OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 05:37:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metropolitan JONAH signs Manhattan Declaration  (Read 2593 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: November 20, 2009, 02:33:37 PM »

Metropolitan JONAH has signed the Manhattan Declaration:

Declaration

We, as Orthodox, Catholic, and Evangelical Christians, have gathered, beginning in New York on September 28, 2009, to make the following declaration, which we sign as individuals, not on behalf of our organizations, but speaking to and from our communities.   We act together in obedience to the one true God, the triune God of holiness and love, who has laid total claim on our lives and by that claim calls us with believers in all ages and all nations to seek and defend the good of all who bear his image.  We set forth this declaration in light of the truth that is grounded in Holy Scripture, in natural human reason (which is itself, in our view, the gift of a beneficent God), and in the very nature of the human person.  We call upon all people of goodwill, believers and non-believers alike, to consider carefully and reflect critically on the issues we here address as we, with St. Paul, commend this appeal to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God.

While the whole scope of Christian moral concern, including a special concern for the poor and vulnerable, claims our attention, we are especially troubled that in our nation today the lives of the unborn, the disabled, and the elderly are severely threatened; that the institution of marriage, already buffeted by promiscuity, infidelity and divorce, is in jeopardy of being redefined to accommodate fashionable ideologies; that freedom of religion and the rights of conscience are gravely jeopardized by those who would use the instruments of coercion to compel persons of faith to compromise their deepest convictions.

Because the sanctity of human life, the dignity of marriage as a union of husband and wife, and the freedom of conscience and religion are foundational principles of justice and the common good, we are compelled by our Christian faith to speak and act in their defense.  In this declaration we affirm: 1) the profound, inherent, and equal dignity of every human being as a creature fashioned in the very image of God, possessing inherent rights of equal dignity and life; 2) marriage as a conjugal union of man and woman, ordained by God from the creation, and historically understood by believers and non-believers alike, to be the most basic institution in society and; 3) religious liberty, which is grounded in the character of God, the example of Christ, and the inherent freedom and dignity of human beings created in the divine image.

We are Christians who have joined together across historic lines of ecclesial differences to affirm our right - and, more importantly, to embrace our obligation - to speak and act in defense of these truths.  We pledge to each other, and to our fellow believers, that no power on earth, be it cultural or political, will intimidate us into silence or acquiescence.  It is our duty to proclaim the Gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in its fullness, both in season and out of season.   May God help us not to fail in that duty....

Signers:
96. Dr. J.I. Packer
Board of Governors' Professor of Theology, Regent College (Canada)
97. Metr. Jonah Paffhausen
Primate, Orthodox Church in America (Syosset, N.Y.)
98. Tony Perkins
President, Family Research Council (Washington, D.C.)....

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »

Excellent! I noticed that this was also signed by Bishop Basil and a handful other Orthodox priests and lay people. As for the rest of the signers, it is a veritable creme de la creme of evangelicals and RC.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:13:30 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »

Why is "Religious Liberty" included?  Since when is that a core principle of Orthodoxy or Roman Catholicism?  I would think they would support "Enforced/Imposed Religious Identity" or something along those lines!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 05:13:54 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »

I notice that "Orthodox" is listed before "Catholic" and "Evangelical". Roll Eyes

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 06:30:37 PM »

Political commentary on this news event has been moved to this thread on the Politics board:  Metropolitan JONAH signs Manhattan Declaration - Political Commentary...  If you would like to continue to follow the political aspects of this discussion but don't have access to the Private Forum, please send Fr. Chris a PM requesting this permission.  Additionally, if you would like to offer your commentary on the politics of the Manhattan Declaration, please post them on the Politics thread, not here in the public forum.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:37:24 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:08:57 PM »

Why is "Religious Liberty" included?  Since when is that a core principle of Orthodoxy or Roman Catholicism?  I would think they would support "Enforced/Imposed Religious Identity" or something along those lines!  Grin

Hasn't been in the past and continues even today as a difficult concept for some (Metropolitan Philip for example) who mouth the words without really understanding them.

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »

I notice that "Orthodox" is listed before "Catholic" and "Evangelical". Roll Eyes
Why the rolled eyes? What are you trying to say?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 11:17:42 AM »

I'm wondering of the writers of the document non-controversially and mutually agreed to put "Orthodox" first, or if there was some wrangling and teeth-pulling involved.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 12:12:02 PM »

I'm wondering of the writers of the document non-controversially and mutually agreed to put "Orthodox" first, or if there was some wrangling and teeth-pulling involved.
Does it matter?

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
DavidH
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 01:16:14 PM »

Orthodox.... Catholic.... Evangelical. Yep, in the correct historical sequence. :-)
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 02:52:53 PM »

Hysterically correct Wink

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 07:06:51 PM »

Would you rather we pile the three words on top of each other and make that list impossible to read? Huh
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 11:09:52 PM »

Signings and listings were most likely determined by rock, paper, scissors...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 11:18:09 PM »

As for the rest of the signers, it is a veritable creme de la creme of evangelicals and RC.
Hoorah. The creme de la creme of the heterodox.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 11:36:22 PM »

As for the rest of the signers, it is a veritable creme de la creme of evangelicals and RC.

As befits the creme de la creme of the Orthodox.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 11:56:22 PM »

As befits the creme de la creme of the Orthodox.
Indeed.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »

Would you rather we pile the three words on top of each other and make that list impossible to read? Huh
But then we'd have to figure why one of them was chosen to go on top. Wink

Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 06:48:45 AM »

Thank God the American Churches have finally found their public voice on religious and moral issues.   Look at these two phrases from the Manhattan Declaration...  signed also by the Orthodox.   

"We will not be intimidated into silence or acquiescence or the violation of our consciences by any power on earth, be it cultural or political, regardless of the consequences to ourselves."

"We will fully and ungrudgingly render to Caesar what is Caesar's. But under no circumstances will we render to Caesar what is God's."

And in Europe, a similar act of defiance by the Churches.  In both Italy and Greece the Church has had a belly full of the secular power's self-certitude that it is the infallible arbiter of morals and symbols in the nation.  The Catholics and the Orthodox refuse to comply with the EU demand and they will not remove crucifixes and icons from schools and public buildings.

This commentary from an Italian church journal is worth a read:

The "Manhattan Declaration": The Manifesto That's Shaking America

http://chiesa.espresso.repubblica.it/articolo/1341135?eng=y

88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »

The Orthodox signatories are:

48. His Grace, The Right Reverend Bishop Basil Essey
The Right Reverend Bishop of the Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America (Wichita, KS)

62. Fr. Chad Hatfield
Chancellor, CEO. And Archpriest, St Vladimir's Orthodox Theological Seminary (Yonkers, NY)

68. Fr. Johannes L. Jacobse
President, American Orthodox Institute and Editor, OrthodoxyToday.org (Naples, FL)

110. Metr. Jonah Paffhausen
Primate, Orthodox Church in America (Syosset, NY)

120. Fr. Patrick Reardon
Pastor, All SaintsÕ Antiochian Orthodox Church (Chicago, IL)

153. Fr. Alexander F. C. Webster, PhD
Archpriest, Orthodox Church in America and Professorial Lecturer, The George Washington University (Ashburn, VA)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:00:25 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Tags: abortion marriage homosexuality Manhattan Declaration 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: