OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:11:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reply To "SCHISMATICS" #2  (Read 848 times) Average Rating: 0
Byzantine Christian

« on: December 12, 2003, 03:34:54 PM »

Roll Eyes

St. John Chrysostom 54th Homily On the Gospel of St. Matthew.

3. What then saith Christ? "Thou art Simon, the son of Jonas; thou shalt be called Cephas.""Thus since thou hast proclaimed my Father, I too name him that begat thee;" all but saying, "As thou art son of Jonas, even so am I of my Father." Else it were superfluous to say, "Thou art Son of Jonas;" but since he had said, "Son of God," to point out that He is so Son of God, as the other son of Jonas, of the same substance with Him that begat Him, therefore He added this, "And I say unto thee, Thou art Peter, and upon this rock will I build my Church;"that is, on the faith of his confession. Hereby He signifies that many were now on the point of believing, and raises his spirit, and makes him a shepherd. "And the gates of hell" shall not prevail against it." "And if not against it, much more not against me. So be not troubled because thou art shortly to hear that I shall be betrayed and crucified."

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/200154.htm

Need I Say More?

In Christ
The Byzantine Catholic Cool
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 03:35:38 PM by Byzantine Christian » Logged
carpo-rusyn
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 08:58:27 PM »

Vlad Catholic

[Note of the author os this matters: I am not a sedevacantist or Feeneyite. I am a Roman Catholic and follow the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and reject communion with heretics and schismatics and also do not acknowledge the so-called papacy of John Paul II.]

Who are you calling heretics?Huh  Don't acknowledge John Paul 2??  Then you are not a RC as per RC canon law.

[Those that follow John Paul II are heretics and communion with them is prohibted. Just as with the so-called Orthodox communion is prohibited.]

Wow!  I just got done being called a graceless heretic by someone who said they were Orthodox and now by someone who claims (I emphasize the word claims) to be RC. My life is complete.

[  As far as true jurisdiction is concerned, groups like Society of Pius V are heretical for they reject the dogma of Christ on salvation and they have not true jurisdiction. Jurisdiction comes only from a true and valid pope.]

You are a sedevacantist!  Who is your pope?  Do you have a church or is it just yourself and a copy of Ott's "Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma"?  If so I think some of the pages are stuck together.

I hope no one thinks this person is an RC!! Embarrassed

Carpo-Rusyn
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2003, 12:03:19 AM »

Roll Eyes

St. John Chrysostom 54th Homily On the Gospel of St. Matthew.

3. What then saith Christ? "Thou art Simon, the son of Jonas; thou shalt be called Cephas.""Thus since thou hast proclaimed my Father, I too name him that begat thee;" all but saying, "As thou art son of Jonas, even so am I of my Father." Else it were superfluous to say, "Thou art Son of Jonas;" but since he had said, "Son of God," to point out that He is so Son of God, as the other son of Jonas, of the same substance with Him that begat Him, therefore He added this, "And I say unto thee, Thou art Peter, and upon this rock will I build my Church;"that is, on the faith of his confession. Hereby He signifies that many were now on the point of believing, and raises his spirit, and makes him a shepherd. "And the gates of hell" shall not prevail against it." "And if not against it, much more not against me. So be not troubled because thou art shortly to hear that I shall be betrayed and crucified."

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/200154.htm

Need I Say More?

In Christ
The Byzantine Catholic Cool

I understand that you were answering VladCatholic, Byz, but I can provide you with some quotes from St. John Chrysostom that show that he also believed that St. Peter himself, as well as his confession, was the Rock upon which Christ built the Church. I believe St. John also said that Christ Himself was the Rock upon which the Church is built.

See, the thing is, all those things are true.

The Fathers said St. Peter was the Rock, his faith was the Rock, and Christ was the Rock.

And our Lord did make St. Peter the leader of the Church, and the bishops of Rome were his successors.

There's no harm in admitting that.

It's the truth.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: