hand knowledge of the difficulties, what are your thoughts on the lack of interest in Western Rite liturgy?  In light of this lack of success do the monks of Saint Petroc envisage changes to their missionary approach?  It must be disappointing to the Archbishop that his hopes of the monastery bringing people into Orthodoxy via the Western Rite have not materialised.  Do you think that changing to the Byzantine Rite would be more successful in  mission work in Australia?

Fr Ambrose

-oOo-
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:17:25 PM by Irish Hermit » Logged
SubdeaconDavid
"...the spread of the light of Orthodoxy among the peoples of all the lands where our Church exists continues as an inseparable part of our mission": Metropolitan Hilarion, First Hierarch of ROCOR
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church Abroad (ROCOR)

Помилуй мя Боже, по велицей милости Твоей

« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2011, 09:50:49 PM »

Here are a couple of message from Indiana, from 1998 and 2008, which illustrate the difficulty with Western Rite growth.  In October this year there will be a Joint Antiochian-ROCA Conference on Western Rite and I am hoping that mission will be a key topic on the agenda.  Anybody have any thoughts?

Subject:Re: Orthononsense and Alice in Jurisdictionland
    On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, ST. PETROC MONASTERY
    <stpetrocabbey@TRUMP...... AU> wrote:

>FROM: Fr. Michael, St. Petroc Monastery

> This Monastery has a task from our Archbishop to actively go and bring people into Orthodoxy - I have at present, current enquiries from clergy and people to become Orthodox in six cities. These will of necessity involve new Parishes - can you imagine the howls of clerical pain when these Parishes are erected?<

-oOo-

Reply-To:Orthodox Christianity <orthodox@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU>
    Date:Thu, 14 Aug 2008

Dear Father Michael,

We have been listening for 10 years now, awaiting these "howls of clerical pain."

But all has been remarkably quiet and no clerics have been heard howling. :-)

I take it that these six Western Rite parishes in six Australian cities did not eventuate?

Now that you have 10 years of active missionary work under your belt, working to bring the Anglo-Saxon-Celts of Australia to Orthodoxy and have a seasoned and first-hand knowledge of the difficulties, what are your thoughts on the lack of interest in Western Rite liturgy?  In light of this lack of success do the monks of Saint Petroc envisage changes to their missionary approach?  It must be disappointing to the Archbishop that his hopes of the monastery bringing people into Orthodoxy via the Western Rite have not materialised.  Do you think that changing to the Byzantine Rite would be more successful in  mission work in Australia?

Fr Ambrose

-oOo-
    The earlier quoted email from Hieromonk Michael (Mansbridge-Wood) or (Wood) predicated success that has not realised half a dozen thriving parishes since he wrote this in 1998.  In 2011 my understanding from ROCOR sources in Australia is that the Paruchia of St. Petroc has a limited number of operations:

The web references are not Petrochian sources but obtained from the Russian Church Abroad's Australian website at http://www.rocor.org.au/?page_id=2

• St. Petroc Monastery - Cascades, Tasmania http://directory.stinnocentpress.com/viewparish.cgi?Uid=321&lang=en- abbatial seat of Fr. Abbott Michael who is resident in the United Kingdom  now. No other resident monastics i.e.  St. Petroc's is currently empty.

St. Dyfan  Mission Sandy Bay Tasmania - 1 x subdeacon, 2 x regular laity and 1 non-Orthodox attendee (plus 4 others by account who attend occasionally) One of the WR congregation said they are looking for new worship premises
    http://directory.stinnocentpress.com/viewparish.cgi?Uid=376&lang=en

St. Stephen Mission Launceston Tasmania: consists of the only ROCOR Western-rite priest left living in Australia, Fr. Barry Jefferies and his matushka who serve the Hobart St. Dyfan's congregation fortnightly.http://directory.stinnocentpress.com/viewparish.cgi?Uid=169&lang=en

University Western-rite Mission Sandy Bay Tasmania - see St. Dyfan's entry because St. Dyfan's use the University Ecumenical Chapel.[urlhttp://www.rocor.org.au/?page_id=1486][/url]

The total for the Paruchian Western-rite in Australia is thus very small.  No Western-rite churches or missions in the major metropolitan cities at all- Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth.  Tiny Hobart has one mission left and one priest in Tasmania - currently this one priest is the sum total  oF ROCOR WR clergy in Australia at time of writing with no more than 10 laity in Australia.

