OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 08:00:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptism through pouring?  (Read 2683 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleepyhead

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« on: December 04, 2009, 06:00:40 PM »

Dear all,

It has not yet been two years since I was baptised, and most things Orthodox are still new to me. I hope this is the right forum to post this question in, if it isn’t then  by all means feel free to move it . Smiley
My question is about baptism; I apologise in advance if the question has been brought up recently.

Here goes: From what I was told by my former parish priest and all other sources I have come across, the mystery of baptism in the Orthodox Church takes place through triple immersion ( this is how I was baptised).

I recently changed not only parish but also jurisdiction due to moving.
On a couple of occasions, I have noticed baptisms here taking place through pouring. Being newly baptised myself and only now really being confronted with life in a new place I  was surprised to see this, mainly because baptism through triple immersion  is what I was told was the general rule and pouring the exception. It is not my place to go stick my nose where it doesn’t belong – particularly not canonical rules-, but I am quite confused and just need to sort this confusion out. Perhaps the parishes in question lacked  properly sized baptismal fonts or something (I am not being silly here, this could very well be the case). How common is it to baptise through pouring instead of immersion, say if said parish lacks a font or any other reason? I am just confused that it seems not uncommon; all answers are very appreciated.  Smiley

Kind regards,
Confused Sleepyhead
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:48:16 PM »

Would you explain what you saw physically?  I do not understand what "through pouring" is.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 11:14:08 PM »

Do you mean "aspersion"?

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:54 AM »

From what it sounds like you are describing it sounds like this parish just doesn't have the proper facilities for adult baptism. Most churches built prior to the 90's in America did not included an adult baptistery. Personally I would prefer the pouring of water over the illuminate then using a horse trough or kiddie pool as I have seen some places. 

Joseph
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 12:43:43 AM »

According to the Didache, here are the instructions on baptism and when pouring is allowed:

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism. And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:52:35 AM »

In the Romanian churches baptisms by "pouring" have been the routine for as long as one can remember, especially in Transilvania and Banat. Actually, if i think of it, I,ve never seen one done by immersion properly back home.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:53:35 AM by augustin717 » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:56:27 AM »

Pouring is affusion, sprinkling is aspersion.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ChristusDominus
High Elder

Faith: Latin Rite

Saint Aloysius Gonzaga

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 02:36:05 AM »

Yes, affusion. That's the word I was looking for. Thanks for the correction.

There is no more evident sign that anyone is a saint and of the number of the elect, than to see him leading a good life and at the same time a prey to desolation, suffering, and trials. - Saint Aloysius Gonzaga
Sleepyhead

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 03:01:38 AM »

Thank you for your replies! Smiley
Basil320 and Christus Dominus: I wrote "pouring" when I should have written "affusion"; my apologies.

Arimethea: it appears I need to edit my posts for clarity...Wink those baptised were children.

I think part of my surprise came from me just assuming that baptism almost always took place through immersion. Your replies cleared it up, thanks again!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:09:40 AM by Sleepyhead » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 06:10:03 AM »

My experience over the past nearly 40 years of chanting at christenings in a GOAA parish (under three different presiding priests, numerous assistant priests, including two Carpatho-Russians, and visiting GOAA priests, is that the child is lowered into the font, the priest raises and lowers the one to be illumined, holding the child with both hands on the chest/back, three times, and after each immersion, the priest pours water over the head of one to be illumined, with his right hand.  Adults bend over the font, and from a pitcher, water is poured over the head of the one to be illumined, three times. Once, I saw a bishop pull the child through the water, holding the child by the arms.

The idea of aspersion is shocking to me.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:14:34 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

Well aspersion is illicit in the Latin Church too, although it would not be considered invalid as long as the amount of water used was enough that it ran on the forehead.  I can only imagine it happening in an emergency situation and in that case the baptism would probably be conditionally repeated.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »

From what it sounds like you are describing it sounds like this parish just doesn't have the proper facilities for adult baptism. Most churches built prior to the 90's in America did not included an adult baptistery. Personally I would prefer the pouring of water over the illuminate then using a horse trough or kiddie pool as I have seen some places. 

Indeed - and I'm glad that the reported cases of actual "kiddie pool" baptisms seem a bit rare.

What would be great is if the parishes in a particular area had an arrangement that all adult baptisms take place at the one with the adult font...

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
TheProdigalDaughter

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »

Hi there,

I was recently baptised and received at the same time. I was baptised through the method of pouring three large buckets of blessed water over me - and I can tell you it was the most wonderful experience, very humbling as I stood there alone and the waters ran from my head down to the floor - I felt alive.  Cheesy

I too have much to learn about the Orthodox way, and initially this was odd to me, but the church didn't have anything big enough.

Bless

'Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.' Proverbs 27:17
Sleepyhead

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »

Congratulations and many years, TheProdigalSon! Smiley

- Sleepyhead
TheProdigalDaughter

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 11:11:20 AM »

Congratulations and many years, TheProdigalSon! Smiley

- Sleepyhead

Thank you, praise God! Cheesy

'Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.' Proverbs 27:17
Tags: baptism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: