Author Topic: Who Performs the Sacraments/Mysteries?  (Read 2607 times)

Offline NewOrtho

Who Performs the Sacraments/Mysteries?
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:32:02 AM »
In Catholicism, there is the view that in certain sacraments, a non-priest/bishop can be the minister.  For example, deacons are able to baptize in ordinary circumstances, and laity and even non-Christians can baptize in emergency situations (i.e. imminent death).  A deacon can also be the witness of matrimony, since the man and woman are the ministers.  How does Orthodoxy view the ordinary ministers of the mysteries?  Can a deacon baptize?  Can lay or non-Christians baptize in extraordinary situations?  I know that Eastern Christianity views Matrimony differently, as far as it is something conferred by the priest (right?). 

Basically, who can and cannot celebrate the Mysteries of Orthodoxy?

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
Re: Who Performs the Sacraments/Mysteries?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:56:24 AM »
Each sacrament (apart from ordination) is done by a Presbyter. Ordinations are done by Bishops (at least 3 must participate). Baptism in emergency situations can be done by a lay person, but it must be a Christian. I've also heard that some monks, who weren't ordained, can confess.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
Each sacrament (apart from ordination) is done by a Presbyter. Ordinations are done by Bishops (at least 3 must participate). Baptism in emergency situations can be done by a lay person, but it must be a Christian. I've also heard that some monks, who weren't ordained, can confess.

A slight correction to Heorhij's post: Ordination of a priest only requires one bishop, not three. Consecration of a bishop requires three bishops to participate.

Confessor-monks who are not ordained are indeed possible, and exist in reasonable numbers.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »
A slight correction to Heorhij's post:

I'm sure you meant "Mike's post."
"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"
Met. Meletios of Nikopolis & Preveza, from his ordination.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »
I've also heard that some monks, who weren't ordained, can confess.

Confessor-monks who are not ordained are indeed possible, and exist in reasonable numbers.

Confess, yes - absolve, no.  IIRC, monks and nuns who have the blessing to hear confession then send the person to a priest (with whom they have an arrangement) for the prayers of forgiveness/absolution.

"O Cross of Christ, all-holy, thrice-blessed, and life-giving, instrument of the mystical rites of Zion, the holy Altar for the service of our Great Archpriest, the blessing - the weapon - the strength of priests, our pride, our consolation, the light in our hearts, our mind, and our steps"

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:41:16 PM »
I have heard this before, but with the addition that a monk who is not a priest may often hear a confession, as a spiritual father, but only a priest can pray the prayers of absolution, which could be requested later. Is that correct?

moments later: should have waited a minute or two before posting! answer already there!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:42:10 PM by genesisone »

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »
moments later: should have waited a minute or two before posting! answer already there!

It's ok - that sort of thing happens to most of us (questions being answered as we type, and we don't realize it) at one point or another on here.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 06:15:17 PM »
A slight correction to Heorhij's post:

I'm sure you meant "Mike's post."

Thank you. Not enough coffee ...  :-[
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.