By contrast, if one looks at the ROCOR Australian clergy directory you will see a number of Australian priests, and English language missions in Melbourne (2), an indigenous Aboriginal mission, and English language missionary activity in most parishes of note such as Adelaide, with Fr. Peter Hill, an Australian priest-monk in Dandenong parish and more.  The converts do keep coming, if not in droves but steadily, and all seem to integrate in time into the Russian Church Abroad.  The monastic presence is especially vibrant for Australians in the Byzantine rite with men and women monastics of Australian convert origin.

Perhaps by being extra-diocesan and not under the authority of local bishops and deans, the Western-rite world-wide is being starved of helpful association with brother clergy, of funds because the massive Byzantine rite at leats has scope for significant fund raising, of well-meaning laity and clergy who just might be supportive of Western-rite Orthodox missionary life. Perhaps integration of the Western-rite into the wider Orthodox Church's ecclesiastical and cultural life could bring much needed support and life.  Indeed with elderly clergy, without Western-rite ordinations, the future of the Paruchia is most uncertain in Australia at least.  

There is no doubt that Fr. Michael (Mansbridge-Wood)  had put in a lot of effort in his Western-rite endeavours over the years, and I am sure it saddens him that so much hard work has  been unfruitful at least in terms of what he wrote in 1998 predicting parishes in most Australian major cities. Nonetheless the Paruchia has it's admirers and loyalists who value the efforts expended to revive English Western-rite Orthodoxy. Hopefully today's admission of a Columban novice will be a moment of joy in the life of the Paruchia. May the Lord bless Sister Margaret and Fr. Michael in this solemn revival of Columban rule monastic life to Orthodoxy. This is a sign of life and hope.

It is useful to reflect on what has not worked and to find ways of moving forward.  In regard to Australia, I think that the Western-rite is likely to merge with the Byzantine-rite through sheer necessity in time if there are no Western-rite priests available to serve.  Indeed unless converts are made and retained, the Western-rite will never have the critical mass to survive,   Hopefully the fact that the Byzantine rite of ROCOR commemorate the Western saints and honours the pre-Schism history of the Western Church liturgically, and the fact that so much worship is in English now will be of comfort down the track.

If the Byzantine rite is what the majority of converts to Orthodoxy are embracing why is that?  Maybe to younger generations of western people in a world where travel, the internet and modern education have broken down cultural walls, the barriers to the West embracing the East are no longer relevant, except for a minority. Maybe the cultural relevance of a form of Western Christianity that is no loner visible in the liturgical life of the Latin Church and Anglican Church ( the Tridentine mass and BCP mass) means that Western people are more and more unchurched, and find the Eastern Church no harder to connect with than the Western Church?  Indeed without possessing in the main, parish church buildings, the Western-rite is at a further disadvantage in winning converts.

None of this is to deny the efficacy of the pre-Schism Western Orthodoxy.  After all it is Eastern Orthodox who have revived the veneration of saints and holy places long forgotten in Western European Christian history both Anglican and Latin.[/list]
    « Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:17:44 PM by SubdeaconDavid » Logged

Visit my blog@  http://orthodoxtasmania.blogspot.com

To the Russians abroad it has been granted to shine in the whole world  the light of Orthodoxy, so that other peoples, seeing their good deeds, might glorify our Father in Heaven, and thus obtain salvation
    S John of Shanghai & San Francisco
    Ebor
    Vanyar
    Taxiarches

« Reply #190 on: February 27, 2011, 12:43:49 PM »

But that is, as you wrote, how you feel.  There are others for whom the Byzantine Liturgy is not culturally nor worshipfully "comfortable".  I am one such.

Ebor
    I understand that this is how you feel.  What exactly do you find challenging about the Byzantine rite?

I find your use of "challenging" to be interesting as though this is a subject in school.  It is not, but a matter of personal worship and Our Lord.  It is possible that were I to write of some things on the EO liturgy that there would be others who would be hurt or think that I was somehow "attacking" their personal devotions and worship.  Since I am a guest here, I do not wish to cause such offense even inadvertently. 

I also feel that for me at least, that submission to God and His Church requires of me that I give up in some way my own preferences, which is how I have approached religion for much of my life. 

This seems to say, please correct me if I am misunderstanding you, that you hold that only the practices of the EO are the one proper and acceptable way to worship the Father and Creator of all things.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
    Ebor
    Vanyar
    Taxiarches

« Reply #191 on: February 27, 2011, 12:45:25 PM »

Ebor

Regards,
    Margaret
    in Edinburgh

And some are not ducks nor any other kind of water fowl, but belong in a different "ecosystem".   Wink 

Regards,

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
    turtlemom

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

A cartoon of me with Emmy, my mobility service dog

turtlemom
    « Reply #192 on: March 23, 2014, 08:36:16 PM »

Sunday, March 21, 2010
    New Western Rite Abbot

I discovered on Tuesday, March 16, 2010, that Fr. Hieromonk David (Pierce) has been confirmed in the rank of Abbot by Metropolitan Hilarion, first hierarch of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia. Dom David's community, formerly named Holyrood after the Holy Cross, now bears the name "Dormition Monastery."

