OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:05:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question...  (Read 4764 times) Average Rating: 0
VladCatholic
Moderated

OC.net

« on: December 12, 2003, 01:30:47 PM »

I do have a question for the so-called Orthodox that claim to such a title.

"Can one be saved outside your communion?"

VladCatholic  Grin

Saint Polycarp

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 01:45:44 PM »

VladCatholic  Grin

Vlad are you a Catholic? In communion with JPII? IF so please lighten up.
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 01:55:17 PM »

VladCatholic  Grin

Peace,
Polycarp

Vlad posted in reply to "the schismatics" that:
I am a Roman Catholic and follow the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and reject communion with heretics and schismatics and also do not acknowledge the so-called papacy of John Paul II.

And also reject SSPV, sooo what does that make you again, Vlad??
Cuz I thought there was ONE Roman Catholic Church. (Under JPII)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Amadeus
Elder

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 02:21:00 PM »

It's good Mor providentially stopped the thread (of the same subject) in the CathoDox board! Wink

Because I felt soooo hot upon reading it that thereafter involuntarily yelled:  "WOW!"

A budding ROAC, in reverse?

He could be SSPX, SSPV, or some other sedev!

AmdG

« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 02:23:35 PM by Amadeus » Logged
Saint Polycarp

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 02:49:42 PM »

VladCatholic  Grin

Peace,
Polycarp

Vlad posted in reply to "the schismatics" that:
I am a Roman Catholic and follow the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church and reject communion with heretics and schismatics and also do not acknowledge the so-called papacy of John Paul II.

And also reject SSPV, sooo what does that make you again, Vlad??
Cuz I thought there was ONE Roman Catholic Church. (Under JPII)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks for posting that. I was beginning to be concerned that he was a Catholic. I had a sneeking suspicion he may just be pretending to be a Catholic.
Peace,
Polycarp

Peace
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 02:57:58 PM »

Salvation is ultimately up to God only, but true life and illumination happens within Orthodox Christianity.

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 03:03:59 PM »

Now I know how EO's feel when ROACers post. Only this is worse!
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 08:53:48 PM »

It all makes me laugh.  Legalism legalism legalism.

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 10:15:45 PM »

Dear VladCatholic,

One of our members, Seraphim Reeves, used to be SSPX and now is joining the Orthodox Church. I am sure he would be happy to answer your questions as he saw the light.  Why not send him a private message?

anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 10:40:06 PM »

One of our members, Seraphim Reeves, used to be SSPX and now is joining the Orthodox Church.

Rather, a sect founded by former Russian Orthodox that claims to be THE Orthodox Church but is not in the Orthodox communion.

So except by this sect's self-definition, he isn't joining the Orthodox Church.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 10:41:55 PM »

LOL

I know Serge, I was trying to provoke something... Wink

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 11:57:33 PM »

LOL

Now if we could just attract a fire-and-brimstone Fundie and a sour-puss atheist to this site, our collection would be nearly complete.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Oblio
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2003, 12:06:25 AM »

Don't say that so loud Linus, Berean(fiftywhatever) might just hear you.  If not him, there are some rabid Calvinists over at CF that might come over.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2003, 12:07:03 AM by Oblio » Logged
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2003, 12:44:49 AM »

Vicki, maybe they could put it on pay-per-view, or put it on Orthodox TV.
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2003, 02:18:47 AM »

Forgive me for that last remark.  I guess we should pray for Vlad Catholic and Seraphim that they find the truth the path where God is leading them to.  

In some ways it is so much easier to reduce God to canons and rules and obeying them perfectly.  This can be so much easier than relationships (whether with God or our neighbor).  If you allow yourself to have a relationship with a person, you make yourself vulnerable to all that relationships bring.
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2003, 09:43:30 AM »

Vicki you said .but best to fight off absurdity with laughter than rage at it. Less soul-destroying.  

And whilst we all do that we are also coming closer together , working in a quiet sort of way towards  a form of union.

I probably haven't expressed that very well - but while we laugh and chuckle about the absurdites with which we are presented, and with which we do not agree - we also find common ground and that can't be anything but good.

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2003, 10:56:31 AM »

Well said, Vicki.  Well, Fr. did get up here this weekend.  We had Vespers last night and have liturgy this morning.  As much as I would love to have a resident priest so that we could have liturgy every week, I'm thankful to have what we do have.  When I first started looking into Orthodoxy, we didn't have any Orthodox presence here in Helena.  We have typica services the weeks we don't have a priest to serve liturgy.  

The hardest time for me to not have the services is Lent.  We don't get the pre-sanctifieds and we may only get Liturgy once or twice during Lent.  Fr. works a full-time job on top of being a priest, so he is not able to come here during Lent.  The retired priest (who is attached to the church there) from Billings comes up to serve if he can come.  He is in his 70's, not in the best of health, and usually comes by bus, so we are thankful when he can come.  

Orthodox churches have to start somewhere.  It takes a lot to get a mission going, and hopefully, we'll start to get this mission established enough that we can get our own priest.  It will happen in God's own time.  

To all the Orthodox on this list, have a blessed feast day for St. Herman of Alaska.  I am off to Hours and Liturgy (yes!) Grin
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2003, 09:34:17 PM »

I think that the best answer is to say that God only knows, He in his all merciful charity know that there are good and nouble men and women outside the mainstram Orthodox faith.

The problem is that there's not still a definitioon about when our communion ends or finish. I would say that Catholics, Non Chalcedonians, schismatics and some vagantes are somewhat very close to Orthodoxy it but I don't really know.

About the language and attitudes used by VladCath I doubt he supports Archbishop Lefebvre's group because Lefebvre always believed in the visible Church and the hierarchy and the Pope of course.

On the other side, Vlad reminds me very much of the Trent Union in Mexico. The Trent Union is the equivalent of the Russian Old Believers. They hold very old local rites (jaculatories, rubrics, etc) and defend them thus rejecting the more recent tridentine missals. They are extremely milenarist, they believe that the antichrist has taken the world and that the modern Roman Church is graceless and hijacked by the devil. They do not recognize any Bishop or Pope and believe that they and their 11 or 12 chapels are the only true catholic church.

Sadly they and their breakaway groups who are more radical and milenaritsic, face the same problems faced by the Old Believers and the Protestants. By rejecting visible hierarchy they have had to deny other sacraments.
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2003, 10:49:46 PM »

Its obvious to all that this VladCatholic does is takes his shot and then hides and see what the fall out will be.  Then we all fall for it.  VladCatholis - get a life.

JoeS Cool

VladCatholic  Grin

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2003, 11:01:42 PM »

LOL

Now if we could just attract a fire-and-brimstone Fundie and a sour-puss atheist to this site, our collection would be nearly complete.

Linus,

If this was a year or two ago, I could have been that "fire-and-brimstone Fundie".  Shocked

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2003, 01:36:17 AM »

LOL

Linus,

If this was a year or two ago, I could have been that "fire-and-brimstone Fundie".  Shocked

Been there myself, brother.

Hopefully you've lost the fire-and-brimstone and die but have retained the Fun.

Anyway, most of the Fundies I have known have been decent folks with a genuine zeal for the Lord. Now if we could just make Orthodox Christians out of 'em!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: