OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:12:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice for books  (Read 2951 times) Average Rating: 0
Vicki

« on: December 12, 2003, 10:54:33 AM »

Hullo all...At work I chose to buy books for a boy age 15 categories Informational/SciFi/Fantasy....

NOW...OBVIOUSLY...LOTR  Grin....BUT...any suggestions for informational? No religious themes allowed, and I have no idea about reading levels, here, as this is totally "blind"...I'd appreciate any thoughts by the weekend.

Vicki

"Him whom the heavenly hosts glorify and before Whom Cherubim and Seraphim tremble, let every breath and all creation praise, bless and exalt throughout all ages."
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 11:43:21 AM »

What about Terry Pratchett. I love his books and find them relaxing, amusing and refreshing.

PT

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
David
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 11:59:57 AM »

For informational

Beginner's Guide to Chess
An Introduction to Computer Programming
Philosophy and Ethics introductions

If he wants Sci Fi/Fantasy, he's probably bright enough so that these challenge him but do not go over his head completely.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 12:53:04 PM »

Good Omens is a joint novel written by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.  As such it blends their writing styles... Terry Pratchett is most well known for a series called Discworld.  I haven't read it, but my roomate likes it a lot.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 02:53:42 PM »

I have all the Pratchett books as well, except the latest in hardback waiting to be Christmas present for me.

I think they are a rollicking good read and the allusions get picked up more and more with every revisit. Maybe a 15 year old would not get them all but he'd get some and more each time he read them.

Anyone like Alan Foster and the Spellsinger series?

PT

David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 03:19:07 PM »

I've pretty much left the world of Sci-Fi/Fantasy (other than Tolkien of course).  I might pick up some more Asimov or Heinlein one day.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2003, 09:10:38 PM »

The Kingfisher Book of the Ancient World: From the Ice Age to the Fall of Rome

Letters to a Young Conservative - by D'Souza, Dinesh

This next one is a great one since it is written by teen himself:

Seen and Heard - by Williams, Kyle

also very good:

The Fallacy Detective - Bluedorn, Nathaniel and Hans

all of these books are available at the best book club out there - http://www.conservativebookclub.com

and in the sci-fi/fantasy genre - CS Lewis has Both out there - the Chronicles of Narnia and Out of the Silent Planet
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 09:14:01 PM by Br. Max, OFC » Logged

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2003, 09:39:47 PM »

check out seen and heard.  It's suppose dto be a very good book and the fact that it is written by one of their peers will help get a teen to read it.  AND it espouses good old CONSTERVATIVE values and shoots the lefts arguments full of holes Cheesy

"Where I live in Manhattan and where I work at ABC, people say 'conservative' the way people say 'child molester.' Leftist thinking is just the culture that I live in and the culture the reporters who populate the mainstream media
Oblio
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The Pointless One !

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003, 09:40:06 PM »

I might pick up some more Asimov

Years ago, back when one went to libraries for knowledge and information, I remember being enamored with a book by Asimov that went through each element of the periodic table.  I loved that book and checked it out several times, IIRC I racked up some good late fees for my parents with it too Smiley
Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003, 09:52:04 PM »

Building Blocks of the Universe
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003, 09:56:35 PM »

When I was about 12 my favorite books were -

A Wrinkle In Time
by Madeleine L'Engle

and

The Hero and the Crown
by Robin McKinley

Oblio
Elder

The Pointless One !

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2003, 10:03:34 PM »

Understanding Physics is another good one by Asimov.  A bit more in depth and requires some math knowledge (no calculus).  I actually own this one, I would pick up Building Blocks too if I saw it on a shelf (having a youngin' on the way Smiley )
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 10:06:15 PM by Oblio » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2003, 10:09:16 PM »

I have that book.  I didn't like it because, if I recall correctly, it didn't use metric measurements in explaining things.  Otherwise, it is pretty nice.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2003, 06:36:33 PM »

"How to Lie with Statistics"  an important explanation of how to tell if someone is trying to fool you with numbers, graphs, percentages and so forth.  A slim volume, but still in print as far as I know.  A copy ought to be given to ever high school student in the world...imho.

Science Fiction:  "Dune" by Herbert,  The "Mageworld" books by Doyle and Macdonald (I confess, I know them.  Good space opera). Hal Clement (may he rest in Peace, he died recently) wrote some great "hard science" SF.)  "The Lathe of Heaven" by LeGuin, but not her more recent works...

I'll try to think of some more.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 12:53:14 AM »

"How to Lie with Statistics"  an important explanation of how to tell if someone is trying to fool you with numbers, graphs, percentages and so forth.  

I have this book!!

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2003, 03:19:01 AM »

"How to Lie with Statistics"  an important explanation of how to tell if someone is trying to fool you with numbers, graphs, percentages and so forth.  

I have this book!!

Isn't it standard issue to politicians.  Angry

Justinianus
Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2003, 08:26:44 AM »

Conceptual Physics ny Paul Hewitt.  It is a great book that helps one understand the concepts without a heavy reliance on mathematics.

"If we truly think of Christ as our source of holiness, we shall refrain from anything wicked or impure in thought or act and thus show ourselves to be worthy bearers of his name.  For the quality of holiness is shown not by what we say but by what w
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2003, 10:25:12 AM »

I have reread some of the old favourites of mine from my youth, like starship troopers and I was rather surprised to find them a bit too xenophoic for my taste. I'm not PC at all but some old Sci-Fi has a very low opinion of aliens.

A bit like re-reading Biggles I suppose

PT

The Caffeinator
Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2003, 01:40:06 PM »

I can attest to Dune. It was a good read. I believe the series is good, but I only read to the third one. Another good sci fi book is Strangers in a Strange Land, by Heinlein. A little disclaimer though...I was unchurched when I read these, and I might think otherwise if I read them today.
David
OC.net guru

Retired GM

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2003, 02:22:44 PM »

One addendum, I like Stranger in a Strange Land for it's social commentary and interesting ideas, but it is a very sexual book, and might not be appropiate for a minor.

-Yazid Ibrahim
Karamazov
Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2003, 03:14:29 PM »

Am I too late to contribute?  Listening to CBC radio today, I heard some great book reviews for kids/teen books.  Here's a link to a listing of the books that were discussed:

http://www.cbc.ca/soundslikecanada/
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2003, 07:59:14 PM »

I have this book!!

No, no, Peter.  I've always read the point of this book to show how it is done, so that the reader will *not* be fooled by advertisements, politicians and such like.

Some of the Heinlein 'juvies' like "Star Beast" "Farmer in the Sky" and "Starman Jones" might be good and not as 'adult' as "Stranger".  "Startide Rising" and the others in that series by David Brin are good too.  And C.J. Cherryh's SF is well done.

Ebor
« Last Edit: December 16, 2003, 08:00:57 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Br. Max, OFC
Target of choice
OC.net guru

ECCE HOMO

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2003, 10:54:09 PM »

I have this book!!

NAH it tells you how too see THROUGH the lies, they tend to believe their own lies!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: