OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 02:41:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook sub-forum?  (Read 2072 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: December 05, 2009, 01:27:49 PM »

Hey y'all,

Since many of us are Facebook (and OC.net has it's own FB group), I wondered if a Facebook sub-forum would be useful?  For example, if anyone has a question about how to use Facebook features, we could ask them here.  What say all y'all?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 02:00:13 PM »

Why not.  Maybe just a sticky thread, now that I think more of it, since many of the questions would get answered fairly quickly, and then the volume of posting would drop off (IMO).

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »

^^Exactly.  Facebook is about to make some changes, so this might be helpful for the Luddites here (*ahem*.. me  Cheesy).  Gimme dat Christian side hug, y'all!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:11:34 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »

Why not.  Maybe just a sticky thread, now that I think more of it, since many of the questions would get answered fairly quickly, and then the volume of posting would drop off (IMO).

A sticky sounds good.  Interest in the OC.net group on FB waxes and wanes frequently. Wink

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 03:42:26 PM »

Could someone give a link for the FB group? Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 04:24:06 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2230200757

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 04:33:03 PM »

A sticky sounds good.  Interest in the OC.net group on FB waxes and wanes frequently. Wink

Guilty as charged.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 04:36:37 PM »

Guilty as charged.

Same here.  It's easier to keep up with OC.net at the source rather than secondhand.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 01:23:42 AM »

OK, so I have some FB friends who say that when I comment on their wall, my name is in black while others are not.  I looked at my settings and don't seem to see anything odd???  I have friends who've had their accounts hacked into.  How is that possible?  Also, how 'private' should a person's setting be?  I think I have mine to where people can search for me, but they'll only see my avatar and limited info.  Does that sound 'private' enough? 

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 02:18:47 AM »

Gabe, its odd that your name shows up in black to your FB friends. That indicates to me that you have limited your profile access only to friends. So if someone were to search your name on FB, they can't access your profile/add you as a friend. But like I said, odd that this extends to your friends. Best doublecheck your privacy settings.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 02:11:27 AM »

^^I played with the 'settings' for awhile and think I fixed it...

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 03:03:46 AM »

Hey y'all,

Here's an article about privacy on Facebook you might find helpful.

Want privacy on Facebook? Here is how to get some
NEW YORK – Over the past week, Facebook has been nudging its users — first gently, then firmly — to review and update their privacy settings.

You may have procrastinated by hitting "skip for now," but Facebook eventually took away that button and forced you to update your settings before continuing to use the site.

After finally accepting Facebook's recommendations or tweaking the privacy settings yourself, though, you might have made more information about you public than what you had intended.

At the same time, Facebook has given users many granular controls over their privacy, more than what's available on other major social networks.
--------------------------------------------------------------
For the rest of the article:  http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091217/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_facebook_privacy_settings

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: