OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 08:37:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christ is born in Arabic text?  (Read 3561 times) Average Rating: 0
orthoi

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: December 04, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »

I'm just starting to learn Arabic, and would like to learn the Nativity greeting, Christ is born, Glorify Him, but see it written in Arabic text.

For the record, my current teacher is Moroccan, and I've been told when I try to speak Arabic to the Yemeni immigrants where I live that my accent is worse than usual for an American, because my teacher is Moroccan.

Thanks.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »

I'm just starting to learn Arabic, and would like to learn the Nativity greeting, Christ is born, Glorify Him, but see it written in Arabic text.

For the record, my current teacher is Moroccan, and I've been told when I try to speak Arabic to the Yemeni immigrants where I live that my accent is worse than usual for an American, because my teacher is Moroccan.

Thanks.

LOL.  I'm suprised they can understand you at all, if you are speaking colloquial (most Moroccans who speak al-fuSHA, however, speak it flawlessly.

I don't have Arabic script on this computer, but the greeting is "wulida-al-masiiH! majjiduuh!"

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
orthoi

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »

LOL.  I'm suprised they can understand you at all, if you are speaking colloquial (most Moroccans who speak al-fuSHA, however, speak it flawlessly.

I don't have Arabic script on this computer, but the greeting is "wulida-al-masiiH! majjiduuh!"

Thank you so much.

He's teaching the class al-fu-SHA, but the people I know say I have a horrible accent and it's his fault because they maintain that Moroccans "can't speak proper Arabic". Since my oldest son and I will be going to Morocco in March to volunteer at a children's hospital, he's going to help us with some MCA.

I saw other comments on the site about how the Moroccans speak MSA with great precision. My tutor, who's also Moroccan, is very precise and stresses accuracy with al-fuSHA, so that really rings true for me. It also makes me crazy because my actual instructor is very laid back about grammar in this early stage, and stresses communication. I'm not making headway with either approach, unfortunately, because I don't study and practice enough.

At least, however, I knew there'd have to be some form majid and al-masiiH in the greeting. It helps me to see the script, but I still need the short vowel marks.
Thank you again.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »

Here it is:

المسيح ولد.  مجدوه

I know it as Al-Maseehu wulid, actually, mubatada' khabar construction.
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:48:48 PM »

Moroccans I've met seem to understand us Levantines just fine (I met only one with whom speaking in Fusha was necessary), but they switch vernacular dialects when speaking with us.  When they talk amongst themselves, however, you cannot understand a word.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 07:49:47 PM by SamB » Logged
orthoi

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:52:28 PM »

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it.

There are no Arabic speakers in our parish anymore. It would be incredibly helpful for me if there were.

Julie
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: