OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 02:03:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who Performs the Sacraments/Mysteries?  (Read 2488 times) Average Rating: 0
NewOrtho

Faith: Catholic (SLOWLY going towards Orthodoxy)

« on: December 05, 2009, 04:32:02 AM »

In Catholicism, there is the view that in certain sacraments, a non-priest/bishop can be the minister.  For example, deacons are able to baptize in ordinary circumstances, and laity and even non-Christians can baptize in emergency situations (i.e. imminent death).  A deacon can also be the witness of matrimony, since the man and woman are the ministers.  How does Orthodoxy view the ordinary ministers of the mysteries?  Can a deacon baptize?  Can lay or non-Christians baptize in extraordinary situations?  I know that Eastern Christianity views Matrimony differently, as far as it is something conferred by the priest (right?). 

Basically, who can and cannot celebrate the Mysteries of Orthodoxy?
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 08:56:24 AM »

Each sacrament (apart from ordination) is done by a Presbyter. Ordinations are done by Bishops (at least 3 must participate). Baptism in emergency situations can be done by a lay person, but it must be a Christian. I've also heard that some monks, who weren't ordained, can confess.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »

Each sacrament (apart from ordination) is done by a Presbyter. Ordinations are done by Bishops (at least 3 must participate). Baptism in emergency situations can be done by a lay person, but it must be a Christian. I've also heard that some monks, who weren't ordained, can confess.

A slight correction to Heorhij's post: Ordination of a priest only requires one bishop, not three. Consecration of a bishop requires three bishops to participate.

Confessor-monks who are not ordained are indeed possible, and exist in reasonable numbers.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

A slight correction to Heorhij's post:

I'm sure you meant "Mike's post."

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:40:31 PM »

I've also heard that some monks, who weren't ordained, can confess.

Confessor-monks who are not ordained are indeed possible, and exist in reasonable numbers.

Confess, yes - absolve, no.  IIRC, monks and nuns who have the blessing to hear confession then send the person to a priest (with whom they have an arrangement) for the prayers of forgiveness/absolution.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:41:16 PM »

I have heard this before, but with the addition that a monk who is not a priest may often hear a confession, as a spiritual father, but only a priest can pray the prayers of absolution, which could be requested later. Is that correct?

moments later: should have waited a minute or two before posting! answer already there!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:42:10 PM by genesisone » Logged
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:53:50 PM »

moments later: should have waited a minute or two before posting! answer already there!

It's ok - that sort of thing happens to most of us (questions being answered as we type, and we don't realize it) at one point or another on here.

---------------------
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 06:15:17 PM »

A slight correction to Heorhij's post:

I'm sure you meant "Mike's post."

Thank you. Not enough coffee ...  Embarrassed
Tags: baptism priesthood Holy Mysteries priests sacraments deacons 
Pages: 1   Go Up