Source :: http://sarisburium.blogspot.com/

Today is Sunday, March 23, 2013

Abbot David (Pierce), my beloved Godson, fell asleep in the Lord at 2:45am today as the result of an aggressive brain cancer.

May his Memory be Eternal.

Please pray for his soul, especially in these first 30 days. And please pray for me, the unworthy handmaiden of God, Elizabeth. I am just devastated.

With Love in Christ, and trusting in the Resurrection,
    Elizabeth Riggs
    « Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:49:07 PM by turtlemom » Logged

With Love in Christ,
    Dr. Elizabeth, the sinner
    and Perennial Student
    biro
    Excelsior
    Site Supporter
    Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
    « Reply #193 on: March 23, 2014, 08:45:02 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Memory eternal.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
    SolEX01
    Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2014, 10:57:05 PM »

May his memory be eternal.
    Mockingbird
    Mimus polyglottos

Faith: Christian
    Jurisdiction: Anglican (Episcopal Church)

« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2014, 11:46:24 PM »

Abbot David (Pierce), my beloved Godson, fell asleep in the Lord at 2:45am today as the result of an aggressive brain cancer.
    So sorry for your loss.  Lux perpetua luceat ei.

Forþon we sealon efestan þas Easterlican þing to asmeagenne and to gehealdanne, þaet we magon cuman to þam Easterlican daege, þe aa byð, mid fullum glaedscipe and wynsumnysse and ecere blisse.--Byrhtferth of Ramsey
    frjohnmorris
    OC.net guru

« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »

I have never been to a WR liturgy, but from what I've seen in the Internet, these liturgies look like Anglican liturgies.

These liturgies might attract former Anglicans but not Traditional Latin Christians because of some aspects of the liturgy itself (use of vulgar tongues, Anglican anthems, etc.).

The WR would probably be more succesful if they celebrated the liturgy in Latin (or at least part of it in Latin) and following the Latin tradition more closely.

In my country, an Orthodox Latin mass would be succesful if it's given propper promotion. However, the hierarchs would have to be careful so that this new mission doesn't cause confusion among the faithful or make others think that their church is a RC Church.

The Western Rite of the Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America uses the Liturgy of St. Gregory, which is the pre-Vatican II Roman Mass with a few revisions to conform to Orthodox theology. I believe that some Western Rite Parishes even serve it in Latin, at least occasionally.

Fr. John W. Morris
    WPM
    Archon

« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2014, 03:55:59 PM »

I plan to attend & visit a Western Rite service this Sunday Cool thread God bless
    frjohnmorris
    OC.net guru

« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:39 PM »

I plan to attend & visit a Western Rite service this Sunday Cool thread God bless

I should have mentioned that the Western Rite of the Antiochian Archdiocese also uses the Liturgy of St. Tikhon, which is 1928 American Book of Common Prayer with a few revisions to conform to Orthodox doctrine. So you may visit an Antiochian Western Rite parish and not see the Liturgy of St. Gregory.

Fr. John W. Morris
    Rdunbar123

« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2014, 06:31:06 AM »

I was RC for 61 years, received into Orthodoxy  2 yrs ago. I staters instructions I. A Greek church, liked the litugy, but couldn't understand it. On this site found reference to WR. Attended a service and loved it, I work away from my home parish and sometimes attend the Eastern Liturgy(Antiochian ) in English and am starting to like it maybe better. Two points, our priest frequently in a sermon will start a sentence with" what we believe as Orthodox is........, we were a mission at first and recently built our first church, we are theologically orthodox. Diverse congregation few RC some Anglican, many from non liturgical background, point being it is insulting for some posters to look into our hearts and assume they know what motivates us. I know that if the western rite vanished, I would simply attend an Eastern rite. We are encourage to attend our neighboring parishes. Second point, even though the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom was the original one as described in the acts of the Apostles........but wait it isn't ,I still like the Liturgy of St Gregory. Let the hateful, ignorant replies flow freely.
    primuspilus
    Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #200 on: March 31, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »

I was RC for 61 years, received into Orthodoxy  2 yrs ago. I staters instructions I. A Greek church, liked the litugy, but couldn't understand it. On this site found reference to WR. Attended a service and loved it, I work away from my home parish and sometimes attend the Eastern Liturgy(Antiochian ) in English and am starting to like it maybe better. Two points, our priest frequently in a sermon will start a sentence with" what we believe as Orthodox is........, we were a mission at first and recently built our first church, we are theologically orthodox. Diverse congregation few RC some Anglican, many from non liturgical background, point being it is insulting for some posters to look into our hearts and assume they know what motivates us. I know that if the western rite vanished, I would simply attend an Eastern rite. We are encourage to attend our neighboring parishes. Second point, even though the Liturgy of St John Chrysostom was the original one as described in the acts of the Apostles........but wait it isn't ,I still like the Liturgy of St Gregory. Let the hateful, ignorant replies flow freely.
    Its not that people are hateful, its that unfortunately, being Eastern is synonymous with being Orthodox. Anything different and people think that somehow there is a "foreign element in the Church" to quote Met. Ware. These folks fail to realize that if Rome returned home, she would be Western Orthodox as she was before and would definitely not be using the Eastern traditions (notice the small t).

Also, there are some folks who are so anti-western that they see anything western as alien at best, and heretical at worst.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
    Gregory the Great
    DeniseDenise
    Tiredness personified
    Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
    Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #201 on: March 31, 2014, 10:02:59 AM »

Neither does the OCA's national cathedral in Washington, DC (St. Nicholas). They do for babies but not adults.

Argh

Haven't they been to the nearest 'feed and grain' store like everyone else?

Galvanized watering trough.

If a manger was good enough, so is a waterer.  Tongue

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
    primuspilus
    Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #202 on: March 31, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »

Argh

Haven't they been to the nearest 'feed and grain' store like everyone else?

If a manger was good enough, so is a waterer.  Tongue
    We're western rite and we baptize by full immersion. We DID go to the feed store and buy a "holy horse trough" Smiley

PP
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:11:35 AM by primuspilus » Logged

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
    Gregory the Great
    LBK
    Warned
    Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #203 on: March 31, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »

Or a scaled-down version of a "temporary" grain storer or a water tank, big enough for an adult to stand in chest-deep water. The church I attend has had one for at least 50 years, and it's still going strong.
    frjohnmorris
    OC.net guru

« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2014, 05:11:17 PM »

Or a scaled-down version of a "temporary" grain storer or a water tank, big enough for an adult to stand in chest-deep water. The church I attend has had one for at least 50 years, and it's still going strong.

Although I use a "holy horse trough," so that I can fully immerse the catechumen, a study that I have of the practices of every canonical jurisdiction in the United States, shows that most have an adult catechumen hold their head over the Baptismal font and pour water on their head three times. I also believe that is what they do with adults in Russia.

Fr. John W. Morris
    Agabus
    The user formerly known as Agabus.
    Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
    Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2014, 05:13:19 PM »

Although I use a "holy horse trough," so that I can fully immerse the catechumen, a study that I have of the practices of every canonical jurisdiction in the United States, shows that most have an adult catechumen hold their head over the Baptismal font and pour water on their head three times. I also believe that is what they do with adults in Russia.

Fr. John W. Morris
    What would your faithful say if you suggested using the river?

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
    Elisha
    Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris

I've seen horse troughs used a few times myself.
    frjohnmorris
    OC.net guru

« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2014, 05:39:17 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris

I would not use the nearest River, the Mississippi, because the filth of half the United States flows down it.  Other rivers and creeks in our area are filled with cotton mouth snakes or alligators, besides how would I get into the water to immerse them without ruining my vestments?  The horse trough works well. I have the person sit in it and then immerse them.

Fr. John W. Morris
    Nephi
    Section Moderator
    Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »

My (adult) baptism was with a large 100-ish gallon Rubbermaid container, draped with white cloth IIRC. I'd imagine a little cheaper than a metal trough.
    « Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:51:34 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
    Agabus
    The user formerly known as Agabus.
    Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
    Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2014, 06:03:18 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris

I would not use the nearest River, the Mississippi, because the filth of half the United States flows down it.  Other rivers and creeks in our area are filled with cotton mouth snakes or alligators, besides how would I get into the water to immerse them without ruining my vestments?  The horse trough works well. I have the person sit in it and then immerse them.

Fr. John W. Morris
    I was speaking purely tongue-in-cheek, though it would be kind of funny to see a triple-immersion happening down by the Lady Luck.

Being only slightly downriver from you, I would never advise getting in the water, even if the EP did bless the waters a few years ago.

I personally like the holy horse trough as I've seen it used. Sorta ties us to the redemption of the whole world.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
    Peter J
    Formerly PJ
    Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »

To put the OQ in perspective, how many WRO are there in the world? I realize accurate figures are hard to come by, but what's a good ballpark?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
    primuspilus
    Taxiarches

« Reply #211 on: May 13, 2014, 01:18:01 PM »

To put the OQ in perspective, how many WRO are there in the world? I realize accurate figures are hard to come by, but what's a good ballpark?
    I've heard anywhere from 2,000-6,000. Not alot but most are in our diocese. My guess is closer to the 2,000 number.

PP

Gregory the Great
    ialmisry
    There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
    Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
    Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #212 on: May 13, 2014, 01:28:09 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris

I would not use the nearest River, the Mississippi, because the filth of half the United States flows down it. 
    in Chicago you can use the river and have a combined funeral service.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
    A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
    and urgent strife sheds blood.
    If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
    if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                               and both come out of your mouth
    Peter J
    Formerly PJ
    Taxiarches

« Reply #213 on: May 13, 2014, 04:46:17 PM »

I've heard anywhere from 2,000-6,000.

Well that's not too bad. We only have about 8 thousand Greek Catholics ... Or was it million?

primuspilus
    Taxiarches

« Reply #214 on: May 15, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »

Well that's not too bad. We only have about 8 thousand Greek Catholics ... Or was it million?
    You'll right your ship soon enough Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great
    Deacon Lance
    Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
    Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #215 on: May 15, 2014, 04:03:48 PM »

If you are speaking of the Hellenic Greek Catholic Church there are 6 thousand if speaking of all Greek Catholic Churches there are about 7.5 million.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
    Peter J
    Formerly PJ
    Taxiarches

« Reply #216 on: May 15, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »

If you are speaking of the Hellenic Greek Catholic Church there are 6 thousand if speaking of all Greek Catholic Churches there are about 7.5 million.

The latter, all Greek Catholics. (I put in "thousands" as a joke ... never considering the alternate interpretation.)

primuspilus
    Taxiarches

« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2014, 08:18:55 AM »

The latter, all Greek Catholics. (I put in "thousands" as a joke ... never considering the alternate interpretation.)
    Well, you know what the saying is, "Broad is the gate...." Smiley

PP

Gregory the Great
    Peter J
    Formerly PJ
    Taxiarches

« Reply #218 on: May 16, 2014, 08:33:50 AM »

PP

Heh  Smiley but seriously I was a bit surprised by your figure. I definitely would have thought it was in the tens-of-thousands.

primuspilus
    Taxiarches

« Reply #219 on: May 16, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »

PP

Heh  Smiley but seriously I was a bit surprised by your figure. I definitely would have thought it was in the tens-of-thousands.
    It very well might be, but that is the last number I heard. If it was tens of thousands, then the Archdiocese would have even a bigger problem explaining why the entire Western Rite Vicariate's budget is significantly less than the office budget in Englewood.

PP

Gregory the Great
    Peter J
    Formerly PJ
    Taxiarches

« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2014, 09:09:50 AM »

PP

It very well might be, but that is the last number I heard. If it was tens of thousands, then the Archdiocese would have even a bigger problem explaining why the entire Western Rite Vicariate's budget is significantly less than the office budget in Englewood.

PP

Maybe I should not have been so surprised. After all, if you ask what degree of success (or whatever you want to call it) Greek Catholicism has enjoyed, the answer varies greatly (enormously) -- just compare the GC situation in Ukraine, Romania, Hungary, and Slovakia, with the GC situation in Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria, and Greece.

Peter J
    Formerly PJ
    Taxiarches

« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »

I think that most people who love the Western Rite also love Western theology and thought patterns.  Why only go for half of the Western tradition, when the Roman Catholic Church has the whole thing?

I realize this is a question from 4.5 years ago, but I was inclined to repost it (since nobody answered it) ...

Clemente

Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2014, 06:20:08 PM »

I think that most people who love the Western Rite also love Western theology and thought patterns.  Why only go for half of the Western tradition, when the Roman Catholic Church has the whole thing?

I realize this is a question from 4.5 years ago, but I was inclined to repost it (since nobody answered it) ...

By the same logic, so does Anglicanism.

Neither the RCC nor the Anglican Church has maintained the Orthodox tradition that once prevailed in the West, sadly. Hence, the opportunity for a revival of Western Orthodoxy.
    Nephi
    Section Moderator
    Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »

I think that most people who love the Western Rite also love Western theology and thought patterns.  Why only go for half of the Western tradition, when the Roman Catholic Church has the whole thing?

And the Roman Catholic Church also has a lot of problems. angel
    « Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:17:22 PM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
    Sleeper
    OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »

Why is WRO only "half of western tradition"?
    Tags: Western Rite 
    Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
      Print  

Jump to: