OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 06:35:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Welcome back  (Read 986 times) Average Rating: 0
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« on: December 12, 2003, 04:19:36 AM »

VladCatholic ,

I see you have returned - so here you are - a new thread for you to carry on where you left off on your last visit.

Why didn't you come back ?

We were concerned for your well being.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 08:50:08 AM by the slave » Logged

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Byzantino
Me Ortodox
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 07:41:59 AM »

I was concerned too, i was starting to miss his admirable Christian charity.

By the way here's a few other things that St. John Chrisostom said:

"...Peter and Paul, the columns of the Church and princes of the Apostles, the most glorious in heaven, the walls of the universe, the guardians of the earth and sea." (On Prayer, II)

"But observe how Peter does everything with the common consent; nothing imperiously." (On Acts of the Apostles, Homily 3).
(quite a contrast from the Vatican dogma wouldn't you say?)

"Then to show that they do not act despotically, that all are agreed in this, that with deliberation they write this--"It seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send men of ours whom we have chosen"

"Then all the multitude kept silence," etc. (v. 12.) There was no arrogance in the Church. After Peter Paul speaks, and none silences him: James waits patiently, not starts up[2] (for the next word). Great the orderliness (of the proceedings). No word speaks John here, no word the other Apostles, but held their peace, for James was invested with the chief rule, and think it no hardship. So clean was their soul from love of glory. "And after that they had held their peace, James answered," etc. (v. 13.) (b) Peter indeed spoke more strongly, but James here more mildly: for thus it behooves one in high authority, to leave what is unpleasant for others  to say, while he himself appears in the milder part.

"Wherefore," saith he [James], "my sentence is, not to trouble them which from among the Gentiles do turn unto God" '(v. 19), that is, not to subvert: for, if God called them, and these observances subvert, we fight against God. And[3] again, "them which from the Gentiles," he saith, "do turn." And he says well, with authority, the "my sentence is. But that we write unto them that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication"--(b) and yet they often insisted upon these points in discoursing to them....Thus he made an end of the whole matter;[2]' (Commentary on Acts of the Apostles, Homily 33.)

'Peter, to whose hands He committed the keys of heaven, whom He commanded to do and to bear all, He bade tarry here for a long period. Thus in His sight our city [Antioch] was equivalent to the whole world. But since I have mentioned Peter, I have perceived a fifth crown woven from him, and this is that this man [Ignatius] succeeded to the office after him.' (St. John Chrysostom's Eulogy of St. Ignatius.)

'For, said they, Peter and James and John, the chiefs of the Apostles and the companions of Christ...' (Commentary on Paul's Epistle to the Galatians, Chapter 1.)

'"Paul, an Apostle  not from men, neither through man." For,  these deceivers, as I was saying before, had said that this man was the last of all the Apostles and was taught by them, for Peter, James, and John, were both first called, and held a primacy among the disciples, and had also received their doctrines from Christ Himself...' (ibid.)

'Wishing to correct Peter of this fault of contradiction, Christ permitted that this Apostle should deny Him....Hear what He says to him: 'I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not.' He hold this language to him in order to touch him the more forcibly, and to show him that his fall would be heavier than that of the others, and that it would need a greater aid. For his was a double crime - that of contradiction and that of exalting himself above the others....How then, could Peter deny Christ? Because Christ did not say to him, 'that thou should not deny me,' but 'that thy faith fail not, that it do not entirely perish.' (On the Gospel of Matthew, Homily 82.)

"...Paul governed the whole universe....The Hebrew people were confided to Michael the Archangel, and to Paul were committed the earth, the sea, the inhabitants of all the universe - even the desert.' (Panegyric on St. Paul, Homily 2.)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 07:55:49 AM by Byzantino » Logged
the slave
intolerant of intolerance
High Elder

Faith: Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: UGCC

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 08:49:26 AM »

It's very sad that he/she decided not to stay and talk with us Sad

We really are very friendly folk - and we love discussing things

"Never let anyone try to tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern. The West was fully Orthodox for a thousand years; and her venerable liturgy is far older than any of her heresies."
- St. John Maximovitch
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 09:56:01 AM »

It's very sad that he/she decided not to stay and talk with us Sad

Apparently Vlad is not very confident in his views if he waits to post in the wee hours of the night and then doesn't hang around to respond to those who refute his posts.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 09:58:58 AM »

So I agree with John, let's not bother to respond to it. We are just wasting valuable bandwith. And that stuff costs money!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: