OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 10:28:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite prayer books  (Read 1497 times) Average Rating: 0
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« on: December 04, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »

What are your favorite prayer books to use? I use the Jordanville.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »

I've tried about five different ones at this point, and I always end up back with the Jordanville.
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:30:45 AM »

HTM, and the Orthodox western rite Book of Common Prayer.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 02:42:15 AM »

There can be only one - the Jordanville!

And especially in its original thetokos-less edition.  Thanks to a blessing from Metropolitan Laurus this has been reprinted in the UK by a deacon of the Russian Church Abroad.

Btw,  the Russian version of the Jordanville Prayer Book is the most popular prayer book in Russia itself.

Vlad
Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 02:43:58 AM »

There can be only one - the Jordanville!

And especially in its original thetokos-less edition.  Thanks to a blessing from Metropolitan Laurus this has been reprinted in the UK by a deacon of the Russian Church Abroad.

Btw,  the Russian version of the Jordanville Prayer Book is the most popular prayer book in Russia itself.

I really like the Jordanville too. Whats the Theotokos-less edition?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 02:49:09 AM by Vlad » Logged
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 05:06:39 AM »

When Jordanville, under the influence of OCA books, went through the original Jordanville Prayer Book and replaced the phrase "Mother of God" with "Theotokos" there was a surprising reaction from the English Orthodox and those in the British Commonwealth.   They simply refused to use the "theotokos" version.  For several decades we actually photocopied the old Jordanville Prayer Book for new converts and some of us (myself included) had our older version rebound when it fell apart.

A few years ago Metropolitan Laurus took pity on us all and authorised the reprinting of the original version of the Prayer Book, with "Mother of God" instead of "Theotokos."  We were very happy with this.

So, it may seem a bit odd but the English speaking Orthodox are divided between the sect of the "Mother of Godders" and the "Theotokians."

Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 09:52:43 PM »

When Jordanville, under the influence of OCA books, went through the original Jordanville Prayer Book and replaced the phrase "Mother of God" with "Theotokos" there was a surprising reaction from the English Orthodox and those in the British Commonwealth.   They simply refused to use the "theotokos" version.  For several decades we actually photocopied the old Jordanville Prayer Book for new converts and some of us (myself included) had our older version rebound when it fell apart.

A few years ago Metropolitan Laurus took pity on us all and authorised the reprinting of the original version of the Prayer Book, with "Mother of God" instead of "Theotokos."  We were very happy with this.

So, it may seem a bit odd but the English speaking Orthodox are divided between the sect of the "Mother of Godders" and the "Theotokians."

Ah I see mine is the Theotokos version. I like it a lot I have never used any other prayer books though so I guess I dont really know if there is anything better out there but I highly doubt it. The Jordanville is very good.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »

I like the Jordanville but for me, my favorite is the Old Orthodox Prayer Book which are the prayers according to the Old Rite (Old Believers). I like the translation better than the Jordanville plus it includes the Hours plus a few more canons and in the back of the book they have various instructional material for fasting, prostrations, the sign of the Cross, communion, etc and it also includes an explanation of the lestovka (Old Believer prayer rope) and includes a chart that explains how services can be replaced by the Jesus Prayer when not able to go to the service. It is in both Slavonic and English. In the older first edition of the prayer book, it also included excerpts from the book A Son of the Church which was quite nice but for some reason they took it out of the second printing. I cannot say enough good things about this prayer book.
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »

I am just fine with both titles.  I can see it being a big deal for Catholics and Anglicans because of the historical precedent, but most Evangelical Protestants aren't attached to any titles as they only refer to her at Christmas time as "Mary."

Do the Russians use Theotokos, or do they translate the term into something like Mother of God in Slavonic?
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 10:28:25 PM »

Do the Russians use Theotokos, or do they translate the term into something like Mother of God in Slavonic?

In Slavonic, Mother of God is Bogoroditsa.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 10:28:48 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 11:23:27 PM »

So they don't call her Theotokos (directly)?
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »

So they don't call her Theotokos (directly)?

No, since in both the Slavonic Jordanville prayer book and the Old Rite Slavonic text it says Bogoroditsa. Bogoroditsa is only a translation of the Greek word Theotokos
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:31:21 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 11:52:18 PM »

I like the Jordanville but for me, my favorite is the Old Orthodox Prayer Book which are the prayers according to the Old Rite (Old Believers). I like the translation better than the Jordanville plus it includes the Hours plus a few more canons and in the back of the book they have various instructional material for fasting, prostrations, the sign of the Cross, communion, etc and it also includes an explanation of the lestovka (Old Believer prayer rope) and includes a chart that explains how services can be replaced by the Jesus Prayer when not able to go to the service. It is in both Slavonic and English. In the older first edition of the prayer book, it also included excerpts from the book A Son of the Church which was quite nice but for some reason they took it out of the second printing. I cannot say enough good things about this prayer book.

I second the Old ORthodox Prayerbook recommendation.  I use it regularly at home.  However, I recently acquired a copy of the Publican Prayerbook published by the Melkite (Catholic) Eparchy of Newton which follows the Jordanville prayerbook only with better English (IMHO).  While I do miss the Thees and Thous of Jordanville (it just uses You and its derivations) , I think the actual syntax is much better than in the Jordanville book; sentences just flow better and are easier to understand.  One of the problems I had with the Jordanvile book was its overuse of semicolons and commas.  Many of the prayers were just one big run-on sentence.  The Publican Prayerbook manages to translate things in much the same way but does a better job, I think, of making a thought or point in normal English.  From the prayers I've compared, it doesn't seem the PP skips any words or translates something weakly.  I've been using this for the past couple weeks now and it's really been a help.  I even get out of bed early enough now to say all the prayers (I am NOT a morning person).  Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 01:41:12 AM »

I wish that the Old Believer prayerbook was available in an "only English" edition.  Having the book be twice the required size is cumbersome for me, for whatever reason!
bkovacs

Faith: Byzantine Christian

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 01:44:20 AM »

I actually have both the Jordanville and the HTM prayerbook (which I just got). Both are good and inexpensive. The HTM has Small Compline, which I like. The Jordanville has more individual prayers which is also nice. So far I like them both equally.  Prayer books are like Bibles, it's good to have more than just one. They all have their similarities and differences. Smiley
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 01:49:36 AM by bkovacs » Logged

"We knew not whether we were in heaven or on earth, for surely there is no such splendor or beauty anywhere on earth." The Divine Liturgy at Hagia Sophia.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »

I alternate between the Jordanville, and a small UOC prayer book I received after my first holy confession at the age of 7. It too, is "Theotokos-less."  laugh

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »

Prayer books are like Bibles, it's good to have more than just one. They all have their similarities and differences. Smiley

Indeed. I do have a few. With the Old Believer prayer book I have the Jordanville in both English and Slavonic and I also have a Coptic Agpeya but I have chosen the Old Rite one for my established rule of prayer. Sometimes though, I do like to do Compline so I use the Old Rite Horologion for that since it comes in handy with troparia for everyday of the year so during Compline, all I have to do is flip ahead in the book to get the troparia though the only problem is that all of the Saints in the Old Rite Horologion are all pre Old Believer schism so the majority of my favorite Saints (St. Seraphim of Sarov, the Optina Elders, St. Paisius Velichkovsky, St. Herman, and St. John of San Francisco being some of them) are not included so I will probably get the Jordanville Horologion since I believe that also includes daily troparia and it has other Saints included.
Tags: Jordanville Prayer Book prayer book Publican prayer book 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: