OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 07:48:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BOC considers retuturning to the Julian Calendar  (Read 9599 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: December 01, 2009, 04:24:01 PM »

Senior bishops have made it clear that in 2009 Bulgaria might celebrate Christmas on December 25 for the last time, if the Church decides to renounce the Gregorian Revised-Julian Calendar.

On December 20, 2009, the Holy Synod of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church is going to hold a meeting to consider the plea of a group of believers and their priest from the village of Chelopechene, asking that Christmas be celebrated on January 7. The plea was filed on November 20, 2009.

The local priest Mariy Dimitrov has been serving according to the Julian Calendar for the last 20 years in his parish with the special permission of Bulgarian Patriarch Maxim.

Those who filed the plea remind that a similar case for the restoration of the Julian Calendar in 1997 attracted the support of five bishops.

Bulgaria switched to the Gregorian Revised-Julian Calendar in 1916 1968, and has been celebrating Christmas on December 25 since it was restored as an official holiday after the end of the communist regime.

source
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:47:35 PM by mike » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:18 PM »

Whos striking out words in the article you or the supposed editor? If your gonna show the article in the quote box please don't show your commentary its confusing me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:31:52 PM by alexp4uni » Logged
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 04:47:29 PM »

Whos striking out words in the article you or the supposed editor? If your gonna show the article in the quote box please don't show your commentary its confusing me.
The strikethroughs appear to be mike's editorial changes since they're not found in the original article.  Yes, quoting a news article and editing its text to make it suit your own biases is rather bad form, since it attributes to the article itself statements that are solely your own.  A better way to offer a "correction" is to quote the article as is and offer your own commentary separately.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »

I've only corrected the text's errors.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 04:53:41 PM »

Hmm, that's interesting. My parish is Old Calendar because Met. Joseph allows us to be. It would be nice if the whole church used one calendar. Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:55:37 PM »

I realize how difficult it would have been to avoid doing so, since the "journalist" clearly doesn't know the difference between the Gregorian calendar and the Revised-Julian.

But I think they have a point; it would probably be better to note the needed corrections in your comments posted after the quotes.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 04:57:21 PM »

But I think they have a point; it would probably be better to note the needed corrections in your comments posted after the quotes.

Next time I'll do it in such a way.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »

I think you still have time to re-modify. I sure do that after clicking 'Post'. Mike I wasn't intentionally criticizing you but your signature says your fine with it.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »

Bravo to the Bulgarian Orthodox Church.  I hope it comes to fruition.  Now, if the other Revised Julian Orthodox churches would follow suit, I think that would go a long way to strengthening intra-Orthodox union against the onslaughts and dangers of ecumenism.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 06:30:16 PM »

One of the most substantial probems in Orthodoxy today is the difference in calendar use among ourselves; "some fast while others feast."  The calendar change is an example of why decisions in this church, which take too long to accomplish in my opinion, must be done in a conciliar manner, never-the-less, and not unilaterally (or partially multilaterally).

Thus, I would hope the Bulgarian Synod would grant an exception rather than hold fast to its 1968 calendar change, to avoid yet another break in communion.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »

From my Bulgarian foster son regarding this -

=============

This artcile is incorrect.  BOC switched to the new calendar in 1968, not in 1916.  I don't believe they'll do that - I hope I am wrong!  During the SOBOR last year, only Metropolitan Nikolai of Plovdiv was a vocal supported of the Old Calendar, but the Synod even refused to put the Old Calendar discussion on the agenda.  I very much doubt that much has changed in the last few months.  There are plenty of priests there that still follow the Julian Calendar with the blessing of the local Metropolitan.  I know of two priests myself that follow the Julian Calendar in the Diocese of Sliven with Metropolitan Joanikii's blessing.

====================

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 08:40:14 PM »

This sounds like a real victory for Orthodox tradition.  If Bulgaria goes down this path then maybe other Churches will follow?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 08:49:56 PM »

If the Synod of the Bulgarian Church don't realise that are not following the Gregorian Calendar to begin with, I don't think they should be making any changes. Hopefully this was the error of the journalist and not the Bulgarian Church Hierarchy.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 09:00:20 PM »

Every Orthodox church is on the Julian Calendar. Some just don't realise we've revised it.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »

....... the "journalist" clearly doesn't know the difference between the Gregorian calendar and the Revised-Julian.

Does anybody blame him?   The Revised Julian and the Gregorian will be identical for the next 800 years.

In 2800 the Gregorian Calendar will have a leap year but the Revised Julian will not.  So in 800 years time the Revised Julian will fall behind by 1 day.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »

Well, lets hope other churches return to the original Church calendar like Bulgaria is doing and then maybe we can soon have unity in the Orthodox Church.
HandmaidenofGod
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA (Ecumenical Patriarch)

O Holy St. Demetrius pray to God for us!

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 11:05:49 PM »

....... the "journalist" clearly doesn't know the difference between the Gregorian calendar and the Revised-Julian.

Does anybody blame him?   The Revised Julian and the Gregorian will be identical for the next 800 years.

In 2800 the Gregorian Calendar will have a leap year but the Revised Julian will not.  So in 800 years time the Revised Julian will fall behind by 1 day.

800 years of advancement and we'll still be a day behind? Now that truly IS an Orthodox Calendar!! lol

"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jer 29:11
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 11:10:57 PM »

800 years of advancement and we'll still be a day behind? Now that truly IS an Orthodox Calendar!! lol 

We'll only be "behind" viz a viz the Gregorian; we'll be more astronomically correct at that point, though.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 11:59:20 PM »

I thought this thread was going to be about Blue Oyster Cult, that maybe they liked the idea of being on a pagan calendar or something. Here it is, just another Orthodox calendar thread. Sad

There are many foolish priests out there.
LakaYaRabb

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 12:04:52 AM »

We should all be on the old calendar.
believer74

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 12:25:41 AM »

Am I naive? Why isn't everybody on the old calendar? Why did some switch, really?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 08:31:28 AM »

This post was merged in with the existing thread.

Quote from: Novinite.com
The Bulgarian Orthodox Church may decide in favor of restoring the Julian Calendar, which means that Christmas will have be celebrated on January 7 instead of December 25.

Senior bishops have made it clear that in 2009 Bulgaria might celebrate Christmas on December 25 for the last time, if the Church decides to renounce the Gregorian Calendar.

On December 20, 2009, the Holy Synod of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church is going to hold a meeting to consider the plea of a group of believers and their priest from the village of Chelopechene, asking that Christmas be celebrated on January 7. The plea was filed on November 20, 2009.

The local priest Mariy Dimitrov has been serving according to the Julian Calendar for the last 20 years in his parish with the special permission of Bulgarian Patriarch Maxim.

Those who filed the plea remind that a similar case for the restoration of the Julian Calendar in 1997 attracted the support of five bishops.

Bulgaria switched to the Gregorian Calendar in 1916, and has been celebrating Christmas on December 25 since it was restored as an official holiday after the end of the communist regime.

Huh? I thought that my Church is practically the only one using the Gregorian Calendar. I suppose they just confuse the New Calendar with the Gregorian Calendar.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 08:50:42 AM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »

I suppose they just confuse the New Calendar with the Gregorian Calendar.
Yes, I know. However, there is another thread about this here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24683.0.html

Perhaps you could explain this simple fact to Irish Hermit since I have been trying for years to explain the difference, yet he still insists the Gregorian is the Revised Julian.

Perhaps if you try......

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »

Perhaps you could explain this simple fact to Irish Hermit since I have been trying for years to explain the difference, yet he still insists the Gregorian is the Revised Julian.

Perhaps if you try......

I never said they were not different.  I am just saying that they are identical for the next 800 years.   Smiley

In 2800 AD the difference will become evident when the Revised Julian falls behind the Gregorian by one day.

At that time the Church will find itself confronted by a Revised Revised Julian lobby and we could end up with three Calendars in the Orthodox Church.   laugh
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »

Seven minutes.
Must be a record for me. Smiley

ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 08:50:49 AM »

Bulgaria switched to the Gregorian Calendar in 1916, and has been celebrating Christmas on December 25 since it was restored as an official holiday after the end of the communist regime.

It is actually true that Bulgaria (not the Bulgarian Church) switched to the Gregorian Calendar in 1916, between 1916 and 1968 Christmas was celebrated on January 7, celebrating Christmas on December 25 started after 1968, when BOC switched to the Revised Julian Calendar.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »

Yes, I know. However, there is another thread about this here...
"Oops! BOC is an acronym for Bulgarian Orthodox Church..." Lips Sealed
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 08:54:02 AM »

It is actually true that Bulgaria (not the Bulgarian Church) switched to the Gregorian Calendar in 1916, between 1916 and 1968 Christmas was celebrated on January 7, celebrating Christmas on December 25 started after 1968, when BOC switched to the Revised Julian Calendar.
How did the Bulgarian Church calculate Pascha? Did it follow the Gregorian Paschalion?

ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 09:20:08 AM »

No, it follows the Julian Paschalion. Only the immovable feasts (with the exception the feast of St. George) are celebrated according to the Revised Julian Calendar.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 09:21:38 AM »

No, it follows the Julian Paschalion. Only the immovable feasts (with the exception the feast of St. George) are celebrated according to the Revised Julian Calendar.
What day do you celebrate the Feast of St. George?

ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 09:31:53 AM »

According to the Julian Calendar, on May 6. So the Feast of Saint George is after the Great Lent.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:34:45 AM by ag_vn » Logged
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2009, 09:38:38 AM »

According to the Julian Calendar, on May 6. So the Feast of Saint George is after the Great Lent.
I see. Thanks.

Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »

The Revised Julian and the Gregorian will be identical for the next 800 years.

Is that right?  Huh.  I thought for sure that they were different, as those of us on the Revised Julian  calendar celebrate Pascha at exactly the same time as those on the Julian calendar.   Roll Eyes

We should all be on the old calendar.

We should all be on the Gregorian calendar, because it is accurate and the Julian calendar is not.  And because the arguments against celebrating Pascha at the same time as the Latins have been found to not hold water.  There is another thread somewhere where this was discussed.  

The problem with the Revised Julian calendar is the non-concilar and unChristian way in which it was forced on some people, not with the calendar itself.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:41:57 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »

This is the only problem I have with people using the Julian Calendar, is it screws up the dates in the mind of the faithful. Christmas is December 25th on the both the Julian and Revised, it is just that December 25th occurs 13 days later in the Julian. The feast of St. George is not May 6th it is APRIL 23, the question is when does April 23rd fall?

I fear the real problem will occur in 90 years when the separation will grow to 14 days and Christmas for those on Julian Calendar will now be January 8th on the Civil Calendar.

Joseph
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 11:53:26 AM »

Pascha on the Gregorian calendar tends to fall too early. I'd stick with the present situation, since, at last, it is more likely to have springlike  weather on Easter, when celebrated according to the Julian calendar.
ag_vn
Elder

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »

...The feast of St. George is not May 6th it is APRIL 23, the question is when does April 23rd fall?...

Thanks for clarification, that is what actually wanted to say. I am aware that May 6 is April 23 according to the Julian calendar. I should have written "May 6/April 23."
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »

...The feast of St. George is not May 6th it is APRIL 23, the question is when does April 23rd fall?...

Thanks for clarification, that is what actually wanted to say. I am aware that May 6 is April 23 according to the Julian calendar. I should have written "May 6/April 23."

Rather, "April 23/May 6" since from your perspective it is continuing to be on April 23, so that's the primary reckoning, and the civil date is secondary.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 01:51:01 PM »

Pascha on the Gregorian calendar tends to fall too early. I'd stick with the present situation, since, at last, it is more likely to have springlike  weather on Easter, when celebrated according to the Julian calendar.
Right, because those who debate the calendar issue are primarily concerned about weather. Roll Eyes

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »

Right, because those who debate the calendar issue are primarily concerned about weather. Roll Eyes
You might be used to having Easter in winter...
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2009, 02:29:09 PM »

Pascha on the Gregorian calendar tends to fall too early. I'd stick with the present situation, since, at last, it is more likely to have springlike  weather on Easter, when celebrated according to the Julian calendar.
You might be used to having Easter in winter...
Why would my experience make any difference? But for your information, it's usually very warm on Pascha here in the American South, often above 25 degrees. We have a cookout each year with roast goat.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 02:29:53 PM by ytterbiumanalyst » Logged

augustin717
Taxiarches

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 02:39:39 PM »

For this reason and the fact that we have kept Easter all our lives on the Julian calendar I and so many other people I talked to, would never like to switch to the Western Paschalion. Actually, where I come from people don't really know anything about Gregorian vs Julian calendars: they call Western Eastern "Hungarian/German Easter" and that alone gives them a strong sense that it's not theirs.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »

I am glad to hear that you do understand, the unfortunate truth is that many do not understand. When you talk to many who are un-educated about the church, who have lived their whole life on the Julian, they believe that Christmas is January 7th and not December 25th.

And as a note with the revised Julian our Pascha would still not align every year with the western celebration of Easter and I am not sure if this has to do with the calendar or the fact that we determine the full moon of Jerusalem rather then Rome.   

Joseph
Heorhij
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »

Well, lets hope other churches return to the original Church calendar like Bulgaria is doing and then maybe we can soon have unity in the Orthodox Church.

I don't want to fast during the New Year's celebration! The new calendar is fine as far as I am concerned. Smiley

Love never fails.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »

I don't want to fast during the New Year's celebration! The new calendar is fine as far as I am concerned. Smiley

Well, I just think that the whole Church should be on one calendar for unity. How can we be unified when we don't even celebrate the feasts (aside from Pascha) together? The Greeks celebrate Nativity on one day and the Russians will do it 13 days later. How can that be unity? I say we should go back to the Old Calendar since thats the way it was before when the Church was unified fully and not with all the break away groups. If I'm not mistaken, did not the calendar change happen when the Ecumenical Patriarch began his ecumenist efforts with Rome? First the calendar change and then the anathemas on Rome were lifted.

Plus, you have it all wrong. New Years is September 1st!  Grin
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »

Well, I just think that the whole Church should be on one calendar for unity. How can we be unified when we don't even celebrate the feasts (aside from Pascha) together?

Prior to Nicea, the various local Churches didn't share *any* feast days in common. At Nicea, the Fathers decided it would be a good idea that everybody celebrate the Feast of Feasts on the same day, but there was no suggestion made that any other part of the various liturgical calendars be standardized. Even once all the local Churches settled on Dec 25th for the Nativity (which also fixed the Annunciation on March 25th) there remained a number of major feasts that were not in synch between East and West. Calendrical unity is a relatively late development and largely a product of the Great schism. No Father of the Apostolic or Conciliar ages thought it at all relevant to actual unity.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
Tags: old calendar New Calendar calendar yet another Calendar thread 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: