OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 01:42:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H1N1 Madness in Catholic Alberta  (Read 1003 times) Average Rating: 0
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« on: December 02, 2009, 01:21:58 AM »

http://wdtprs.com/blog/

Courtesy of Fr. Z, a traditionalist Catholic blogger. Many of the FFSP priests are former SSPX, now in communion with Rome. Now we have the prospect of FFSP parishoners heading off to an SSPX chapel... or the Ukrainian Catholic Option. And in one fell swoop, goodbye communion on the tongue and the Latin Mass (while flouting Vatican norms). All par for the course.

Tuesday, December 01, 2009
Apparently, the local bishop, His Excellency Most. Rev.Frederick Henry is having a fight with the local presence of the FSSP over the distribution of Communion on the tongue.   The bishop issued "norms" for the Diocese of Calgary which forbid Communion on the tongue because of H1N1.  The FSSP and the people frequenting their Masses are not conforming to his wishes.

Bishop Henry issued the directive to cease distribution of Communion on the tongue following the recommendation from the Medical Officer of Health, whom I assume is a government official.

When Bishop learned that at the FSSP parish people were still receiving Holy Communion on the tongue, he ordered that they not celebrate Mass at all.  He suspended the Extraordinary Form Masses.

He also wrote in one piece of correspondence that

"the current pandemic circumstances do not warrant the non-reception of the Body and Blood of the Lord in favour of a spiritual communion."

Get that?   The Bishop won’t allow non – reception of Holy Communion.   So, you must receive only in the hand, and, apparently, you must receive.

I am not sure how that works if you think you are in the state of mortal sin because you are so angry about being bullied, but… I digress.

And speaking of the Ukrainian Catholic option... a peak on the comments page of another blog Rorate Coeli (http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/ )

Just a question for those who advise attending the Eastern Rite: I am an Extraordinary Catholic who finds himself 140 miles from the closest Extraordinary Catholic Mass but in the midst of a strong Ukrainian Catholic population (in East Central Alberta).

When I am unable to drive to the Extraordinary Mass I bring my Extraordinary family to the Ukrainian Rite. Recently, the priest announced that as a result of H1N1 the Holy Eucharist would be distributed using "disposable" wooden sticks (like the kind the doctors use when you say "Ahh").

Sadly, I have seen the sticks fall to the floor twice while being replaced on a dish held by the server. Also, I am curious how these sticks will be handled after the Mass given the absorption of the Precious Blood into the wood?

Being an Extraordinary Catholic, I am not familiar with the history of Eastern Liturgical practice and would be grateful for any clarification on this modification.

I am grateful for having this opportunity to experience the beautiful liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. Perhaps the Saint might have some famous quotation that could shed some light on the Bishop Henry situation ;-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:23:06 AM by John Larocque » Logged
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 01:50:38 AM »

So sad. Also so sad that people seem to have no historical sense. Have they not heard of bubonic plague, tuberculosis, polio, cholera, and any number of other virulent and deadly diseases which have affected humanity over so many centuries?

Perhaps even more importantly, the contents of the chalice is the very body and blood of Christ, is it not? If we approach the chalice with the fear of God and with faith, what have we to fear? To this day, there is no evidence that Orthodox deacons and priests, who routinely consume the remaining contents of the chalice after all others have communed, are more at risk of illness or death, irrespective of period of history.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 03:28:01 AM »

It's shameful the way they treat what they believe is the Lord ...Good Thing there considered heretics by Orthodoxy and there Sacraments aren't real other wise they would be introuble with the Lord.....  but still to read this is sad... Shocked

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
John Larocque
Catholic
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:00:59 PM »

More quotes from the blog comments page...

I live in the diocese and can say first hand that the FSSP are completely blameless in all this.

When the bishop put out these restrictions the pastor tried to modify communion in the safewest way possible. He cut the communion hosts in half and asked us to present ourselves in such a way so that he could just drop the host into our mouths and thus reduced risk of touching on the tongue. That would not satisfy the bishop. Next he asked us not to receive physical communion for the time being but only make a spiritual communion. Though sad at this we were willing to quietly acquiesce if it meant we could have our mass and still fulfill our Sunday obligation but the bishop was implacable. He issued a decree basically trying to force the pastor to give communion in the hand; this is not permissable in the Tridentine mass and he knew it. He essentially put the pastor in an impossible situation. The district superior for the FSSP then tried to suggest a solution to this; they were willing to agree to any modifications short of committing sacrilege and even offered the to proceed with the most outrageous hygiene measures (such as if during communion if there was even a hint of contamination the priest would suspend communion and rigorously sanitise his hands before resuming) but all to no avail. The bishop curtly suspended the Latin mass on Friday with a brief memo and left us all in the lurch.

The FSSP have been quiet in all this and the usual appeals have been lodged to Rome but that takes time. Meanwhile news of this is bound to leak out when you have 500+ people suddenly affected and scrambling for last minute alternatives.

I may also add that this restriction has no objective medical foundation. The medical officers of health have never specifically requested the bishop to do this. At the most they only suggested general health guidelines such as if you are sick and have respiratory symptoms then don't go to mass or don't partake in communion. At no time did they ever suggest to suspend communion in the hand.

This is a very sad state of affairs and I will pray for all involve. I will pray for the bishop that he will soften the hardness of his heart; I will pray for Rome that she may swiftly come to our aid and render us true justice and mercy. Most of all though I will pray for the poor suffering pastor caught in all this. He is going through a living martyrdom. He is a good and holy man who has never said an unkind word about the bishop and everywhere and always has preached obedience and charity towards him and all lawful superiors (but this does not mean one can obey an unlawful command- the bishop cannot force communion in the hand in a tridentine mass in his diocese anymore say than can he suddenly declare that the 4th commandment no longer is applicable to his diocese).

02 December, 2009 05:15
Paisius
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Wherever the wind blows......

Scheherazade

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 12:16:04 PM »

If they are having problems with this guy why not just appeal to the real bishop (the Pope)?

(sorry, couldn't resist)  Tongue

Yours in Christ
Joe

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frédéric Bastiat
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »

I'm sure appeals have and are being filed, probably by the FSSP themselves.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 03:17:50 PM »

Is FSSP the same as the Society of St. Peter?

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »

Yep, that's them.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 03:23:39 PM »

Is FSSP the same as the Society of St. Peter?

Yes, I believe so. I think they go by Priestly Society of St. Peter, though (or Fraternitas Sacerdotalis Sancti Petri). Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: