OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 03:41:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Akathist to St. Augustine?  (Read 1067 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« on: December 01, 2009, 06:58:48 AM »

I recall reading that there is an akathist to St. Augustine of Hippo. Is it available somewhere on the internet?
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:32:36 PM »

Really?! I search a site with liturgical texts, googled it in Greek and English, checked Menologion - nothing!
Are you sure? Where did you read this?

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »

Really?! I search a site with liturgical texts, googled it in Greek and English, checked Menologion - nothing!

Then I've propably mistaken. Amazon mentions that the new edition of Fr. Seraphim's book on Augustine contains a service to Him. I might have mistook that as an akathist. Too bad that my local library's edition doesn't contain it.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »

Then I've propably mistaken. Amazon mentions that the new edition of Fr. Seraphim's book on Augustine contains a service to Him. I might have mistook that as an akathist. Too bad that my local library's edition doesn't contain it.

Alpo,

The service to St. Augustine in Fr. Seraphim's book has Vespers and Orthros (along with a canon to him) for Augustine's saint day (June 15 in the Orthodox Church) but it has no Akathist hymn. 

A lot of Akathists have been written recently.  Maybe you should write one.  I did for my patron saint, St. John of Damascus.  A Romanus the Melodist I am not, but I undertook it with love and humility.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: St. Augustine akathist 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: