OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 12:44:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Potential crisis between OCA and Bulgarian Church in Chicago?  (Read 1606 times) Average Rating: 0
AntonI

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Of the Bulgarian variety

OC.net

« on: December 05, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »

Whilst reading dveri.bg, I came across a story about protests in front of the Bulgarian church "St Ivan Rilksi" in Chicago where parishioners are suing the priest who wants to bring the Church under the omophor of the OCA (though its part of the Bulgarian Diocese).  I was wondering if someone can shed a light on what is going on?  From what I gather, there is an ongoing legal case as well.  Also, it appears that Metropolitan Jonah has been advising these individuals (according to the story).
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:55:40 AM by AntonI » Logged

Some of us must be sacrificed if all are to be saved

- Ambassador Kosh Naranek
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:13:41 AM »

Whilst reading dveri.bg, I came across a story about protests in front of the Bulgarian church "St Ivan Rilksi" in Chicago where parishioners are suing the priest who wants to bring the Church under the omophor of the OCA (though its part of the Bulgarian Diocese).  I was wondering if someone can shed a light on what is going on?  From what I gather, there is an ongoing legal case as well.  Also, it appears that Metropolitan Jonah has been advising these individuals (according to the story).

According to the OCA, it is already under Met. Jonah's omophor.
http://www.oca.org/DIRlisting.asp?SID=9&KEY=OCA-BU-CHISJR

I'll try to stop by and have a looksie.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »

And according to the parish history on that website, the "Bulgarian Diocese" it's a part of, is the OCA one as it was founded under the omophorion of (OCA) Archbishop Kyrill of Pittsburgh and the Bulgarian Diocese (which means its under Met. Jonah now in his role as locum tenens for the Bulgarian Diocese since the repose of his Eminence)

Are you sure the Church of Bulgaria is involved at all? Or might this just be an internal parish issue?

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »

Wait, if it is already OCA... so what's the protest about?  Do they want to be a patriarchal parish?

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
AntonI

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Of the Bulgarian variety

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »

Well, from what I gather, Father George might be right in that they might want to jump ship to Metropolitan Joseph...though I could be wrong.  I do know that there were discussions of the Bulgarian Diocese returning to the BOP (as the Romanians considered) but as far as I understood it, many members of the Diocese are not native-Bulgarians so that idea never came to anything.  

I read that Chicago has about 100,000 Bulgarians so it would not surprise me if many of them would prefer to be under the BOC, especially if they've moved to the US and want ties back to the old country.

http://www.dveri.bg/content/view/10412/33/ is a link to the Article, with four links to previous stories.  The second one has a copy of a letter from Metropolitan Jonah concerning re-election of the parish council.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:46:11 PM by AntonI » Logged

Some of us must be sacrificed if all are to be saved

- Ambassador Kosh Naranek
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:59:15 PM »

Thank you for the additional info.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:06:33 AM »

Well, from what I gather, Father George might be right in that they might want to jump ship to Metropolitan Joseph...though I could be wrong.  I do know that there were discussions of the Bulgarian Diocese returning to the BOP (as the Romanians considered) but as far as I understood it, many members of the Diocese are not native-Bulgarians so that idea never came to anything.  

I read that Chicago has about 100,000 Bulgarians so it would not surprise me if many of them would prefer to be under the BOC, especially if they've moved to the US and want ties back to the old country.

http://www.dveri.bg/content/view/10412/33/ is a link to the Article, with four links to previous stories.  The second one has a copy of a letter from Metropolitan Jonah concerning re-election of the parish council.

There should be a sufficient number (out of the 100,000 that you mentioned) to form another church under the Patriarchate. Seems to me that the people who may want to jump ship, want to "steal" somebody else's ship along the way.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: