OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 02:10:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Just out of curiosity...  (Read 2338 times) Average Rating: 0
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: November 24, 2009, 11:31:50 PM »

I've wondered this for a while. How many converts do you think the Amish get? Do they even accept converts? I've never heard of anyone converting to the Amish church. It doesn't seem like they would have a lot I would think. Anyone know?
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:21:21 AM »

(I am not Amish, but I have worked and lived among the 2 types and have Mennonite friends.  My response may contain errors.)

It is rare that anyone seeks to become Amish.  Some people will enter the Mennonites community through conversion.  Most Amish elders speak English which they use to purchase supplies or sell their wares, but at community/home events they will speak a type of German ( Pennsylvania German or Swiss German).   Their are two subtypes of Amish and they will speak dialects based on their “order”. 

IMO, to join the Amish, you would have to live among them for years.  They value God, humility and honesty.  You would have live as their neighbor for years to prove that you have the same values before approaching community elders.  You could easily join their community as an adopted child. The Amish have serious genetic problems in their community so some adopt children from the foster care system and some adopt internationally.  Last summer I talked with an Old Order Amish, who was selling pies along the road near Erie, PA, with her two, Chinese adopted children.

The Mennonites in Pennsylvania are “plain” people like the Amish but have electricity for necessary household items and their workshops/barns.  They will own one plain car or truck for work.  Their community is more inviting and they would welcome you to worship with them.   They actively ask people to worship with them (in non-aggressive ways).  {I just looked at the Mennonite Church USA website and was shocked to see women without their hair kapps.  There must be sects of Mennonites that are radically different from Pennsylvania Mennonites.}
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:40 PM »

Ok, that's interesting and its the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks.
ms.hoorah
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 09:15:11 PM »

I saw this today and thought you might find it interesting. It is about a new Amish community and their new neighbors.  The name Hochstelter/Hochstetler/Hostetler is a common surname among the Old Order Amish.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2009/11/29/maine_town_quickly_embraces_new_amish_neighbors/?page=1
searn77

Faith: Orthodox Old Calendarist
Jurisdiction: Autonomous Orthodox Metropolia of the Americas & the British Isles

St. Philaret (Voznesensky) of New York

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 11:15:10 PM »

(This is a little off topic to the OP but wasn't sure if it was too much off-topic to be put in a new thread or not)

Has anyone else heard of the Amish man who converted to Orthodoxy and wants to start an Orthodox amish-like community? I remember reading this not to long ago but can't seem to find anything about him or his idea of starting this community anymore.

Let us the faithful now come together to praise our father, protector and teacher the pillar of the Orthodox faith and firm defender of piety even the wondrous hierarch Philaret and let us glorify our Saviour Who has granted us his incorrupt relics as a manifest sign of his sanctity.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 02:24:20 AM »

I'm not aware of an Amish convert that wanted to do that, but I do know that there was some interest among certain Orthodox Christians in setting up a similar situation. There was a thread on Euphrosynoscafe.com about it, and there was also an entire (though rather small) forum dedicated to that idea, and living simply in general (I can't remember the website address of that forum though, and it may not even be around anymore... I believe Ebor also posted there, she might have a link to it).

Large Marge sent me...
GammaRay
The Awful Preacher
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

Alexandros Papadiamantis

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 12:50:05 PM »

Has anyone else heard of the Amish man who converted to Orthodoxy and wants to start an Orthodox amish-like community? I remember reading this not to long ago but can't seem to find anything about him or his idea of starting this community anymore.
When I read the OP, I wished there was an Amish-like Orthodox community.

Though I've walked the valley of the shadow of the death, I've fallen not. Not completely. Not yet.
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »

All I have to say to the prospect is:  The lack or limitation of modern technology...  the horror!

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »

I know for a fact there was an Amish elder (I believe of the Old Order) who converted and became an Orthodox priest; I corresponded with him some years ago.  Alas, it was from an old email account that no longer exists and I cannot for the life of me remember his name  Huh

I don't think he was actively trying to start an intentional community, but I could be wrong.  I believe he was just very happy to be in the Church and a very Godly man.  When I first emailed him and asked him if I could ask him some questions regarding his conversion, he said, "I will answer any and all, so long as they are for the glory of God!"

I knew then and there that the Church had received a keeper, so to speak. Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »

All I have to say to the prospect is:  The lack or limitation of modern technology...  the horror!
I live and work in Amish country (though a few years ago they built their own school, and now their children do not attend our public school anymore). It's an unfortunate misunderstanding that the Amish eschew technology. Actually, technology has nothing to do with their lifestyle. What they denounce is being dependent on "the world"--those outside their community. It is for that reason they will not subscribe to phone service or connect to a power grid; if they did, they would be dependent on the world for those services. Similarly, they do not buy manufactured goods made in "the world," such as automobiles, because they do not want to be dependent on that manufacturer. They can build their own buggies, and therefore that technology is acceptable.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 08:25:50 PM »

^^...as long as there are no pneumatic tires involved. After all, such tires are satanic as per this verse:
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »

Some of the Russian Old Believer practices reminded me a lot of the Amish/Mennonite ways.
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Icon and Cross (international space station)

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »

I've wondered this for a while. How many converts do you think the Amish get? Do they even accept converts? I've never heard of anyone converting to the Amish church. It doesn't seem like they would have a lot I would think. Anyone know?

Good question. Pittsburgh is right in the middle of two Ahmish / Mennonite big groups. Lancaster PA, and the one in Ohio. We tend to see alot of Ahmish/Mennonite teens who leave to work in the suburbs of Pittsburgh.  I don't know how long they stay in the world before they choose to go back home for good. But it's not uncommon to see them.

I have a hispanic friend (who is also a christian rapper, a boxer, and a soon to be bible scholar....he just got his BA and was just accepted to a school for his masters) who teaches at a Mennonite highschool. He also goes to one of their churches. But he is with the more mainstream mennonites. My mother takes tripps to their community (both in Lancaster as well as in Ohio) almost every year.

David Bercot joined the Mennonites some years ago. And I know that there has been some cross polination between some Russian Old Believers and some Anabaptist groups.

But outside of that I really have no idea if they have modern converts or not.

I do love the Ahmish and admire them in many ways.......in some ways they remind me of monks and how some of them live.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:29:48 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

http://ancientchristiandefender.blogspot.com/
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »

All I have to say to the prospect is:  The lack or limitation of modern technology...  the horror!
I live and work in Amish country (though a few years ago they built their own school, and now their children do not attend our public school anymore). It's an unfortunate misunderstanding that the Amish eschew technology. Actually, technology has nothing to do with their lifestyle. What they denounce is being dependent on "the world"--those outside their community. It is for that reason they will not subscribe to phone service or connect to a power grid; if they did, they would be dependent on the world for those services. Similarly, they do not buy manufactured goods made in "the world," such as automobiles, because they do not want to be dependent on that manufacturer. They can build their own buggies, and therefore that technology is acceptable.

It's not always acceptable. I recall reading an article in where their was an argument about something that the old order Mennonites built.....in some parts of PA, the old order Mennonite kids are allowed to play with Ahmish kids.....and in some places they live side by side.

But their was an argument about a trackter or buggy.....I forgot what it was, but the kids made tires for it and their was an argument about it because it made the tracker or buggy or whatever go too fast.

So they do argue about technology that even they make. To them, they need to know how something will affect their community at large and as a whole.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:21:41 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

"loving one's enemies does not mean loving wickedness, ungodliness, adultery, or theft. Rather, it means loving the theif, the ungodly, and the adulterer." Clement of Alexandria 195 A.D.

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 01:24:44 PM »

^^...as long as there are no pneumatic tires involved. After all, such tires are satanic as per this verse:
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience

The tires that these old order Mennonite kids/teens made didn't have air in it. And I think they put them on a tracker and it caused a ruckus in their community. There maybe an article about it somewhere online.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 01:25:13 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 01:26:29 PM »

Some of the Russian Old Believer practices reminded me a lot of the Amish/Mennonite ways.

Yeah, their relationship goes way back.....for centuries.

ICXC NIKA

Rosehip
Archon

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 02:02:15 PM »

ICXC NIKA

Can you provide sources, please?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 02:03:05 PM by Rosehip » Logged

+ Our dear sister Martha (Rosehip) passed away on Dec 20, 2010.  May her memory be eternal! +
jnorm888
Jnorm
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2009, 03:11:06 PM »

ICXC NIKA

Can you provide sources, please?

I read a book about it....yeah it was biased.....but what book isn't? But I read it many years ago when I was still following Bercot's ministry.

The book was called "The Russians' Secret:

http://www.anabaptists.org/books/russians/

http://molokane.org/molokan/History/Russians_Secret/index.htm

Other than that, I really don't have any other sources. Sorry.

ICXC NIKA
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 03:14:12 PM by jnorm888 » Logged

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2009, 09:51:39 PM »

Very true. Especially among the priestless Old Believers in Russia. After the condemnation of Old Belief by the Russian Church in 1666, many Old Believers were put to death, so many fled to the wilderness and lived in isolation from the outside world.
Tags: Amish 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: