OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 08:00:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox relations with the Polish National Catholic Church?  (Read 1938 times) Average Rating: 0
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« on: December 01, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »

Could anyone tell me what the Orthodox Churches relationship to the Polish National Catholic Church is?  I understand that they are very similar to Orthodoxy in their theology (except that they use a western liturgy and wafer communion, statues, etc..  Has their ever been an attempt at intercommunion with hem by any local Orthodox Church?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »

There is none.  At one time there was an official Orthodox/PNCC Commission but it was dissolved.  Not sure why.  I suspect the PNCC had no desire to renounce their post-1054 but pre-Vatican I past, even while they reject the Western Councils after the Seven, IC, Papal Infallibility, Purgatory, etc.  They also have practices Orthodox don't approve of: married bishops, marriage after ordination, general absolution for adults without private confession, Sacred Heart devotion etc.  Also a large number of their priests are former RCC priests whose only problem with the RCC is their not allowing married priests, so probably not a big voice for unity with the Orthodox there.  I think one of their parishes did leave and join the AWRV.  St Augustine's in Denver?

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 08:37:31 PM »

There is none.  At one time there was an official Orthodox/PNCC Commission but it was dissolved.  Not sure why.  I suspect the PNCC had no desire to renounce their post-1054 but pre-Vatican I past, even while they reject the Western Councils after the Seven, IC, Papal Infallibility, Purgatory, etc.  They also have practices Orthodox don't approve of: married bishops, marriage after ordination, general absolution for adults without private confession, Sacred Heart devotion etc.  Also a large number of their priests are former RCC priests whose only problem with the RCC is their not allowing married priests, so probably not a big voice for unity with the Orthodox there.  I think one of their parishes did leave and join the AWRV.  St Augustine's in Denver?

I don't think they were PNCC, but Anglican.  Their retired pastor, Fr. David blessed our parish with retiring here.  Memory Eternal!

I remember talking to Fr. Keiser about the PNCC, and yes, he was bewildered by what the problem was.  But he was sure the dissolution came from the PNCC side.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »

I could be wrong.  Or perhaps they were Episcopal and went PNCC for a short stop-over before joining the AWRV?  It would be interesting to know what the Commission discussed and what the sticking points were.  I know with Rome the sticky wickets are all the former RCC priests that left, married, and became PNCC priests. 

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 09:48:06 PM »

I could be wrong.  Or perhaps they were Episcopal and went PNCC for a short stop-over before joining the AWRV?

Possible, I don't know all the details.  There is someone from that parish at our parish, but he is back in Denver for the holidays.  If I remember, I'll ask him.

It would be interesting to know what the Commission discussed and what the sticking points were.  I know with Rome the sticky wickets are all the former RCC priests that left, married, and became PNCC priests. 
It is interesting that when the Greek Orthodox hierarchy failed in Norway, the now Nordic Catholic Church went to the PNCC.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »

In 1920 several Parishes in Poland were received into the Orthodox Church as WRO Parishes. More here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags: Polish 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: